PDA

View Full Version : Study hints obesity epidemic among US children has peaked(or not)

juku
29 May 2008, 08:04pm
You guys should really read this I mean their saying that the us obesity rate has reached its limits lies I say. I see more diet products having more fat producing than the fat product. It'll never end with so many fast food places.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBESE_KIDS?SITE=TXDAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

mNote
29 May 2008, 10:30pm
What the hell is their secret to obesity? I ate mickey D's for a whole month and still weigh the same as I had when I first started the god damn weight gaining diet.

Italian Jew
29 May 2008, 11:13pm
It depends on what you eat, how much you eat, your metabolic rates, amount of activity, etc.

You can eat all kinds of the "crap" they say not to eat just as long as you are off of your ass for part of the day. Their secret is sitting down all day playing CS or whatever game.

LegalSmash
29 May 2008, 11:36pm
i used to weight 235, now about 185 (lost originally to 171, but finals and flu hit me hard, back on track though), did it through running and eating a balanced diet. Occasionally Ill have bad for you food... but its occasionally. If you are eating shit every day and not doing anything WOWnerd style, of course you will gain weight if you have a shitty metab

Captain Colon
30 May 2008, 12:56pm
Totally foolproof plan to declare an "obesity epidemic" in a group of the population for which the system used to define obesity is notoriously inaccurate. A kid could go from obese to borderline-underweight from a growth spurt where they grow 8 inches but only put on 10-20lbs. And seriously, "ages 2-19?" I'm sure the obesity rate in 2-year olds is shameful and could be easily fixed by schools serving "healthier" lunches.

I have not noticed any kind of fat problem in any of the areas I've lived in or visited in the past 10 years...and I know that's something I would notice because I'm really shallow.

dpgpowerlifter
30 May 2008, 01:34pm
dude there are a lot of fat people, sorry to say, it could be true

LegalSmash
30 May 2008, 02:20pm
School kids are fat bc the parents would rather let them veg out in front of the TV than interact with them, make them do shit, put them in activities. Parents create the little pissants and then leave them in front of the TV, PC, Wii, etc and feel its parenting... or that the kid is going to pick something up aside from the food and remote. If you cannot afford to, or have time to keep the kid healthy, stop fucking having them, or DONT have them at all.

Slavic
30 May 2008, 09:39pm
School kids are fat bc the parents would rather let them veg out in front of the TV than interact with them, make them do shit, put them in activities. Parents create the little pissants and then leave them in front of the TV, PC, Wii, etc and feel its parenting... or that the kid is going to pick something up aside from the food and remote. If you cannot afford to, or have time to keep the kid healthy, stop fucking having them, or DONT have them at all.

Exactly, more responsibility, and the blame that comes with it, has to be put in the hands of parents. Too often are other people and groups blamed for things that the parent is truly at fault for. Obesity in young kids is completely the parents fault and their lack of regulating their child's diet. I see it as a form of child abuse as well.

Italian Jew
30 May 2008, 10:08pm
Go buy a Wii. It will get them off there fat asses while they play video games at least...unless they get the lame sit down games.

Lux
31 May 2008, 04:28am
I used to be fairly skinny and then I become quite fat fast, the time I started to play internet gaming joy!, or maybe because I was growing I dunno.

I've been at a constant weight for some time now, 12.5 stones or 175 pounds, which is too much in my opinion. Metabolism is a bitch I wish I had super high metabolism like one of my friends who does nothing half the time, eats crap and is underweight, although maybe not so much as him I don't want to be beaten up :scared:

Balance is the obvious solution. Everyday I do something, I have a park near me and a leisure centre so I don't have excuses to not do anything.

The sad thing I saw on the news was that a woman was driving her kid 100 yards to school everyday, obesity isn't down to junk food it is parents who aren't responsible enough.

Also I don't think I understand the meaning of "obese". When I think of obese I think of round people, and yet they say 27 percent are obese or extremely obese. When I look back on my schools I remember a few people, maybe 20 in 300 people who struck me as obese. When I think of obese I think "round", they have to obviously be fat by just looking.

Captain Colon
1 Jun 2008, 05:09am
Doesn't anyone get tired of blaming the parents for everything?

Also I don't think I understand the meaning of "obese". When I think of obese I think of round people, and yet they say 27 percent are obese or extremely obese. When I look back on my schools I remember a few people, maybe 20 in 300 people who struck me as obese. When I think of obese I think "round", they have to obviously be fat by just looking.
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/defining.htm

* An adult who has a BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight.
* An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese.

It is important to remember that although BMI correlates with the amount of body fat, BMI does not directly measure body fat. As a result, some people, such as athletes, may have a BMI that identifies them as overweight even though they do not have excess body fat.

I was a fat kid, I'm not fat now and I didn't put any particular effort into accomplishing that.

Lux
1 Jun 2008, 06:04am
Yeah I saw a news report on BMI because whilst it generally is right athletes can be shown as overweight.

I'm confused because the time in which I became a bit overweight from a model fit child was the main growing time I had, which is strange because you would think when you are in a growth phase you can eat more but I dunno it was also the time when I was addicted to gaming completely.

LegalSmash
1 Jun 2008, 09:19am
They should just show this group of pics at every school, in every class, in the morning, right after the pledge and before lunch.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/7f/Fat-girls-in-bikinis.jpg
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/7c/Fat-friends.jpg

juku
2 Jun 2008, 06:56am
[QUOTE=LegalSmash;54302]They should just show this group of pics at every school, in every class, in the morning, right after the pledge and before lunch.

noooooooooo that is somewhat crazy and will make me want to diet ruining my health and get major fat like them. no offence but to that extreme fatness is somewhat unnerving. That is the main reason why people would go diet (peer pressure).

Omar
2 Jun 2008, 08:46am

LOL!
im not fat, im a child, my parents are wealthy and i dont go 2 sports, its just that i always hang out with ma homies :P and play football (as in european football) ((as in the sports where u use ur foot and not ur hands)) :P

LegalSmash
2 Jun 2008, 09:01am
LOL!
im not fat, im a child, my parents are wealthy and i dont go 2 sports, its just that i always hang out with ma homies :P and play football (as in european football) ((as in the sports where u use ur foot and not ur hands)) :P

See part where it says "play football", this implies that you exercise, or are made to do so, the fat kids arent

Omar
2 Jun 2008, 09:40am
ah ok... yay me :P

Lux
2 Jun 2008, 04:27pm
By the time parents realise it is too late the kids are become parent hating weirdos

aka wow nerds. "NOOOOO PLEEEEEEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE LET ME PLAY" ahaha