PDA

View Full Version : No warnings?

SATAN
29 May 2008, 08:36am
This is just something thats been bugging me, i see a lot of people getting mad about not getting warnings before getting banned for something other than racism or hacking, but most admins say that the rule is that they dont have to warn anymore and thats why the message of day is there.

And on the other hand i saw a post last week or so from Haggard saying that all admins should give a written warning or a kick before banning.

Only thing I have to add is ALL admins should be giving out writen warnings OR kicks before they move to a ban. This is our policy and it will be followed. If a player feels he is being banned without warning, keep your console and take a screen shot.

*This does not apply to racists and hackers.

from: http://www.zombiemurder.com/forum/showthread.php?p=49982#post49982

So what is it really? this is not something that happened or will happen to me personnaly cause im a saint in game(ironic huh?), but im just curious as to what the rule really is.

Lux
29 May 2008, 10:14am
I think a warning or kick is fair.

MOTD isn't a warning how many people actually read it? Then even if they do they might not know they have done something wrong, or it could be completely accidental. Banning them straight off isn't fair, If you warn someone you stop them doing it mostly and then if they continue ban them.

The job of admins is to make sure the server has fun whilst being fair right? So I don't think banning people for one off wrongs or accidents isn't making people happy and it means more people will have to appeal but they get rejected anyone even if its an accident because the persons story is never believed unless they have proof but why would they when it was an accident.

Suri
29 May 2008, 10:31am
I think a kick is our warning. I will still give out a warning before I kick. This is a rule that admins should be using.

Jaffa
29 May 2008, 10:44am
the admins are constantly giving out warnings, by spamming the green admin text every few minutes or so

Z3r0 M4ni4c
29 May 2008, 10:47am
I always warn everyround.
And people still ignore so thats then there fault.

And if they dont read the motd then thats there fault.

People should read the important things and dont just ignore it.
Thats whathappens most of the time.
And then they complain they didnt got warned then they should better look at it. I always see admins giving out warnings to people.

I dont say to the thread starter this but just what happens on the servers.

Suri
29 May 2008, 10:55am
Zero please go read the read in the SA area.

callistotyler
29 May 2008, 11:43am
I totally agree, i've been playing on the server for a few days now and i've seen about over 100 warnings in the green text. In maps that bring the worst out of people with tking and locking teammates out the message gets spammed just about every round. A kick is a fair warning because they can just press tilde and see what they were kicked for, or, if you put a message with the kick such as
"Kicked
Reason - Excessive mic spamming next time it will be a ban"

And if they still argue that they didnt get a warning after that I don't think thats the admin's fault at ALL, because the player was obviously being a dips--- to get kicked in the first place it's there fault if they come back and act up again.

Thats just my opinion.

Red
29 May 2008, 11:49am
kick = warning

bones brigade
29 May 2008, 07:10pm
from what i see most bans are made before warning or anything. i do notice the messages but some people dont read them or are caught up in the game and dont get a chance. i believe they should just give a warning so people know whats going on. there probably be far less bans if the admin just warn them than just relying on those things that tell you. its just my opinion though.

Prvtpwnage
29 May 2008, 07:20pm
I always warn everyround.
And people still ignore so thats then there fault.

And if they dont read the motd then thats there fault.

People should read the important things and dont just ignore it.
Thats whathappens most of the time.
And then they complain they didnt got warned then they should better look at it. I always see admins giving out warnings to people.

I dont say to the thread starter this but just what happens on the servers.

Yep Z3r0 be givin out those warnings everyround. As well as a bunch of others

A. Wesker
29 May 2008, 07:31pm
I use the green and the white warnings,but the peoples still they no listen.:glare:

Zargotelc
29 May 2008, 07:47pm
Yup and there's no excuse too the warnings are everywhere.

As I've said before , I'm confused as to why people STILL blow bridges up and close gates on teammates especially when people like Z3ro remind them at the beginning of every round with his green text. :laugh:

bones brigade
29 May 2008, 08:16pm
all im saying is people get caught up in game and dont read those things but i dont break rules. i just everyone to not do anything wrong and have a good time on these great servers.

phatman76
29 May 2008, 08:32pm
WARNING = WRITTEN, VERBAL or KICK, PERIOD

None of this motd or bind say at the start of each round bs, people just tune it out.

After a real warning, I really do bring the ban down hard. I expect a player to stop instantly or take a nice vacation from the SG servers.

