PDA

View Full Version : Group Podcast and or Youtube channel

Goku
30 Dec 2013, 08:51pm
One minor problem I have with SG is the lack of communication and ease of access to who the higher ups really are. And what I mean by that is you can find out just by asking who the higher up are, but unless you take the time to play with them and try to talk to them, you don't get to see who they are easily. Take psyche, caution and exrev for example. Things I know about exrev: He's like in his late 20s to early 30s; Has a little girl named (I think) Gracie. Things I know about Caution: He's a marine;He lives in/is stationed in Cali. Things I know about Psyche:----He's a higher up?

You'll probably wondering what I'm trying to get at. I think a good way to help newer, and some not so newer members, feel more welcome and apart of the group is to do a group youtube channel and/or podcast.

Gaming Channel:
What I mean by this is not just a few adverts for the group or some random videos once in a blue moon. I mean a channel run and fueled by the members. Sure, if it is going to be official, it is going to have to have a higher up in charge, but here is my suggestion for it:

Create a new email account and make a SteamGamers youtube channel. Pick a higher up to be the supervisor basically. Get a few members, I'd be willing to help, and give them access to the account in order to upload videos and what not.
Make the email publicly known so that members can email their submissions to be reviewed.
A person who has access to the channel reviews and it proposes it to be posted on the channel.
The ones that filter through are posted.

Videos to be submitted:
Random and funny moments within the group.
Lets plays with members of the group.
etc.

Official videos:
Lets plays
Major announcements
Compilation of random and funny/fun moments on the servers to make players want to join.
etc.

Podcast
This is something that I am willing to man the reins myself.

I personally have worked in the world of podcasts before. I have run three separate podcasts in the past, and have learned from each of them. Only thing that failed in three was lack of audience.

This is something that I am really passionate about. I find the whole pod casting thing interesting and fun to do.
Off the top of my head here is a basic suggestion of it:
Produced by Me.
Hosted by me and guests each episode.
Each episode feat a CE+ and at least one Reg and/or Supporter (aside from myself).

Basically it wouldn't be a weekly podcast.
Was thinking maybe monthly.
The episode would be recorded through skype.

Post the first week of every month and recap what happened the previous month such as real world events, SG related news etc. Also talk about something currently happening.

I honestly don't see why we can't at least give a podcast a chance.

Maybe make it where supporters+ will get a link to the podcast a day before non SUP, which would give people motivation to donate.

SG needs something to kickstart new player interest. I personally think a successful community podcast would be a great way to do so.

Again, I am willing to man the reins with this one. Record,edit and upload all by my lonesome self. Would only need members to host with each episode. Would prefer a different lineup each time through so like one episode: Me;Xeno;Anguish. The next me;Caution;Sidearm or whoever.

I know the group has apparently had one in the past before but it failed. Well, I don't see the harm in at least trying again. It has to have been at least over two years since the group last tried since I sure as hell never saw one in my two years with the group.

No harm in trial and error.

Neptune
30 Dec 2013, 08:55pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zcmLv59jc

Like this?

Also I think we have/had a Steamgamers youtube channel before/currently.

Wertles
30 Dec 2013, 08:56pm
I never understood why people like listening to other people talk.

Kinda same with videos, people also already do their own steamgamers videos that are not official so I don't see why we'd need to do that.

Also Psyche has the hips of Shakira that can give a baby in seconds and his brother Bradley is autistic or some shit.

Vinyl
30 Dec 2013, 09:00pm
who the hell is caution

Goku
30 Dec 2013, 09:09pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zcmLv59jc

Like this?

Also I think we have/had a Steamgamers youtube channel before/currently.

GG neptune, advertising another (dead as fuck thanks to horrible members) group.

That's another way to explain it, yes. That is a promo clip though. A semi-decent one. Audio wasn't that clear tbh.

I've run a different podcast after that that was unrelated and learned from that as well. Better at introduction and jsut overall editing. Trail and error goes a long way.

Point of an official channel is to advertise it to players and get more views within the group. If we currently have an active steamgamers youtube channel, it hasn't been advertised much.

ScubaToaster
30 Dec 2013, 09:13pm
What makes you think that I or anyone else gives a flying fuck about whether a community has a YT or not?

Gator
30 Dec 2013, 09:25pm
How will it be evenly maintained too? Doesn't Garfield still own the Twitter and Facebook?

