PDA

View Full Version : Replace Stronghold/Cinema with Morbus

ConnorC
14 Jul 2013, 02:16pm
MORBUS

Morbus is a mod (gamemode) for a game called Garry's Mod which is built off of Half-Life 2. The aim of Morbus was to create a scary multiplayer game where players are forced to make hard decisions on who to trust which will inevitably determine their fate and the outcome of the round. Players are either humans or aliens. The aliens can disguise themselves to look like humans, however to infect a human they must transform into their true alien form. Based on the scenario and situation the aliens must utilize a number of different tactics and strategies to infect and turn all the humans into aliens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VAE_oVjLP8&feature=player_embedded#at=123

Short Explanation:
- If you have played the garrysmod gamemode "Parasite", this is like it.
- If you have seen the movie "The Thing", this is like it
- If the above 2 do not apply to you, think of this as ZS + TTT but better

This is not a clone of TTT or ZS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rEbj3Rj3tc&feature=player_embedded

Morbus Download | Remscar.com (http://remscar.com/morbusgame/download)

D-Team oll
14 Jul 2013, 02:19pm
Morbus is one of the best things we could add to our server list

Matt
14 Jul 2013, 02:21pm
Me, Connor, D2W and gator were playing for a long while and im sure this is mod that will get people into Gmod its fookin awesome. Id love to get a server like dis. :D YES PLS.

Dimitry
14 Jul 2013, 02:22pm
I agree!
This is like TTT but shit ton more scary.

Paralyzed
14 Jul 2013, 02:30pm
Replace Stronghold, since Cinema actually still gets people from time to time.

Tweezy
14 Jul 2013, 02:34pm
I'm so up for this! This does look like a ton of fun :)

sebak
14 Jul 2013, 02:52pm
ill prly actually try some gmod for this game mode.

Nasu
14 Jul 2013, 03:07pm
better than an empty server

Wertles
14 Jul 2013, 03:08pm
Yeah get rid of stronghold and add this server.

Skyrocket
14 Jul 2013, 03:19pm
Are the major bugs fixed with it? (primarily the crashing that occurs)
If so: Replace sh now and add plx <3
If not: Wait until it's fixed and then add plx <3

Gator
14 Jul 2013, 03:39pm
As Matt said, We all played this and it was awesome. It's a bit weird at first but once you understand what to do and what's going on, it's super fun. I fully support Morbus.

ScubaToaster
14 Jul 2013, 06:47pm
The server will be populated for 2 weeks top. Calling it now.

Caution
14 Jul 2013, 06:57pm

my thoughts.

plus what's the point in even having ttt if we had this server

Paralyzed
14 Jul 2013, 07:52pm
Also to back up my claim about Cinema, this is what happened today without an event;

http://oi40.tinypic.com/30w1655.jpg

And it still is full while I'm writing this.

Skyrocket
14 Jul 2013, 08:16pm

Better have a server that's populated for a bit than a server that's dead, no?

my thoughts.

plus what's the point in even having ttt if we had this server

TTT and this are 2 different gamemodes, TTT starts off and remains a sneaky-sneaky style, while morbus eventually evolves into a combo between TTT and ZS as the match goes on.

Caution
14 Jul 2013, 08:19pm
they are essentially the same style game mode.

cakeshark
14 Jul 2013, 08:22pm
It's funnnn

Random {D-B}
14 Jul 2013, 08:22pm
I understand what Caution and Scuba are trying to say and I belive it to considering it's like TTT but I don't see Stronghold ever getting populated so this is worth a try. Looks fun to. It would also prob make me piss myself.

Skyrocket
14 Jul 2013, 08:35pm

At the start, yes, but instead of having 4+ traitors on a full server, you only have 2 brood aliens. And whenever a human dies by a brood, he can come back as a brood. And when you die by a human or a swarm alien, you come back as a swarm alien, which respawns but is very weak.
If anything, it's a very fun gamemode that's worth a try. It could work, you really never know.

Caution
14 Jul 2013, 08:37pm
I'm not saying it wouldn't work for sure, I'm saying there is no point in having TTT with this, as they're ESSENTIALLY the same game mode concept.

Skyrocket
14 Jul 2013, 08:40pm
I'm not saying it wouldn't work for sure, I'm saying there is no point in having TTT with this, as they're ESSENTIALLY the same game mode concept.

Eh, it's kind of one of those that it's hard to explain why it's so different from TTT. While I agree it's based on the same concept of betrayal and deception, it sets itself apart far enough to not be a clone and maybe work alongside our TTT server

Caution
14 Jul 2013, 08:43pm
Wishful thinking. Sorry, but it's close enough to not have a point in both, as one will thrive and one will die.

It would be like having a hosties server...it's essentially an offset of PB.

Matt
14 Jul 2013, 08:43pm

but with many differences that change the whole game. You have to play to understand this is just basics, honestly stronghold is just sitting there we may as a well try to get some use.

Caution
14 Jul 2013, 08:46pm
-_-

You guys are getting assinine. I have played it. I'm not saying they are literally the same exact gamemod. I'm saying they're similar enough that one of them would not survive while the other thrived. You can say "oh but it has this and this instead", but it's just arguing for literally no reason at all, because you can say they're "so different" until you're blue in the face, but the point I'm gettin at is that they have the same overall concept.

Matt
14 Jul 2013, 09:10pm
Sorry caution regardless of what you said I get that it has its similarities or its the same concept I still think we shud try it. Stronghold is just there why not remove stronghold then if its not populated.

Octa
14 Jul 2013, 09:10pm
All it would do is fight TTT for population, and one of the servers would end up dead. So no.

ScubaToaster
14 Jul 2013, 10:25pm
There is literally no regular TTT population, the game aspects are radically differing from one another. Comparing them as the same product wrapped in a different skin is wrong. The basic premise is similar but they begin to differ from there.

Wertles
14 Jul 2013, 11:35pm
There is literally no regular TTT population, the game aspects are radically differing from one another. Comparing them as the same product wrapped in a different skin is wrong. The basic premise is similar but they begin to differ from there.

This.

TTT is either dead or full of RDMer's, which then kill all of the population because someone's traitor round was ruined.
And almost no one joins when invited or said in the chatbox to get on TTT.
I think we should try it because after having played it for a while I really do like it, and since there is no TTT population it wouldn't be fighting it for any.

