PDA

View Full Version : War

Chêvouÿx
30 May 2008, 06:43am
Is it good or bad? Why or why not?

This video/song says everything I want to say: War's a pain in the ass. Why must it happen?

Rmo3OP_VBb8

Red
30 May 2008, 09:10am
Of course war is bad, but sometimes you need to get shit done when talk fails.

LegalSmash
30 May 2008, 09:13am
war industry is profitable, for us.

PotshotPolka
30 May 2008, 11:48am
Eisenhower Fairwell Address: Military Industrial Complex
Gave it after overthrowing democratic government in the Congo, fighting in Korea, and planning what would be the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Itch
30 May 2008, 11:55am
Just think of how many fewer video game titles you would have to select from if there were no war?

I can't be bothered to start listing them.. but how many are based just on WW2...?

Red
30 May 2008, 12:01pm
Just think of how many fewer video game titles you would have to select from if there were no war?

I can't be bothered to start listing them.. but how many are based just on WW2...?

Very true

Chêvouÿx
30 May 2008, 12:08pm
Very true

Agreed.

And just to add to Itch: In my theory, everything about D-Day at Normandy (including DVDs, video games, flash games, etc.) added together most likely lasts more than 6 months (which is about 4-5 months longer than the actual Normandy invasion).

And, if you combione EVERYTHING about ANYTHING OF WW2, you'd most likely get something that lasts maybe a decade.

But that's jsut my theory.

VirDeBello
30 May 2008, 12:25pm
War is good....look at past and current nations and empires and the answer is there.

Itch
30 May 2008, 12:27pm
War is good obliviously....look at past and current nations and empires and the answer is there.

Yes obliviously!

VirDeBello
30 May 2008, 12:31pm
Yes obliviously!

Did I speel that wrong? lmao well you guys know what I mean....

Captain Colon
30 May 2008, 12:32pm
I don't really see what war accomplishes that plausible-deniability covert ops wouldn't (in most cases) besides making people hate you.

Italian Jew
30 May 2008, 12:45pm
population control

Repus
30 May 2008, 12:53pm
War is final but strong choice. Its good that we had ww1 and ww2 now we can learn mistakes being done in history.

Captain Colon
30 May 2008, 12:59pm
If people learned from the mistakes of the past then we'd all be driving harleys powered by pure love to our jobs that we worked simply because they're needed by the community, for no pay because nobody would have any material desires and would just give away everything they make to people in need.

EvInReaLife
30 May 2008, 01:39pm
It's human nature to war. Accept it, and shut the fuck up.

dpgpowerlifter
30 May 2008, 01:41pm
well for me, i dont like war, but when u have to get shit done u got to get it done, sometimes talking does not work. i am looking to graduate highschool and go into army, and by then idk i mite have to go to iraq for a bit. but its all to protect are country, i support are troops.

Irish Rebel
30 May 2008, 01:58pm
war is fuckin shit, sometimes it needs to get done(WWII) but mostly wars are just started by cruel men
with too much might.

LegalSmash
30 May 2008, 01:59pm
Agreed.

And just to add to Itch: In my theory, everything about D-Day at Normandy (including DVDs, video games, flash games, etc.) added together most likely lasts more than 6 months (which is about 4-5 months longer than the actual Normandy invasion).

And, if you combione EVERYTHING about ANYTHING OF WW2, you'd most likely get something that lasts maybe a decade.

But that's jsut my theory.

Plagerizing Zero Punctuations review of Medal of Honor Airborne is lame. Its @ the beginning of the review, and not your theory. LOL.

LitKey
30 May 2008, 02:31pm
Plagerizing Zero Punctuations review of Medal of Honor Airborne is lame. Its @ the beginning of the review, and not your theory. LOL.

Hah, nice catch there. The reviewer is a total fuckwad too.

Lux
30 May 2008, 07:49pm
War drives nations to become stronger and more advanced. Also the same sort of thing with diseases and whatever else.

Without war we could very well be eating bananas? I dunno but I'm sure the

"If its not broken don't fix it" phrase would come into play if war was non existant.

VirDeBello
30 May 2008, 08:01pm
War is great not only technological but economical. Yes people die from war but people die all the time, its a natural thing. The people that say war is bad are the ones that have lost loved ones and I don't blame the for thinking war is bad but I guess in the end its a personal opinion.

Italian Jew
30 May 2008, 08:07pm
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/ORLY/1/Bush_O_RLY.jpg

YAY! Its all good and bad at the same time...now lets go get some cake.

AND NO IT IS NOT A LIE!!!111!1!

Slavic
30 May 2008, 09:51pm
I've never liked nor supported war. Violence should only be used as a last resort after all other means of peace have been exhausted. Also in my belief wars should not be glorified nor celebrated. Nothing is more disgusting than glorifying mass killings.