Jake
31 Dec 2013, 11:11am
Podcast no. It will either die within a month of it starting up or not start up at all. Howerver, the youtube channel could be a way to bring in more people to play on our servers. Also i don't think we need to have a higher up run the channel. It can be run by anyone willing to put the time and effort into it. I would volunteer for it if we needed help.

BlackWhite
31 Dec 2013, 11:39am
I doubt about the CSS youtube channel, we could first include some other popular games that will bring people come to this community before deciding uploading video. Hopefully not the "retards".

Goku
31 Dec 2013, 09:45pm
Podcast no. It will either die within a month of it starting up or not start up at all. Howerver, the youtube channel could be a way to bring in more people to play on our servers. Also i don't think we need to have a higher up run the channel. It can be run by anyone willing to put the time and effort into it. I would volunteer for it if we needed help.

If you don't think a higher up needs to run it, why not you and me take rein?

We could work on organize some group plays like l4d versus or some other shit and post em there.

I'll talk to you via steam to work out the details.

Goku
1 Jan 2014, 12:58am
Made a youtube channel. Working on making a quick little promo clip.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt2XUumZMi6g3WhqFmC3_w/feed

If you want to submit a video email it to steamgamersvids@gmail.com

Zaraki
1 Jan 2014, 03:37am
I think the focus should lay on creating new servers and see what the higher-ups have planned for us with the requested money before creating new small entities within the community that have no real purpose at this moment.

high rws
1 Jan 2014, 04:58am
psyche is a professional online video game forum poster

exrev is a best guy

caution is a gay marine, for an example see my signature and/or username

problem solved

ScubaToaster
1 Jan 2014, 10:08am
Made a youtube channel. Working on making a quick little promo clip.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt2XUumZMi6g3WhqFmC3_w/feed

If you want to submit a video email it to steamgamersvids@gmail.com

I'd give it a solid 3/10. Incredibly boring and the editing is some equivalent to someone slapping their dick across their keyboard in MS paint.

Mudkip™
1 Jan 2014, 10:57am
I don't find anything more boring than watching other people play something I could be playing right now. Seems pointless as hell, but if other people like the idea, go for it. I just hope higher-ups don't use their time to work on this when there are bigger things to be addressed right now.

Goku
1 Jan 2014, 11:12am
I don't find anything more boring than watching other people play something I could be playing right now. Seems pointless as hell, but if other people like the idea, go for it. I just hope higher-ups don't use their time to work on this when there are bigger things to be addressed right now.

Me and jake are gonna be doing it so no problems with higher ups

Mr. Fantasy
1 Jan 2014, 12:11pm
I'd give it a solid 3/10. Incredibly boring and the editing is some equivalent to someone slapping their dick across their keyboard in MS paint.

I'm sorry Goku, but that video is not good. The beginning of TTT part made me want to turn off the video. If you are going to work on this, please make it better.

BoM
1 Jan 2014, 12:11pm
Me and jake are gonna be doing it so no problems with higher ups

I agree with scuba in terms of quality....don't need SG being butchered here. also Albania makes a point, outside of an easy question to answer, what's the point of this thing.....podcasts are usually game reviews and discussions and YouTube is great. IF you do it right , which is hard especially when you seemingly don't have community backing.

Sent from my carrier pigeon

Goku
1 Jan 2014, 12:52pm
I did the best with the limited material I had available at 3 am. Threw something together to put up.

Threw together a quick little video to just say who we are

If someone wants to make a better one by all means do so. Plan is for the majority of the videos to be user submitted. Me and jake are just gonna be the ones to upload em.

ScubaToaster
1 Jan 2014, 12:53pm
I did the best with the limited material I had available at 3 am. Threw something together to put up.

If someone wants to make a better one by all means do so. Plan is for the majority of the videos to be user submitted. Me and jake are just gonna be the ones to upload em.

The objective as you stated in your OP was to increase interest in SG, why on God's green earth would you create a video equivalent to a 13 year old dabbling in LPs? Why would you even offer to make videos if you're going to turn around and say "if you want it not be bad why didn't you do it yourself?"?

I'm drinking and posting at this point.

BoM
1 Jan 2014, 12:58pm

So we are going to have the most inconsistent video subject outside of it being SG related. That doesn't make sense either. Most people keep coming back to a channel because they like the certain type of content.

