PDA

View Full Version : BuildRP Server

Sleggie
29 Apr 2014, 03:34pm
Hello everyone. I'd like to present an idea I've been thinking about and working on for a while now. Ill present positive arguments, negative arguments, possibilities and facts about this idea. Let's begin.

First off, the idea is about getting a BuildRP server.

-BuildRP is NOT the same thing as regular darkRP. I'll admit that regular darkRP is boring, repetitive and the people there are annoying as hell. On the other hand, buildRP mixes GMod's awesome sandbox with roleplaying. Furthermore, those that play buildRP tend to be easier to manage and a bit more mature, most of the times.

-The average successful buildRP server is normally full very often.

-There aren't many good and normal buildRP servers. That's why most of them are empty. Those that are full at the moment, are because people are desperate to find a normal and fun server. If we were to get a buildRP server, I would wish for it to be perfect. If it is perfect (or almost), the server is certain to be popular with time.

-I've had experience with buildRP servers and know what people want. Friendly players, minimal restrictions and an active staff that keeps improving the server. I've been working on my own script lately and am almost done with it. I've tested it and it works fine. "But what's so special about your script sluggie?" - let me explain: my script has
-fun, original and balanced jobs including donator jobs and 1 job for administrators
-a balanced money system so that people won't be able to buy amazing guns the first 5 minutes they're on
-epic m9k weapons
-a TON of amazing money printers
-drugs
-a nice hud that says "STEAMGAMERS BUILDRP" on it ---- This doesn't include an f4 menu. Those cost about 20$.
-an anti-minge system, so we don't need admins on it 24/7
-MOST IMPORTANTLY, GOOD AND FUN TOOLS TO BUILD THAT MOST SERVERS DON'T HAVE.

-In adition to all that, this might save lots and lots of work for the AOs+ to set the server up.

-Positive and negative point:

===There are some high chances that, if the server is popular, we might get many new members and donations.

===This requires more attention that other servers like TTT. But with the increase of admins, this shouldn't be a problem. Especially with the anti-minge tools.

-Yes, most of the work is done if you chose to pick my work, but this will still require a MOTD thread with the rules and a loading screen.

In my opinion, there's nothing to lose but a chance at a possibly successful server. What do you think? Is this idea worth a shot? If yes, tell us why and if not, tell us why as well. Thank you!

***if you have ANY questions (for example, "what are the jobs?") let me know***

harpo
29 Apr 2014, 03:45pm
Seems like an interesting new server addition that could either pay off in the long run or just end up failing miserably not my choice to decide but it would seem like a new thing that could be done unless its already failed before. Also I didnt know your name was sluggie.

Extreme Potatoes
29 Apr 2014, 03:58pm
Sleggie, i'm gonna try to say this in the nicest way possible, but there's a reason why your server didn't last long. BuildRP is a type of server that would just die out within a week, due to the low amount of people who play it, and it basically being gm_construct & DarkRP blended awfully together. Plus, it takes hours for people to download all the files for the server. Personally, I don't think this would be the best idea for a new server.

Sleggie
29 Apr 2014, 04:06pm
Sleggie, i'm gonna try to say this in the nicest way possible, but there's a reason why your server didn't last long. BuildRP is a type of server that would just die out within a week, due to the low amount of people who play it, and it basically being gm_construct & DarkRP blended awfully together. Plus, it takes hours for people to download all the files for the server. Personally, I don't think this would be the best idea for a new server.

My server wasn't a BuildRP, it had 10 slots and its down because we stopped paying for it. This isn't the same thing. I've already seen a BuildRP start fresh and it grew quickly and successfully. It was up for years but now its gone.

Elemental
29 Apr 2014, 07:17pm
Seems like a fun, new idea. Personally I'd love a nice friendly RP server and who better than SG.

What I am worried about tho, is like Potatoes said what would the downloading times be? (Initial and average per map)

Sleggie
29 Apr 2014, 07:24pm
Seems like a fun, new idea. Personally I'd love a nice friendly RP server and who better than SG.

What I am worried about tho, is like Potatoes said what would the downloading times be? (Initial and average per map)

Its extremely short. Tools take no time to download and all the custom jobs are part of a script. The money printers and drugs are a default prop with a script too. The only thing that will take bit time is the M9K weapons. But even at that, if you have a good fastDL, its quite fast.

Spyder
30 Apr 2014, 12:48pm
1) never played any RP server on GMod so I guess I'd give it a shot

2) DL times is a bit of a scare - I don't feel like waiting longer than 2-3 minutes to play on a server

3) new additions + updates sounds nice - more shit to do and keep people playing

4) population - this is the most concerning matter, it'd be nice if this doesn't end up like our Rust server: getting played for about a month or 2 then getting killed.

Prez
30 Apr 2014, 01:05pm
hm, I've never played buildRP but played DarkRP/PERP a lot when we had those servers a long time ago. It could be cool but I'm not 100% on how popular we could make it (I know you said there are a few big ones but how easy/hard will it be for us to push ours to that level, rather than being empty like the majority?).

Moo Moo Viking
30 Apr 2014, 07:43pm
Just saying this now. As much as we would like one server PERP :cry: it won't work and will not happen the thing is SG is not a RP community it took a long time to get everyone into perp normally without fucking everything up allot of people where banned from the servers fro rule breaking and it would require an admin 24/7 on the server to be able to keep it ongoing with minimal rule-breaking, it will bring new players to the servers (Mostly kids after school) and many off them will never signup on the forums.

DarkRP, BuildRP, PERP or any kind off RP will not work on SG been tried many times and never has it worked.

Spelling bad? eat shit :(

Sleggie
30 Apr 2014, 08:08pm
Just saying this now. As much as we would like one server PERP :cry: it won't work and will not happen the thing is SG is not a RP community it took a long time to get everyone into perp normally without fucking everything up allot of people where banned from the servers fro rule breaking and it would require an admin 24/7 on the server to be able to keep it ongoing with minimal rule-breaking, it will bring new players to the servers (Mostly kids after school) and many off them will never signup on the forums.

DarkRP, BuildRP, PERP or any kind off RP will not work on SG been tried many times and never has it worked.

Spelling bad? eat shit :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you are basing your opinion on SG's previous experiences with a perp server. This is not the case. We currently have many more admins and with the anti minging addons such as gsurf, things should be a lot easier. But I totally understand your point of view.

Moo Moo Viking
30 Apr 2014, 08:12pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that you are basing your opinion on SG's previous experiences with a perp server. This is not the case. We currently have many more admins and with the anti minging addons such as gsurf, things should be a lot easier. But I totally understand your point of view.

Not just PERP. DarkRP was a cluster fuck off things. this would work for a month or less then it would die out.

Zaraki
30 Apr 2014, 10:48pm
Servers like this die out pretty fast in this community. We don't have the playerbase to support the server :/

Pan32
1 May 2014, 01:38am
I'm about 99% sure we had this conversation on chatbox about BuildRP, but I'll explain again: if theres two expressions that don't mix at all is steamgamers and roleplay. RP, DarkRP, PERP, they were all tried and they all failed (partial exception on PERP), so I believe that build a server like buildrp (takes time plus lua can be a bitch) will not only be lauching money out of the window, but also a waste of time.

Zaraki
1 May 2014, 09:16am
Roleplaying servers aren't a good reason to stay with a community.
The current playerbase that we have can't populate our classic servers on moments that they really need to be populated.
Let's be smart here and just agree that there would be a decent amount of people needed online 24/7 for people to come and play on our specific server, one of many hundreds..

Let's use our free time in finding servers that could repopulate our community, but the search (CSGO Napalm, Ze, .. **cough**) will cost us effort and balls to make that risk :)

<3

Sleggie
1 May 2014, 02:42pm
Roleplaying servers aren't a good reason to stay with a community.
The current playerbase that we have can't populate our classic servers on moments that they really need to be populated.
Let's be smart here and just agree that there would be a decent amount of people needed online 24/7 for people to come and play on our specific server, one of many hundreds..

Let's use our free time in finding servers that could repopulate our community, but the search (CSGO Napalm, Ze, .. **cough**) will cost us effort and balls to make that risk :)

<3

I agree that population is important. But can we also agree to have fun? We are currently just focusing on getting servers to populate others. But in the end, all we want is a place to relax and play. The population part in this suggestion was to add to the possibilities in could bring, in addition to an epic gaming experience that I am (and will) try to bring with this server if, of course, this idea gets accepted.

Secondly, why do we need to be an RP community? All it takes is people trying their best to keep the server healthy and 1 forum section for suggestions and stuff. Its not like we're a chain of professional darkRP servers. Its just one buildRP server. Its basically sandbox with some roleplay to give your creations a purpose. I've seen other buildRP server communities that had other servers in other games and everything was going fine. And I don't think we tried buildRP. If I am mistaken and we already did, I'm sure it wasn't these past 2 years. Now is the time to get this type of server. I know many people are getting fed up of new servers that die after a week, but Ill try my best here.

---
my progress

+fixed jobs
ALL

Citizen
Gun Dealer
Mayor
Medic
Police Officer
Police Chief
Drug Dealer
Hobo
Thief
Banker
Hitman
Security Guard
Gangster
Gangster Leader

DONOR

Terrorist
Terrorist Leader
Arms Services
Army Private
Army Sergeant

ADMIN

Administrative Bureau Agent (admin on duty)

SUPERADMIN

Admistrative Bureau Commander (admin on duty)
-adding donor, admin and superadmin groups
+fixed weapons
-fixed addons (tools, anti minge system)
+fixed drugs
+fixed defaults
+fixed agendas & chats
+hud
-finalization & review

SideArmSavage
2 May 2014, 07:36pm
i like that idea, i hope we can get a server like this.

BlackWhite
3 May 2014, 03:51pm
like the idea, but i doubt it will work. More people rather play new game than old game like gmod.

nublife
3 May 2014, 04:16pm
I think we should just stick with what we have and maybe stop adding new servers.. The community isn't the same as before! so I dont think there's going to be people everyday on buildRP. But I like the idea !

Sleggie
3 May 2014, 04:31pm
like the idea, but i doubt it will work. More people rather play new game than old game like gmod.

Are you saying GMod is old? If you are.... *cough* *cough*

I think we should just stick with what we have and maybe stop adding new servers.. The community isn't the same as before! so I dont think there's going to be people everyday on buildRP. But I like the idea !

Unlike other game modes or games, buildRP seems to have a lot of people every day; it keeps its players. For example, here are 3 different buildRP servers

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/images/graphs/server_players.php?GSID=3544637&start=-1m&request=07516873690765351
http://cache.www.gametracker.com/images/graphs/server_players.php?GSID=2845099&start=-1m&request=08163191142957658
http://cache.www.gametracker.com/images/graphs/server_players.php?GSID=3826089&start=-1m&request=03855695181991905

nublife
3 May 2014, 04:49pm
Are you saying GMod is old? If you are.... *cough* *cough*

Unlike other game modes or games, buildRP seems to have a lot of people every day; it keeps its players. For example, here are 3 different buildRP servers

http://cache.www.gametracker.com/images/graphs/server_players.php?GSID=3544637&start=-1m&request=07516873690765351
http://cache.www.gametracker.com/images/graphs/server_players.php?GSID=2845099&start=-1m&request=08163191142957658
http://cache.www.gametracker.com/images/graphs/server_players.php?GSID=3826089&start=-1m&request=03855695181991905

yeah, I understand. But these are 3 popular RPservers. There's more that they don't have that many players in them

Sleggie
3 May 2014, 06:02pm
yeah, I understand. But these are 3 popular RPservers. There's more that they don't have that many players in them

Of course they're populated, they're the only ones that are half decent enough to have people play on them. Observe this. (http://i.imgur.com/GwRiaAa.jpg)

high rws
6 May 2014, 07:42pm
nobody would play it

Sleggie
9 May 2014, 10:28pm
Bump.

floffypus
10 May 2014, 07:59am
I too believe that a server like this wouldn't survive for long!

Paralyzed
10 May 2014, 08:07am
I don't see this happen tbh.

Banana Joe
10 May 2014, 08:08am
Besides the fact that SG hasn't succeeded in creating any RP server and keeping it alive for long(not to forget the shitstorm of drama), there's not really much support from the community itself on this.

Sleggie
10 May 2014, 08:48am
Besides the fact that SG hasn't succeeded in creating any RP server and keeping it alive for long(not to forget the shitstorm of drama), there's not really much support from the community itself on this.

I'll admit that the current community doesn't like this, but there are currently people seeking for a good buildrp server. That's where "giving this a shot" comes in. Besides, if its setting up the server you're worried about, keep in mind that I've got the hard part done. It just takes a 26 slot gmod server and contacting me. If you people are worried of getting gmod people on our forums, we'll just give them a forum section, tell them that if they donate they get cool stuff and it shouldn't be too much of a bother. This isn't a huge project that should dramatically change SG either; I see this as a simple, fun, well made server where we can try something new and different and well... See where it takes us. Furthermore, servers like this survive for long.

Sorry if I repeat myself.

-finished making rule list

Prez
10 May 2014, 05:35pm
I'll admit that the current community doesn't like this, but there are currently people seeking for a good buildrp server.

So you're hinging this all on a completely new player base organically coming in and populating the server, without the support of the current userbase?

Besides, if its setting up the server you're worried about, keep in mind that I've got the hard part done. It just takes a 26 slot gmod server and contacting me.

I don't think the issue is with setting up a physical server honestly. The actual setup of the DarkRP and PERP servers when we did have them went pretty well, and the current higher ups have a good bit of knowledge with it too.

If you people are worried of getting gmod people on our forums, we'll just give them a forum section, tell them that if they donate they get cool stuff and it shouldn't be too much of a bother.

Sounds like a weak way of integrating potential new users into our community IMO. I doubt that just giving an RP server a forum section would entice them to join our forums (ie. look at our current game-server forums - they're not really used much. Who's to say that an RP one would be used by new players?)

This isn't a huge project that should dramatically change SG either; I see this as a simple, fun, well made server where we can try something new and different and well... See where it takes us.

By your words, there's already a low bar set for this potential server. Sure it might end up being well-made, but the fact that you said that it would mostly be made up of new users finding the server randomly (as opposed to the current userbase playing a big hand in populating it, which isn't likely to happen anyways), I don't honestly see it taking us towards a successful future.

Furthermore, servers like this survive for long.

At this point, I'm not so sure. Sorry if this whole post comes off as rude, it's just what I honestly think about this possibility.

Fishey
10 May 2014, 05:57pm
anything but 1944 rp sucks

Zaraki
10 May 2014, 06:23pm
anything but 1944 rp sucks

What's that mate??

AznRule
10 May 2014, 08:32pm
What's that mate??
I think World War 2 rp.

Metal
12 May 2014, 04:17pm
SG and RP do not mix.

Would play RP Again 10/10

Sleggie
12 May 2014, 04:34pm
SG and RP do not mix.

Would play RP Again 10/10

Wait wut.

Im finished with the code and now all that's left is testing it. I've examined the addons and stuff, and I've noticed that its pretty fucking neat. Im having some trouble with the anti-minge addons, but that shouldn't really bother too much at the moment. If we get the server, we'll need to set limits with fadmin and adjust other shit, but overall its pretty much complete. There are many jobs, printers, drugs, guns and building tools so people can have the best experience yet.

Donators get access to:

-Terrorist job
-Terrorist leader job
-Army private job
-Army sergeant job
-Any future jobs to come
-Chrome money printer (cheaper and more efficiant)
-Any other advantages to come

At this point, I don't really feel like going any further (although I already went the extra mile) because SG getting this server is not confirmed yet. Hopefully my work will encourage us getting it, but we'll see.

