PDA

View Full Version : SG TeamSpeak

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 03:54pm
We were talking about this in chatbox and most people agree that teamspeak is better than ventrilo. Also, unlike when we tried mumble, quite a few of us already have teamspeak installed. Features include better sound quality, easy file storage, built in chat boxes, priority speaker, channel commanders (can talk to other commanders across channels), the ability to adjust individual players' volumes, along with a number of management features. Audio codecs available on TS3 range from the lowest bandwidth audio you can imagine up to the superb Opus Stereo Opus Codec (http://www.opus-codec.org/) with 510kbs stereo sound.

RedM00N
4 Apr 2013, 04:00pm
I'm in full support for this. Gonna give me a reason to actually join it. Would absolutely love to join in on a chat without needing a mic, which I usually don't use.

Plus....custom avatars :D

Inb4 "we don't need to switch to another program tyvm"

Labarr
4 Apr 2013, 04:14pm
Ventrillo works fine. I dont see the need to switch.. Ya.. maybe it has more things to offer but they really are not necessary. Ventrilo has been used for a long time now, and switching for the reason stated don't seem worth it.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 04:18pm
Ventrillo works fine. I dont see the need to switch.. Ya.. maybe it has more things to offer but they really are not necessary. Ventrilo has been used for a long time now, and switching for the reason stated don't seem worth it.

If it is an upgrade, which it is, why not give it a try. Sure we don't need to switch but if people are willing to try, why not.

Paralyzed
4 Apr 2013, 04:39pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a SG Teamspeak server. I prefer using it myself, so yeah I'm in favor of this idea. Wouldn't mind having to moderate it either, if no one else wants to.

Pan32
4 Apr 2013, 04:42pm
I support this idea, teamspeak is way better than vent (in terms of permissions, security, reliability) and would actually make me join the voice server much much more often, as I only use ts3 on a regular basis

Kubo
4 Apr 2013, 04:57pm
most people agree that teamspeak is better than ventrilo lolwtf? ventrilo's quality is better then TS imo, I use TS on a daily basis and I hate the fuck out of it. Ventrilo has a PM system, so chat's fine there, and you have the option to disable it, don't think you do on TS? Not 100% sure, but when I'm in TS and someone starts using chat, it's really annoying with the overlay and/or beeping sound.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 05:02pm
lolwtf? ventrilo's quality is better then TS imo, I use TS on a daily basis and I hate the fuck out of it. Ventrilo has a PM system, so chat's fine there, and you have the option to disable it, don't think you do on TS? Not 100% sure, but when I'm in TS and someone starts using chat, it's really annoying with the overlay and/or beeping sound.

The voice quality has nothing to do with opinion. The Codecs are higher res. And PMs are not exactly group chat.

Labarr
4 Apr 2013, 05:07pm
The voice quality has nothing to do with your opinion. The Codecs are higher res. And PMs are not exactly group chat.

Honestly.. who cares about codecs -_- this is a gaming community. Most people who use ventrillo have headsets anyways, so they are not gonna be all that picky as to how clear the voice chat is..... Hell, I used TS (for soccer league) and I don't notice the difference at all.

I'm not saying I am 100% against the change.. but it just seems silly and not worth it

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 05:18pm
Honestly.. who cares about codecs -_- this is a gaming community. Most people who use ventrillo have headsets anyways, so they are not gonna be all that picky as to how clear the voice chat is..... Hell, I used TS (for soccer league) and I don't notice the difference at all.

I'm not saying I am 100% against the change.. but it just seems silly and not worth it

Its true that because the mic quality is almost always the bottleneck, the quality isnt that noticable but the difference is very noticeable if you are streaming music. ( although that doesnt come up that much) Still I think its ease of management, ease of use, and other features are more than enough reason to try it.

LaVaGoD
4 Apr 2013, 05:30pm
I liked TS when I used it. Vent is also fine and serves its purpose. Switching for switching sake probably is not a good enough reason in my opinion. If vent is working for us then probably no need to move to something else.