I feel like everyone told you it would be a dumb idea so you said fuck it I'll do it myself. Good for you, but if you are going to put SGs name on it please have some sort of plan.

Goku
1 Jan 2014, 01:09pm
The objective as you stated in your OP was to increase interest in SG, why on God's green earth would you create a video equivalent to a 13 year old dabbling in LPs? Why would you even offer to make videos if you're going to turn around and say "if you want it not be bad why didn't you do it yourself?"?

I'm drinking and posting at this point.

The plan was to be videos of gameplay within the server as recorded and submitted by the users

In FYI, everyone I have talked to likes the idea so no I didn't just say fuck it.

I threw together a quick little video at three in the morning that tbh, isn't a great video, but it gets the point across.

I still don't honestly think it is as bad as you guys are acting like it is but that's your opinion.

And scuba, idk wtf I ever did to get on your bad side as I used to really like you, but can you make a post about me without resorting to insults and name calling?

A simple "the video isn't that good" would suffice.

ScubaToaster
1 Jan 2014, 01:33pm
The plan was to be videos of gameplay within the server as recorded and submitted by the users

In FYI, everyone I have talked to likes the idea so no I didn't just say fuck it.

I threw together a quick little video at three in the morning that tbh, isn't a great video, but it gets the point across.

I still don't honestly think it is as bad as you guys are acting like it is but that's your opinion.

And scuba, idk wtf I ever did to get on your bad side as I used to really like you, but can you make a post about me without resorting to insults and name calling?

I can't even begin to fathom why someone would be upset when the first impression they get from a video venture of SG is garbage. It is almost equivalent to the first impression concept and why would someone get disgruntled when the first concept was garbage? Sure it's our opinion that it's garbage but that opinion seems consistent and last I recalled opinions of viewers are what makes or breaks a viewing medium.

I'll admit I expressed myself in a vulgar and aggressive manner but that seems to be the only thing that really causes people to stop, read, and respond these days. It also makes this much more interesting for me.

On another note, who the fuck did you talk to about this idea because all I see on this thread are neutral to negative remarks. Not a single clear endorsement is on this thread and from what I can understand from some comments made by an AO this wasn't exactly discussed before you went and used SG's name on a YT channel.

I have nothing personally against you at this point but holy shit learn to take criticism when your work is sub-par.

Gator
1 Jan 2014, 04:05pm

Instead of backlashing, use this to improve your future videos.

Second, instead of throwing a bunch of random shit together and then using the time of day when it was made as an excuse, actually put together something quality. All the Youtube videos you see that are popular and really good take days to make. If you produce videos that are recorded and mixed with a potato, your just going to make the community look like a COD kiddy clan.

Nishok
1 Jan 2014, 04:20pm
Saying "I made the video at 3 am, so don't be mad at the things that are bad" is the same as me as a BD saying "I created the ZE server at 3 am, don't mind that the server doesn't have the ZE mod installed."
That is just a horrible excuse. Either get something good, or let someone else do it (when they have time).

I have nothing against you, as you should know, but asking for 'decent' stuff to be done/added and you yourself don't do it 100%, is just counter-productive.

I am currently still on vacation and on a phone, but when I am home in a couple of days I still have lots of other stuff to do for SG, but I will keep your ideas in mind to possibly get something officially done, because atm I haven't seen any +AO agree with you doing this alone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Goku
1 Jan 2014, 09:18pm
Saying "I made the video at 3 am, so don't be mad at the things that are bad" is the same as me as a BD saying "I created the ZE server at 3 am, don't mind that the server doesn't have the ZE mod installed."
That is just a horrible excuse. Either get something good, or let someone else do it (when they have time).

I have nothing against you, as you should know, but asking for 'decent' stuff to be done/added and you yourself don't do it 100%, is just counter-productive.

I am currently still on vacation and on a phone, but when I am home in a couple of days I still have lots of other stuff to do for SG, but I will keep your ideas in mind to possibly get something officially done, because atm I haven't seen any +AO agree with you doing this alone.

Point of me saying when I made it was to tell you it was late and I just wanted to get something out there.

I'm not saying that particular video is going to be what is featured on the channel, I just threw something together real fast to just put on. Odds are I'll just delete the video here soon anyway.

Moving on from the video itself.

