PDA

View Full Version : Sleggie's General Game Issues

Sleggie
3 Mar 2013, 04:05pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
General Game Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
avast! Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
ASUS What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
--- Please state your problem here
Well, it all began when JB was full, and I really wanted to play JB, so I remembered I can just go in console and join that way since I have Supporter: connect 66.150.121.69:27015. So I was joining... Sending client info... AND TADA! I'm on my desktop! So I go ask people about the problem and they tell me to not use the port number, and it worked! But there was another problem, when we changed map, my game crashed, again. Later on, the server had less people, so I joined using the server menu and after sending client info, I crashed. In the end, this problem only happens when I use "connect 66.150.121.69:27015, or any other IP for steamgamers servers. I did the same to ZE and I regret it. Now I cant play JB or ZE. I tried going on reg, it works fine and even ZR with the custom content and it still works fine. Its really caused by joining through console. So if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

MouseCake
3 Mar 2013, 04:08pm
Did you try googling the problem?

Vinyl
3 Mar 2013, 04:11pm

Great input.

though I'm not the most knowledgeable about stuff like this, i would just say re-install css and see if that works

Sleggie
3 Mar 2013, 04:13pm
It never happened before... Why would it happen now? My game just didn't bug by itself.

Oh and google just brings up stupidity... Not a big help in this case.

Tweezy
3 Mar 2013, 04:26pm

Basically saying
"Doctor, Doctor I have a rash on my stomach, help!"
Doctors reply: "Go home and google it"

Useful responses please.

Go to your cstrike folder, delete the bin folder and then verify the integrity of your game cache and also validate files, that will redownload them all for you. (Or whatever the validation options are, just do them all haha)

Skyrocket
3 Mar 2013, 04:27pm
Do these things in this order, and check after each step. If it's fixed, you're good

Verify game cache
Defrag game cache
Reinstall CS:S
Defrag HDD
Reinstall steam + CS:S

That's all I can think of atm.

Sleggie
3 Mar 2013, 05:47pm
Thanks a lot skyrocket and tweezy! I can now join the server but, when I minimize my game and then brig it back up, it crashes!

Tweezy
4 Mar 2013, 07:48am
Thanks a lot skyrocket and tweezy! I can now join the server but, when I minimize my game and then brig it back up, it crashes!

This is actually a common issue. How are you minimising? Alt Tab or Windows key?

Shadowex3
5 Mar 2013, 12:40pm

You can all the way to this subforum just to threadcrap? Don't do it again or you'll find yourself unwelcome posting in the Tech Support Bucket.

Do these things in this order, and check after each step. If it's fixed, you're good

Verify game cache
Defrag game cache
Reinstall CS:S
Defrag HDD
Reinstall steam + CS:S

That's all I can think of atm.

Just for future reference the only thing defragging does is rearrange data so things that go together are easier for the HDD to read together quickly. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and operating systems were far less stable, that could make a respectable performance difference if you'd been doing a lot of HDD work but nowadays it's got about as much use as rubbing two bars of soap together.

Verifying the cache and reinstalling stuff on the other hand... Steam is a touchy SOB, sometimes you need to use the voodoo solutions to make things work again.

Skyrocket
5 Mar 2013, 02:20pm
Just for future reference the only thing defragging does is rearrange data so things that go together are easier for the HDD to read together quickly. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and operating systems were far less stable, that could make a respectable performance difference if you'd been doing a lot of HDD work but nowadays it's got about as much use as rubbing two bars of soap together.

Verifying the cache and reinstalling stuff on the other hand... Steam is a touchy SOB, sometimes you need to use the voodoo solutions to make things work again.

I just named off everything I could think of that would help fix it, defragging generally is fast and /could have/ fixed it

Also, if you're still having problems with minimizing, do you have any custom content on CS:S? I don't see how it'd effect the game, but it could cause problems. (somehow, i really have never heard of custom content causing crashes, but there's a first time for everything)

Sleggie
5 Mar 2013, 03:06pm
I just named off everything I could think of that would help fix it, defragging generally is fast and /could have/ fixed it

Also, if you're still having problems with minimizing, do you have any custom content on CS:S? I don't see how it'd effect the game, but it could cause problems. (somehow, i really have never heard of custom content causing crashes, but there's a first time for everything)

Well... I deleted all my skins... Everything else is just things that download from servers and a couple of textures/skyboxes for maps.

Shadowex3
8 Mar 2013, 05:53pm
Alt-tabbing is just a bad idea, the game simply isn't built for it.