BOOWY
30 May 2008, 10:04pm
War isn't bad as long as you've got a good reason for it. Sometimes the system doesn't work and the only way to do things is to blow the door down. I don't know about all the specifics on the war in Iraq, but I think it's pretty safe for me to assume that it was a case of blowing the door down. I don't know all the specifics on the proper way to declare war, and yes there probably is a proper way with the U.N. established, but I doubt that trying to work within the system of a group of people with a long history of inactivity in times of crisis such as the U.N. is what was healthiest at the time for the US.

I will say however that never before has war in general been closer to the border between good and bad for me than it is now, with tensions as high as they are and the thought of nuclear weapons.

phatman76
30 May 2008, 10:10pm
Calling war an extension of politics or some type of negotiation is stupid. War is the sovereign, god given right for a man to fight and die for his beliefs, his family, his land, and his people. War is always defensive in some way or form, when it is merely for political or physical gain it is called invasion, subjugation, and occupation. War is hell, agreed. However, war is also important to humanity. Ultimately, humanity is so inherently evil that we must sometimes sacrifice our very lives or end the lives of others to prevent further loss of life or to defend our most cherished and needed beliefs. Being willing to kill for an idea is being willing to invade and conquer someone. Being willing to also die for that idea, to believe it so heartily and understand that the cause is so just, is the ultimate cause of "good war." To many, land and riches are worth killing for, but only things like your homeland, your family, your faith and your freedom is worth dying for. That is why Russians literally ran into the killing zone of Stalingrad without guns and why the founders of the USA were willing to sacrifice all they had for their land and liberty (Perhaps this is also why that when the population of the USA perceives a war as not vital to our survival, we inevitably lose it). That is because to die for these things is to gain something that even death cannot rob from you, unlike riches or wealth.

/end philosophical deepness rant...

mNote
30 May 2008, 10:59pm
Why I think war is good...

1.) War is good because it drives the economy and rids the world of the weak.

People naturally want more control and power for themselves and therefore go to war to gain that power. They break the weak and rob their goods to themselves and use it to further fund their own natural greed for power.

2.) With war as a unifying force, a whole nation can come together as one and further increase their focus on what the nation's leader think is important.

A good example would be George W. Bush using the Iraq War as an excuse to even stay in war. War can keep an entire nation focused on what is important and build on that rather than doing what each individual want to selfishly do to themselves. War eventually affects everyone's lives.

3.) War controls the population.

As sad as it may be, more people will equal more sorrow. The more people there are, the more mouths you have to feed. More people also means more production but that would also mean more exhaustion of the Earth's natural resources.

4.) War is inevitable, therefore we have to prepare for war, even during peace-time.

History always repeats itself one way or another. There will always be a nation that will take the crown and then slowly become corrupted and loses it to the next. There will never be a time where a single nation can physically last forever, but rather only in memories.

5.) War gets the job done.

If you boil it down, war is just the meaning of one force acting against another force. Whichever force prevails becomes the dominant force over the other and eventually create footsteps for the other force to follow.

When the dominant force slowly loses its energy, a new and stronger force will act against it and prevail over that.

These are just my thoughts and ideas. I don't ever feel the need for war when we have history books we can look over.

Like Slavic said, war should be the last resort when every other means of negotiation is thrown out the window. The first person to jump to war is usually the first person to die.

You shouldn't ask people what to do what you wouldn't do yourself.

LegalSmash
30 May 2008, 11:24pm
WTF man, is this def poetry jam?
War (snaps fingers) is a feeheeheelin' in mah pants.

LOL.

Fighting and bickering is not exclusively human in nature, animals show aggression, fight, etc. War is a conscious choice, either to aggress or to defend, interests by bringing sustained collective violence on the other party, to either preserve something of your own or take something of theirs (which you consider to be your own). War is not political negotiation, but rather negotiation at the end of a weapon, "aggressive negotiation" to quote that fucktard Anakin Skywalker in Ep. 2.

Man is an animal... plain and simple, one that wears clothing, shits in a hole, and uses the internet. We can think, and reason, but the same aggressive force that courses through an orangutang when he beats the shit our of another one is the same that went through the americans bayoneting the germans in the trenches of the great war. Aggression has many names, hate, love, its all entertwined. We just have to put a pretty word on it to make us feel better about things, because the very same aggressive, angry, alphamale shit that we do in a boardroom gets called "Competitive" can turn a grabby evening into a sexual battery case. Its the EXACT SAME thing... aggression.

Itch
31 May 2008, 12:15am
War (snaps fingers) is a feeheeheelin' in mah pants.

Best LegalSmash quote yet! Keep 'em coming!

Lux
31 May 2008, 03:31am
I think war is started for two reasons.

-Economic Gain/Territorial Gain
-Religious views or Beliefs

Now it is immoral to say war is good because you are in most cases left with a bigger lose than gain (World Wars and the Crusades for example).

Economic war and Territorial Gain is generally about making your country greater. It happens all the time, even in "our great world of today":thumbdown: there is war.