Pan32
12 May 2014, 04:40pm
Wait wut.

Im finished with the code and now all that's left is testing it. I've examined the addons and stuff, and I've noticed that its pretty fucking neat. Im having some trouble with the anti-minge addons, but that shouldn't really bother too much at the moment. If we get the server, we'll need to set limits with fadmin and adjust other shit, but overall its pretty much complete. There are many jobs, printers, drugs, guns and building tools so people can have the best experience yet.

Donators get access to:

-Terrorist job
-Terrorist leader job
-Army private job
-Army sergeant job
-Any future jobs to come
-Chrome money printer (cheaper and more efficiant)
-Any other advantages to come

At this point, I don't really feel like going any further (although I already went the extra mile) because SG getting this server is not confirmed yet. Hopefully my work will encourage us getting it, but we'll see.

From re-reading all the posts, theres not a lot of solid support to be honest and unless theres a sudden change of opinions, I doubt this will become a server.

Wertles
12 May 2014, 05:07pm
Doesn't seem like anyone here but you wants it soooooooo
probably not

Sleggie
12 May 2014, 05:50pm
Yeah but once again, what is there to lose? We still haven't seen what will happen. Despite some not supporting this idea, the fact that other people are looking for this type of server is kinda reassuring. Ive gone out of my way to analyze other servers to come to a conclusion here. I wouldn't keep defending this idea if I knew it was 100% not going to work.

Paralyzed
12 May 2014, 06:10pm
I understand that you are simply trying to defend your idea, because YOU seem to think it will work, while the rest of the community shows no support at all regarding this idea. Let me help you move on and tell you that it most likely WON'T happen, seeing that there is no support from any of the higher-ups regarding this at all therefore you should stop trying. Not trying to just throw your idea into the trash bin, but you are honestly wasting your own time, not only by constantly developing the game-mode but as well by constantly replying with your point of view. It really only is YOU who seems to support the idea, while there's 10+ people that constantly tell you it won't work.

If you really are desperate in having a server for this BuildRP, I suggest you pay for your own server and if it really works so well as you seem to believe it will, you could simply run the server from just the donations you receive from the players. If you can't run the server entirely from the donations you receive, then I'm afraid it doesn't run as well as you thought it would.

Sleggie
12 May 2014, 06:17pm
I understand that you are simply trying to defend your idea, because YOU seem to think it will work, while the rest of the community shows no support at all regarding this idea. Let me help you move on and tell you that it most likely WON'T happen, seeing that there is no support from any of the higher-ups regarding this at all therefore you should stop trying. Not trying to just throw your idea into the trash bin, but you are honestly wasting your own time, not only by constantly developing the game-mode but as well by constantly replying with your point of view. It really only is YOU who seems to support the idea, while there's 10+ people that constantly tell you it won't work.

If you really are desperate in having a server for this BuildRP, I suggest you pay for your own server and if it really works so well as you seem to believe it will, you could simply run the server from just the donations you receive from the players. If you can't run the server entirely from the donations you receive, then I'm afraid it doesn't run as well as you thought it would.

By that logic, we should have way less servers because not each server brings in the necessary donations that we need to keep the community alive. For example, I doubt ZRiot pays for itself.

Also, its not like we could really predict what happens all the time. Just look at our NS, Starbound and Rust servers. We tried it, and it didn't work, but the idea still had support. Sure it was popular for a bit, but look at it now.

XeNo
12 May 2014, 06:41pm
I'm not sure if Sleggies is purposefully leaving out this fact to eventually try to "stick it to you" all or what, but I already told him if we have the resources I will be putting up his BuildRP server since he's volunteering to do basically all the coding/setting up for us.

At this point if we have resources there's absolutely no reason why NOT to put up new servers and see how they go. Obviously while Sleggie puts work into it, we will be adjusting things after it's actually live. If it flops, it flops and we don't really waste that many resources doing it. If not, we gain something with no effort.

Perhaps if you guys have better server ideas, you will go through the effort of entirely setting it up for us and we will put up your server ideas as well. In the meantime I would appreciate you stop knocking members down for attempting to contribute something to this community. It's the exact reason why people may not be willing to try and offer any contribution, seeing as unless they are popular players they will just get shot down from pure bias. I say pure bias because I absolutely do not see logic in any of your arguments towards Sleggie regarding this server. You guys may not be interested, but to say that means it's pointless to try out a new server when he's willing to do all the work to put it together so it effectively costs us nothing is incredibly stupid.

Nuclear Onion
12 May 2014, 10:37pm
Not gonna lie, I'm proud of sleggies effort. Many of us just shut him down without a second thought for reasons I don't understand. He's putting more effort in helping the community out then many others (I include myself in this)

He seems to know what he is doing. Why not give it a try? If it flops, it flops. If it's a hit, then sleggie's efforts paid off. I'll definitely try it if it does come together one day.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pan32
13 May 2014, 07:53am
I'm not sure if Sleggies is purposefully leaving out this fact to eventually try to "stick it to you" all or what, but I already told him if we have the resources I will be putting up his BuildRP server since he's volunteering to do basically all the coding/setting up for us.

At this point if we have resources there's absolutely no reason why NOT to put up new servers and see how they go. Obviously while Sleggie puts work into it, we will be adjusting things after it's actually live. If it flops, it flops and we don't really waste that many resources doing it. If not, we gain something with no effort.

Perhaps if you guys have better server ideas, you will go through the effort of entirely setting it up for us and we will put up your server ideas as well. In the meantime I would appreciate you stop knocking members down for attempting to contribute something to this community. It's the exact reason why people may not be willing to try and offer any contribution, seeing as unless they are popular players they will just get shot down from pure bias. I say pure bias because I absolutely do not see logic in any of your arguments towards Sleggie regarding this server. You guys may not be interested, but to say that means it's pointless to try out a new server when he's willing to do all the work to put it together so it effectively costs us nothing is incredibly stupid.

I found this to be quite insulting to be honest. Last time I checked, this is a place where we give our opinions, and considering those as bias (which some can be considered as such) without a filter seems quite unacceptable. Yes, Sleggie is doing all the work and I appreciate it, it's a fair effort, but to be fair, a server needs a kickstarter, a group of people that are willing to grind around the server seeing if it brings population (an empty server will remain empty), and thats pretty much the objective of a suggestion on this section, seek for that support and in my opinion, theres slim to none.

tl;dr: if you're gonna consider every single opinion from the community biased, why the hell does this section exists?

FullMetal2
13 May 2014, 08:48am
I found this to be quite insulting to be honest. Last time I checked, this is a place where we give our opinions, and considering those as bias (which some can be considered as such) without a filter seems quite unacceptable. Yes, Sleggie is doing all the work and I appreciate it, it's a fair effort, but to be fair, a server needs a kickstarter, a group of people that are willing to grind around the server seeing if it brings population (an empty server will remain empty), and thats pretty much the objective of a suggestion on this section, seek for that support and in my opinion, theres slim to none.

tl;dr: if you're gonna consider every single opinion from the community biased, why the hell does this section exists?

The difference here is exactly what Xeno has said.
Back when I was here, if we wanted a server we posted "Lets get a gungame server" or "Lets get a BC2 server"

Right now, Sleggie has put the time and effort in trying to get a server for build.
Yes, as of now, we all kinda think it wont work because its RP, But its on Gmod and the gametype is fun.
He has the code, we got the dedi. How many servers are dead right now in SG?
So what is the harm in letting him get this server for a 1-2 week trial.

Who knows people might join and enjoy it and check out our other servers.

Its not like anyone else is doing what he is doing.

Pan32
13 May 2014, 10:00am
The difference here is exactly what Xeno has said.
Back when I was here, if we wanted a server we posted "Lets get a gungame server" or "Lets get a BC2 server"

Right now, Sleggie has put the time and effort in trying to get a server for build.
Yes, as of now, we all kinda think it wont work because its RP, But its on Gmod and the gametype is fun.
He has the code, we got the dedi. How many servers are dead right now in SG?
So what is the harm in letting him get this server for a 1-2 week trial.

