PDA

View Full Version : Expand our GMod player base.

Tweezy
20 Apr 2013, 05:03am
With a new server

Our GMOD Servers are very popular. TTT is ranked very high, and this Saturday Movie nights in the Cinema server are a great laugh. I think it is time to look at another avenue, a server that is very fun to play, highly addictive to keep the player base and also very lucrative with players always looking for a new server. What gamemode you say? Well.

BaseWars

BaseWars is a popular RP gaming mode where you get roughly five minutes to build a base. You can add weapons like turrets, props which are found in the "Q" menu (Can be edited to just specific props, which would be best.). Each props and/or weapons have health depending on their mass (Higher the mass, the greater the health). Each time you destroy the enemies teams prop, you gain half the cost price to your own balance (Once again, all these settings can be changed quite easily in the config files) however, the big cash rake ins are if you win the round.

I've played a few fortress type gamemodes, but all of them suffered from over complex menus, and just general complexity. BaseWars is actively updated and has worked around these issues very well.

With enough support, active mapping competitions and that general SG Spark we all have, I can see this server being ranked as one of the top with a very active playerbase. I for one will be very happy making some nice, unique maps for this server.

I'm not 100% sure how the current updates are going, but you can see Lex148 respositry here for the mod:
https://github.com/RGaming/Basewars

Thank you all for reading my suggestion and I hope it gets acted on! And, if it is I can lend a hand wherever needed!

Jaffa
20 Apr 2013, 06:02am
I believe Psyche is currently looking into ideas for a new gmod server, I would drop him a pm regarding this.

Tweezy
20 Apr 2013, 06:11am
I believe Psyche is currently looking into ideas for a new gmod server, I would drop him a pm regarding this.

Ahh okay, many thanks.

SilentGuns
21 Apr 2013, 02:33am

Though it is good to get a player discussion going on this topic of a new gmod server. I encourage you guys to discuss and add new ideas for a new gmod server , it is good to know what the community wants.

Kratos
21 Apr 2013, 06:25am
A really fun game mode I have played recently is Stronghold. Exrev showed me the server, and it pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmqADp0VN2Y

Golden Shower
21 Apr 2013, 07:33am
Why not ZS?

It's a popular gamemode, I always enjoyed it whenever I played.

Though here's a few suggestions:

Make the system used for guns and stuff based on damage to minimize the bitching about kill steals.
Supporters and up can choose what melee weapon and pistol they start with.
Try to include store
Try to get Logical Radio on there, or some music source.

For those who don't know anything about Zombie Survival, it's like ZE, except you sit still and fortify yourself, versus running the fuck away.

Josh1
21 Apr 2013, 08:40am
so its napalm / ZM .... :P?

Skyrocket
21 Apr 2013, 11:33am
Why not ZS?

It's a popular gamemode, I always enjoyed it whenever I played.

Though here's a few suggestions:

Make the system used for guns and stuff based on damage to minimize the bitching about kill steals.
Supporters and up can choose what melee weapon and pistol they start with.
Try to include store
Try to get Logical Radio on there, or some music source.

For those who don't know anything about Zombie Survival, it's like ZE, except you sit still and fortify yourself, versus running the fuck away.

so its napalm / ZM .... :P?

exactly
and considering our CS:S napalm server lasted about a week during halloween before crashing and burning, i wouldn't expect ZS to last much longer.
and besides, every time I played ZS on Gmod, it was always so extremely boring, just a matter of finding a place to sit and get someone to build barricades, and you automatically win.

(p.s: morbus or bust)

Frosty
21 Apr 2013, 11:38am
and considering our CS:S napalm server lasted about a week during halloween before crashing and burning

That's because it was a one week event

Skyrocket
21 Apr 2013, 11:49am
That's because it was a one week event

By the 5th day or so there were only like, 3-5 people playing it.

(p.s morbus is the best option)

Wertles
21 Apr 2013, 01:45pm

(p.s morbus is the best option)

We already have a TTT server.

I'd love to see a stronghold server, it's so much fun.