I talked to MPQC last night about it being "official". He said "official is a fancy word for "because we say it is" or w/e" He said as for it being pushed as the official one, meaning openly supported by the group and advertised within the group, I would have to get community support.

In terms of those behind the idea, everyone I asked, which was prob close to 20 ppl, liked the concept of it. Said concept being videos submitted by members of the community showcasing fun moments on the server. I myself am incapable of recording gameplay footage. The entire premises of the idea was for me and jake to manage the channel, with the videos being user submitted. Which in turn would make it a community channel. Not just a few members from the community.

As for what gator said about backlashing, I am open to constructive criticism, but essentially telling me "looks like a 12 year old retard" made it doesn't really tell me much about what to work on.

Ignoring the video, which is deleted, lets focus on the idea of the channel itself. I'm gonna talk to some people tomorrow that have some game recording and work on getting some gameplay videos uploaded.

ScubaToaster
1 Jan 2014, 09:33pm

I gave you constructive criticism on page 2, no need to get so aggravated. Please tell me you're not using Windows Movie Maker.

Goku
1 Jan 2014, 09:38pm

I gave you constructive criticism on page 2, no need to get so aggravated. Please tell me you're not using Windows Movie Maker.

For the time being, unfortunately yes. After a few paychecks I will try to invest in a more suitable program.

Open to suggestions as to which programs work best.

Crzycanadian
1 Jan 2014, 09:42pm
Just go "purchase" sony vegas like the rest of the world

ScubaToaster
1 Jan 2014, 09:43pm
For the time being, unfortunately yes. After a few paychecks I will try to invest in a more suitable program.

Oh god we're fucked.

Wertles
1 Jan 2014, 09:43pm
Just go assfuck a pony like the rest of the world

this is best solution fuck paying actual money

Nishok
2 Jan 2014, 03:32am

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/buy/vegaspro?disp=1

One of the best there is, but very expensive.
I still have a license somewhere, but not sure if I can find it or if it is still valid, so yeah.
You should probably search for an alternative, because I doubt you will 'invest' in it without piracy :p

BoM
2 Jan 2014, 10:52am
In terms of those behind the idea, everyone I asked, which was prob close to 20 ppl, liked the concept of it. Said concept being videos submitted by members of the community showcasing fun moments on the server.

You say this, yet I don't see any support on this thread, or any other acknowledged support on the rest of the forums. This leads me to believe, similar to how you went and made the channel via talking to one higher up in steam chat, you're doing the same thing in getting opinions. If you did show the video you made with a potato to those "20 people", and they still agreed it was good, then you have a shitty audience base. If you didn't, then you're doing it wrong, as well as going through the wrong channels to get an opinion.

If you want an opinion on something SG, it should be public, and on the forums. Doing it through private steam chats creates a great amount of biased. Again if this was a smaller venture, I wouldn't care, but you're talking about a youtube channel. Youtube is huge, millions of people visit and post daily, and you're just one of those. So far you've only showed us a half-assed video, with poor video programs (forgive me for bad lingo here), and you also have no true premise as to what the channel will be about.

If you want to do this right, please go through the right channels and do some planning. Its evident that you are rushing into this idea, so turn down the ADD for two seconds and use your head.

P.S. I have a full friendlist, half filled with random supporters (of which there are a lot of you). Half the time if someone asks for an opinion on something I will just tell them something that makes them leave me alone. I don't have all the time in the world to give a full and honest opinion on everyone who makes a new idea for SG or otherwise. Take that into consideration when going through steam chat to get opinions. Forums are always the better way to go.

harro
2 Jan 2014, 03:28pm
Eh it's strange how people suddenly start taking pride in the community after they bash on it so much. I mean what he's starting with so far is by no means great, and you guys are entitled to your opinion but there's a way to give constructive criticism without being a dick about it (<-that isn't directed towards everyone here), if you do want him to get better and continue what he's doing. At least he's trying to do something instead of sitting around sifting through the forums looking for shit to complain about, and then not doing anything about it.

PM me Goku if you want help with banners/graphics or anything and I'll help you out. I don't really have any experience in video editing though. Also what I suggest is you take the videos SG has so far (Like the old TTT stuff and ventrilo pranks) and put them in the channel, I'm pretty sure the original owners won't mind too much as long as it's for SG.

Also I'd ask Floffy for assistance because he has a couple of SG intros he's made that I don't think he's ever really used.