Who knows people might join and enjoy it and check out our other servers.

Its not like anyone else is doing what he is doing.

Thats not my point, or at least what I was trying to transmit. What I wanted to explain is that is wrong to publicly devalue the opinion of people from the community just because they didn't say yes. If you're making a thread of a suggestion and expect everyone to always say yes and everything is perfect, you are not really seeking for opinion. The opinions do not matter 100% as it always comes down to a ao to take the job and build the server, but its a factor, and completely trash such factor is just not the way to go. He could've just simply said most thing we're ready and since we have free space, lets give it a try, but instead he decided to just go all out and criticize others opinion. Thats what's grinding my gears.

Frosty
13 May 2014, 10:02am
We all know people said no because it's Sleggie who suggested it, wake up

Spyder
13 May 2014, 08:44pm
We all know people said no because it's Sleggie who suggested it, wake up

Lmfao frosty.

Anyways, like I've said. I have nothing against this, I've never played RP before on GMod so I'd be willing to try it if it gets set up or unless sleggie can run a ded server and get some people to test.

Sleggie if ya need help testing or anything just add me on Steam.

XeNo
13 May 2014, 11:09pm

Thats not my point, or at least what I was trying to transmit. What I wanted to explain is that is wrong to publicly devalue the opinion of people from the community just because they didn't say yes. If you're making a thread of a suggestion and expect everyone to always say yes and everything is perfect, you are not really seeking for opinion. The opinions do not matter 100% as it always comes down to a ao to take the job and build the server, but its a factor, and completely trash such factor is just not the way to go. He could've just simply said most thing we're ready and since we have free space, lets give it a try, but instead he decided to just go all out and criticize others opinion. Thats what's grinding my gears.
I wouldn't criticize their opinions if they had valid reasons or arguments to go with them. You didn't read my post very clearly, my point was that it was bias because a vast majority of the posts putting Sleggie down only have the reason of "I don't find BuildRP fun, therefore this is a shitty idea". Which is not a "valid" opinion, it is an opinion I will give you that, but it gives no reason to hold that opinion valid for turning down the idea, or putting Sleggie down in a way for suggesting/working on it.

You want me to take your opinions seriously? Convince me, don't just say "I don't like buildRP, therefore this community should not have one and you should stop posting about it". You are taking insult because I am not recognizing the community not wanting a buildRP server, and think that we should not get one because it won't get populated. Let me explain this very clearly:

SG is getting none of it's current (and wanted, mind you) servers consistently populated, even though people would actually say they WANT to populate them. That is the reason for suggestions, and considering Sleggie is putting all the effort into coding, it takes very little of our time to put up a BuildRP server. A new server is a possibility of new population with new players coming into the community. Whether or not you, yourself, will populate it I don't really care, we have open space on the dedi because of dying servers (which people were sad to see go, but never populated..huh.) and therefore I am willing to put up this server whether you guys want to play on it or not. It's a new server, new gamemode, directed at a new playerbase, where we spend zero effort putting it up. If you can't see how this is an obvious benefit to the community, just stop posting in the community suggestions section.

Prez
13 May 2014, 11:16pm
By all means I hope it does become and stays populated when it gets put up. In my original post I was just saying that it would be risky to hinge its success solely on new players coming in (which won't happen since we'll inevitably join the server). RP just hasn't worked in the past for us for either similar population reasons or others that I'm not sure about so I was gauging my response on that knowledge. I think Sleggie's doing an awesome job helping out though and I personally didn't mean to put him down in responding to this. When the server comes online I'll be on to help populate it. Sorry Sleggie.

Paralyzed
14 May 2014, 05:39am
I wouldn't criticize their opinions if they had valid reasons or arguments to go with them. You didn't read my post very clearly, my point was that it was bias because a vast majority of the posts putting Sleggie down only have the reason of "I don't find BuildRP fun, therefore this is a shitty idea". Which is not a "valid" opinion, it is an opinion I will give you that, but it gives no reason to hold that opinion valid for turning down the idea, or putting Sleggie down in a way for suggesting/working on it.

You want me to take your opinions seriously? Convince me, don't just say "I don't like buildRP, therefore this community should not have one and you should stop posting about it". You are taking insult because I am not recognizing the community not wanting a buildRP server, and think that we should not get one because it won't get populated. Let me explain this very clearly:

SG is getting none of it's current (and wanted, mind you) servers consistently populated, even though people would actually say they WANT to populate them. That is the reason for suggestions, and considering Sleggie is putting all the effort into coding, it takes very little of our time to put up a BuildRP server. A new server is a possibility of new population with new players coming into the community. Whether or not you, yourself, will populate it I don't really care, we have open space on the dedi because of dying servers (which people were sad to see go, but never populated..huh.) and therefore I am willing to put up this server whether you guys want to play on it or not. It's a new server, new gamemode, directed at a new playerbase, where we spend zero effort putting it up. If you can't see how this is an obvious benefit to the community, just stop posting in the community suggestions section.

Re-building a PERP server has always received the argument of 'SG and RP doesn't work, so it most likely won't happen, too much drama etc.' Not at one point did you ever defend anything in there neither did anyone else, that might be because you weren't AO at the time or you just weren't there.

I in no way intended with my post to put down Sleggie's way of suggesting/working on it, what I said was because the thread hasn't received any positive feedback from any higher-up and neither from the rest of the community, so for Sleggie's sake I told him he might as well give up (as he would simply waste his own time) because once again no positive feedback was given by any of you higher-ups. He would only waste his time working on it, to then get his idea shut down and be disappointed that it won't happen, whatever you and Sleggie discussed in private is something I couldn't know and therefore didn't know you supported the idea at all until after I posted. Making me and some others look like pricks while I only tried to prepare Sleggie for some disappointment, as the same reasons were given for any other RP servers in the past (PERP, DARK RP etc) and it constantly got shut down for the same EXACT reason.

And before you criticize PERP that one actually worked, and got lots of donations for the community. The reason it shut down was because Amit stopped paying for the dedicated server and no one ever bothered setting the server back up. Enough about PERP, we're here to discuss BuildRP but thought I should mention it to backup my previous post/opinion and why I said what I said. I have nothing against Sleggie and neither against this idea, I personally wouldn't mind having another RPish looking like server, but knowing half of the staff who seem completely unmotivated to do anything at all, it's hard for me to believe that anything is going to happen at this point.

Zaraki
14 May 2014, 09:37am
@ Xeno: What amount of servers can still be added to our dedi? Would be a shame if we wouldn't try anything.

but I stand with my previous opinion.. BuildRP is not a good idea since we don't have the playerbase or staff supporting it like it should be needed to. We discuss 2-3 months about a server in a thread, up until the point we start hating the idea of having this server because of the countless arguments pro/contra.

Look at CS:GO :)

The players can only ask what they want, it's up to you CE+ to inform us of what moves within SG. If you don't want to share that information with us (without us begging for it, TheVirus is one of the few people who actually understands this), don't complain about our straightforward answers if they ask "Hey! BuildRP Yes/No?".

Sleggie, thank you for suggesting this server btw

Spyder
14 May 2014, 09:49am
@ Xeno: What amount of servers can still be added to our dedi? Would be a shame if we wouldn't try anything.

but I stand with my previous opinion.. BuildRP is not a good idea since we don't have the playerbase or staff supporting it like it should be needed to. We discuss 2-3 months about a server in a thread, up until the point we start hating the idea of having this server because of the countless arguments pro/contra.

Look at CS:GO :)

The players can only ask what they want, it's up to you CE+ to inform us of what moves within SG. If you don't want to share that information with us (without us begging for it, TheVirus is one of the few people who actually understands this), don't complain about our straightforward answers if they ask "Hey! BuildRP Yes/No?".

