PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Vista?

krazykarl
2 Jun 2008, 10:04am
I beta tested, and was an early adopter, but a month after release I switched back to XP.

SP1 has been out for a month or so now and apparently MS has fixed some of its flaws. What do you all think?

(I also own and run a MacBook Pro with BootCamp for XP on it and it is my development PC, however I obviously use my desktop for all my gaming.)

KrazyK

Red
2 Jun 2008, 10:27am
I used Vista on my friend's new PC and it just felt too bloated and a little slow and somewhat more convoluted to access stuff compared to XP.

The only thing I want that Vista has is DirectX10.

I installed XP on my new PC that I put together last month. Almost went with Vista, but I'm glad I stuck with XP. Especially considering the 3GB ram limit on 32 bit systems, and the fact that Vista takes about a gig to run on its own. With XP it only uses 300-400 mb leaving a lot more of my ram free for other stuff than Vista would.

Paul
2 Jun 2008, 10:49am
It suck's my game crashes way to much with the hl2.exe error! >.<

Vista's a pile of crap; takes up to much resources.

Itch
2 Jun 2008, 11:22am
I just built a new machine.. Put Vista Ultimate on it.. and after SP1 it's not that bad.. It detects and uses the full 4GB RAM I have installed (pre sp1 only showed 3GB). Sure I disabled Aero and all the damn nag screens.. but so far nothing to complain about.

Suri
2 Jun 2008, 11:26am
I just built a new machine.. Put Vista Ultimate on it.. and after SP1 it's not that bad.. It detects and uses the full 4GB RAM I have installed (pre sp1 only showed 3GB). Sure I disabled Aero and all the damn nag screens.. but so far nothing to complain about.

I have done the same things you listed. I dont mind Vista at all. I am enjoying it.

phatman76
2 Jun 2008, 07:29pm
I like Vista. Its still a bit buggy, but SP1 made all my shit work fine. I love the security features and look and feel of the system. Never upgrade though, I bought my computer to run the arguably bloated OS, so even though Vista eats up memory i got plenty to spare on graphics intensive games.

Bill Smauz
2 Jun 2008, 08:35pm
I liek Vista tis very nice.

Maxwelldon
2 Jun 2008, 09:24pm
Well, I've had vista for couple months now.. Have to admit it's quite stable and all that but every time I quit a STEAM / Source based game, it says it has crashed for some ridiculous reasons..

Though, just look up tweak guides to disable most of the stupid resource hogging processes - I got "search indexer" and the "SuperFetch", or what ever, off.. After disabling those, few reboots alter.. Everything was running faster than the things on - also ram usage dropped whole lot for that

In the end I've started to be OK with vista but I'd still rather be using XP..

krazykarl
3 Jun 2008, 08:04am
So it's seeming to be the concensus is that SP1 made Vista a completely different monster.... a monster that is no longer inefficient and buggy. This is good to hear.

I have a copy of Vista Ultimate sitting here next to my desktop, and it's about time for a format and rebuild, so I'm thinking I may make the leap. Now I just need to buy some more ram, and find a nice shiny new video card. :)

KrazyK

Zargotelc
3 Jun 2008, 10:24am
Still inefficient and buggy but the laptop with Vista has 512 mb RAM :bored:

Red
3 Jun 2008, 10:29am
Still inefficient and buggy but the laptop with Vista has 512 mb RAM :bored:

Who the hell installed vista on your machine?!

Zargotelc
3 Jun 2008, 10:51am
The laptop was purchased last year from Circuit city...around 500 for that. 512 MB RAM and Vista , the people there even said I should add more RAM but I haven't gotten around to it.

The funny thing is you could get a laptop for the same price today that has 2 gig ram. :laugh:

And yeah , with 512 MB ram pretty much any game is unplayable on this pos laptop. At least with XP games ran pretty well with the same amount of memory.

Itch
3 Jun 2008, 10:54am
As cheap as RAM has become there is no reason to run any OS with just 512 MB. Especially if you are going to attempt to play games on that computer.

