PDA

View Full Version : Story or Gameplay?

Bowie Sensei
8 Mar 2014, 07:36pm
Which is more important to you, story or gameplay?

Personally, as long as a game has enjoyable gameplay, the story is more important. I enjoy games that have complicated stories that span multiple games, granted most of these also have solid gameplay, but if they didn't I would probably ignore it because the story is so good. However the opposite is also true. If a game has amazing gameplay, I won't really care about the story if that's not the intended focus of it. For the most part tho, I prefer a good story.

ShoieP
8 Mar 2014, 07:53pm
I prefer story over gameplay.

Not gonna say "Why"s

Dirk
8 Mar 2014, 08:04pm
It depends. When I am wanting to play a game I don't care about story at all. That being said, I prefer no story to a bad story. Nothing ruins a game like a stupid plot. For me gameplay and atmosphere are way more important than story.

Bowie Sensei
8 Mar 2014, 08:05pm
It depends. When I am wanting to play a game I don't care about story at all. That being said, I prefer no story to a bad story. Nothing ruins a game like a stupid plot. For me gameplay and atmosphere are way more important than story.

If its comedic stupid sometimes it works

SideArmSavage
8 Mar 2014, 08:54pm
I prefer story over gameplay.

Not gonna say "Why"s

This.

Kippe
8 Mar 2014, 09:02pm
both are equally important imo

Vick
8 Mar 2014, 09:26pm
both are equally important imo

Yeah, I think both are equal. But if I had to pick, I'll go with Story

Octa
9 Mar 2014, 12:40am
Yeah, I think both are equal. But if I had to pick, I'll go with Story

Same feeling. Although what makes a great game great is usually the story, not the gameplay.

LoneWolf
9 Mar 2014, 10:34am
Story>Gameplay
A good game needs a good story

bigt4203
9 Mar 2014, 12:57pm
FPS, I prefer the story (Metro series). On a RTS, gameplay (Total War series)

harro
9 Mar 2014, 02:31pm
Gameplay imo. Tons of good games that have no story at all, or stories that most people just don't care about (or just aren't pronounced enough to be cared about), or have stories that are complete shit. (Counter Strike, TTT, L4d2, Minecraft, every pokemon game after gen 2, LoL)

I'd only expect a good story if a game is triple A $60 price point or a really dense RPG.

Dirk
9 Mar 2014, 03:02pm
Gameplay imo. Tons of good games that have no story at all, or stories that most people just don't care about (or just aren't pronounced enough to be cared about), or have stories that are complete shit. (Counter Strike, TTT, L4d2, Minecraft, every pokemon game after gen 2, LoL)

I'd only expect a good story if a game is triple A $60 price point or a really dense RPG.

EXACLTY this. And most of the time the games people praise for "story" don't even have good stories at all. They just have an incredible atmosphere, something people often mistake for depth of story. Half-Life 2 for instance has a rather generic and IMO unremarkable story, however, the game designers built such a compelling and complete world that you feel immersed in it.

BlackWhite
9 Mar 2014, 03:10pm
Multiplayer based like mmo; Game play. Single player based, story

Banana Joe
9 Mar 2014, 04:40pm

This more or less. I personally don't care about the story 90% of the time, I just want gameplay that works.

Unnamed Newbie
9 Mar 2014, 08:14pm
Gameplay. Lore is nice and all, but I like playing with my friends and when it comes to games like Skyrim or Red Dead, it is the games mechanics that keep me enthralled. Don't get me wrong that story still plays a role; stories will only last maybe twenty hours. Gameplay with mods or friends can last thousands of hours.

RoverBot3
10 Mar 2014, 02:13am
I have to say gameplay
I play a lot of f2p shit and I prefer an intensive fight along side my team mates in a multiplayer or co op game rather than a really than the story imo

Elemental
10 Mar 2014, 04:47am
Would've been better to ask; Graphics or Gameplay / Graphics or Story, cause I value both gameplay and story most, way more over anythign else in games. D;

BoM
10 Mar 2014, 11:34am
[QUOTE EVERYONE HERE]

Gameplay. Story is good for some games, and it can make it more interesting, but overall I could care less half the time.

Go read a book if you want a story.

patsfan365
12 May 2014, 04:37pm
You don't really have to choose. Great gameplay can make up for a shitty story, and vice versa. Of course, you can always play games like the last of us that have great gameplay AND a good story. But I wouldn't say one is necessarily more important than the other.

Eskomo
12 May 2014, 04:51pm
Story, I want to believe my mindless clicking has some purpose dammit.

Spyder
12 May 2014, 04:59pm
[QUOTE EVERYONE HERE]

Go read a book if you want a story.

This

Mudkip™
15 May 2014, 10:42am
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/538/731/0fc.gif