PDA

View Full Version : Starbound Server?

High
8 Dec 2013, 03:15pm
Starbound: Now on steam (http://playstarbound.com/)

A little minecraft, a little terreria, a little rougelike, i can see this as at least a nice experiment.

ShoieP
8 Dec 2013, 03:26pm
Bought Starbound yesterday.

It's really fun and would be great to have a Starbound server for SG. I'm sure theres an abundance of people looking for servers to play on.

Matt
8 Dec 2013, 04:06pm
Id say no right now, experiments are not needed now, we need servers that will be populated for the majority of the time as well as bringing new players in.

Chainedlord
12 Dec 2013, 04:24pm
http://playstarbound.com/

If hosting a server is considered it would be completely experimental as I don't think there is a way to set a cap on the player count or what kind of resources it would take up.

Any feedback or useful information is appreciated.

Chainedlord
12 Dec 2013, 04:26pm
Just did a quick forum search, can you merge this with highskys thread, or just remove it all together.

Frosty
13 Dec 2013, 01:41pm
merged

Eskomo
29 Dec 2013, 01:48am
BUMP AND REPOST!

Starbound server please (:, a bunch of us are playing and I'm sure others are aswell! It's a really popular game currently and it's just in it's infancy. The game is constantly growing and has huge potential on top of an already seemingly endless amount of things to build/explore.

I am currently hopping around servers and would love a permanent home, be my home SteamGamers.

PS. Please make sure the server doesn't suck balls, cuz constant crashing makes the game very much not enjoyable .

XeNo
29 Dec 2013, 03:25pm
Where can you get dedicated server files? And how many resources does it use up? BoM said he was looking into how difficult it would be to set one of these up.

I am not sure what kind of space we have to host a star bound server but I also don't think any higher ups actually play it to know how it works.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

BoM
29 Dec 2013, 05:35pm
Been running a server off my computer since yesterday with no problems. It's sad, considering every other server we tried to join lags, DCs, and crashes every 30 minutes. I think we've had 8+ people in here with no lag, unless I try to download something :P

The set up seems simple, and lacking structure.....but it does work. It is in early beta, so I can't expect much more from it.

XeNo
29 Dec 2013, 06:02pm
6:59 PM - XeNo: Also you know anything about Starbound?
6:59 PM - [SG] Nishok: For hosting a server? Yeah, but sadly I am not going to be home until the 3rd of January. If it hasn't been set up by then, then I will do it.
7:00 PM - XeNo: Alright I just wanted a response to take to the people asking about it.
7:00 PM - XeNo: Thanks Nishok

ShoieP
29 Dec 2013, 06:06pm
6:59 PM - XeNo: Also you know anything about Starbound?
6:59 PM - [SG] Nishok: For hosting a server? Yeah, but sadly I am not going to be home until the 3rd of January. If it hasn't been set up by then, then I will do it.
7:00 PM - XeNo: Alright I just wanted a response to take to the people asking about it.
7:00 PM - XeNo: Thanks Nishok

Starbound server? :happy:

Now, if only updates didn't reset characters. :(

High
1 Jan 2014, 01:09pm
Starbound server? :happy:

Now, if only updates didn't reset characters. :(

Only had 1 character reset from the first week. Still have my three characters after all the updates....

ShoieP
1 Jan 2014, 01:22pm
Only had 1 character reset from the first week. Still have my three characters after all the updates....

I don't.. :(

Nishok
3 Jan 2014, 12:31pm
Before I actually finish up the Starbound server, I need to know a couple of things.

I know there is no admin mod or something like that, so banning people is impossible as of now.
There are hacks and possible glitches available to crash the server.
So we will have to deal with all that.

Now, what I need to know: Is it safe to put the server online for public?
Eskomo told me that the chance of someone ever visiting your planet is very slim, so chance of grief is also slim.
You can't get to someone else's spaceship unless you are invited to their party, so that is also secured.

Any other stuff that I am unaware of that are potentially dangerous for the players and the server? Because with the info I have now, it seems that it is safe to host a public server.

High
3 Jan 2014, 12:38pm
pretty much on the mark. if someone does anything major you can just go into the files themselves and reset a planet.

Edit: I think there are server mod tools on chucklefish's forums, but they are overloaded at the moment.

Nishok
3 Jan 2014, 12:58pm
Edit: I think there are server mod tools on chucklefish's forums, but they are overloaded at the moment.

Found it. Will give this a try.

High
8 Jan 2014, 12:00pm
so you gonna make this and rust live servers at any point?

Nishok
8 Jan 2014, 12:04pm
so you gonna make this and rust live servers at any point?

Impatient bastard!

We had some drawbacks on Rust (as you should be able to see from the CE section, I believe?), which is why Starbound was also delayed because we wanted a combined announcement. Everything is going great. So expect it... Very Soon™

BoM
8 Jan 2014, 12:05pm
Impatient bastard! Very Soon™

TRADEMARKED BY BLIZZARD. BAN PLEASE!

High
8 Jan 2014, 12:15pm
Impatient bastard!

We had some drawbacks on Rust (as you should be able to see from the CE section, I believe?),

never had that, even when i was forum mod.

Nishok
8 Jan 2014, 12:37pm
never had that, even when i was forum mod.

Oh, sorry then.

Anyways... Online! http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55789