PDA

View Full Version : Internet to run out of addresses 'within 3 years'

juku
25 May 2008, 05:47pm
Lol I can't believe this. How can this be true. Why are so many addresses made and not used still taking up space for and here I thought internet is endless and now this popped up. Hope the problem never pops up.

http://technology.newscientist.com/article/mg19826576.700-internet-to-run-out-of-addresses-within-3-years.html

Captain Colon
27 May 2008, 12:12am
Yeah and even if we do somehow run out (which won't happen, there's more IPv4 addresses than computers to use them at any given time, unless 80% of the world suddenly decides to get a computer and all log on at the same time with no routers involved), we'll just switch over to IPv6.

SpikedRocker
27 May 2008, 02:44am
Lol I can't believe this. How can this be true. Why are so many addresses made and not used still taking up space for and here I thought internet is endless and now this popped up. Hope the problem never pops up.

http://technology.newscientist.com/article/mg19826576.700-internet-to-run-out-of-addresses-within-3-years.html

There are people out there that somehow make a living buying up all the address names they can think of and turning them around and selling them to some boob that wasn't fast enough to get it before them causing them to spend up to 200% more than they would have for the name.

Yeah and even if we do somehow run out (which won't happen, there's more IPv4 addresses than computers to use them at any given time, unless 80% of the world suddenly decides to get a computer and all log on at the same time with no routers involved), we'll just switch over to IPv6.

Internet is like the universe always expanding. Hopefully we don't have a big crunch haha!

juku
27 May 2008, 05:30am
Mmmmmm...crunchy dark matter... :wink:

lol that could be the sound of what would happen if everyone had a computer and logged on at the same time thus crashing many servers around the world and cause panic. In the future with the already overpopulated earth. the beginning of the end i guess.

SpikedRocker
27 May 2008, 07:46am
lol that could be the sound of what would happen if everyone had a computer and logged on at the same time thus crashing many servers around the world and cause panic. In the future with the already overpopulated earth. the beginning of the end i guess.

Maybe that will be how the world ends...world wide internet crash, causing instability in the matrix, causing the earth to spontaneously explode, the sun to suddenly implode and form a black hole so large it tears spacetime apart sending chronatons all over the universe, reverseing time backwards at incredible speeds to end up a small dot.

Then the nerd at the desk using the computer called "Universe" who watched this whole thing go on says, "Crap I got to start all over with 1 simolean and 1 HP and an acre of land. Took me 2 days to get that far!":scared:

phatman76
27 May 2008, 11:03pm
god forbid teh intertubes runs out of spots for pron sites!!!!

Italian Jew
27 May 2008, 11:51pm
I am going to go auction off the rest of the interwebz on Ebay!!!! :thumbup:

Google
28 May 2008, 02:41am
This story reminded me about this one. "Internet's current network architecture will reach the limits of its capacity by 2010."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6237715.html

Veggie
28 May 2008, 03:01pm
He will fix the internets.

Strike
28 May 2008, 04:31pm
You do know they delete old ones, don't you?

They won't run out. They said the same thing about license plates.

if they do ru out of licenseplates then they'll just do ones like

x18v54 and all tht crap
they havnt reached the end of the alphabet

phatman76
28 May 2008, 04:59pm
The internet actually could run out of support if server centers stopped getting built. Unfortunately, it is often the government or large government subsidies that build gigantic server centers at the cost of the tax payer. Stupidly, these servers become obsolete very quickly (what with tech advancing so quickly). The US Government is still the prime stakeholder in the internet basically, considering that if they stopped their support and turned off all their servers, the entire internet would crash.

juku
28 May 2008, 05:04pm
True in a way but with our technology advancing i don't think we need to worry now that i have thought about our virtual disk capabilities. Sooner or later physical objects can be virtual = endless.
ex: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=e1eb9aeb-9cb4-413e-982f-283667232590