Skyrocket
4 Apr 2013, 05:34pm
i think this is 99% bitching about a bad headset/speaker setup for reasons to switch
Voice is perfectly fine on vent without downsides, when I play music on psyche's channel nobody complains about quality
No major reason to switch any way.

EDIT:

Why are we to fix something not broken?

reasons to switch are entirely opinionated, reasons not to switch are based on the work it would take to set everyone up and get the system running

Spartan
4 Apr 2013, 05:34pm

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 05:44pm
i think this is 99% bitching about a bad headset/speaker setup for reasons to switch
Voice is perfectly fine on vent without downsides, when I play music on psyche's channel nobody complains about quality
No major reason to switch any way.

EDIT:

reasons to switch are entirely opinionated, reasons not to switch are based on the work it would take to set everyone up and get the system running

Again sky, the sound quality is not opinion. Its fact. And this has nothing to do with headset quality. Not sure where you got that. On top of that, its extremely easy to manage and Para already generously offered to manage it.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 05:44pm

There isnt a reason we have to switch but since alot of people prefer it and already have it, why not try it out? Vent may not be broken but there are a number of features in TS3 that make it preferable.

RedM00N
4 Apr 2013, 05:53pm
Again sky, the sound quality is not opinion. Its fact. And this has nothing to do with headset quality. Not sure where you got that. On top of that, its extremely easy to manage and Para already generously offered to manage it.

I can undoubtedly hear the difference in quality, both on my good speaker setup and with my cheapest setup, reguardless of the users mic. Besides vent has this issue of voice cutting out midword, and starting mid-word. It did in 2007, it stlill does now. Never had the issue in TS. Tho that may be a user issue(talking too soon after pressing the talk key/nowing when to press the PTT, or better voice activtion detection. or maybe its just the program/codec itself)

Skyrocket
4 Apr 2013, 06:37pm

you say TS3 is better
kubo says vent is better
and i say superman 64 is a beautiful work of art that details the second coming of jesus christ
opinions

There isnt a reason we have to switch but since alot of people prefer it and already have it, why not try it out? Vent may not be broken but there are a number of features in TS3 that make it preferable.

you just said there is no reason to switch
so why the fuck should we switch
every reason for TS3 is either opinionated or based on features we don't really need

Labarr
4 Apr 2013, 06:42pm
every reason for TS3 is either opinionated or based on features we don't really need

What I was trying to say lol

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 06:52pm
you say TS3 is better
kubo says vent is better
and i say superman 64 is a beautiful work of art that details the second coming of jesus christ
opinions

you just said there is no reason to switch
so why the fuck should we switch

Sky, higher resolution audio is higher resolution. FACT. fact is not opinion. You have not used ts3, I have managed TS3 and vent servers and used both extensively. TS3 is better in ease of management, ease of use, features, and quality as most of the people who use it regularly agree. I am saying we should give it a chance. I cant figure out why you are so against it. In CB earlier, the people who have used TS3 were all either neutral or strongly in favor of TS3 over vent. But you are polarized against it without any experience with it.

EvilShadow98
4 Apr 2013, 06:54pm
Mumble > All.

Vinyl
4 Apr 2013, 07:22pm
there is a built in chat box for ventrilo.
(just if you haven't noticed it)
http://i.imgur.com/mLsbo7a.jpg

cop_caller
4 Apr 2013, 07:24pm
audiophiles and gimmicks

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 07:28pm
Thats just chat isnt it? TS3 has a constant running chat box for each channel and the server as a whole. You can still talk privately with people but you can also type to the whole channel or server.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2dtswhs.png

Vinyl
4 Apr 2013, 07:32pm
Thats just chat isnt it? TS3 has a constant running chat box for each channel and the server as a whole. You can still talk privately with people but you can also type to the whole channel or server.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2dtswhs.png

fuckin' wizard over here

RedM00N
4 Apr 2013, 07:34pm

Ive know about the CB, It uses a separate window, which i do not need more of, even with 3 monitors running. Plus the chat isnt constant. you have to click on chat to "enter", and only those people in the chat(which was at 0 on 4 rooms in our server when i checked) will see your messages(not sure if the rest get a notification or not. Just seems like too much work for the same effect, with reduced results.

Tbh its sad, ive used vent since 2007, and ts since 2012, yet i know far far more about ts, and am more inline with it :P.

Psyche
4 Apr 2013, 07:52pm
Also, unlike when we tried mumble, quite a few of us already have teamspeak installed.

'i already have it installed so it is obviously better'

Features include better sound quality

because i want the best voice quality for my online gaming voip server

easy file storage

i literally have no idea what the fuck this is

built in chat boxes

because we don't already have enough ways to fucking chat with each other. We have the forums in general, that stupid cometchat thing, steam chat, ventrilo private chat, ventrilo server wide chat, jesus christ do you really want ANOTHER chatbox for every fucking channel.

priority speaker

hooray for gimmicks

channel commanders (can talk to other commanders across channels)

or you can just fucking PM them, steam chat them, vent chat them, comet chat them. Holy shit why do we need all these fucking different chat windows

the ability to adjust individual players' volumes

you can already do that in vent

along with a number of management features

why do you care how easy it is for us to manage the server? But I agree after porting over all the ventrilo bans, resetting up everyone, remaking all the channels, i am sure those management features will be very useful.

Audio codecs available on TS3 range from the lowest bandwidth audio you can imagine up to the superb Opus Stereo Opus Codec (http://www.opus-codec.org/) with 510kbs stereo sound.

holy shit its a gaming voip server, why do you care so much about audio quality

Thats just chat isnt it? TS3 has a constant running chat box for each channel and the server as a whole.

holy fuck why would you want that, we already have a billion variations of chat

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 08:02pm
'i already have it installed so it is obviously better'

because i want the best voice quality for my online gaming voip server

i literally have no idea what the fuck this is

because we don't already have enough ways to fucking chat with each other. We have the forums in general, that stupid cometchat thing, steam chat, ventrilo private chat, ventrilo server wide chat, jesus christ do you really want ANOTHER chatbox for every fucking channel.

hooray for gimmicks

or you can just fucking PM them, steam chat them, vent chat them, comet chat them. Holy shit why do we need all these fucking different chat windows

you can already do that in vent

why do you care how easy it is for us to manage the server? But I agree after porting over all the ventrilo bans, resetting up everyone, remaking all the channels, i am sure those management features will be very useful.

holy shit its a gaming voip server, why do you care so much about audio quality

holy fuck why would you want that, we already have a billion variations of chat

Its not better because I have it installed, I am saying this is more likely to take off than the mumble server because many SG members already have it. TS3 has built in file storage (can be disabled or access limited) for easy uploading and hosting of files. As to the chat, even doing simple things like sending a video link to the people of the channel is much easier done this way. Is it a big deal? no, but as you can read in this thread, a few people expressed an interest in it. Everyone on this thread who has experience with both vent and TS3 prefer TS3. The only complaints against it seem to be "why should we bother". So then, why should we bother? Well, because a number of us feel that TS3 is preferable and Para has already volunteered his time to manage this. If you dont want to try it fiine but when it doesnt inconvenience you in the slightest how could you be so strongly against it?

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 08:03pm
audiophiles and gimmicks

yes, yes I am an audiophile, I listen to vinyl records, hand build tube amps, and own a reel to reel tape player. do you have a problem with that?

Psyche
4 Apr 2013, 08:17pm
Its not better because I have it installed, I am saying this is more likely to take off than the mumble server because many SG members already have it.

because installing mumble takes like what less than a minute to download and 2 minutes to set up.
the humanity

TS3 has built in file storage (can be disabled or access limited) for easy uploading and hosting of files.

why the fuck does anyone need or want that, anyone who already wants file storage either uploads it or uses a dropbox like client anyway, and not only that but that would just fucking clog the server with a bunch of useless shit people uplaod

As to the chat, even doing simple things like sending a video link to the people of the channel is much easier done this way.

put it in your comment? or is hitting right click and clicking copy comment and then pasting it into your browser just too many things to do to look at some dumb image url that your friend posted.

Is it a big deal? no, but as you can read in this thread, a few people expressed an interest in it. Everyone on this thread who has experience with both vent and TS3 prefer TS3. The only complaints against it seem to be "why should we bother"

yeah those people are right, its not like those fucking people have to actually deal with setting it up, yes lets make fucking paralyzed do it and when he's done we can test out our brand new teamspeak server that we didn't contribute to at all. great.

So then, why should we bother? Well, because a number of us feel that TS3 is preferable and Para has already volunteered his time to manage this.

listen, maybe if vent was so fucking garbage and was constantly breaking we would have a reason to switch. But there is absolutely no reason to switch right now, at all.

If you dont want to try it fiine but when it doesnt inconvenience you in the slightest how could you be so strongly against it?

because there is literally no point in switching, you just decide one day 'hey i know vent works perfectly and all, but i think we should switch to teamspeak so we can have more gimmicky bullshit features that are for the most part already included in vent but it takes more then one click to get to them so i don't like it.'

Wicked Pissah
4 Apr 2013, 08:19pm
I hate Vent; hence why I don't use it.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 08:33pm
because installing mumble takes like what less than a minute to download and 2 minutes to set up.
the humanity

why the fuck does anyone need or want that, anyone who already wants file storage either uploads it or uses a dropbox like client anyway, and not only that but that would just fucking clog the server with a bunch of useless shit people uplaod

put it in your comment? or is hitting right click and clicking copy comment and then pasting it into your browser just too many things to do to look at some dumb image url that your friend posted.

yeah those people are right, its not like those fucking people have to actually deal with setting it up, yes lets make fucking paralyzed do it and when he's done we can test out our brand new teamspeak server that we didn't contribute to at all. great.

listen, maybe if vent was so fucking garbage and was constantly breaking we would have a reason to switch. But there is absolutely no reason to switch right now, at all.

because there is literally no point in switching, you just decide one day 'hey i know vent works perfectly and all, but i think we should switch to teamspeak so we can have more gimmicky bullshit features that are for the most part already included in vent but it takes more then one click to get to them so i don't like it.'

People are far more likely to simply connect to the SG TS3 server using a program they already use than they are to go download mumble and install it. So yes it is more likely to work out. As to the file storage, like I said you can disable it or restrict access to it. If only admins cant upload I highly doubt it would fill up with junk. And no I didnt just wake up one day and decide we should switch to team speak, A number of people were discussing it in the chatbox and there was a fair bit of support and interest in this so after someone said someone should make a suggestion, I did. As I have said multiple times, teamspeak has a number of advantages over vent, you personally may not care but many of us do and we think its worth giving an upgrade a chance. Im not saying we should just drop vent, I am simply asking that we give TS3 a chance.

Caution
4 Apr 2013, 08:36pm
I have experience with both and I prefer Vent over anything. In fact if we got TS I probably would not use it. I'm an oldfag with vent and I've used it since I was like 11 or 12. I will never support a change because we don't need it. Vent works perfectly fine for what we need it for, and I certainly do not see TS as an upgrade at all. Also, exactly what Spartan said. I seriously doubt this will ever, ever happen.

Absolute 0 support from me.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 08:41pm
I have experience with both and I prefer Vent over anything. In fact if we got TS I probably would not use it. I'm an oldfag with vent and I've used it since I was like 11 or 12. I will never support a change because we don't need it. Vent works perfectly fine for what we need it for, and I certainly do not see TS as an upgrade at all. Also, exactly what Spartan said. I seriously doubt this will ever, ever happen.

Absolute 0 support from me.

Did you use TS3 or TS2 because 3 is a great inprovement over 2? I could definatley see people objecting to a switch to TS2

Skyrocket
4 Apr 2013, 08:52pm
i don't know why the fuck you keep pushing this point
it has no support from caution, spartan, psyche and evilshadow. (and i'm sure numerous other higherups) not to mention how many regs/SA's that object to this
odds are it's not going to happen, so continuing to try to say it's a good idea is just a pointless waste of your time

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 09:00pm
it has no support from caution, spartan, psyche and evilshadow. (and i'm sure numerous other higherups) not to mention how many regs/SA's that object to this
odds are it's not going to happen, so continuing to try to say it's a good idea is just a pointless waste of your time

sky, why are YOU posting here. you are on a crusade against something you have never used. I am simply explaining a suggestion I made and you, who have no knowledge of the matter, are dead set against it. Care to explain what you hate about TS3?

Psyche
4 Apr 2013, 09:07pm
People are far more likely to simply connect to the SG TS3 server using a program they already use than they are to go download mumble and install it.

okay what about the people who have mumble installed and not teamspeak, more people are likely to use that instead of teamspeak 3. its a fucking double sided argument, same as if they didnt have either installed they are more likely to not give a shit about either. Just because a few people have it installed does not increase the likelihood of people joining, in fact it probably doesn't increase the likelihood at all because installing either program takes SECONDS, and only a HUGE fucking idiot would be like 'well i have teamspeak 3 installed and not mumble so mumble is obviously out of the question.

As to the file storage, like I said you can disable it or restrict access to it. If only admins cant upload I highly doubt it would fill up with junk.

there is NO POINT to this feature whatsoever, anyone who wants to use has file storage has much better alternatives than teamspeak. In fact you can quote me on this, anyone who relies on file storage from teamspeak is a fucking idiot.

And no I didnt just wake up one day and decide we should switch to team speak, A number of people were discussing it in the chatbox and there was a fair bit of support and interest in this so after someone said someone should make a suggestion, I did.
it is a waste of time, and a waste of effort. in fact i am going to play a game with you, its called pick the response. You can choose the nice, honest, and the 'not thinking about what i say' response.

Nice Response
There are much more pressing issues to deal with than trying to switch everyone over to teamspeak.

Honest Response
95% sure all those people on fucking chatbox know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how much effort it takes to switch people over. It means porting over all the bans, remaking all the permissions for people and setting everyone up again, getting all the admins to figure out how to use teamspeak management system, everyone relearning how to use teamspeak. All for something that people might not even use and then die a week later, just like mumble did.

'Not thinking about what I am saying' Response
All those people in chatbox are selfish motherfuckers, including yourself. Yeah to you and everyone else its like "alright we got teamspeak," but to the higher ups that actually had to set up the fucking thing it was more like "wow what a bunch of shit we didn't even have to do in the first place." For you guys you are getting a nice shiny version of vent with a bunch of gimmicky bullshit, and we are given the absolute pleasure of setting it up, relearning how to use it, and try to get everyone to switch. To top it all off, for something that is ENTIRELY UNNEEDED.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 09:40pm
okay what about the people who have mumble installed and not teamspeak, more people are likely to use that instead of teamspeak 3. its a fucking double sided argument, same as if they didnt have either installed they are more likely to not give a shit about either. Just because a few people have it installed does not increase the likelihood of people joining, in fact it probably doesn't increase the likelihood at all because installing either program takes SECONDS, and only a HUGE fucking idiot would be like 'well i have teamspeak 3 installed and not mumble so mumble is obviously out of the question.

there is NO POINT to this feature whatsoever, anyone who wants to use has file storage has much better alternatives than teamspeak. In fact you can quote me on this, anyone who relies on file storage from teamspeak is a fucking idiot.

it is a waste of time, and a waste of effort. in fact i am going to play a game with you, its called pick the response. You can choose the nice, honest, and the 'not thinking about what i say' response.

Nice Response
There are much more pressing issues to deal with than trying to switch everyone over to teamspeak.

Honest Response
95% sure all those people on fucking chatbox know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about how much effort it takes to switch people over. It means porting over all the bans, remaking all the permissions for people and setting everyone up again, getting all the admins to figure out how to use teamspeak management system, everyone relearning how to use teamspeak. All for something that people might not even use and then die a week later, just like mumble did.

'Not thinking about what I am saying' Response
All those people in chatbox are selfish motherfuckers, including yourself. Yeah to you and everyone else its like "alright we got teamspeak," but to the higher ups that actually had to set up the fucking thing it was more like "wow what a bunch of shit we didn't even have to do in the first place." For you guys you are getting a nice shiny version of vent with a bunch of gimmicky bullshit, and we are given the absolute pleasure of setting it up, relearning how to use it, and try to get everyone to switch. To top it all off, for something that is ENTIRELY UNNEEDED.

I appreciate that you wouldnt want to do this but I would hardly call making a suggestion in a thread setup specifically for suggestions "selfish". A few of us thought this would be a good idea so we suggested it. Obviously it would take alot of effort and if you dont want to thats fine. I thought this could be a good addition to the community, clearly you disagree.

Caution
4 Apr 2013, 09:43pm
If you haven't actually used TS3 and you're just going to post rude and insulting posts then just don't post. I don't like TS3 at all, but Skyrocket you've stepped over the line numerous times with how you talk to other people and rage at them for absolutely no reason.

Dirk
4 Apr 2013, 09:47pm
Well any way it would appear not enough people support this. I would be happy to help if someone decides to set up a server in the future but in the mean time, thanks for the consideration.

Skyrocket
4 Apr 2013, 09:54pm
If you haven't actually used TS3 and you're just going to post rude and insulting posts then just don't post. I don't like TS3 at all, but Skyrocket you've stepped over the line numerous times with how you talk to other people and rage at them for absolutely no reason.

Fair enough, I may have gone overboard, but to be honest this thread devolved into repeating original statements and insults before I even said that. although i do feel rather singled out, not being able to say anything because i'm not AO or SA

FlaMEs
4 Apr 2013, 10:03pm
I've used both vent and teamspeak, and I would support teamspeak. It just seems better overall in terms of features, simplicity, and sound quality. Then again, I grew up on it.

Mr.Jesus
5 Apr 2013, 02:34am
Mumble is superior to ventrillo in every way as you can see in this (http://www.leetspeak.com.au/mumblevtsvvent.php) link. However when we had a mumble server it didn't even last a week because people (the people that couldn't understand how to use the mumble wizard) wouldn't stop using vent. The same thing would happen if we got a teamspeak 3 server unless ventrillo was shutdown so people would be forced to use it.

Teamspeak 3 would also be nice because of A.C.R.E (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=11339) for ARMA 3

Frosty
5 Apr 2013, 03:48am
I prefer teamspeak but I really don't think we need a change

i persnaly think we shud use skype thuo

it has no support from caution, spartan, psyche and evilshadow. (and i'm sure numerous other higherups)

I wouldn't mind seeing a SG Teamspeak server. I prefer using it myself, so yeah I'm in favor of this idea. Wouldn't mind having to moderate it either, if no one else wants to.

Spartan
5 Apr 2013, 06:04am
Why not MSN?

Dirk
5 Apr 2013, 07:15am
Why not MSN?

whats wrong with just texting each other

Crazy Swede
5 Apr 2013, 08:20am
Guys seriously. TS3 have only satisfied me at ONE occasion. When we do phone-calls over air. As it keeps the quality at the highest possible point. Other wise. I have spoken to many of you guys at SG over mic. And you are FAR AWAY from the upper treshold of quality! I would be surprised if any of you have paid more than 90$ for you mic's. Even less if it's a separate mic and not just a headset.

So drop that sound quality subject. Because there is no chance at all that barely any of you guys have the equipment to even bottleneck on the current ventrilo-limit lol

Those are my 2 cents about the quality part.

XeNo
5 Apr 2013, 08:37am
Because clearly if the community gets a new community voice chat program, they are going to just appoint one manager of it rather than having the current ranking system we have for Ventrilo.

I agree with Caution on every single one of his posts in this thread.

Dirk
5 Apr 2013, 08:46am
Guys seriously. TS3 have only satisfied me at ONE occasion. When we do phone-calls over air. As it keeps the quality at the highest possible point. Other wise. I have spoken to many of you guys at SG over mic. And you are FAR AWAY from the upper treshold of quality! I would be surprised if any of you have paid more than 90$ for you mic's. Even less if it's a separate mic and not just a headset.

So drop that sound quality subject. Because there is no chance at all that barely any of you guys have the equipment to even bottleneck on the current ventrilo-limit lol

Those are my 2 cents about the quality part.

I may be pickier than most because I like to stream my vinyl collection over vent/ts3.

Vy
5 Apr 2013, 09:01am
I found it a bit more simple to use. So why not?

Dirk
5 Apr 2013, 09:18am
Because clearly if the community gets a new community voice chat program, they are going to just appoint one manager of it rather than having the current ranking system we have for Ventrilo.

I agree with Caution on every single one of his posts in this thread.

I do believe Paralyzed is saying that he would handle the management if no one else wants to, not that he should be the only one allowed to manage it. As I have seen in this thread there seem to be alot of people who don't want to have to manage a new server which is why he kindly volunteered to bear the burden if you will.

Caution
5 Apr 2013, 11:52am
There's nothing to "manage" lol.

Dirk
5 Apr 2013, 12:00pm
There's nothing to "manage" lol.

the server has to be installed and updated and all that jazz right?

Caution
5 Apr 2013, 12:12pm
the server has to be installed and updated and all that jazz right?

Nothing that an AO has access to. Literally the only thing an AO would be doing is setting people up, and that's not really "managing".

Dirk
5 Apr 2013, 12:15pm
Nothing that an AO has access to. Literally the only thing an AO would be doing is setting people up, and that's not really "managing".

Oh... makes sense

Paralyzed
5 Apr 2013, 05:12pm
Okay, I was being a big dumb and used the wrong words. As for the actual topic, I think it's pretty much rejected from here. The idea itself doesn't receive enough support from the higher ups, and people don't seem to feel that a change would be necessary.

Spartan
5 Apr 2013, 06:48pm
Ok let me just be serious.

Ventrilo has been used for years by SG, it has become second nature to some to just join it, even if they don't actively use it all the time. No amount of upgrades are going to make them change unless forced.

I am not going to force anyone to change.

Vent serves its purpose just as TS does, just as Mumble does, just as any public voice server would. The sample of people that use and support TS are obviously going to say "I'd actually join if we did this", but then you have as many saying "I'd actually stop joining if we did this." It's not hard to understand really. No change is necessary, and those that don't use vent can stay not using vent. Their loss if they don't to play with the cool kids.

Dirk
5 Apr 2013, 06:58pm
Ok let me just be serious.

Ventrilo has been used for years by SG, it has become second nature to some to just join it, even if they don't actively use it all the time. No amount of upgrades are going to make them change unless forced.

I am not going to force anyone to change.

Vent serves its purpose just as TS does, just as Mumble does, just as any public voice server would. The sample of people that use and support TS are obviously going to say "I'd actually join if we did this", but then you have as many saying "I'd actually stop joining if we did this." It's not hard to understand really. No change is necessary, and those that don't use vent can stay not using vent. Their loss if they don't to play with the cool kids.

Thanks for the serious response and thanks for the consideration.

Caution
7 Apr 2013, 06:10pm
moved to rejected as it's not practical