Nasu
21 Apr 2013, 02:02pm
Every server will probably start to stagnate after a while. If you just go with that mentality you can keep switching the mode every time the current one dies.

also stranded

Tsuna
21 Apr 2013, 02:17pm
Stronghold, it really is a fun game mode, the times I've played with ExRev, and others was a real good time. If you haven't played it yet, give it a try!

Unnamed Newbie
21 Apr 2013, 02:34pm
I'd love to have PERP back, but that'll probably be shot down since Dark RP kinda died before.

Chrixz
21 Apr 2013, 02:54pm
I'd love to have PERP back, but that'll probably be shot down since Dark RP kinda died before.
Perp never died. The server itself did, cause it wasnt being paid. But yeah i'd love to see it back.

Tweezy
21 Apr 2013, 03:23pm
To me, the only issue with PERP is that the server is expensive and that we didn't get enough donations on a monthly basis to pay for it.

Sleggie
21 Apr 2013, 04:23pm
A really fun game mode I have played recently is Stronghold. Exrev showed me the server, and it pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmqADp0VN2Y

I also made a video on stronghold, its a really fun mod!

Vid: Cant TOUCH THIS!- Sleggie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDxo3yzO_5Q)

Spr00k
21 Apr 2013, 05:23pm
I would like to see a Perp server

ShoieP
21 Apr 2013, 06:50pm
Stronghold looks to be a pretty interesting gamemode. It might just get me back into GMod. :toung:
I could settle for BaseWars too.

ExRev
21 Apr 2013, 10:31pm
Stronghold gets my vote. I love making the little kids rage quit their bases. :D

Hilner
21 Apr 2013, 11:09pm
To me, the only issue with PERP is that the server is expensive and that we didn't get enough donations on a monthly basis to pay for it.

Didnt we have like 300% of the current months donations though when we lost the server? I always thought the server was shut down because amit stopped paying for it and we didnt want to continue paying for it in the long run, might be misremembering here.

ScubaToaster
22 Apr 2013, 04:19am
Didnt we have like 300% of the current months donations though when we lost the server? I always thought the server was shut down because amit stopped paying for it and we didnt want to continue paying for it in the long run, might be misremembering here.

This.

I'm torn between the two but PERP requires a megaton more work to start and develop but it is certainly something SG has been shown to enjoy. Albeit in a manner which involves many angry forum posts about certain groups.

Game Freak
25 Apr 2013, 02:51pm
Tried Stronghold , couldnt grow weed meh.

Nah on a more serious note stronghold seems like a good mod for SG. Especially with the 'groups', we all know SG is divided in groups of friends and it should be fun raiding each other. Especially with admins. Issue on most servers is actually the cheaters speedhacking around when they get upset. I decided to join exrev today and i lost myself for a good 3 hours.

Tweezy
26 Apr 2013, 01:27pm
Would like to get an update from a higher up about this community suggestion! I think it will be good for us.

Trogdor
30 Apr 2013, 06:25pm
dude lets get a tf2 server.

Tweezy
1 May 2013, 01:28am
dude lets get a tf2 server.

That failed the first and second time lmao

PingPong
6 May 2013, 03:43pm
No because SG and RP does not mix, been tried before twice.

+ That

Tweezy
7 May 2013, 06:37am
No because SG and RP does not mix, been tried before twice.

+ That

It has been accepted, you can see the server here: It is doing very well! Full mostly every night.
STEAMGAMERS.COM | 24/7 STRONGHOLD [garrysmod] Garry's Mod (http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/74.91.116.99:27015/)

BoM
7 May 2013, 08:14am
Tried Stronghold , couldnt grow weed meh.

Nah on a more serious note stronghold seems like a good mod for SG. Especially with the 'groups', we all know SG is divided in groups of friends and it should be fun raiding each other. Especially with admins. Issue on most servers is actually the cheaters speedhacking around when they get upset. I decided to join exrev today and i lost myself for a good 3 hours.

lol sad truth. Make a server that splits the community. ~profit