Caution
15 Jul 2013, 12:04am
They are NOT the same exact game. Yes, awesome, gold star.

They DO have the same general, overall concept to the point that one server will thrive while the other does not.

Comparing them as the same product wrapped in a different skin is wrong. The basic premise is similar but they begin to differ from there.

This is a contradiction in itself, because the basic premise would be the "skin", whereas the details that make it different would be the "product". I don't even understand how you guys can post "They're so different" that they can't even be compared. That's bullshit, it would be almost virtually like trying to run a hosties server side-by-side with a PB server. Or a VIP Escape alongside a regular Escape. Population IS going to be diverted.

This one is going to be up to Spartan, since he's the one who has dedicated so much time into TTT. I just saw him working on it and people there the other day, so I'm not particularly in favor for this server.

Tweezy
15 Jul 2013, 12:22am
Caution does have a good point guys. Yes, the gamemode is a little different in the aspect that you get to pick to either be an alien, or human. But the concept is exactly the same. If we did happen to get this server up and running, it would probably take all the population of TTT for around a month, and then die off. To be honest folks, until the population of SG increases ten fold, any new server is just going to take the population off of others.

I know i've suggested a few servers in the past, so don't see me as contradicting myself, my whole view has just changed. This gamemode does look like fun, but it won't last for long. TTT is out first baby when it comes to gmod, nothing will ever stand up to it (Forgive my crude figure of speech)

SilentGuns
15 Jul 2013, 02:01am
While I support a morbus server , I also agree that it would compete with TTT. You should have suggested this when TTT was dead so that the opposition wouldn't have had much to say . We should put this idea on hold for now and find some other mods .

Nasu
15 Jul 2013, 04:25am
Why do we have REG and scrim when they're essentially the same gamemode?

harro
15 Jul 2013, 05:08am
Everyone arguing that this would kill the TTT population does not know that TTT is really populated at varied/random times now. It'll hit like 14 players for an hour of the day and the rest of the day it'll be empty as fuck/have 5 people in it.

Probably because you guys never play on it anymore!

I mean TTT has been around for a while, it still has some players from time to time but it's nothing like the old days. A change might be good, if this does serve as a replacement for TTT it might bring back people that are fed up/just plain bored of TTT as I'm sure half of you in here already are.

If we do keep the TTT server, it will probably end up being a bunch of group playing TTT or Morbus, but it would increase the total population of people playing on our GMod servers and I don't understand how this would be a waste of resources when there's absolutely nobody in Stronghold at the moment with the average player count for that server being 2 this past month.

Quit being a shitty downy and letting past server failures keep SG from trying new shit out, this looks fun and there's a bunch of people already willing to play it. Otherwise might as well call this community dead already.

Also fucks sake, I can argue that Morbus and TTT has more differences than ZRiot and Zombie Escape, Scrim and Reg, Minigames and Deathrun which can essentially already be in Minigames.

Paralyzed
15 Jul 2013, 06:02am
While I support a morbus server , I also agree that it would compete with TTT. You should have suggested this when TTT was dead so that the opposition wouldn't have had much to say . We should put this idea on hold for now and find some other mods .
We can all agree that even then the argument would be "Let's first get TTT back up on it's feet before trying anything new." It's not just the gamemode that would drag players out of TTT, it's a new server in general. Just look what Stronghold did to TTT a while ago, everyone seemed to have lost interest and it isn't as easy to populate TTT as it used to be. So even if you find something that is completely different than TTT, it would still drag out most players from TTT (because we don't seem to attract too many random players apart from our current playerbase).

And yes, perhaps it would die after 1-2 weeks like any other new server did.. but honestly setting up a Morbus server only takes around a hour in total, so all it takes is a bit of motivation from someone to actually do it.

Caution
15 Jul 2013, 08:31am
Quit being a shitty downy and letting past server failures keep SG from trying new shit out, this looks fun and there's a bunch of people already willing to play it. Otherwise might as well call this community dead already.

Also fucks sake, I can argue that Morbus and TTT has more differences than ZRiot and Zombie Escape, Scrim and Reg, Minigames and Deathrun which can essentially already be in Minigames.

First paragraph:
I don't take you seriously usually ever because you ALWAYS manage to do what's exactly in there: indirectly insult people who disagree with your point of view while somehow bellowing extremities and expect them to get taken seriously. Tone it down a bit.

Second paragraph:

That's fucking horseshit and I have absolutely zero problem comparing and contrasting Zriot vs Escape or Minigames vs Deathrun with Morbus and TTT. Fucking really? That's just baiting yourself with a response from an empty claim. ENTIRELY different with an ENTIRELY different point of playing.

Why do we have REG and scrim when they're essentially the same gamemode?

Other than the fact that YES, it does (roughly 75-85% of the time) affect population, the server is dead anyways. Anybody who played reg and scrim knows that the population WAS directly affected because they were similar gamemodes with people looking to play for a similar-ish scenario. See - this is me using direct experience I've had with server managing to formulate an opinion on this. It's not me going "HERP NEW SERVER, don't want to do it."

You guys are so focused on taking what I'm saying and blowing it so far out of proportion and then trying to use it as a basis for an argument.

Matt
15 Jul 2013, 08:39am
I know you guys do a lot of work around here and its not noticed but if theres something i can help with the setup i would be glad to help in anyway i can. Im sure theres plenty of us that wud be willing to help. All were askin is a switch from stronghold to morbus. It may seem like a lot to ask but if it doesnt work out you guys can get rid of it. Im sure alot of u have noticed the votes for one server 25-3. Ever since i have joined ive never seen so many people say yes/support or defend a suggestion. And i dont want to start flame wars caution i know your entitled to your opinion but so are others. :)

Octa
15 Jul 2013, 12:01pm
Honestly it's like a choice. Do we try to revive TTT or just let it die? Because IMO a Morbus server would either kill it or die itself in a matter of weeks. I love TTT and would like to see it come back, so I voted no as Morbus to me doesnt seem as fun nor like it would make me want to keep coming back to play it. But who knows, maybe it will work, maybe it wont. Our point is TTT and Morbus cant survive together with our current playerbase, and I doubt Morbus would draw many new players.

