PDA

View Full Version : out of curiousity...

Caution
24 Apr 2013, 11:37pm
are there any specific css servers you guys would like to see in the future? I was thinking maaaaybe VIP escape (got removed in like sept 2010), but i can't remember if the mod is still broken or not.

what do you guys think? btw this thread is not saying anything for sure will happen ~ but if i see enough support for something who knows.

no more surf...it fails after a month.

Korean Ninja
24 Apr 2013, 11:57pm
HIDE N SEEK :D

Caution
25 Apr 2013, 12:24am
eh...it's failed every time we've put one up.

Crazy Swede
25 Apr 2013, 12:47am
Rally/Race mod
Was funny as hell. Few other servers have given me such heavy laughter as this mod.:lol-guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1J3xR9QaUc

Caution
25 Apr 2013, 01:01am
afaik also removed due to no population

Paralyzed
25 Apr 2013, 01:33am
VIP Escape was indeed removed somewhere back in 2010, I remember we tried it again somewhere in/close to 2012 and it failed horribly due to the lack of population, the reason mainly being that we already have one Zombie Escape server, and all it would do is split our ZE player base between VIP and the regular one (unless you manage to pull all kind of randoms to the server, which I don't think will happen) and to be really honest.. the last thing we need for ZE is that the player base starts splitting between servers.

That aside, we still have two servers that are empty most of the times. That being Surf:DM and 24/7 Dust2. Perhaps those need to be looked into first, before even trying to expand ourselves on more CSS servers. (Unless you of course were planning to change one of those into a new one). Sure they might fill up in Summer, but that still doesn't give both of these servers a steady population because they'll just empty out again once the Summer is over.

And now as for the actual post, I wouldn't know of any 'new' mod that would attract a lot of players for a longer period of time other than one month. A new Garry's Mod server is more something I'm thinking of.

Dirk
25 Apr 2013, 01:40am
Well there is always gungame. I put an unhealthy amount of time into the last two christmas gungame servers.

Crazy Swede
25 Apr 2013, 01:48am
Well there is always gungame. I put an unhealthy amount of time into the last two christmas gungame servers.

GG usually dies out after christmas. And it will continue to do so, having a permanent GG server will not work out. AFAIK, I think we even tried that once, and it did indeed die out rather quickly a few weeks after Christmas was over.

Dirk
25 Apr 2013, 02:07am
GG usually dies out after christmas. And it will continue to do so, having a permanent GG server will not work out. AFAIK, I think we even tried that once, and it did indeed die out rather quickly a few weeks after Christmas was over.

As I was on that server more than anyone else I can say that the server had not really died out by the time it was shut down. If you ask the other people who played it they will tell you that it was almost always populated late at night. (might be partially because I spammed people to join the server)

Frosty
25 Apr 2013, 02:23am
I wouldn't mind seeing a napalm or gun game EVENT server sometime again, they are always fun and bring in people from all servers :d
I agree with Paralyzed on the VIP escape subject, as the server isn't populated enough as it is right now.

What we need is a RATS map server :D

Tweezy
25 Apr 2013, 03:27am
The way Escape is going now, having another Escape server would be very very bad. We struggle to get one server populated, I think two would just kill off the player base. We need something new and exciting, perhaps even get someone to make SG a gamemode, with enough advertising (Gameplay videos etc) we could get a very nice player base.

Repus
25 Apr 2013, 04:26am
Altho Vip escape was always my favourite server and I have been wanting it back since it left. I agree that it might have negative effect on normal escape.

Mayby little vip event on escape?

Wicked Pissah
25 Apr 2013, 06:11am
VIP/GG/HnS/SK/Rally/etc. multi-server

Different events for different weeks if it's not too hard.

All of them bring back good memories, but those only were for a week or two until they died. So combine them and switch them up every so often. Again, if it's not an incredible pain in the ass...

BlackEagle
25 Apr 2013, 07:29am
I would love to see VIP escape make a return.

Maybe an event would be better than an entire server to itself until the ze population picks back up.

MPQC
25 Apr 2013, 07:41am
Rally/Race mod
Was funny as hell. Few other servers have given me such heavy laughter as this mod.:lol-guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1J3xR9QaUc

We've currently got a Rally Race Mod server. 66.150.121.123:27016. Paul made an event about it earlier.