Jose
3 Jun 2008, 12:30pm
i think vista is good for newer games, if you wanna play older games,(2005-)
then just dual boot xp and vista- Problem solved

LegalSmash
3 Jun 2008, 07:56pm
Vista touched me :(

Dracula
3 Jun 2008, 08:43pm
Vista over all in my mind is good but there are still nagging things like trying to find folders most guides are made for xp and it takes me longer to find shit now. Also some things make vista mad such as things that run other programs first time I opened up MapleStory and like 3 things pop up at once bitching about it opening up stuff oh and that error paul talked about happens about 15% of the time I run CSS but its annoying.

OVER ALL GET IT

p.s. i was just tryin maple story :001_wub:

Zargotelc
4 Jun 2008, 04:13am
Other than aforementioned memory issues , there are also some weird things going on with Vista. I set all folders to have the same look , next day the mp3 folder is set to its own individual folder style with that stupid star rating system , and then some random folder will feel like being organized into a group system and then I have to ungroup everything and go back to folder options and force every folder to look the same again , and then the cycle continues :thumbdown:

juku
6 Jun 2008, 03:00am
vista is the best if only you got the recommended parts and beyond. Also when you delete the useless programs and after all the updates. Then the real problem starts upgrade and install all the security. then finally surf the web and computer usage. though all in all as long as i have my defragmentor i would be happy with any os as long as i get us to it.

The General
6 Jun 2008, 06:16am
vista is the best if only you got the recommended parts and beyond. Also when you delete the useless programs and after all the updates. Then the real problem starts upgrade and install all the security. then finally surf the web and computer usage. though all in all as long as i have my defragmentor i would be happy with any os as long as i get us to it.

I did a fresh install on my laptop with a vista disc that didn't come with my machine. my laptop came with too much junnk on it making it bog down and even take forever to load up. as soon as I did a fresh install without the junk it turned on in seconds.

I like it but I prefer XP and Linux.

in fact, now that I am officially done my school work for the year my desktop computer is going back to linux as soon as I get back from this little trip I have to do.

trakaill
6 Jun 2008, 08:29am
Alright I like vista but it seems that I could improve it by deleting and changing stuff around could someone give me advice on what to do. I never really played with it. And as well as the others I get that stupid error when I closed some programs(nothing major but annoying).:cursing:

The General
6 Jun 2008, 11:10pm
clean install and install only what you need.

Phobos
7 Jun 2008, 11:48pm
I got Vista Ultimate for $60 from an M$ employee/friend. It is retail and I love it for everything it is compatible with. The only thing I hate is TrustedInstaller.exe. It really eats up your CPU. I wish they'd auto-prioritize to lowest priority so it won't lag me up in the middle of gaming. On my brand new pc I built, I'm only running XP MCE for now until I get an additional HDD.

On my vista pc, it booted up on Vista much faster than XP booted, however, I had more than recommended specs for vista and that could be why. It seems vista runs much faster than xp in some cases if you have a blazing fast computer.

Psyche
8 Jun 2008, 12:51am
Long story short, if you have a computer with;
1 GB of RAM, Vista Home Premium or Better (SP1), and a Dual Core Processor. You should be fine.

Zargotelc
8 Jun 2008, 08:54am
Yeah , but there are still programs that I use on XP that are incompatible with Vista. I use a bunch of audio recording software to record to mp3 various songs and play-by-play on the internet. Most of those programs are not compatible with Vista.

Other than that Vista seems to be ok. Today I brought back the Windows Sidebar with all those wacky gadgets. It's pretty nice. :001_unsure:

Daze
10 Jun 2008, 11:11am
Hey all, *forum n00bie*

im currently running vista ultimate [cracked] and i have to say, the problems are minimal, no more than XP.

i think that Vista gets slated because theres alot of technicians that consider themselves pro's when it comes to XP, maybe they are...vista opens a new world of technology where the XP "Pro's" know f*ck all about. there scared that this new O/S is going to be so popular, that XP get thrown out the window, along with their expetise and knowledge :)

anyway just a theory *hehe

cYa

Suri
10 Jun 2008, 11:12am
I now HATE VISTA!!!!