So theres no point in having both. Pick one and stick to it.

Caution
15 Jul 2013, 12:02pm
Who's starting a flame war? Just because we're arguing doesn't mean there's a flame war. Nor am I trying to say people can't have their opinions; I'm saying that there are other factors that play into effect.

ScubaToaster
15 Jul 2013, 01:21pm
Vote stands at 28-3 and the only counterargument that I've seen brought forth is the possibility of it siphoning population from TTT when TTT hasn't had a population in months.

They do have similar dynamics in the regard that the objective is to survive versus a group which is hostile yet appears as one of the flock. However they diverge from there in the regard that TTT can be treated as a solo game whereas Morbus has a more group oriented dynamic, which is coupled with anti-camp mechanics to provide a smoother and more stimulated environment, and quite frankly the population of each respective gamemode appears as different from one another as that of a hardcore RP server and a Fretta server.

Communities successfully operate both at decent populations; I feel that the argument that it will harm the TTT server isn't realistic in the face of the failure of TTT to even garner population and is only a singular and insufficient premise to reject this suggestion in face of that fact that Stronghold also fails to garner population and exists as a dead end which just sits there utilizing SG resources.

harro
15 Jul 2013, 01:53pm
First paragraph:
I don't take you seriously usually ever because you ALWAYS manage to do what's exactly in there: indirectly insult people who disagree with your point of view while somehow bellowing extremities and expect them to get taken seriously. Tone it down a bit.

Second paragraph:

That's fucking horseshit and I have absolutely zero problem comparing and contrasting Zriot vs Escape or Minigames vs Deathrun with Morbus and TTT. Fucking really? That's just baiting yourself with a response from an empty claim. ENTIRELY different with an ENTIRELY different point of playing.

Other than the fact that YES, it does (roughly 75-85% of the time) affect population, the server is dead anyways. Anybody who played reg and scrim knows that the population WAS directly affected because they were similar gamemodes with people looking to play for a similar-ish scenario. See - this is me using direct experience I've had with server managing to formulate an opinion on this. It's not me going "HERP NEW SERVER, don't want to do it."

You guys are so focused on taking what I'm saying and blowing it so far out of proportion and then trying to use it as a basis for an argument.

ZRiot + ZEscape, shoot at zombies whilst running backwards until objective is completed/all zombies are dead.

Reg + Scrim, only reason Scrim kills Reg is because there's always one guy that always goes "Hey everybody, wanna go scrim?", while the server barely ever gets people.

Minigames + Deathrun, once again, you can have deathrun maps in minigames.

Anyways, sorry for coming off too strong.

It's also just really stupid when people here that argue for TTT's revival versus Morbus hasn't even bothered stepping on the server in months/help get it revived by actually playing on it.

Octa
15 Jul 2013, 03:15pm
It's also just really stupid when people here that argue for TTT's revival versus Morbus hasn't even bothered stepping on the server in months/help get it revived by actually playing on it.

Derp, yeah I havent been on in months... Oh wait, I was on just a few days ago. Please think before speaking.

harro
15 Jul 2013, 04:29pm
Derp, yeah I havent been on in months... Oh wait, I was on just a few days ago. Please think before speaking.

Yes I am specifically targeting you here out of all people.

Edit: Also you were on the server twice for the period of the whole month (maybe even more than that?), grats.

Caution
15 Jul 2013, 05:05pm
ZRiot + ZEscape, shoot at zombies whilst running backwards until objective is completed/all zombies are dead.

Erm...have you played Zriot? With that comparison, I could say every single first person shooter is the same game because the overall concept is to kill things. It's getting pretty ridiculous how much you are stretching here.

Reg + Scrim, only reason Scrim kills Reg is because there's always one guy that always goes "Hey everybody, wanna go scrim?", while the server barely ever gets people.

Doesn't matter, the server population is still directly correlated

Minigames + Deathrun, once again, you can have deathrun maps in minigames.

???

They're two entirely different game modes. I could put a zombie escape map on the prison break server, still does not change what the original intention of the server is.

You guys are seriously trying so hard to make these two to be ENTIRELY different game modes. Sorry, but they are not all that different. I don't understand why so many assholes puckered up at the DARE thought that anything be similar to Morbus. Like, it's not a bad thing, it's just the truth. Jesus Christ. Yes, they have specific features that DO make them different, but the underlying concept of the game is virtually the same. As I've said a thousand times, it's like Hosties vs. PB.

Not sure who you're specifying, but from a higher up standpoint (or even from a player standpoint), how do you know that none of the people saying that have put any time into getting the server revived? And even then, if they hadn't, why the fuck would it matter? I don't put any time into Deathrun, but if another mod similar to it came out and I thought it would directly harm server population, I obviously wouldn't be for it.

As I've said, this is probably going to be left up to Spartan.

harro
15 Jul 2013, 05:46pm
There is but ONE factor that makes Morbus comparable to TTT, and that is you don't know who the enemy is. That's it. Nothing else is the same. What's irritating is you're trying to make your opinion sound like a truth when there's a shitton of reasons many people are giving you that is saying the game modes are are not as similar as they seem to be. One factor doesn't make it essentially the same game mode, and since you're saying you've got so many other specific similarities that only pertain to TTT and Morbus, go ahead and name them.

Any GMod server that we add is going to directly harm TTT's population anyways, no matter how similar the game mode is. Do you remember how people flooded to PERP/DarkRP when those servers were put up?

Yes I have played ZRiot. You shoot bot zombies while backpedaling. Same shit in ZEscape, just that you actually have to backpedal/run towards a designated area and the zombies are people.

If it doesn't matter and the server population is directly correlated between scrim and reg, then why the hell do we still have both of the servers? You're arguing against yourself here.

Also yeah I would know that no one's been trying to get the server revived until recently this week because the server's been dead for the past whatever months because I keep refreshing my server list, seeing no one on, asking people to help me get it populated, with no one wanting to.

If you've stepped on the server lately, it's usually just 5 or 6 random people or none at all. In fact there's no one on it right now, at 7PM in the middle of summer.

If you want a bigger picture of how none of the regs seem to enjoy the server anymore like they used to, Bork and Vader, who have been banned for quite a while already, somehow are still in the Top 10 players for the server itself, even after being banned for ages.

The fact is the TTT server is a dead/dying horse. You've got a bunch of people lined up to play Morbus, but no one lined up to play TTT, I don't know why you can't see that. All of the fun regs/people that you consider "trolls" that kept the server populated are either banned or just plain disinterested with the game mode. Sure you can make an event or possibly get a large population for like an hour or so of the day, but it will die back down and the case is we need something fresh and new that people will enjoy playing.

Frosty
15 Jul 2013, 05:49pm
sounds pretty gay

voted no

Caution
15 Jul 2013, 06:24pm
There is but ONE factor that makes Morbus comparable to TTT, and that is you don't know who the enemy is. That's it. Nothing else is the same. What's irritating is you're trying to make your opinion sound like a truth when there's a shitton of reasons many people are giving you that is saying the game modes are are not as similar as they seem to be.

It's the entire fucking point of the game mode. It's not an opinion, it's a fact, if you want to be an asshat about it and make yourself seem big because you can throw insults when people disagree with you, then that's fine, still doesn't make it any less true. This entire debate was fine until you came in and decided to act like a 6 year old.

Yes I have played ZRiot. You shoot bot zombies while backpedaling. Same shit in ZEscape, just that you actually have to backpedal/run towards a designated area and the zombies are people.

Except...you don't have to backpedal?

If it doesn't matter and the server population is directly correlated between scrim and reg, then why the hell do we still have both of the servers? You're arguing against yourself here.

One is dead anyways. It makes no difference if I turn it on or leave it off at this point.

Also yeah I would know that no one's been trying to get the server revived until recently this week because the server's been dead for the past whatever months because I keep refreshing my server list, seeing no one on, asking people to help me get it populated, with no one wanting to.

As in you have no idea what happens back-end (unless someone tells you).

If you've stepped on the server lately, it's usually just 5 or 6 random people or none at all. In fact there's no one on it right now, at 7PM in the middle of summer.

Which means population should probably be worked on.

The fact is the TTT server is a dead/dying horse. You've got a bunch of people lined up to play Morbus, but no one lined up to play TTT, I don't know why you can't see that. All of the fun regs/people that you consider "trolls" that kept the server populated are either banned or just plain disinterested with the game mode. Sure you can make an event or possibly get a large population for like an hour or so of the day, but it will die back down and the case is we need something fresh and new that people will enjoy playing.

Or you just get population back lol. I see so many people complaining TTT has no population, yet they want to play. How about you guys get together lol, formulate an event, talk to whoever is in charge of the server, etc. They said PB was dying too, it's not impossible for servers to come back.

I honestly don't even care if we get a Morbus server that much, but you guys got so butthurt when another opinion comes in from someone who has actually managed servers and sees the potential to further put TTT in the hole.

harro
15 Jul 2013, 07:36pm
"It's the entire fucking point of the game mode. It's not an opinion, it's a fact, if you want to be an asshat about it and make yourself seem big because you can throw insults when people disagree with you, then that's fine, still doesn't make it any less true. This entire debate was fine until you came in and decided to act like a 6 year old.

Apologized for it, haven't directly insulted anyone after the first post, get over it. If it were a fact, I'm pretty sure the majority would agree with you, but I guess you know something about the game mode that everybody else does not apparently.

Except...you don't have to backpedal?

Yeah I guess option 2 is camping in a cheap spot with people while holding down their mouse button at a choke point until zombies are dead, which you still can do in either

One is dead anyways. It makes no difference if I turn it on or leave it off at this point.

TTT is also for the most part, dead. Why are you arguing for a revival of TTT and not Reg?

Which means population should probably be worked on.

Or we could just get a new game mode. Shit gets boring. People move on.

Or you just get population back lol. I see so many people complaining TTT has no population, yet they want to play. How about you guys get together lol, formulate an event, talk to whoever is in charge of the server, etc. They said PB was dying too, it's not impossible for servers to come back.

This has already been tried. Server fills up for an hour, then dies for the rest of the day like I said. People that do want to play are only interested in playing it for an hour or so, which isn't a bad thing, but no one wants to play enough to keep the server constantly populated. And tbh I'm pretty sure most people by now would rather have a new game mode filled with people than one they've been playing for 2 or 3 years. You can tell no one's really interested in the game mode because half of the server is usually prop fighting and not actually playing the game mode out."

Caution
15 Jul 2013, 08:07pm
If it were a fact,

For like the eightieth fucking time..

It has the same overall concept that it would deter any type of population TTT had. I am not saying that TTT has much of a population now. I am saying that any type of revival method for TTT would be absolutely nullified if this server was put up, therefore the choice is not a simple "Oh, let's do it." I am simply saying that it needs to actually be thought about past vote counts, because it's not just "Get rid of stronghold." There are other factors that come into play.

I don't even understand why you can't grasp this really simple concept. Sorry, but I've had enough first hand / second hand experience with server creation that I can formulate a pretty solid opinion that TTT will, more than likely, lose any and all chance of coming back. Ever. Which is something that needs to be considered.

Yeah I guess option 2 is camping in a cheap spot with people while holding down their mouse button at a choke point until zombies are dead, which you still can do in either

Um...or just working as a team and holding a relatively decent sized area?

Why are you arguing for a revival of TTT and not Reg?

I'm not, you're assuming I am. I said that I think it would make more sense to populate TTT since so much time has been put into it and the availability of it being populated is there, and that in the long run I don't really give a fuck if Spartan puts up a Morbus server (which I think he will). Also, side note, learn what you're talking about in regard to Reg, because I am in the debating period of whether or not to start a GO Reg server.

Or we could just get a new game mode. Shit gets boring. People move on.

Yep, should have just canned PB for hosties, and canned Escape for Zriot.

ExRev
15 Jul 2013, 08:14pm
I like the argument of how TTT is so dead. I just left a full server when I had to go to work.

ScubaToaster
15 Jul 2013, 08:19pm
I like the argument of how TTT is so dead. I just left a full server when I had to go to work.

A singular incident over the course of a long dry spell. I'd compare it to the one day of rain in a 3 month drought. Personal anecdote too.

