PDA

View Full Version : The Forest

Paralyzed
26 Jan 2014, 11:45am
A few more details about the upcoming open-world survival horror game The Forest have been unveiled. In a recent interview with Eurogamer, Endnight Games explained some of its gameplay philosophies surrounding the PC exclusive.

In The Forest, you play as the lone survivor of a plane crash who's ended up on an island filled with cannibals. "We wanted to create a world where we could drop the player into and give them free range to do whatever they want, similar to something like Minecraft where a lot of the fun comes from decisions that you make," explained Endnight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQgVj9tBQG0&hd=1

Players build up their skills and equipment in order to get to new parts of The Forest, but specific goals won't be spelled out. Instead, you'll be dropped in the world and will have to explore without any defined missions. If you want to uncover the story of The Forest, clues are hidden amongst the environment.

There will be an ending, but it's optional and the developers think that many gamers will get so caught up in surviving that they won't even realize there's a conclusion.

As for the cannibals residing in The Forest, Endnight is taking a unique approach. These cannibals aren't evil, just hungry. If you kill their friends they'll cry over their bodies or in some instances they'll even run away. Other times they'll watch you from a vantage point in the trees without moving in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08s__Fg8d3A&hd=1

Those who can survive in The Forest long enough will be able to earn a spot on the leader boards. For the hardcore survivalists out there, permadeath will also be an option.

The Forest is currently in development and will enter beta in the next few months.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/the-forests-storytelling-and-gameplay-details-revealed

LoneWolf
26 Jan 2014, 12:16pm
Looks so sick, It's like rust but better
edit: is this pvp or just sp

Skyrocket
26 Jan 2014, 12:56pm
Looks so sick, It's like rust but better
edit: is this pvp or just sp

Singleplayer, so basically it'll be infinitely better than either rust or dayz because you don't have to worry about dickheads or hackers.
I've been watching this since it first popped up on Greenlight, looks like it'll be really fun. Not to mention it has Oculus Rift functionality, so it'll be absolutely terrifying
alpha release when

Elemental
26 Jan 2014, 02:57pm
Looks sick :o
Hope my laptop can run it >:(

omarfire00
26 Jan 2014, 04:24pm
Looks pretty cool,

however how does one win?

Skyrocket
26 Jan 2014, 06:14pm
Escape the island, I'm guessing. Either that or it's a "Survive as long as possible"

SideArmSavage
26 Jan 2014, 06:14pm
Looks pretty awesome, we should try it out sometime.

omarfire00
27 Jan 2014, 12:35am
Escape the island, I'm guessing. Either that or it's a "Survive as long as possible"

Or I think it's collect some diamonds to mine some shenanigan element called obsedian then use that to make an portal that takes you to a place refered to as the "nether", then kill some flying blaze men along with some cry babies called ghasts then go back to earth and make a journey to find the end portal then rape the big bad meanie boss, called the ender dragon...

Oh wait.

ExileD
27 Jan 2014, 05:18am
I ain't one for survival games, but I might give it a shot.

dethfact
27 Jan 2014, 03:08pm
I've been watching this game for months, it was originally supposed to be released in December 2013 (well the alpha anyway), and now has been pushed back to early 2014, but all in all this game looks amazing, and can't wait for the release.

Skyrocket
27 Jan 2014, 03:13pm
I ain't one for survival games, but I might give it a shot.

Just a note, if you don't like horror games, don't play this. This isn't a rust or day z-styled survival game, it's survival horror. Keep that in mind.

Looks pretty awesome, we should try it out sometime.

Again, I'm pretty sure it's singleplayer-only, so there's really no "We can try out"
I'd say it's worth watching out for, though.

Spyder
27 Jan 2014, 03:43pm
#AmnesiaSurvivor :D They should make a multiplayer for this. But then it'd be like rust.):

Eskomo
28 Jan 2014, 10:55am
More survival games, just what we need...

Frosty
28 Jan 2014, 11:00am
More survival games, just what we need...

That is what the people want, so developers will keep making them. Rust and DayZ still in the top sellers on Steam so we will be seeing alot more of these games, maybe one developer will actually make a perfect game someday.

Spyder
28 Jan 2014, 11:40pm
That is what the people want, so developers will keep making them. Rust and DayZ still in the top sellers on Steam so we will be seeing alot more of these games, maybe one developer will actually make a perfect game someday.

LOL like you said, it's what people want, and its an easy money maker. Imo it'll be an awesome and pants pissing game. My only suggestion is to maybe add co-op. Playing this with Oculus Rift and Turtle beaches is gonna be fucking horrifying.

Motox
29 Jan 2014, 11:52pm
The enemies kind of remind me of the aliens from Hetalia, Paint It White!
But ya know, a shit load scarier.
Looks great, can't wait to check it out.

Skyrocket
30 Jan 2014, 12:46pm
[QUOTE=Spyder;694316]My only suggestion is to maybe add co-op./QUOTE]

No. Never.
Silent Hill wouldn't be scary if it was co-op, Amnesia wouldn't be scary if it was co-op, Dead Space stopped being scary when it became co-op, why the fuck would you ruin the horror of this game by adding a pointless co-op function?
The idea of the game is that you're stranded in a forest alone against people who want you dead. Let's not try to change that, please.

Spyder
30 Jan 2014, 02:16pm
[QUOTE=Spyder;694316]My only suggestion is to maybe add co-op./QUOTE]

No. Never.
Silent Hill wouldn't be scary if it was co-op, Amnesia wouldn't be scary if it was co-op, Dead Space stopped being scary when it became co-op, why the fuck would you ruin the horror of this game by adding a pointless co-op function?
The idea of the game is that you're stranded in a forest alone against people who want you dead. Let's not try to change that, please.

You're right but in those games you're not trying to survive in an open world. In this game, I'd wanna play it with my buddies so we can stick together and not get trampled on. Again with Amnesia and Dead Space, those are mission games. This game does have missions you can complete but it's also a survival game.