Vista is the main reason I can not play my all time fav game. BF1942!!!!!!!!! Vista BLOWS!!!!

Itch
10 Jun 2008, 11:21am
Hey all, *forum n00bie*

im currently running vista ultimate [cracked] and i have to say, the problems are minimal, no more than XP.

i think that Vista gets slated because theres alot of technicians that consider themselves pro's when it comes to XP, maybe they are...vista opens a new world of technology where the XP "Pro's" know f*ck all about. there scared that this new O/S is going to be so popular, that XP get thrown out the window, along with their expetise and knowledge :)

anyway just a theory *hehe

cYa

As an IT "Pro" myself I think you are wrong!
I have no problems with administrating a network of Vista computers. And as for "a new world of technology" there really isn't that much "new technology" in Vista. From a sys-admin standpoint there are some new features that are nice but looking at it from a business standpoint you have to make a case that would justify the cost involved to upgrade (IE: Licenses, Time and IT staff costs to install/maintain, deployment proceedures & application compatibility to name only a few of the issues). And the little gain in some areas in most cases just does not justify the cost involved with the swap. I don't think they are afraid.. in most cases they just can't justify the cost & time involved.

I run Vista Ulitmate at home and XP Pro at work. I find that each has it's pros/cons. As for the negative publicity any new OS will get some of that due to the fact that users don't like change & don't like having to re-learn where to access certain features an example is office 2007 I constantly hear complaints that some of the keyboard shortcuts aren't the same, doesn't make it better or worse, just means you have to re-learn a keyboard shortcut or menu location & people don't like spending the time involved with the change.

Itch
10 Jun 2008, 11:22am
I now HATE VISTA!!!!

Vista is the main reason I can not play my all time fav game. BF1942!!!!!!!!! Vista BLOWS!!!!

I played BF1942 on Vista this weekend and didn't run into any problems. What problems are you having?

Daze
10 Jun 2008, 11:33am
As an IT "Pro" myself I think you are wrong!
I have no problems with administrating a network of Vista computers. And as for "a new world of technology" there really isn't that much "new technology" in Vista. From a sys-admin standpoint there are some new features that are nice but looking at it from a business standpoint you have to make a case that would justify the cost involved to upgrade (IE: Licenses, Time and IT staff costs to install/maintain, deployment proceedures & application compatibility to name only a few of the issues). And the little gain in some areas in most cases just does not justify the cost involved with the swap. I don't think they are afraid.. in most cases they just can't justify the cost & time involved.

I run Vista Ulitmate at home and XP Pro at work. I find that each has it's pros/cons. As for the negative publicity any new OS will get some of that due to the fact that users don't like change & don't like having to re-learn where to access certain features an example is office 2007 I constantly hear complaints that some of the keyboard shortcuts aren't the same, doesn't make it better or worse, just means you have to re-learn a keyboard shortcut or menu location & people don't like spending the time involved with the change.

I agree with what your saying buisness wise, the cost involved by upgrading to vista is too much hassle as well as cost wise.

i was just saying my theory on why some people slate vista for being "crap" when i see nothing to justify it, except older guys who cant be bothered to re-learn skills with a new O/S.

you make a good point dude ;) (Y)

Suri
10 Jun 2008, 12:10pm
I played BF1942 on Vista this weekend and didn't run into any problems. What problems are you having?

Man you suck!!! :)

It seems to come back to Punkbuster. I have tried everything to fix it. The error i get is Server abnormality.

Itch
10 Jun 2008, 12:18pm
Ouch.. I never install PunkBuster NEVER!

I made the mistake of installing it once.. years ago.. and I won't install it again.. I won't play on a server that requires it.

Wish I had some advice as to how to get rid of it.. other than a reformat that is.:sad:

LitKey
10 Jun 2008, 12:32pm
But two things:

1. Most servers run it
2. Without it, there's no cheat protection

junkie
10 Jun 2008, 02:17pm
i had vista and vista sp1 for a bit and it was too much of a hog for a new custom built pc..so i went back to xp and it runs like a dream. i dont miss dx10 as i only play cod4 and css. and neither look any different.