Apolyx13
15 Jul 2013, 08:54pm
I just played some of this, it was really creepy and fun! hope it gets added

Octa
15 Jul 2013, 09:38pm
Yes I am specifically targeting you here out of all people.

Edit: Also you were on the server twice for the period of the whole month (maybe even more than that?), grats.

When you posted that, there were only 3 no votes, and I am literally the only person that said "I want to keep TTT alive, so dont get Morbus", not "Morbus would destroy TTT, so we only need one of them."

SO yet again, think before you post. And yes, a few times in the past month, because I was on vacation for 2 weeks of the past month and then TTT was getting fixed when I came back. And then steam sales started and I have been a little distracted from CSS/GMod

Tweezy
16 Jul 2013, 12:29am
When it comes down to it, the gmod servers aren't doing very well with popularity. If we get another server, or change the gamemode on a current one, it will put further back our attempts to try and increase the playerbase on TTT. I still think Caution is right, this just isn't the time to request a new server. Lets just wait a couple of months and try and help TTT, when it gets a good playerbase that returns on a regular basis, then maybe Morbus should be requested again.

Just calm down and think about this logically.

ExRev
16 Jul 2013, 04:16am
Just calm down and think about this logically.

You've met SG, right?

Tweezy
16 Jul 2013, 04:56am
You've met SG, right?

It was partially a joke :')

Frosty
16 Jul 2013, 06:00am
TTT was full a few nights last week, what the hell are you talking about?

You can tell no one's really interested in the game mode because half of the server is usually prop fighting and not actually playing the game mode out.[/COLOR]"

What? You haven't even been on because you think no one plays, no one has been doing that lol (Apart from me to make Spartan mad)

If we get a Morbus server, it will be filled obviously, but then it will die.

SexualHarassmentPanda
16 Jul 2013, 06:42am
Although I'd like to see this server for a little while (considering Stronghold is just wasted space right now), I can confidently say that this server's population isn't going to last past two weeks, and that pretty much any of these new GMod server suggestions are never going to work either.

These new gamemodes are nothing but trends. There are a few GMod gamemodes that will always stand the test of time: Build, TTT, RP, Prop Hunt, etc. The rest come and go. Remember how popular Elevator: Source was? Fretta? Chimera Hunt? Even Stronghold is starting to lose popularity.

Most of these gamemodes don't fade into obscurity after the initial buzz about them wears off, but develop smaller and more focused communities that populate a few niche servers while leaving the rest empty. Our problem is that we always hop on these trends too late, usually around the time there is little demand for new servers and the popularity of the gamemode itself is beginning to fade. That's why we have an empty Stronghold server and a mostly empty Cinema server.

SexualHarassmentPanda
16 Jul 2013, 08:12am
Morbus was released May 2011.

And practically no one had said a word about it right up until SeaNanners started playing it. My original post may have been poorly phrased (granted some gamemodes were around for a while before people picked up on them), but my point remains valid. This mod has had a surge of popularity recently because of exposure on YouTube and it's going to be long forgotten in a few months time.

Maybe it had just slipped under my radar all these years or it's the fact that I'm searching for servers from Russia now, but I still don't see enough of a following to really think this will attract too many people (1 populated server out of the 6 servers found).

D-Team oll
16 Jul 2013, 12:45pm
Morbus was released May 2011.

No its a updated version of a broken mod called Parasite and was released. Morbus hasnt been out that long, not sure for how long but under a year

ConnorC
17 Jul 2013, 05:00am
Reason
"asinine", "horseshit", and telling someone they were rude =/= insult. Continue insulting = forum ban.

You removed my post for insulting you (and then move me to the BD channel in vent and threaten to forum ban me if I insult you again), when throughout this thread you have displayed worse behaviour.

You've called people assinine for having a differing opinion, you called Harro's opinion horse shit, and then later on taunted him about insulting you. Just because people disagree with you, you assume they are butthurt and that their "assholes are puckered up".

Additionally, you didn't tell someone they were rude, you told them they were an asshat, yes, that is insulting them, and then to defend yourself further you claim everyone else is butthurt simply because they disagree with you.

Tweezy
17 Jul 2013, 06:05am
Everyone calm down. Yes, there are a lot of insults going around here, but can we please refrain from them and get back on topic. A lot of good points have come up here, so lets continue discussing them without the inflammatory posts. That goes for you as well Caution! :)

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 07:28am
You removed my post for insulting you (and then move me to the BD channel in vent and threaten to forum ban me if I insult you again), when throughout this thread you have displayed worse behaviour.

You posted a spiderman picture directly insulting me with random quotes that you took as insulting because they have swear words in them lmao. Yeah, if you want to insult me again after I told Harro to calm down originally, you can kick rocks with a forum ban. Or really in general, if you try to insult anyone. Don't really care.

You've called people assinine for having a differing opinion, you called Harro's opinion horse shit, and then later on taunted him about insulting you. Just because people disagree with you, you assume they are butthurt and that their "assholes are puckered up".

People call each others...erm...opinions (and I say that loosely) "horseshit" and "bullshit" all the time. If you suddenly develop the urge to take that offensively, go ahead. And yes, it was assinine claiming they are basically entirely different mods. That is still debate phase, picking apart other people's opinions. I even reference my own (the part I believe to be an opinion) as a "server management opinion". The entire part about if TTT will die IS an opinion (different game modes still isn't, to me, lol), however it's one formed from first hand experience with server management. I'm not going to start calling people downies because they disagree with me. I'm gonna say "That's horseshit because xxx...".

Additionally, you didn't tell someone they were rude, you told them they were an asshat,

This is about literally the only thing that even makes sense as an insult, and even then it wasn't random "You're an asshat because you think 'X'", it was essentially "You're being an asshat because you're coming in here and randomly insulting people." I'm pretty sure, judging how he apologized later, he probably could admit he was being an asshat at first. Sorry if you don't like swear words.

yes, that is insulting them, and then to defend yourself further you claim everyone else is butthurt simply because they disagree with you.