Lux
30 May 2008, 01:37am
If the person doesn't see the message or know its directed at them, maybe do something to let them know? A green message in the bottom doesn't mean "wow out of 30/30 people in the server it must be me in trouble".

Obviously don't go to too much trouble I'm sure none of you will anyway but a freeze from what I've seen normally makes people say "Admin why freeze me" and then you tell them and they stop.

Z3r0 M4ni4c
30 May 2008, 04:58am
i dont agree with that luxz0rz.

50%of the people behave after being frozen.
and 50% of the other people dont behave and are even making it wurse and do challenge the admins.

its not that effective.
Kicking would help 2. but same as the freezing thing its a 50% change it goes good and 50% change it goes wrong.

thats the deal when you warn them.
I also had some with a kid that was blowing up the bridge i kicked him and i warned him after this why he got kid.
Well the kid god mad and blowed it on purpose again and when i was just try to ban him he disconnected and came back under another name and tried it again.

This time he was banned because i noticed his name in the player list and his behaviour. Thats what you get when you observe people much.

So as conclusion a warning with a kick or freeze doesnt work always it works for 50%

trakaill
30 May 2008, 09:28am
If the person doesn't see the message or know its directed at them, maybe do something to let them know? A green message in the bottom doesn't mean "wow out of 30/30 people in the server it must be me in trouble".

Obviously don't go to too much trouble I'm sure none of you will anyway but a freeze from what I've seen normally makes people say "Admin why freeze me" and then you tell them and they stop.

Actually I agree with that a lot and also with phatman. I still think that warning should be issued directly to the player who is breaking the rules. And if you wanna ban after a written or verbal barning it should not be long. In my warning it says freeze -> kick -> ban and this works for me. why not for you??

krazykarl
30 May 2008, 11:37am
What I have noticed is that some Admins are there to regulate and make sure everyone is enjoying themselves, and that others are there to flex thier "e-peen" by tossing out bans. It really is the nightclub bouncer complex some of them have.

KrazyK

bones brigade
30 May 2008, 05:30pm
i still believe they should directly warn the player because most of the appeals i read say that they never get a warning or they didnt know. much can be avoided if they directly tell them to stop. but its not up to me its the admins choice

Italian Jew
30 May 2008, 05:32pm
Most of the appeals are bullshit...

If they do not understand that when an admin says "DO NOT TK, GLITCH, DESTROY BRIDGES, HINDER TEAMMATES IN ANY WAY!" in the easily readable green admin text and continue to do so, they should not bitch and complain about how they were not personally warned. They can go be noobs in other servers if they want to.

Zargotelc
30 May 2008, 05:36pm
Most of the appeals are bullshit...

Exactly , in addition , as I said before , there's no excuse that you didn't know the rules. They're right there when you come onto the server , in addition most of the people I see that get banned in the server are warned repeatedly.

Lux
30 May 2008, 06:53pm
I saw in an appeal that someone was banned for a racist name which they didn't know was so and were having a conversation with other people and didn't see the warnings so they got banned for ignoring.

I don't think this is the right way to go about it. Ignoring is when you know what you are doing, he didn't know he was doing something wrong so if you don't get their attention kick or freeze, unless they are afk there is always a way to get someones attention...

Italian Jew
30 May 2008, 07:43pm
Yeah...its called admin chat. If they don't notice the green letters (sometimes the large white ones that pop on your screen), too bad. They were warned.

EDIT: Not to mention of the MOTD screen nor common sense. I doubt anybody would put a racist word in their name unless they knew it was racist. Names are typically funny or mean something to somebody. Some idiots think it is funny to use racist words in their name and then swear they never knew it was racist. "WTF!? You telling me Stupid N***ERS is a racist name? I had no idea..."

Lux
30 May 2008, 08:12pm
You took my out of context.

I said a racist name, but it wasn't the usual ones you see thrown around, I hadn't even heard of the word before. According to the player banned he had no idea it was offensive and other admins had no problem with it and he didn't notice an admins warnings to change it as he was in a conversation and got banned.

In this case I'm not going to blame the admin nor the player, the admin should maybe of tried harder to get the persons attention, a freeze or kick as I said before will get their attention obviously. If they are afk why ban? It isn't their fault they cannot hear you.

I would ban when you see that the person is not afk, you have gone far enough with warnings (written warnings, maybe a freeze or kick or a steam message) and they don't reply or just ignore. Then again you have to think about language barriers, I know people from many countries play on the servers so maybe they don't entirely understand you.