Sleggie, thank you for suggesting this server btw

Well if Sleggie's anti minge tools are as good as he says they are, we don't need 10 people with [SG] in their name on the server at all times. Also player base wise, it shouldn't take more than a group of 5 people either sitting in spec or actually playing to catch the eyes of potential members.

Pan32
14 May 2014, 10:29am
If you require a valid and clean explanation for denial, you should also require a valid explanation for acceptance. Just a thought.

As I said earlier, an idea does not need to be fully accepted by the community, since more ideas = better chances of getting population, so it is always good to try everything, I do appreciate that. However, this is still a community and taking that in account, the community is what it matters most because, well, what would be sg without people? Publicly invaliding a massive part of the arguments is not really a good thing to do around the community, you simply could basically be calling out someone that didnt bother to explain his point or felt like the point has been explained by others.

As you said, there are other ideas, true, but where is the execution? I'm gonna fall down the off-topic road a bit and call out the example of csgo ze. CSS ZE died, most ze old regulars that are still around beg for a csgo ze server for months. Massive support from the community about the idea. A good idea to bring people around the community. But, where is it? Where's that server?
I'm sorry but if you pick projects that are undersupported and pretty much pre-done (mind it, not criticizing the server idea) rather than actually building a ze server that has been requested a few times now by a massive number of people from the community, something is definitely wrong.

But lets get objective, I'm gonna make this as cleaner as I can. I appreciate you are still taking this project, new servers can bring new people. What I don't want is to see you trash peoples opinion, even if not properly explained. It was just completely and utter useless and pointless.

Also, lol @BoM's sig.

BoM
14 May 2014, 11:03am
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! (:

Sent from my carrier pigeon

SilentGuns
14 May 2014, 12:18pm
Let me say that this is a good idea. I think Xeno should start setting this up right now, he is best suited for this job. 100% support from me, good luck with this.

Edit: oh and if you play less than 24 hours on this server than I disregard all of your suggestions for the next 2 years.

Sleggie
14 May 2014, 03:34pm
Alright listen up. I want all you ******* to stop arguing before I murder you all. From what I've understood, the project will go into its testing stages this weekend.

First off, Zaraki, stop trying to bring CSGO into this. Im sure people are working on it atm, so please stop. Thanks.

Pan, democracy is a lie. (http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54818)

Spyder (and Zaraki too), the anti minge stuff is supposed to be pretty darn good. Its supposed to stop flinging props, prop kill, prop surf, etc. It will really, really help. In addition to that, I myself will help administrate. Ive also made an admin's guide in a pdf file. It suggests what to punish people for, how not to abuse, etc. Ill make a thread about it, and use it as the MOTD.

XeNo, thanks for everything.

And for everyone else, keep in mind that if it flops, it flops, and if it doesn't it doesn't. Mmk?

Whats left?

-adding a couple of addons (sprinkles)

-uploading to dedi

-quick test & fixing

-giving non addon things such as mingeproof things, world prop adder, ULX (I think), MOTD, loading screen, etc.

-forum section with update thread and motd thread

-quick test & fixing

-final revision

-population

http://i.imgur.com/OVtulgl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VGqUPJq.jpg

Nishok
14 May 2014, 04:29pm
Alright, just to shed some information on our previous experience with RP in this community.

Firstly the worst one: DarkRP.
I was the one mainly managing this mod, but I have to agree, I failed horribly.
It was meant to be a customized DarkRP, but sadly we had trouble getting everything to work, textures didn't want to render (or not completely), lots of errors in the default DarkRP code which I had to fix, and believe me, at that time, the code of DarkRP was written like that guy had fatty fingers with shit covered all over them, so many typos, syntax errors, misuse of functions, etc.

People were QQ'ing all the time asking why it isn't released yet, so I tried to rush things, which wasn't really the greatest idea.

On release, everything seemed to work.. for the first hour. Then all hell broke loose. Errors that I have never seen when testing alone arose (still from the owner of DarkRP). Lots of stuff causing lag, etc. So after a long time tinkering on the code, people lost interest and it became too much time-consuming for me to fix everything, so I decided to just quit the project.

And now for PERP.
Paralyzed bought the gamemode (which we are thankful for this that you did it to support us!), had a few bug/errors in the code which he, Spiral and Chainedlord fixed.

An admin named Guy had a great Dedi to host this on and provided it to us for use, in exchange he would be able to also manage PERP.
Sadly that decision soon turned against us, as he started to abuse his powers on PERP, thinking he could get away with it, so after a while we decided to switch over to Amit's second Dedi as the host. Everything worked fine, until some DDoS' came our way.
We had quite some issues with it, but we kept an active userbase after the DDoS'. The higher ups also had to deal with quite some admin abuse, but nothing we couldn't handle.

After all of this, we lost contact with Amit, he never showed up anymore and never payed the bills for the second Dedi, so Spartan had to jump in with SG's funds to cover it for another month or so and Amit promised to pay it back (never happened).
So eventually we had to decide to drop the second Dedi, which contained PERP and some other gameservers. Byebye PERP.

TL;DR: DarkRP: Died because of bad developer and insufficient time to finish it.
PERP: DDoS issues and mainly expensive Dedi which never got paid anymore.

Before I am going to make any promises with Yes or Nos, I have a few question that in my opinion are important to know more about before even thinking of getting this started. (Speaking of past experience).

What exactly is BuildRP? Your description of it is exactly the same how most of us would describe DarkRP. Any more info?
This Anti-Minge tool that you speak of, could you explain what it does? Because not needing an admin 24/7 as you said, means that this plugin has to be one of the best anti-minge/grief tool ever.
I saw you mentioned FAdmin, unless this has anything more than our current TTT admin plugin, I will disable FAdmin through the code, because you can't remove FAdmin's files without breaking DarkRP (IF WE EVER GET THE SERVER).
You said the F4 is not included and that it costs 20$, what do you mean by this?
What are those good and fun tools you speak of which most servers don't have, and what do they do?
How big is the gamemode in total? (The size of the folder which contains everything in it).

I might have forgotten some stuff.. but oh well, I might remember them later.

EDIT: Ah yes, I remember, for DarkRP, it wasn't specifically 1 developer's fault for the errors, but simply because it had switched owner a couple of times, which resulted in a couple of people messing with the code and breaking the other owner's code etc etc, resulting in a shitfuck of a program.

Pan32
14 May 2014, 04:51pm
Alright listen up. I want all you ******* to stop arguing before I murder you all. From what I've understood, the project will go into its testing stages this weekend.

Discussion differs from arguing.

First off, Zaraki, stop trying to bring CSGO into this. Im sure people are working on it atm, so please stop. Thanks.

Im not really sure what the hell do you mean with this. Are you looking forward to always have your will in first and no one can actually comment on it?

Pan, democracy is a lie. (http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54818)

Because that was totally a suggestion wasn't it?

http://content.screencast.com/users/pan32/folders/Jing/media/b1550e34-c977-4960-8178-00ba80addfc8/2014-05-14_2343.png

Spyder (and Zaraki too), the anti minge stuff is supposed to be pretty darn good. Its supposed to stop flinging props, prop kill, prop surf, etc. It will really, really help. In addition to that, I myself will help administrate. Ive also made an admin's guide in a pdf file. It suggests what to punish people for, how not to abuse, etc. Ill make a thread about it, and use it as the MOTD.

All anti-cheat systems are only good when taken to the max, but im glad there are some for starters. Also, if the bold red part on your quote means you'll get server administrator at that server, I think we hit a wall there.

Sleggie
14 May 2014, 05:06pm
Alright Nishok, ill be more than happy to answer these questions.

-BuildRP is a game mode in which darkRP is mixed with building. People build bases, cars, helicopters, computers, flying ducks and much more. The RP part is to give your creation a purpose. For example, I build a police car with a cool light bar, nice sound effects, sleek look and a suspension system because I am a cop.

-The anti-minge tool simply blocks and returns prop damage, stops explosives from exploding, stops prop pushing, ghosts props when they spawn, stops players from flinging props and stops prop surf. This addon also allows you to edit the settings, so you can disable things and make it the way you want.

-GMod and wiremod have a lot of dangerous tools, such as hoverdrive controllers which can teleport people, turrets, explosives and much more. We need FAdmin to disable these tools and to set limits to other tools.

-The default F4 menu (what you press to change jobs and stuff) is kinda ugly. We can replace it by a much better looking one from coderhire such as this one: http://coderhire.com/browse/script/618/modern-f4-darkrp-250-supported

-The tools are: Advanced Duplicator 2 (allows people to save their creations after they leave the server), AdvBallSocket, Buoyancy (makes stuff float), fadingdoor, fin, parent (makes any moving creation one million times less laggy), precision (build with precision), smartsnap (build with extra precision), smartweld (weld stuff with ease, makes stuff less laggy), stacker (align things precisely), weight (chose an object's weight), wiremod (the jesus of all building tools; it includes everything to make cars, elevators, radars, e2, sound emitters, text screens, and much much muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch more, the best part is that ITS ON THE WORKSHOP!)

-The total size is 791 MB. Id say about 90% of that goes to the M9K weapons. It will be added to the fastDL, but using the workshop. Therefore, it will be very fast to download, especially considering that almost everyone has it. Everything else is not client side, so they won't have to DL it. The server will ALWAYS be on gm_construct.

-Note that there's other things like the join/leave tag, printers, drugs, legs, etc. Also, despite not having a fancy F4 menu, we do have a nice hud.

Paralyzed
14 May 2014, 05:36pm
Ive also made an admin's guide in a pdf file. It suggests what to punish people for, how not to abuse, etc. Ill make a thread about it, and use it as the MOTD.

Maybe it's an idea to discuss the rules with XeNo, who is going to set this server up rather than deciding on them all by yourself, I do understand that you seem to know more about BuildRP than anyone else here, but when it comes to rules at least an AO+ should take care of those and you could just simply assist / provide rules that you think are necessary. How not to abuse? Isn't that self explanatory? Simply don't use Admin powers to give yourself an advantage over other players. Don't see why that needs a guide. Then last; if the pictures you provided are supposed to be a MOTD, or a loading screen, they're terrible.

Sleggie
14 May 2014, 05:44pm
Maybe it's an idea to discuss the rules with XeNo, who is going to set this server up rather than deciding on them all by yourself, I do understand that you seem to know more about BuildRP than anyone else here, but when it comes to rules at least an AO+ should take care of those and you could just simply assist / provide rules that you think are necessary. How not to abuse? Isn't that self explanatory? Simply don't use Admin powers to give yourself an advantage over other players. Don't see why that needs a guide. Then last; if the pictures you provided are supposed to be a MOTD, or a loading screen, they're terrible.

Oh yeah, I totally understand. Im going to show them to the AOs, no doubt. Those aren't MOTDs, they were just tests for fun.

Spyder
15 May 2014, 08:18pm
server will ALWAYS be on gm_construct

Please Sleggie for the love of god find a bigger map.. Map is too small for what? a 24 slot server? 20? 15? If it gets full, there's gonna be no room to build anything, if someone makes a helicopter explode it could crash the server, someone builds something too big it could crash, etc.

I don't know any bigger/better buildRP maps, if I had the time id make a simple one but I have to start studying for my finals in June.

Also, I've been finding this to happen on lots of RP servers lately, besides having a pretty powerful computer, GMod still crashes on about every RP server I play on. Is this going to happen on ours?

also PM me if you need help testing

XeNo
15 May 2014, 08:40pm
If you require a valid and clean explanation for denial, you should also require a valid explanation for acceptance. Just a thought.
I gave valid reasons for explanation of why this server would be accepted, which were all fairly obvious statements and benefits that anyone with half a brain and zero bias could have realized.

As I said earlier, an idea does not need to be fully accepted by the community, since more ideas = better chances of getting population, so it is always good to try everything, I do appreciate that. However, this is still a community and taking that in account, the community is what it matters most because, well, what would be sg without people? Publicly invaliding a massive part of the arguments is not really a good thing to do around the community, you simply could basically be calling out someone that didnt bother to explain his point or felt like the point has been explained by others.
I feel like this entire paragraph is basically just telling me what I did and I don't see what's wrong with it.

I'm sorry if you feel that arguments should be considered valid when they provide zero reasoning or point behind them? That's literally what you just said, that I was invalidating an argument because they didn't give reasoning or point for their argument against this server...which is...well I just can't lower my IQ enough to understand what you find wrong about that.

As you said, there are other ideas, true, but where is the execution? I'm gonna fall down the off-topic road a bit and call out the example of csgo ze. CSS ZE died, most ze old regulars that are still around beg for a csgo ze server for months. Massive support from the community about the idea. A good idea to bring people around the community. But, where is it? Where's that server?
It's being worked on last I knew, and that is a server we are having to do the setting up ourselves for, because apparently it has a lot of issues unless you mess with settings. Therefore requires more work out of AO's than Sleggie building a server for us then just putting files on the dedi.

I'm sorry but if you pick projects that are undersupported and pretty much pre-done (mind it, not criticizing the server idea) rather than actually building a ze server that has been requested a few times now by a massive number of people from the community, something is definitely wrong.
It's not picking a project and saying it has priority. I literally cannot comprehend your level of stupidity in this post. SLEGGIE IS BUILDING THE SERVER, WE PUT NO EFFORT FORTH TO SET IT UP OTHER THAN PUT FILES ON THE DEDI.

I honestly cannot explain or stress how much easier that is than setting up the server entirely ourselves, or explain how that means we aren't devoting a ton of attention to BuildRP that could be focused elsewhere because WE AREN'T EVEN SPENDING TIME BUILDING IT, SLEGGIE IS.

What I don't want is to see you trash peoples opinion, even if not properly explained. It was just completely and utter useless and pointless.
You're saying to me saying a post which gives no valid input or reasoning, or explanation, is an invalid argument....is pointless?

My brain hurts more trying to understand how you think than it would just smashing it against my keyboard writing up an argument that would still be better than yours in this post.

Pan32
15 May 2014, 09:35pm
I gave valid reasons for explanation of why this server would be accepted, which were all fairly obvious statements and benefits that anyone with half a brain and zero bias could have realized.

I feel like this entire paragraph is basically just telling me what I did and I don't see what's wrong with it.

I'm sorry if you feel that arguments should be considered valid when they provide zero reasoning or point behind them? That's literally what you just said, that I was invalidating an argument because they didn't give reasoning or point for their argument against this server...which is...well I just can't lower my IQ enough to understand what you find wrong about that.

It's being worked on last I knew, and that is a server we are having to do the setting up ourselves for, because apparently it has a lot of issues unless you mess with settings. Therefore requires more work out of AO's than Sleggie building a server for us then just putting files on the dedi.

It's not picking a project and saying it has priority. I literally cannot comprehend your level of stupidity in this post. SLEGGIE IS BUILDING THE SERVER, WE PUT NO EFFORT FORTH TO SET IT UP OTHER THAN PUT FILES ON THE DEDI.

I honestly cannot explain or stress how much easier that is than setting up the server entirely ourselves, or explain how that means we aren't devoting a ton of attention to BuildRP that could be focused elsewhere because WE AREN'T EVEN SPENDING TIME BUILDING IT, SLEGGIE IS.

You're saying me saying a post which gives no valid input or reasoning, or explanation, is an invalid argument....is pointless?

My brain hurts more trying to understand how you think than it would just smashing it against my keyboard writing up an argument that would still be better than yours in this post.

I took the time to bold the the most significant parts regarding the BuildRP server, in case someone didn't read the whole thing. Nevertheless, lets sort this out.

You did, but well, are you the only one? I mean, 2 players don't really fill a server right?

