PDA

View Full Version : Nasa Mars Rover Phoenix Landing 6:30pm Est.

Veggie
25 May 2008, 03:19pm
Anyone else going to be watching this? It's gonna be 7 minutes of terror before it lands on the ice caps of mars.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/index.html

Should be pretty interesting.

Lemmings19
26 May 2008, 05:56am
I love how two of the 9 pictures of the surface on the first page... Are just pictures of the rover's solar panels. Who gives a shit about stuff they can take pictures of on Earth?

Red
26 May 2008, 08:45am
Here's a spoiler - it will fail miserably.

:thumbup1:

I don't know about that.

Even though our space program isn't as good as the British, I think it'll do okay, the two other rovers have been operating long past their planned lifespans.

SpikedRocker
26 May 2008, 11:41am
I love how two of the 9 pictures of the surface on the first page... Are just pictures of the rover's solar panels. Who gives a shit about stuff they can take pictures of on Earth?

Those were taken as part of the landers programming. Takes pictures of itsself so we can tell if anything has broken on landing. The solar panels are the lifeblood of the lander and if they didn't unfold perfectly the mission could have been comprimised if they couldn't fix it.

Veggie
26 May 2008, 05:41pm
was pretty cool, they had a live stream up on ustream.tv called space vid cast. Now they are streaming whats going on at the space station. 1 thing that pissed me off was the narrator did not have his facts right lol.