I don't think it is the players fault until they actually know that what they are doing is wrong, if you ban just because you can't get them to reply then that isn't fair, it should be about whether the rule broken was broken with intent or not, once you warn them and they acknowledge it and carry on or you simply know that they know what they are doing is wrong, ban by all means.

Italian Jew
30 May 2008, 08:16pm
They get banned for an excess of stupidity. The admins are the dams that prevent overflows of stupidity, so if someone threatens to go over the dam, the dam smacks down with the banhammer, removing the stupidity...for a while.

Lux
31 May 2008, 03:44am
If you slam the banhammer on a dam it will explode and mass bans will flow through :scared:

Astrum
31 May 2008, 05:16am
Nevermind.

callistotyler
31 May 2008, 01:00pm
Honestly the admins on these servers are more then enough generous compared to ANY other server in cs:s. In any other server if you go around with a racist name you will get banned in an instant they dont even ask you to change your name, or if you tk and purpose they wont warn your or tell you not to do it again, it will be a ban right away. The zombie murder servers are great servers to play on and it's not the admins that are doing there jobs wrong it's the players that ruin it for others AND the admins.
Unless they are a complete "newb" to counter-strike then they should know the rules regaurdless of which server your playing on. If you go around server to server with the word "Nig--- Hanger" you already know that this player is bound to cause problems due to his name, and in my honest view they dont even deserve a warning becuase chances are hes been banned by many other servers for the same offense and some people seem to think they can get away with it so after they are banned they come to the forums and appeal to get unbanned and hurt the admins that banned them's reputations.
Like stated in other posts it is a 50/50 chance after you warn someone they may stop and they may act up even worse, theres not much you can do about that, but once again in my honest opinion I wouldnt even give most of the players that act up on the server a warning, I would take out my fucking ban chainlink fence and start chopping some fucking limbs off screaming "Your foot will be my dinner!".

Edit
-----
Not to mention, I used to own my own 1.6 server and It can be very very very frustrating for admins when you just want to sit down and play the fucking game but you cant when you have people asking for bans ever other minute or you have to warn every individual not to do this or that.

Another edit.

Admins responsibilities are somewhat to make sure everyone in the server is having a good time, enforce the rules etc etc, but it's NOT the admin's responsibility to remind the players to have some GOD DAMN common sense and NOT close the door on the rest of your teamates or blow up a bridge on them.

and now that i'm done ranting... Sorry x.x;

Z3r0 M4ni4c
31 May 2008, 03:20pm
Actually I agree with that a lot and also with phatman. I still think that warning should be issued directly to the player who is breaking the rules. And if you wanna ban after a written or verbal barning it should not be long. In my warning it says freeze -> kick -> ban and this works for me. why not for you??

Ok let me tell you first that i run Gameserver for Cs 1.6 and Counter-strike source for over 4 years now. 2 years of them in CSS.

Second i always warned people and got much experiense from the 4 years admin work on servers. And i can pick the wrong ones out of it who keeps annoying and breaking rules.

I can be an easy guy, but dont make it bad for yourself by keep breaking rules.

Also i warn enough in everyrounds and a kick dont work as warning even if you warn as much as i do. I think im generous enough to the people i ban.

I gave them enough chance to read rules. If they dont listen and just laugh about it then a ban is fair enough if i do it short.
People dont complain on the forum is i banned because they didnt got warned for it. So the warnings are comming over clearly enough.

And if you have the experience you know what punishment would work so that they stop breaking rules.

Lux
1 Jun 2008, 11:12am
Zero you don't listen enough or you miss things and assume the worst.

I think you are a good admin as you said you have experience but maybe reading /listening better would maybe get people to behave better, and a kick alone doesn't really explain much, if you kick and then tell them why they got kicked and if they do it again they will be banned most of the time you will see them stop.

Italian Jew
1 Jun 2008, 03:26pm
They will stop until the admin leaves the server. Once the admins are gone, they are back to being morons.

Lux
1 Jun 2008, 04:03pm
Depends on what it is and you can't just assume that.

If it is something like "don't camp there" or "don't take the boat without people" or something like that it could just be a learning thing, maybe they haven't played the map before and don't know the rules for each maps.

callistotyler
3 Jun 2008, 05:35pm
Depends on what it is and you can't just assume that.

If it is something like "don't camp there" or "don't take the boat without people" or something like that it could just be a learning thing, maybe they haven't played the map before and don't know the rules for each maps.

You cant assume that they will behave once an admin is gone either. Counter-strike is a competitive game and people have big ego's/e-peens in it. And there is a greater chance that once an admin is gone the players will act up.