Nasu
25 Apr 2013, 07:59am
wcs was pretty fun although depending on the amount of work it needs might not be worth the effort

Caution
25 Apr 2013, 09:57am
That aside, we still have two servers that are empty most of the times. That being Surf:DM and 24/7 Dust2. Perhaps those need to be looked into first, before even trying to expand ourselves on more CSS servers. (Unless you of course were planning to change one of those into a new one). Sure they might fill up in Summer, but that still doesn't give both of these servers a steady population because they'll just empty out again once the Summer is over.

SG is not a reg community, dust 2 populates in the summer when everyone is out of school, that server is staying.

If I posted a thread asking for new ideas and said "no more surf" at the bottom, what do you think I'm going to do with surf dm...lol...

Caution
25 Apr 2013, 10:10am
VIP/GG/HnS/SK/Rally/etc. multi-server

Different events for different weeks if it's not too hard.

All of them bring back good memories, but those only were for a week or two until they died. So combine them and switch them up every so often. Again, if it's not an incredible pain in the ass...

It's possible but it requires an AO to manually change the game mod every time we want it switched. I mean, I'll keep the idea in the back of my head cause I like the idea of a 'multi' server, but I don't like the idea of it having to be manually changed.

SilentGuns
25 Apr 2013, 10:16am
Hide and seek was pretty fun. I don't remember that server failing .

Leon
25 Apr 2013, 10:33am
Hide and seek was pretty fun. I don't remember that server failing .

Until everyone knew the fake spots :[

Chrixz
25 Apr 2013, 11:03am
No point as of now. Half of our css servers are empty on a daily basis, except events and such. And servers like HNS and GG doesn't really work out too well. They tend to die out pretty quick, and they only last for a short period of time.

Tweezy
25 Apr 2013, 11:04am
It should be too hard to make a script that can randomly changes the game mode... Let me think about this.

Veggie
25 Apr 2013, 11:33am
Can't think of any off the top of my head, I'll look around tho and see what is really popular right now.

Spartan
25 Apr 2013, 12:43pm
http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/not-accepted/51519-come-back-race-server.html#post648401

Click it, don't read it.

Vick
25 Apr 2013, 12:47pm
How about a CS:GO server?
I know it failed in the past, but maybe try it again.

Frosty
25 Apr 2013, 01:01pm
How about a CS:GO server?
I know it failed in the past, but maybe try it again.

Depends what I guess

zombie mod and zombie escape don't work, when lots of shooting happens in a small area, everyone's pings shoot up really high, don't know how people can play that

SilentGuns
25 Apr 2013, 01:07pm
http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/not-accepted/51519-come-back-race-server.html#post648401

Click it, don't read it.

Now we must ask ourselves- why do we fail where others succeed? How do we make it so we do not fail ? Or we can just keep trying new stuff and hope that at least one new server becomes semi - successful , like MC FTB. I remember that someone suggested quake style deathmatch once .

I will look into some new gamemodes tomorrow.

ReneGade
25 Apr 2013, 01:32pm
Low Grav 24/7 Scoutz Knivez for my old school amusement. JK that would fail hard core.

But seriously any type of server if up soon and populated by admins/regs over the next few weeks could build an outside following large enough to sustain it through the summer more than likely. The problem is there is no way to tell which servers will survive the early fall, so its a bit of a crap shoot at this point.

Though the idea of a monthly rotating server is pretty interesting. Long enough that the AO doesn't feel they are messing with it constantly but short enough that its just starting to burnout when it changes.

Neptune
25 Apr 2013, 01:33pm
Napalm please

Kippe
25 Apr 2013, 01:37pm
more skill surf

Lupin
25 Apr 2013, 02:26pm
Aim_ag_Texture_2 wcs 24/7 deathmatch? ^_^ I know Bob i think tried to make a wcs server a couple of months ago, but i don't think anyone was aware of this server.

Thomson
25 Apr 2013, 03:28pm
I would like to have a regular zombie map where you barricade yourself in to kill the incoming zombies. It's just like ZRiot except with real players and actually barricading yourself in to a place. Basically, just maps with "ZM_MapName" in it.