The keyword is community, I was enhancing the importance of it towards your trashing of peoples opinions. I can't really make it more easier than that. Also, I don't really know why IQ levels are called out on this situation.

http://content.screencast.com/users/pan32/folders/Jing/media/0937a542-45c3-4617-baa5-d065287345ab/2014-05-16_0412.png

Half a year being worked on? Alright, fine for me. Also, no server is as easy as putting files on a server, theres always adjustments to do, tweaking and testing.

You're saying me saying a post which gives no valid input or reasoning, or explanation, is an invalid argument....is pointless?

No, I'm saying the way you decided to approach such posts was rude and completely and utter inappropriate, therefore, pointless.

I hope this cleans up then.

This is the last post I'll probably do on this thread since insults (direct or indirect) started to arise already. Too bad no comment on BoM's signature, I was expecting for denial at least.

XeNo
16 May 2014, 12:34am
I will respond with zero insults, I only did before because you attempted to say what I said before was useless/pointless. Which is rude in itself because I gave valid reasons for my claims that the "opinions" you are so valiantly defending have literally no point, reasoning, understanding, or decent argument to support them aside from the vast majority being "I don't like the idea of buildRP".

You did, but well, are you the only one? I mean, 2 players don't really fill a server right?
Other people have already stated they would play if one was put up, whether they are in support of it or not they would try it out. Your argument is immediately invalid because of this very reason. You are also indirectly trying to say that the people who look at this thread are the only ones who will ever possibly play the server. Which is just...wrong. I don't know where you are trying to go with saying that because the dozen or so people who posted don't want to play buildRP (Even though some have now told me they would try it if it goes up) means absolutely no one else will. That's very naive.

The keyword is community, I was enhancing the importance of it towards your trashing of peoples opinions. I can't really make it more easier than that. Also, I don't really know why IQ levels are called out on this situation.
As stated several times over, the "opinions" are you talking about do not qualify as an opinion. If I said you were stupid with no reason or validation to back up the fact you're stupid, would you take my "opinion" to heart? Would you believe you really are stupid? Would you even give me a second thought if I tried to convince you of something, but provided no reasoning or proof, or proper point for it? No. You wouldn't. IQ levels were called into question when you weren't comprehending my posts and instead repeating yourself that people in this thread had very valid posts. Their one response to this idea is that SG and RP don't mix, which could very well be true, but I see no reason to allow "doubt" to be the deciding factor of doing something to try to breathe new life into the community.

As much of the "SG and RP don't mix" posts, I see just as many of the "I want an RP server, but sadly SG probably won't get one" posts. You're saying that because you have doubts it will work, it won't. Which is just a defeating ideal to have in the community, and ultimately gets nowhere, even true in life. Having doubts only holds you back, it doesn't get you forward in any way.

Half a year being worked on? Alright, fine for me. Also, no server is as easy as putting files on a server, theres always adjustments to do, tweaking and testing.
Tweaking takes incredibly less time than building. As for ZE I don't plan on managing it so I don't see why you keep bringing it up, and because the suggestion thread or whatever that was wasn't posted in since half a year ago, you believe that's when it started being built? You believe we should have a CSGO ZE server? Go set up your own and send me the files, I don't mind uploading them for you. Which was one of my original points in my first post here if you didn't read it, which it slowly becoming more apparent you did not.

No, I'm saying the way you decided to approach such posts was rude and completely and utter inappropriate, therefore, pointless.
My way of approaching biased, unvalidated, unwarranted, no reasoning provided, and rather "rude" might-as-well-quit-posting posts was to respond in the same manner. You literally cannot call my post pointless for this reason without calling yours pointless as well. My post was intended to get you to understand that "I don't like it" is not reason for the community to not give something a shot, nor is it reason enough to try and put someone down who is attempting to contribute.

This is the last post I'll probably do on this thread since insults (direct or indirect) started to arise already. Too bad no comment on BoM's signature, I was expecting for denial at least.
What BoM puts in his signature doesn't matter to me, he finds me funny. Why would I deny saying that to him? I hardly think his quote has any serious connotation. If you're offended you can request it to be taken off, since you took the effort of bringing it up.

Nasu
16 May 2014, 01:46am
:couch2:

DoubleSb
16 May 2014, 03:15am
The amount of shit you guys gave Sleggie is amazing. Had it been anyone else (like how mNote started TTT himself), I can almost guarantee more people would've been on board. He puts the work in it and all you have to do is let it have a trial. If it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Sleggie
16 May 2014, 06:51am
Please Sleggie for the love of god find a bigger map.. Map is too small for what? a 24 slot server? 20? 15? If it gets full, there's gonna be no room to build anything, if someone makes a helicopter explode it could crash the server, someone builds something too big it could crash, etc.

I don't know any bigger/better buildRP maps, if I had the time id make a simple one but I have to start studying for my finals in June.

Also, I've been finding this to happen on lots of RP servers lately, besides having a pretty powerful computer, GMod still crashes on about every RP server I play on. Is this going to happen on ours?

also PM me if you need help testing

I believe I've already stated in my analysis that any other map besides gm_constuct means no players. There is no point in arguing this. 26 slots is ideal, and everything fits. No matter how big a map is, the server can always be a little laggy. Besides, people won't have to DL the map in that case.

SilentGuns
16 May 2014, 06:52am
@Xeno

They are just opinions, jesus christ, calm down! The final decision is down to you, comments in suggestion threads just show the opinions of our members.

Metal
16 May 2014, 07:02am
I support this and I'm sure I will give a few hours to try this out since a lot of us play Gmod anyways.

BoM
16 May 2014, 08:28am
They are just opinions, jesus christ, calm down! The final decision is down to you, comments in suggestion threads just show the opinions of our members.

Le sarcasm

Sent from my carrier pigeon

Zaraki
17 May 2014, 05:44am
What Pan32 said!

No/Abstain to this suggestion. (Jk)
Instead of accepting stuff that don't require any work, make servers that actually have a high chance to survive and pull in players. Sleggie practically has made himself AO ad interim with this :p

I can understand that it's no fun to do all technical stuff for SG in your free time, but what's the point in staying AO or BD (whatever rank the person has) if you don't like to fix and setup servers or don't know enough about it to do the job. (Contradicting myself, but anybody can learn if they want and I believe all current AO+ are good with the tech business of SG)..

Give this project a two-week trial. to evaluate, make a new thread where the players can say yes/no to the server and give a good reason why. The same could (read: should) be done with Morbus.

(Don't wait too long since the donation quota hasn't been reached for 2-3 months i believe)

I have looked up some videos of Buildrp and joined some BuildRP servers and I conclude with saying that i'd love to have a BuildRP SG server tbh.. But it's the population that bothers me :(

Good luck Sleggie!

Sleggie
17 May 2014, 08:22am
From what I've heard, the server was supposed to be set up this weekend. Maybe it will be delayed like everything else we do *cough* vb5 *cough* but the ideal is to get it up asap to test it and make It perfect. I've been trying to make a system where if players join our forums through the server, they get a bunch of money, as suggested by wertles. I'm not too sure how to do that, but I know that not much can get done without the server being up, considering that everything is complete besides uploading, testing and showing stuff to the AOs.

Paralyzed
17 May 2014, 01:57pm
From what I've heard, the server was supposed to be set up this weekend. Maybe it will be delayed like everything else we do *cough* vb5 *cough* but the ideal is to get it up asap to test it and make It perfect. I've been trying to make a system where if players join our forums through the server, they get a bunch of money, as suggested by wertles. I'm not too sure how to do that, but I know that not much can get done without the server being up, considering that everything is complete besides uploading, testing and showing stuff to the AOs.

I'm pretty sure the only way of even being able to do something like that is adding the 'sign in through steam' feature for the forum, which we most likely won't be adding, and that also seems like the only way it could work.

Spyder
17 May 2014, 02:15pm

The only way besides para's way is make a sticky in the server section and have people put their SteamID if they want extra in game cash.

Nishok
17 May 2014, 02:34pm
The only way besides para's way is make a sticky in the server section and have people put their SteamID if they want extra in game cash.