Yes, I said "every single person is butthurt if you disagree with me. This entire thing was a fine and dandy debate until people came in and started DIRECTLY insulting, ("downies", then your picture). If you think I'm going to let you post a spiderman picture randomly, literally directly insulting me after I told Harro to tone it down, have fun with that.

chet
17 Jul 2013, 08:54am
don't you guys see that new gamemode come out you want to change deadbserver for it i suggest even we have multi mod server (don't know if there something like that) or every 2,3 month we change it instend of dead server or alive for 2 weeks

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 09:00am
A standalone "multi-mod" server doesn't exist. IE, it can't change game modes on its own. It would require a server restart every time the game mode changes. I thought about building one, but in all honesty it's a huge hassle and would require the dedication of like...3 higher ups at least, to even the load.

Sleggie
17 Jul 2013, 09:14am
Honestly it's like a choice. Do we try to revive TTT or just let it die? Because IMO a Morbus server would either kill it or die itself in a matter of weeks. I love TTT and would like to see it come back, so I voted no as Morbus to me doesnt seem as fun nor like it would make me want to keep coming back to play it. But who knows, maybe it will work, maybe it wont. Our point is TTT and Morbus cant survive together with our current playerbase, and I doubt Morbus would draw many new players.

So theres no point in having both. Pick one and stick to it.

TTT is dead at times because everyone that contributes to the population of TTT goes on this other community's morbus server.

Neptune
17 Jul 2013, 10:08am
TTT is dead because everyone goes on this other community's morbus server.

TTT is not dead for the love of god, the population is just unsteady.

Seeing both arguements, caution your agruement has "lost" seeing the voting and as it progessed. As it stands now the vote is 36 Yes' and 6 No's, I think that the vote to get a morbus server has won and there should be a morbus server just to replace the Stronghold server. Not to replace the Cinema server seeing as that server is doing relatively ok.

Tweezy
17 Jul 2013, 10:13am
A standalone "multi-mod" server doesn't exist. IE, it can't change game modes on its own. It would require a server restart every time the game mode changes. I thought about building one, but in all honesty it's a huge hassle and would require the dedication of like...3 higher ups at least, to even the load.

It wouldn't actually be that hard... Just have all the gamemodes in the correct folder, organised nicely, then just have a sciript that changes the gamemode name on a vote... Rinse and repeat. I don't have the time to do it, but in practice it isn't the most difficult thing to accomplish. Pretty sure Nishok could back me up on this. It could all be done on the back of a switch statement

Huwajux
17 Jul 2013, 10:36am
You posted a spiderman picture directly insulting me
Spiderman pictures are notoriously the most emotionally damaging things to post on the internet. I can't believe he'd do such a thing. http://i.imgur.com/srOuyml.png

The game mode itself makes me think of a more complex 'virus' mode (like from timesplitters if anyone remembers that), whereby you have to try and survive as long as possible from being infected, albeit with some notable complexities.

Nishok
17 Jul 2013, 11:46am
The game mode itself makes me think of a more complex 'virus' mode (like from timesplitters if anyone remembers that), whereby you have to try and survive as long as possible from being infected, albeit with some notable complexities.

I hate you for bringing that up while I can't play it anymore. :(

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 12:47pm
Spiderman pictures are notoriously the most emotionally damaging things to post on the internet. I can't believe he'd do such a thing. http://i.imgur.com/srOuyml.png.

:yawn:

It wouldn't actually be that hard... Just have all the gamemodes in the correct folder, organised nicely, then just have a sciript that changes the gamemode name on a vote... Rinse and repeat. I don't have the time to do it, but in practice it isn't the most difficult thing to accomplish. Pretty sure Nishok could back me up on this. It could all be done on the back of a switch statement

Last time I talked to Nishok, he told me (like 95% sure) it was not physically possible without having a server restart, map change wouldn't do it AFAIK

ConnorC
17 Jul 2013, 12:57pm
So if I simply replied to your post with "That's horseshit", that’s completely acceptable? You wouldn’t take that as an insult? Me, essentially calling your opinion horseshit, is in no way offensive to you?

If I called you extremely stupid/asinine, would you not be offended?

I’m confused, I called you an asshole and you threatened to forum ban me if I insulted you again, yet you’ve insulted people three times in this thread alone, do the rules not apply to you?

You claim “this entire thing was a fine and dandy debate” – no it wasn’t, from the beginning you’ve virtually ignored anyone that had a differing opinion to you – you’ve said the same thing over and over:

“they are essentially the same style game mode”
Sky rocket points out some differences

“they are essentially the same style game mode”
Skyrocket again points out that it’s not a clone and could work alongside TTT (which as Scuba later said, many communities operate both servers with decent populations)

You then give the example of Hosties v. PB, pretty much again saying that they are essentially the same style game mode.
Matt points out that it has many differences which make it play completely differently from TTT and that stronghold is just a waste of resources at the moment.

Again you reply with “they have the same overall concept”. At this point you have repeated yourself three times. I think everyone understands your point, the problem is that you seem to take nothing from what others say, you ignore any points put forward and just say the same thing over.

They DO have the same concept. Yes, awesome, gold star.

Nishok
17 Jul 2013, 01:18pm
Last time I talked to Nishok, he told me (like 95% sure) it was not physically possible without having a server restart, map change wouldn't do it AFAIK

For CSS gamemodes you need to restart the server with directory namechanging. But for Gmod, you can change gamemode (coded in Lua) through a console command (or a Lua script).

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 01:19pm
Erm, no, it wouldn't be offensive to me, that's the point of a debate. If you think my opinion is horseshit then that's fine lol. Obviously I'd expect some sort of reasoning behind it.

You assume I'm blocking out that they have differences and that I'm not taking anything when I've acknowledged the fact numerous times, repeatedly. Even Skyrocket agreed with me and acknowledged my point that they are similar (maybe not to the same extent), and our opinions disagreed as far as TTT losing players or not. That's fine.

What you did is randomly insult me after I had to already tell one person to tone it down. You can respond to my points and we can go back and forth from there, but it was clearly taken past that point, and if it's continued then yes, you will receive a forum ban. If you have an issue with that then you can post an admin complaint.

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 01:21pm
For CSS gamemodes you need to restart the server with directory namechanging. But for Gmod, you can change gamemode (coded in Lua) through a console command (or a Lua script).

Ah, then that is an option.