Caution
25 Apr 2013, 03:50pm
Aim_ag_Texture_2 wcs 24/7 deathmatch? ^_^ I know Bob i think tried to make a wcs server a couple of months ago, but i don't think anyone was aware of this server.

wcs is a bitch to maintain. Zriot is complicated enough as is, so if I can avoid it I'd like to avoid something THAT difficult....plus it failed, it needs to have constant constant constant dedication from (in all honesty) probably at least 2 higher ups. It's too difficult and too much of a risk for the time and resources, imo

I would like to have a regular zombie map where you barricade yourself in to kill the incoming zombies. It's just like ZRiot except with real players and actually barricading yourself in to a place. Basically, just maps with "ZM_MapName" in it.

Zombie panic?

Dirk
25 Apr 2013, 03:52pm
could always bring back killing floor as there seems to be interest in that again

BlackWhite
25 Apr 2013, 03:55pm
Now we must ask ourselves- why do we fail where others succeed? How do we make it so we do not fail ?.

I have a 2 GG server, 2 zm with 1 unlitimed ammo, 1 scout knife and 1 popular map (a.k.a reg) was either almost full or half full whenever i open steam. it's just playerbase problem instead of server gamemode problem

ChriizCC
25 Apr 2013, 04:21pm
Don't we have Zombie Panic maps on ZE?

I like the idea of Zombie Panic, I used to play it a lot and it was really fun but to be honest, I don't think it's going to work either...
Edit:I remember this server being up last year and it was most of the time empty.

Frosty
25 Apr 2013, 04:22pm
Don't we have Zombie Panic maps on ZE?

I like the idea of Zombie Panic, I used to play it a lot and it was really fun but to be honest, I don't think it's going to work either...

Zombie Panic is a Source mod and nothing to do with Counter-Strike or zombie escape

I think thomson meant zombie mod where you hold off against zombies (napalm)

ChriizCC
25 Apr 2013, 04:24pm
Zombie Panic is a Source mod and nothing to do with Counter-Strike or zombie escape

I think thomson meant zombie mod where you hold off against zombies (napalm)

Lol, yeah. I didn't remember the name but I know that PlagueFest has that server and it was fun when it's full.

Spartan
25 Apr 2013, 06:37pm
I literally do not understand why people keep wanting new servers when they stop being played on. It's driving me insane.

The amount of servers that have had different gamemodes on and people are going crazy to play it when an event comes up, then nobody bothers to rejoin it because they see it empty. Event spam, event spam, event spam. It's just ridiculous. ZRiot is the perfect example where some people have tried to keep it alive with a fucking fixed schedule to populate it, and it's still half and half. Not many play it regularly, randies don't join it that much.

Why does this happen? It's pretty simple you know. People go to the servers that have people on all the time. They become a part of that server, get to know the people and find that they would want to play there again. For us, you pick it up like a new toy then throw it away when you get bored and go back to your old toys. People cling on to the last servers that fill up like a fly to shit. They ain't gona move.

We have too many servers, and too little a playerbase to fill them. MG, PB, ZE, TTT, ZRIOT, Surf, Deathrun, Scrim/reg, Cinema, SurfDM, Trikz. These servers do not even get themselves filled all the time because of various reasons, but the ones that have been self sustaining tend to be the ones that have a shit ton of effort in to make it unique. MG has been lacking a bit lately but Paul made that server the top MG server for a long time because he dedicated an unhealthy amount of time on it. ZE is falling down again, but it's up and down. The amount of time I spent on surf skill was unreal, and it has a good following consistently (sometimes the only server with people on early in the morning). Same for deathrun - MPQC's time, PB - Caution and others. When we make a new server, like I said, it's made and then falls down because there is nothing special. It is the same as the hundreds of other servers, there's no reason why it would work.

Some mods are for fun, I get that. A weekend of rally race, reg, whatever. They are fun but we need to start thinking about the possibility that CSS is becoming old, outdated, and frankly, people stopped caring to make new mods for it. A new server needs dedication to keep it popular. Think about it. Paul has made several of his own maps, these are pretty much unique to SG. MPQC fixed up a lot of maps for Deathrun making it unique for SG. Surf has like over 300 maps with a timer on - pretty much close to the next best server KSF. And so on.

Dirk
25 Apr 2013, 07:22pm
What Spartan said is right on target. The only time servers stay populated is when someone is actively keeping it going.

Caution
26 Apr 2013, 12:00am
I made a wall of text, chuckled, said "okay", and deleted it.

Play what's there then, I will not offer to build another server. Thanks all for the suggestions.