PDA

View Full Version : Steam Announces Family Sharing

Riperzz
12 Sep 2013, 09:44am
http://store.steampowered.com/news/11436/
Coming Soon: Players who share computers can also share their Steam games

September 11, 2013 – Steam Family Sharing, a new service feature that allows close friends and family members to share their libraries of Steam games, is coming to Steam, a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. The feature will become available next week, in limited beta on Steam.

Steam Family Sharing is designed for close friends and family members to play one another's Steam games while each earning their own Steam achievements and storing their own saves and application data to the Steam cloud. It's all enabled by authorizing a shared computer.

“Our customers have expressed a desire to share their digital games among friends and family members, just as current retail games, books, DVDs, and other physical media can be shared,” explained Anna Sweet of Valve. “Family Sharing was created in direct response to these user requests.”

Once a device is authorized, the lender's library of Steam games becomes available for others on the machine to access, download, and play. Though simultaneous usage of an account’s library is not allowed, the lender may always access and play his games at any time. If he decides to start playing when a friend is borrowing one of his games, the friend will be given a few minutes to either purchase the game or quit playing.

For more information about Steam Family Sharing and the beta program, please visit store.steampowered.com/sharing.

Crazy Swede
12 Sep 2013, 10:15am
HAHAAHHA! I'm gonna have so much fun to troll my friends with this.

Oh, what's that? You're almost at the end? Would be a shame if I canceled your access right now, wouldn't it? :trollface:

Frosty
12 Sep 2013, 10:16am
Hopefully they add some feature where you can play the same game with someone while sharing, obviously there has to be limitations, but it would be better than it is.

BlackWhite
12 Sep 2013, 10:30am
Time to borrow game from friends, ahahahahaha

and Swede, you're evil

Spr00k
12 Sep 2013, 10:49am
Sounds interesting

LoneWolf
12 Sep 2013, 03:41pm
Finally. This is a great addition to steam, This will be wonderful

omarfire00
12 Sep 2013, 06:44pm
Pumped up to start using this new system.

ShoieP
12 Sep 2013, 06:45pm
Still totally confused about the matter but if it's anything like what I think it is..

This gun be gud :trollsm:

Vick
12 Sep 2013, 09:00pm
I like this! :O

Extreme Potatoes
14 Sep 2013, 03:46pm
To be honest, this doesn't sound half bad. :dance:

Harpr33t
14 Sep 2013, 07:13pm
Who here wants to be my brother ?

Sent from my flying elephant

Scion xz
14 Sep 2013, 07:15pm
This sounds awesome, but at the same time it would get pretty annoying.. I like the idea. :notbad:

Tsuna
16 Sep 2013, 06:40am
This is a great idea, def. have some games i buy and end up not really playing them, with this someone else still can, woot!

BoM
16 Sep 2013, 08:46am
This would be great if I had a gamer girlfriend who has a shit-ton of steam games..................

oh wait

I do. :happycry:

Crzycanadian
18 Sep 2013, 08:29am
This would be great if I had a gamer girlfriend who has a shit-ton of steam games..................

oh wait

I do. :happycry:

The Slaughterhouse
18 Sep 2013, 02:53pm
Idea isn't bad, however I see ways that people could abuse this...

However I still like the idea so yeah.