Huwajux
17 Jul 2013, 01:24pm
I hate you for bringing that up while I can't play it anymore. :(
Here (http://timesplitters.wikia.com/wiki/TimeSplitters_Rewind) you go babygirl.

ConnorC
17 Jul 2013, 02:14pm
Erm, no, it wouldn't be offensive to me, that's the point of a debate. If you think my opinion is horseshit then that's fine lol. Obviously I'd expect some sort of reasoning behind it.

I’m confused, I insulted you and you threatened to forum ban me if I insulted you again, yet you’ve insulted people three times in this thread alone, do the rules not apply to you?

Also, there is Fretta, but I think we had a server once that didn't fair well.

Fretta - GMod Wiki (http://maurits.tv/data/garrysmod/wiki/wiki.garrysmod.com/index78f4.html)

Fretta servers do not have to be dedicated to just one gamemode. The users get to choose which gamemode they want to play next, keeping your server fresh and free from boredom.

Octa
17 Jul 2013, 02:18pm

I’m confused, I insulted you and you threatened to forum ban me if I insulted you again, yet you’ve insulted people three times in this thread alone, do the rules not apply to you?
[/I]

I think this is the point where you should really just stop arguing as this is pointless and irrelevant to the topic of the thread. Caution I think has realized that he maybe got a bit worked up in this thread, but you pushing it isn't helping bro.

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 02:20pm
You claim it as insulting yet I've already gone over this with you in my response this morning (as I feel I'm repeating myself over and over) and needless to say if they found it insulting then they certainly could (and should) have told me, just as I did you yesterday. So as I said if you feel that you being warned was unjust then you can post an admin complaint.

Huwajux
17 Jul 2013, 02:42pm
You claim it as insulting yet I've already gone over this with you in my response this morning (as I feel I'm repeating myself over and over) and needless to say if they found it insulting then they certainly could (and should) have told me, just as I did you yesterday. So as I said if you feel that you being warned was unjust then you can post an admin complaint.
I don't think an admin complaint would really be a viable option here. There has always been a huge disparity between what higher ups are allowed to get away with and what players are allowed to get away with. It's a blatant flaw in the system that has been around since the beginning of SG in all honesty.

The heated discourse between you and Connor seem to be an effect of that, and is why the impression being given off simply due to your position is a negative one.

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 02:56pm
Oh my intention isn't to portray I feel I've done something wrong regarding Connor at all. I simply said he can post am admin complaint if he feels like it.

Tweezy
17 Jul 2013, 03:07pm
Can we stop with all this bitching now please? Seriously, Connor and Caution should be banned from this topic. Talk about disrupting a thread. If you want to "discuss" this, then take it to vent or private messaging. You should be leading by example for god sake Caution, act like it.

Now. We were talking about this perhaps being quite similar to TTT, good opinions were bought up in both respects, so lets continue with that line please.

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 03:34pm
Lmfao Tweezy I can't tell half the time if you're trying to kiss butt or play the "rebel" against higher ups. You should choose one.

Part of being a forum moderator is to delete posts if they need be, and a lot of times said person is upset and wants to discuss it. I don't really see it as an issue, not like there's something to hide. And, in fact, ideas continued to roll and it never went off topic. If you have that much of an issue I'd suggest leaving the thread.

Huwajux
17 Jul 2013, 04:19pm
Oh my intention isn't to portray I feel I've done something wrong regarding Connor at all. I simply said he can post am admin complaint if he feels like it.
Uh, that's kinda completely off point but sure I guess? I was just trying to explain why posting an admin complaint in this situation is essentially pointless.

Now. We were talking about this perhaps being quite similar to TTT, good opinions were bought up in both respects, so lets continue with that line please.
Well discussions develop. This entire thread's purpose is to appeal to someone in a high enough position to actually do something, and Caution falls into that category.

If Connor feels that Caution isn't listening to any sort of reasoning that's pro-morbus and is allegedly resorting to throwing his weight around, then obviously Caution is going to have to defend himself. That's simply the way the discussion moves forward. People are still discussing the main topic anyway (e.g. the potential to change game modes on one server), so I'm not sure where the problem is.

high rws
17 Jul 2013, 05:02pm
i got a one month ban for having a bitch fight in a thread, and nobody here has gotten any punishment yet

hmm

ExRev
17 Jul 2013, 05:25pm
i got a one month ban for having a bitch fight in a thread, and nobody here has gotten any punishment yet

hmm

repermed.

Bye.

bamfers
17 Jul 2013, 05:45pm
It's obviously Global Warming that's the cause of all this!

Jake
17 Jul 2013, 07:06pm

hmm

Nobody cares.

Gator
17 Jul 2013, 10:28pm
The way the poll looks, more people want to try it than not to. Why not? Same concept, sure. Probably going to fail, sure. Might take a bit of TTT's population, sure. Nothing is going to be harmed badly though. Stronghold is just an empty server, with literally no population.

And for Caution, you don't even play TTT, nor Garry's Mod at all so just relax.

Caution
17 Jul 2013, 10:52pm
And for Caution, you don't even play TTT, nor Garry's Mod at all so just relax.

Um, excuse me? Other than the fact that I did (mainly before it died and before I had to deal with personal issues) occasionally play TTT, I can very much so give my opinion as to the matter because it's a first / second hand experience I have, with the overall intentions for the best of SG in mind, regardless of if it's going against the grain. You have absolutely zero right to imply what you did.

Golden Shower
17 Jul 2013, 11:00pm
Last I heard, most of us were grown-ups. Can we please start acting like it?

Back on topic. Morbus, is a blast. While the start is like that of TTT, there are SO many things that make it different.

(this was all in a server I played on with Gator, Jake, and BAMF)

A weight system.
-Yeah, weapons weigh you down!

Objectives!
-Pissing, eating, sleeping, all that, everything which can distract you!

Localizing voices
-Like in RP, localizing voices keep your voice within an x amount of pixel distance away from your friends, in space, no one can hear you scream.

I actually was nervous, nervous when I was alone.
-YEAH, A GAME GOT ME SLIGHTLY STARTLED. I'M IMPRESSED.

Randomizing names?
-Sure. Howard Howard? Fuck yeah, none of this GoldenGuy business.

Aliens?
-Aliens.

Aliens that disguise as humans, adding in that TTT aspect?
-Yep. Brood aliens can convert others to Brood aliens, they are the sneaky fucks you gotta watch for. Swarm aliens are your main attackers, and as the name states, if they swarm, you may as well just sit in a corner and make it easier for them.

All of that in a nice package together. I say we can run both at the same time. I have my days where I want TTT and now, I'll have my Morbus days. I'm a loyalist, so I want to stick to SG servers as much as possible.

Let's give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen? TTT dies? PFFFT. People will play that for days to come. Morbus Thrives? Maybe. But all the more for people to come to our community from.

Those arguing TTT is dead, I scoff. I scoff because it's just unsteady, as someone stated. But, even then, it's not hard to wake up. Just invite a few friends, then spam chat, etc. etc.

Yes from me on this. Replace Stronghold, though.

Tweezy
18 Jul 2013, 12:20am
Lmfao Tweezy I can't tell half the time if you're trying to kiss butt or play the "rebel" against higher ups. You should choose one.

Part of being a forum moderator is to delete posts if they need be, and a lot of times said person is upset and wants to discuss it. I don't really see it as an issue, not like there's something to hide. And, in fact, ideas continued to roll and it never went off topic. If you have that much of an issue I'd suggest leaving the thread.

Well, then I would recommend you deleting your own. Shit man, why do you always have to insult people? I'm me. If I feel like a higherup is being an ass (No names named) I will point it out. I've never sucked up to anyone and I never will.

Back on topic. The main issue being raised here is that Morbus is apparently too much like TTT. Well, after hearing everyone's point I don't fully agree. If anything, Morbus looks like something a lot better, and after playing it it goes leaps and bounds past TTT. I'll still stick to my feeling that this will take all the population of TTT, any new server will for a time period. We're are a community though, all it takes is one passionate higherup to decide to put some time and effort into it, like Spartan did for TTT and it may just succeed.

Caution
18 Jul 2013, 12:26am
Shit man, why do you always have to insult people?

Are you serious? You're high as fuck if you think I'm going to let you post a jab at me without myself replying. I posted straight up the truth, without calling you any name or anything of the sort; if you can't handle that then I wouldn't advise attempting to call anyone out.

I'm me. If I feel like a higherup is being an ass (No names named) I will point it out. I've never sucked up to anyone and I never will.

Quite the interesting theory. Did you care to argue some more or were you going to follow your own advice of following the topic trend?

Caution
18 Jul 2013, 01:15am
Also, I like the idea of a Fretta server with a bunch of (good, of course) mods that people like, to include Morbus. That, I'd be down to give a try.

Tweezy
18 Jul 2013, 03:48am
Also, I like the idea of a Fretta server with a bunch of (good, of course) mods that people like, to include Morbus. That, I'd be down to give a try.

I think we've tried Fretta before. With enough updates and maintenance, I think it would be a pretty good.

Gator
18 Jul 2013, 05:09am
Um, excuse me? Other than the fact that I did (mainly before it died and before I had to deal with personal issues) occasionally play TTT, I can very much so give my opinion as to the matter because it's a first / second hand experience I have, with the overall intentions for the best of SG in mind, regardless of if it's going against the grain. You have absolutely zero right to imply what you did.

Never have seen you but okay. Anyway, what mods would we put on if we did a Fretta?

Psyche
18 Jul 2013, 08:09am
having a fretta w/ morbus would be cool

plus if it end up people voting for morbus 90% of the time we can just convert it to a vanilla morbus server anyway

Matt
18 Jul 2013, 08:19am

Thank you caution. That sounds like a great compromise.

Golden Shower
18 Jul 2013, 08:44am
Then, what mods would we use?

Morbus is an obvious one. TTT is something we already have, I'd be more than happy to piddle around with some mods so that we can figure something out.

Caution
18 Jul 2013, 08:57am
Flood was fun, could do a zombie type mod (can't remember all the names off the top of my head), maybe some other stuff I'll look at during work. There's a fuck ton, I'll just start posting them as i come across.

SexualHarassmentPanda
18 Jul 2013, 09:36am
You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Setting up a Fretta server isn't as simple as it used to be because of GMod 13. All there is now is an unofficial port without a proper voting system, and Morbus wasn't even designed with Fretta in mind (unless you guys get it to work as the base, I don't know how it's going to work). This is a fair amount of work you guys are getting into.

Golden Shower
18 Jul 2013, 02:13pm
You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves. Setting up a Fretta server isn't as simple as it used to be because of GMod 13. All there is now is an unofficial port without a proper voting system, and Morbus wasn't even designed with Fretta in mind (unless you guys get it to work as the base, I don't know how it's going to work). This is a fair amount of work you guys are getting into.

Right. I was thinking that in the back of my head, but I figured I must have just missed an update.

Veggie
18 Jul 2013, 07:09pm
Looks like a lot of fun, I'm game.

Matt
18 Jul 2013, 07:38pm
I guess well just have to settle for a 24/7 morbus server... alright guys ive made my decision ill tell caution to work on it tomorrow. :trollface:

look at that support doe, replace dat stronghold with morbus.

Strawberry
19 Jul 2013, 12:49pm
i could see myself play this

floffypus
19 Jul 2013, 03:40pm
Maybe replace cinema with morbus or the hidden. Seen notch play the hidden and it looks really fun! And i think we should keep stronghold depending on how populated it is. Stronghold was awesome the few times i played it!

If both servers is dead most of the time its probably best to change mod. Or consider killing gmod and only keep ttt! Garrys mod servers seem to be very hard to keep alive!

Nishok
19 Jul 2013, 04:07pm
And i think we should keep stronghold depending on how populated it is. Stronghold was awesome the few times i played it!

Stronghold is dead. I still have to give it a decent funeral.

Lupin
19 Jul 2013, 04:46pm
I've played morbus on another server and it was boring as fuck to me. Felt a lot slower than TTT. Stronghold should be taken down, but not for morbus. Maybe a different mod or just take it town and don't replace it. iunno.

floffypus
19 Jul 2013, 06:24pm
Stronghold is dead. I still have to give it a decent funeral.

Better not kill it til i can join the funeral. I dont want all those hours for an awp to go to waste!

Matt
23 Jul 2013, 08:02pm
bump? any updates?