Oh god, the memories of the Minecraft whitelist thread are coming back.. Such an annoying task, lol.

Sleggie
17 May 2014, 04:36pm
Yeah, I was considering that but its a quite annoying task.... Im contacting someone else that used to own a buildrp server to ask him how he did it.

Zaraki
18 May 2014, 04:52am
Offtopic: Gmod multigames server started out well, there were 4-5 people who kept playing.
I told them to sign up for the SG forums, so we'll see what happens.

Go spartan!

Extreme Potatoes
18 May 2014, 10:18am
Offtopic: Gmod multigames server started out well, there were 4-5 people who kept playing.
I told them to sign up for the SG forums, so we'll see what happens.

Go spartan!

Last night, there were a lot of people marveling at the idea of the server and they weren't even from SG. It was about maybe 30 people. You can ask Nuclear Onion and Squid. Some even said they were interested in joining.

Sleggie
18 May 2014, 10:21am
Last night, there were a lot of people marveling at the idea of the server and they weren't even from SG. It was about maybe 30 people. You can ask Nuclear Onion and Squid. Some even said they were interested in joining.

Idea of which server?

Extreme Potatoes
18 May 2014, 10:25am
Idea of which server?

The multi-gamemode server on GMod.

XeNo
20 May 2014, 12:57am
What Pan32 said!

No/Abstain to this suggestion. (Jk)
Instead of accepting stuff that don't require any work, make servers that actually have a high chance to survive and pull in players. Sleggie practically has made himself AO ad interim with this :p

I can understand that it's no fun to do all technical stuff for SG in your free time, but what's the point in staying AO or BD (whatever rank the person has) if you don't like to fix and setup servers or don't know enough about it to do the job. (Contradicting myself, but anybody can learn if they want and I believe all current AO+ are good with the tech business of SG)..

Give this project a two-week trial. to evaluate, make a new thread where the players can say yes/no to the server and give a good reason why. The same could (read: should) be done with Morbus.

(Don't wait too long since the donation quota hasn't been reached for 2-3 months i believe)

I have looked up some videos of Buildrp and joined some BuildRP servers and I conclude with saying that i'd love to have a BuildRP SG server tbh.. But it's the population that bothers me :(

Good luck Sleggie!
Since people can't seem to get past the "Working on servers that require no work versus servers people are requesting" I'm not the only AO+ in this community, surprisingly enough. The fact I took this on was because it was easy, I was doing finals and finishing my semester of college, it's another server to add to SG's variety of servers, and other AO's can focus on servers people want if they wish.

I don't see why a server which is easy to put up should not be put up when it isn't going to take that much time away to do. Why put off putting up a BuildRP server when it takes one night to put up? I literally completed putting up this server tonight. It works fine, and only thing left is restricting certain props.

From what I've heard, the server was supposed to be set up this weekend. Maybe it will be delayed like everything else we do *cough* vb5 *cough* but the ideal is to get it up asap to test it and make It perfect.
Lol...Feel free to give me shit for putting it up on Monday instead of Sunday. Fucking impatient.

Anyways the server is up and running on zriot's old IP: 74.91.116.97:27015 password is Noope with the capital N and two o's. Current issues are that several props/what not that should probably be blocked are not blocked, and the map defaults to gm_flatgrass instead of gm_construct which I'll sort out tomorrow. Admins can manually change to gm_construct and it works fine, so I don't know what's up exactly.

I really don't know why you guys are so against this server. But since Sleggie did most of the work, it only took tonight to put it up entirely, and I can move on to other servers while adding variety to SG's current roster of servers. It looks like only benefits to me, but of course you guys can find the negative in anything.

Prez
20 May 2014, 01:17am
Just tried it for a bit with sleggie, looks good so far! there are a few ERROR textures for me though - when i set my job as weapons dealer, the menu for shipments/weapon types are all ERRORed for some reason. I'm not sure if it's just me though

Sleggie
20 May 2014, 09:02am
Just tried it for a bit with sleggie, looks good so far! there are a few ERROR textures for me though - when i set my job as weapons dealer, the menu for shipments/weapon types are all ERRORed for some reason. I'm not sure if it's just me though

Is the actual gun an error when you spawn/pick it up? Can you also take a screen shot of it?

Spyder
20 May 2014, 10:09am
Is the server still online? If not post dates when it will be and the IP please D:

XeNo
20 May 2014, 10:18am
Is the server still online? If not post dates when it will be and the IP please D:
Read my post on the 8th page.

Prez
20 May 2014, 01:37pm
Is the actual gun an error when you spawn/pick it up? Can you also take a screen shot of it?

Ill take a screenie when I get on next but yes I think the gun itself is too

Nishok
20 May 2014, 02:26pm
Ill take a screenie when I get on next but yes I think the gun itself is too

That is because FastDL isn't set up yet, so you aren't downloading any textures as of yet.

We are still setting up everything, so there is really no point in playing yet (Idk why you gave away the password tho, Xeno :P)

XeNo
20 May 2014, 02:56pm
That is because FastDL isn't set up yet, so you aren't downloading any textures as of yet.

We are still setting up everything, so there is really no point in playing yet (Idk why you gave away the password tho, Xeno :P)
For people to report things. It's basically working. Yes we need to put things on fast downloads, but they can actually play the mod and look at it, see what it's about and give feedback.

I'll put the files up on fastdownloads/via workshop today. That should take care of texture errors.

Neptune
20 May 2014, 03:11pm
Can we put the player info in the top right or left corner of the screen?
-because its so big in the bottom left that it covers my chat.

ShoieP
20 May 2014, 03:20pm
Joined the server just now to check it out

Swinging around the stunstick caused me to timeout. I think the server crashed since it's on flatgrass now.

Sleggie
20 May 2014, 03:58pm
Can we put the player info in the top right or left corner of the screen?
-because its so big in the bottom left that it covers my chat.

You're not the first to say that. We'll probably move it to the right of the screen then.

XeNo
20 May 2014, 04:27pm
Joined the server just now to check it out

Swinging around the stunstick caused me to timeout. I think the server crashed since it's on flatgrass now.
Could have possibly been one of the many restarts it's been having today. We have been trying to resolve a default map issue today.

Extreme Potatoes
20 May 2014, 05:14pm
You're not the first to say that. We'll probably move it to the right of the screen then.

http://i.imgur.com/g3v85D6.jpg

Nah, but seriously, it would be better to be moved to the right because it does block my chat as well.

Sleggie
20 May 2014, 05:16pm
http://i.imgur.com/g3v85D6.jpg

Nah, but seriously, it would be better to be moved to the right because it does block my chat as well.

If I see that burger one more time.......

Spyder
20 May 2014, 08:48pm
Played a little today but was lagging like a bitch too much to play and test some things. 480 ping spikes at 10mb/s down and 3mb/s up.

If I find any bugs or whatnot I'll post them in here.

XeNo
21 May 2014, 04:53am
HUD temporarily changed. It's out of the way, but a little hard to see in dark areas. Will work on finding a new one, but it works for now.

Sleggie
21 May 2014, 05:18am
HUD temporarily changed. It's out of the way, but a little hard to see in dark areas. Will work on finding a new one, but it works for now.

I found a nice one that's in the bottom middle of the screen and doesn't overlap with anything. I'll show it to you later today.

Tweezy
31 May 2014, 04:55am
How's this coming? If you guys need any help programming side, then just give me a buzz, I primarily use C++, but LUA won't be difficult to learn.

Nishok
31 May 2014, 11:44am
How's this coming? If you guys need any help programming side, then just give me a buzz, I primarily use C++, but LUA won't be difficult to learn.

We are coming very close, and I know my LUA stuff, thanks tho :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tweezy
1 Jun 2014, 11:51pm
We are coming very close, and I know my LUA stuff, thanks tho :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ahh awesome! Can't wait to see :)

Extreme Potatoes
1 Jun 2014, 11:54pm
Thank you for putting the M9K weapons on the FastDL, was too lazy to look for them on the workshop :toung: