PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Arts: Challenge everything (Except for us)

Skyrocket
13 Mar 2013, 01:12pm
As I'm sure all of you know of the disastrous (Putting it gently) launch of SimCity 5, I thought I'd bring up a thread to talk about the multitudes of ways EA has royally fucked it's developers over.

Dragon Age II

I, myself have never played DA2. But what I do know about it is, it was rushed out of the gate with a very strict deadline, and Bioware didn't have as much creative freedom as they really should have.

Origin

Limiting their PC sales to require their clunky & ugly origin service is a detractor to the overall profit, seeing as 80% of PC gamers that use a service to access their games use Steam, and fucking hate origin. Also, the sales that give games 50-50-75% off most likely drastically increases profit, seeing as someone who might not normally buy the game might change their mind since it's so cheap.

Dead Space 3

I recently started playing the Dead Space franchise, currently on one, but from what I've heard and seen, DS3 has become a action game, rather than a horror game. (maybe 10-20% horror)
Problems being, you can't actually have a horror game with co-op, as you might already know.
But that doesn't even come close to the problems with Microtransactions. In a $60 game. As if they weren't ripping their players off already.

SimCity 5

And now we're at, what I consider, the worst thing EA has done.
Here's the process of what happened with SimCity:

1: People buy the game
2: Servers are overloaded, nobody can access the game without major latency or constant disconnections. EA says "All of the major computations are done on EA's cloud, and without the always-online aspect of the game, it just wouldn't work"
3: A day goes by, still no servers, people start asking for refunds, and most get blown off (One was threatened to be banned if he kept asking)
4: Amazon removes SimCity from sale, stating how the game /DOES NOT WORK/ (Also receives 1000+ 1-star reviews)
5: A day slowly moves into 5 days, servers are still down, EA previously announced that they would cut off some of the non-essential online aspects of the game
6: Eventually the servers start working, people still pissed off at EA.

And more recently, yesterday, Rock Paper Shotgun posted this article:
Maxis Insider Tells RPS: SimCity Servers Not Necessary | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/12/simcity-server-not-necessary/)

“The servers are not handling any of the computation done to simulate the city you are playing. They are still acting as servers, doing some amount of computation to route messages of various types between both players and cities. As well, they’re doing cloud storage of save games, interfacing with Origin, and all of that. But for the game itself? No, they’re not doing anything. I have no idea why they’re claiming otherwise. It’s possible that Bradshaw misunderstood or was misinformed, but otherwise I’m clueless.”

So, what do you think of EA? If you have anything that EA has done to fuck games over that I haven't listed, post 'em here.

Frosty
13 Mar 2013, 01:14pm
the butt hurt is strong with this one

But yeah, EA have done some shit in the past few years...

regarding microtransanctions, yeah it can be dumb, but no one is forcing you to buy it and the Origin argument is so dumb, Steam does exactly the same and I couldn't give a shit where I bought my games from as long as I can play them

Mudkip™
13 Mar 2013, 01:45pm
Origin

Limiting their PC sales to require their clunky & ugly origin service is a detractor to the overall profit, seeing as 80% of PC gamers that use a service to access their games use Steam, and fucking hate origin. Also, the sales that give games 50-50-75% off most likely drastically increases profit, seeing as someone who might not normally buy the game might change their mind since it's so cheap.

I like Origin, personally. I don't see why so many people are so butt-hurt about it. I get at least triple the download speed on origin as I do on steam, games launch faster, and popular games go on sale weekly. I don't see what the problem with origin is to be honest.

Skyrocket
13 Mar 2013, 01:59pm
regarding microtransanctions, yeah it can be dumb, but no one is forcing you to buy it and the Origin argument is so dumb, Steam does exactly the same and I couldn't give a shit where I bought my games from as long as I can play them

I'm bitching about Origin from a corporate standpoint, there's a large amount of people who don't want to use Origin at all, and refuse to buy origin exclusives. It's also less apparent with Valve since they're mainly a developer and not so much a publisher (unless you count indie publishing)

Metal
13 Mar 2013, 03:46pm
I only will ever support EA due to DICE and how much they care about their games.
Only reason

vorter
13 Mar 2013, 05:25pm
I like Origin, personally. I don't see why so many people are so butt-hurt about it. I get at least triple the download speed on origin as I do on steam, games launch faster, and popular games go on sale weekly. I don't see what the problem with origin is to be honest.

2nd that. Origin does feel much smoother than Steam.
To me both are about the same though.

Im a Jackass
13 Mar 2013, 05:47pm
Here's the process of what happened with SimCity:

1: People buy the game
2: Servers are overloaded, nobody can access the game without major latency or constant disconnections. EA says "All of the major computations are done on EA's cloud, and without the always-online aspect of the game, it just wouldn't work"
3: A day goes by, still no servers, people start asking for refunds, and most get blown off (One was threatened to be banned if he kept asking)
4: Amazon removes SimCity from sale, stating how the game /DOES NOT WORK/ (Also receives 1000+ 1-star reviews)
5: A day slowly moves into 5 days, servers are still down, EA previously announced that they would cut off some of the non-essential online aspects of the game
6: Eventually the servers start working, people still pissed off at EA.

And more recently, yesterday, Rock Paper Shotgun posted this article:
Maxis Insider Tells RPS: SimCity Servers Not Necessary | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/12/simcity-server-not-necessary/)

So, what do you think of EA? If you have anything that EA has done to fuck games over that I haven't listed, post 'em here.

I have sim city the new one and I dont have any problems what so ever with it. The only problem I had was with the CD key and EA helped me with that easy. Truly dont see why there is so much hate on Origin I would pick steam any day but Origin is not that bad. I think every one is such a valve fanboy that any thing that goes against it people are going to hate. Iv never had any problems with EA I love there games and I dont see why so many people hate them. Iv only had problems with support once. other than that I enjoy there games a ton.

RedM00N
13 Mar 2013, 06:06pm
Steam has just as many, if not as big, issues as all the other major platforms(origin/uplay). However steam has been around since 2003, and even longer if you cont Won, so it has plenty of experience in the field maintaining its service.
That is, untill TF2 gets a major update and destroys the entire network, lol.

I only use Steam because I just dont like the fact of having multiple programs installed to play a game. Plus, I already have 3 overlays (steam, OC-OSD/rtss, and fraps) to worry about, I dont need any more :P
All but 1 of my platform reliant games are on steam, the other loner being AC3 on Uplay, and the rest being standalone/older gen games. Dont own any games that use origin, aside from the c3 mp demo so I cant say anything good nor bad about origin.

In terms of download speeds, just change your location. I did, to sweden, and got max speeds, wheras on most US based servers, id get fluxuating speeds that never went at my full speed.

Skyrocket
13 Mar 2013, 06:38pm
I think every one is such a valve fanboy that any thing that goes against it people are going to hate. Iv never had any problems with EA I love there games and I dont see why so many people hate them. Iv only had problems with support once. other than that I enjoy there games a ton.

Except EA doesn't develop, they only publish.
I'm sure SimCity is a great game, as is any game they publish, but they do things in the games (Microtransactions, non-necessary always-online DRM with bullshit explanations, restricting the creative freedom of the developers) that make me think any single one of EA's developers would be better in the hands of other publishers.

Im a Jackass
13 Mar 2013, 07:27pm
I'm sure SimCity is a great game, as is any game they publish, but they do things in the games (Microtransactions, non-necessary always-online DRM with bullshit explanations, restricting the creative freedom of the developers) that make me think any single one of EA's developers would be better in the hands of other publishers.

EA is not the only company that puts out crappy DLCs and such. Again its a think that almost every company does because they cant compete with the other companys

Lux
13 Mar 2013, 08:48pm
Not particularly a fan of Origin for a fairly lame reason.

But that aside, it's good competition for Steam. That always has to be a good thing. I don't see the problem with Origin, I used it for BF3 and it downloaded quickly and worked fine.

In regards to Sim City...... it was only 5 days. It's frustrating when you're eager to play the game, but it's only 5 days.

Not true.

Skyrocket
13 Mar 2013, 09:14pm
Not particularly a fan of Origin for a fairly lame reason.

But that aside, it's good competition for Steam. That always has to be a good thing. I don't see the problem with Origin, I used it for BF3 and it downloaded quickly and worked fine.

In regards to Sim City...... it was only 5 days. It's frustrating when you're eager to play the game, but it's only 5 days.

Not true.

Point 1:
Yes, it was 5 days, but on the other hand, the always online DRM isn't necessary for ANY of the simulation used in the game, which is the excuse that they gave us. So they're lying just to get away with a bad practice.

Point 2: Unless you count EA sports, they hardly do development anymore. Almost all of their development is done by companies that they either created (Visceral) or purchased (DICE, BioWare, Maxis)

Im a Jackass
13 Mar 2013, 10:40pm
Why do you hate EA so much? Really seems your trying to prove to every one how bad they are lol.

Skyrocket
13 Mar 2013, 11:28pm
Why do you hate EA so much? Really seems your trying to prove to every one how bad they are lol.

Because they CONSTANTLY take IPs that are fucking awesome, and find some way to ruin them.
I don't have a problem with Devs. Maxis makes some of the best simulation games there is, Visceral makes fucking amazing horror games, and BioWare made 3 of my favorite RPGs of all time. But it seems like EA is constantly trying to find a way to kill off their developers.

harro
14 Mar 2013, 05:55am
I sort of half-agree with this. EA has had it's way of cheesing different IP's to create games without much depth.

Take for instance The Old Republic series being turned into a shitty MMO and they're doing the same with Neverwinter apparently.

They do publish some gems however I feel it's the company's pressure on their developers being reasons for crappy launches and bad games and it's even more distasteful when they try to blame games being not good due to "gamer fatigue". Transformers 3 did not suck due to "movie watching fatigue". It sucked because it was a horrible fucking movie.

WriteX
14 Mar 2013, 06:16am
If you installed Origin, you agreed to this.

2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA’s Privacy Policy located at EA Games - Electronic Arts (http://www.ea.com). To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA’s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

Metal
14 Mar 2013, 06:41am
If you installed Origin, you agreed to this.

im ok with that.

WriteX
14 Mar 2013, 07:33am
im ok with that.

I'm also okay with that, seeing as I have no other option if I want to play BF3. :p
I still think that it is unnecessary and honestly quite stupid how EA has made it so that Origin scans your files, hardware profiles and program data to see if there are any other EA games on your PC, as well as a few other things, though.

Metal
14 Mar 2013, 07:50am
I'm also okay with that, seeing as I have no other option if I want to play BF3. :p
I still think that it is unnecessary and honestly quite stupid how EA has made it so that Origin scans your files, hardware profiles and program data to see if there are any other EA games on your PC, as well as a few other things, though.

Facebook does it also.
Google too

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/no-surprise-ea-lied-debug-mode-in-simcity-has-almost-unlimited-offline-play

Im a Jackass
14 Mar 2013, 11:12am
Transformers 3 did not suck due to "movie watching fatigue". It sucked because it was a horrible fucking movie.

But they all suck?

Frostbyte
14 Mar 2013, 11:31am
did people forget that Diablo 3 was unplayable due to the servers upon release too?

Skyrocket
14 Mar 2013, 11:58am
did people forget that Diablo 3 was unplayable due to the servers upon release too?

i was actually able to download and play D3 when it launched (didn't realize it) but i didn't start playing until like, 1 1/2 wks after, so i avoided ERROR 32

But no, people did not forget about the always online aspect of D3 either.

And if someone doesn't quite understand, I hate EA so much because I want to see more games by their developing companies. I want to see a DS4, a BF4, the new Mass Effect, hell, another SimCity, so on so forth. I just don't want them to be published by a moneywhore company that will only do things to limit what the games are possible of.

XeNo
14 Mar 2013, 12:30pm
Take for instance The Old Republic series being turned into a shitty MMO and they're doing the same with Neverwinter apparently.
I'm not sure if you've played the MMO, but the in-game story lines for each class are ridiculously detailed and in-depth. It's honestly the only MMO I have ever played that made me want to pay attention to the story line. Choosing to play lightside or darkside typically changes the entire flow of the storyline and has you pursuing an alternate objective.

Not only can you choose to play Lightside or Darkside, every single class has a different story line, FOR BOTH. Even more so, you can create relationships with your companions. Every companion has their own back story/storyline and you learn about it as you progress through your own story line. Show me any decently made MMO in existence that allows you to change the way main story line progresses or is experienced with your choices. You can't, because it didn't exist until Bioware made it so.

Bioware did an amazing job and people give them shit for some of the stupidest reasons I have ever seen for hating a game.

harro
14 Mar 2013, 02:28pm
I'm not sure if you've played the MMO, but the in-game story lines for each class are ridiculously detailed and in-depth. It's honestly the only MMO I have ever played that made me want to pay attention to the story line. Choosing to play lightside or darkside typically changes the entire flow of the storyline and has you pursuing an alternate objective.

Not only can you choose to play Lightside or Darkside, every single class has a different story line, FOR BOTH. Even more so, you can create relationships with your companions. Every companion has their own back story/storyline and you learn about it as you progress through your own story line. Show me any decently made MMO in existence that allows you to change the way main story line progresses or is experienced with your choices. You can't, because it didn't exist until Bioware made it so.

Bioware did an amazing job and people give them shit for some of the stupidest reasons I have ever seen for hating a game.

Key term is "Shitty MMO", the story line only pertains to your own "single player" experience and doesn't actually have any effect in terms of the multiplayer portion. The storyline and companions are done well, no one is arguing against that, but really, if Bioware expects people to pay a $50 startup fee and a monthly fee afterwards (although I understand that it's free now), people clearly expect more than just a single player experience.

Yes there's PvP and raids, but honestly it lacks depth/complexity compared to any other same tier MMO out there. The developers even said themselves "We don’t intend or we don’t expect people to be on Vent and communicating with each other" when it comes to clearing endgame content, which is, IMO, ridiculous when the game was super hyped for so long.

Skyrocket
14 Mar 2013, 02:49pm
Key term is "Shitty MMO", the story line only pertains to your own "single player" experience and doesn't actually have any effect in terms of the multiplayer portion. The storyline and companions are done well, no one is arguing against that, but really, if Bioware expects people to pay a $50 startup fee and a monthly fee afterwards (although I understand that it's free now), people clearly expect more than just a single player experience.

Yes there's PvP and raids, but honestly it lacks depth/complexity compared to any other same tier MMO out there. The developers even said themselves "We don’t intend or we don’t expect people to be on Vent and communicating with each other" when it comes to clearing endgame content, which is, IMO, ridiculous when the game was super hyped for so long.

They should have just made a KOTOR III :(

Frosty
14 Mar 2013, 02:59pm
They should have just made a KOTOR III :(

and it should have been made by Obsidian :P

Skyrocket
14 Mar 2013, 03:17pm
and it should have been made by Obsidian :P

never actually played KOTOR II, although I heard a 50/50 bioware/obsidian preference. Though, judging by what I know of Obsidian, I'm sure they did/would do a great job

And I'm not exactly sure whether Bioware wanted a MMO for this KOTOR or not, if not, that'd be another thing EA fucked up on

Frosty
14 Mar 2013, 03:20pm
never actually played KOTOR II, although I heard a 50/50 bioware/obsidian preference. Though, judging by what I know of Obsidian, I'm sure they did/would do a great job

And I'm not exactly sure whether Bioware wanted a MMO for this KOTOR or not, if not, that'd be another thing EA fucked up on

Lets be honest, KOTOR3 probably wouldn't have made a huge amount of money, an MMO was a good way for them to make money, although I heard they failed because they made it free to play, but an MMO would have made them more money in the long run.

Regarding KOTOR2, many feel the game was unfinished (which is was to be honest) but I and many others felt it had a greater story than the first, there is the Restoration mod that makes it tonnes better :d

Gman1255
10 Apr 2013, 05:59pm
Maybe Shutting down servers way too early, if it were up to me, I would have had servers up until the xbox 720 AND ps4 are out.