Religious war in my opinion is when things turn ugly. How many wars start because of religious or belief indifferences. Not all are like this, a lot are just for the money and gain of land (thinking back to the Brittish Empire) but most of the horrific wars have religious related hate. The Holocaust was down to Hitler brainwashing people into thinking "Its the Jews fault" and the Crusades were down to wanted one holy city and thousands, maybe millions(?) died for it, which seems a bit wasteful, obviously not to the surviving people who have great wall a church over where Jesus was crucified and whatever else but if you had economic intent they wouldn't march all the way to Israel they would do something with more gain and less loss.

So whilst war isn't "right" it is life, but I think if it is going to happen it should atleast have a good reason, I think wealth is a good reason, maybe it is greedy but greed in the past is why the UK and US are big countries, if we didn't start economic wars we would be far less advanced basic beings.

LegalSmash
31 May 2008, 07:26am
I think war is started for two reasons.

-Economic Gain/Territorial Gain
-Religious views or Beliefs

Now it is immoral to say war is good because you are in most cases left with a bigger lose than gain (World Wars and the Crusades for example).

Economic war and Territorial Gain is generally about making your country greater. It happens all the time, even in "our great world of today":thumbdown: there is war.

Religious war in my opinion is when things turn ugly. How many wars start because of religious or belief indifferences. Not all are like this, a lot are just for the money and gain of land (thinking back to the Brittish Empire) but most of the horrific wars have religious related hate. The Holocaust was down to Hitler brainwashing people into thinking "Its the Jews fault" and the Crusades were down to wanted one holy city and thousands, maybe millions(?) died for it, which seems a bit wasteful, obviously not to the surviving people who have great wall a church over where Jesus was crucified and whatever else but if you had economic intent they wouldn't march all the way to Israel they would do something with more gain and less loss.

So whilst war isn't "right" it is life, but I think if it is going to happen it should atleast have a good reason, I think wealth is a good reason, maybe it is greedy but greed in the past is why the UK and US are big countries, if we didn't start economic wars we would be far less advanced basic beings.

Saying War is good is not necessarily immoral man, war can be a means to an end (see ww2). There was a lot more to the holocaust than just Hitler brainwashing his people that it was the jews fault, between Hitler and eichmann they managed to create the german version of homeland security, which would hire fucktard germans that were not good for the Heer, Luftwaffe, or Kriegmarine, and SS and make them "guards"... similar to our own wand wavers at the airports here in the hotel (stupid uniform on stupid person with stupid job at a MUCH too high salary). Germany's rise to power was not solely based on Jew Hate, as many revisionists would have you read in their books. The treaty of Versailles, reparation contracts and the world wide effects of the great depressions made Germany ripe for such occurrence. I would venture that WW2, much like EVERY OTHER WAR was about economics, which HAPPENED to carry the Holocaust with it.

Further, the Crusades in their time were both necessary and proper to Europe...rather than oil, their commodity in the middle ages was religion, controlling the holy land was the equivalent of controlling every oil field int he middle east. It was not so much really religious, but territorial... being able to tell your flea infested, plague suffering peasant christian euopeans that you have St. peters fingers, Jesus' hat, the virgin mary's veil, etc. Similarly, the Muslims built religious buildings, "property" in the area, they adverse possessed the region so to speak.

The crusades were essentially a border dispute with religious undertones.

Lux
31 May 2008, 08:14am
I agree with you, I did WW2 alot and I know all the causes I just didn't want to venture too deep into it.

Crusade wise the border dispute is over religion, religion wasn't just something that came with Jerusalem the nice plot of land with hot weather it was the main religious city of both religions and they wanted it for whatever reasons, a pathway to Heaven....St Peter's fingers....whatever.

Slavic
31 May 2008, 10:26am
I think that Jerry Jackson (http://www.fat-pie.com/wars.htm) has the proper understanding of the implications of war.

LegalSmash
31 May 2008, 01:07pm
I agree with you, I did WW2 alot and I know all the causes I just didn't want to venture too deep into it.

Crusade wise the border dispute is over religion, religion wasn't just something that came with Jerusalem the nice plot of land with hot weather it was the main religious city of both religions and they wanted it for whatever reasons, a pathway to Heaven....St Peter's fingers....whatever.

Jerusalem, and much of that part of judea was then and is still today considered the asshole of the world weatherwise.

Lux
31 May 2008, 01:40pm
Worse than the UK are you sure?? it is late May and it should be hot by our recent standards, and a few days ago it rained heavilly....and I am in south England Scotland is probably 10 times as bad.

Slavic
31 May 2008, 08:46pm
Worse than the UK are you sure?? it is late May and it should be hot by our recent standards, and a few days ago it rained heavilly....and I am in south England Scotland is probably 10 times as bad.

lol I think that Bangladesh has you beat on rain related shitty weather.

Red
31 May 2008, 09:06pm
Or Myanmar, ZING!

Lux
1 Jun 2008, 06:00am
lol I think that Bangladesh has you beat on rain related shitty weather.

Ofcourse there is always somewhere worse but there are always places better, depends on what you consider yourself, lucky or unlucky. I would see myself as lucky because I am well off but not lucky because I haven't won the lottery yet :crying: