PDA

View Full Version : Tweezy's Video Issues

Tweezy
28 Feb 2013, 01:19pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Video Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Yep Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Avast Free Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Made by me What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
N/A Please state your problem here
I am having real issue with my FPS in mostly any games I run. I can be playing BF3 at a constant 50FPS, which is obviously a good rate. Then randomly after about thirty minutes of game time my fps drops by half. It never used to do this when I had my old card so no idea why it does now. (5750). When playing CSS with my old card I would always stay over 100FPS even on 64 player slots ZE servers. Now I won't go over 30... I really have no idea what is causing this. I am using a fresh OS install, all drivers are up to date... I've just finished a unigine heaven benchmark so i will show you my score (It'll be shit compared to other images I have seen...)

I would be expecting to hit 80/90FPS at least once, I don't get close:
DirectX9:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldv15wdz9r1hoib/directX9.png
DirectX11
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0fsltcmnbhsoia/directX11.png

See, not what I should be getting. Sigh...

Computer Specs:

AMD FX8120 @3.1GHz
8GB DDR3 @1600
HD6950
850W Pro-Series XFX PSU

Shadowex3
1 Mar 2013, 05:05pm
are you sure you're in PCIE x16 mode and not x1 mode, are you overheating, and that PSU is offbrand so while it has XFX's name it's probably OEMed by someone else.

Tweezy
2 Mar 2013, 04:30am
are you sure you're in PCIE x16 mode and not x1 mode, are you overheating, and that PSU is offbrand so while it has XFX's name it's probably OEMed by someone else.

Used CPU-Z to double check it is in correct slot, which it is. Overheating no, I've checked temperatures and they all at a good level. Air flow is fucking mint as well. This is my PSU: XFX 850W XXX Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Single EasyRail Power Supply - P1-850X-XXB9 - Scan.co.uk (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-xfx-xxx-p1-850x-xxb9-hybrid-modular-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v)

Could it be to do with my RAM? I had a bad overclocking about a month ago, computer wouldn't start so I needed to swap out the ram for it to boot, using same ram atm.

Tweezy
3 Mar 2013, 01:23pm
Bump.

Shadowex3
5 Mar 2013, 12:30pm
if it was bad hardware i'd expect the problem to be there from the beginning, only kicking in partway just seems wierd. Also I didn't mean that your card was in the right slot, I meant that the slot was set to x16 mode instead of working in x1 mode for some oddball reason.

I'd try some benchmarking software like rthdribl, prime95 and so on to see if you can replicate the problem out of game. Keep an eye on the task manager, see if you get any sudden spikes in ram or CPU usage.

Also does your computer make any different noises when performance goes down? If it starts sounding like it's really grinding or thrashing, the sort of noise you get when loading something huge, then it could be a memory issue causing you to start using swap instead of ram.

Tweezy
9 Mar 2013, 01:21pm
if it was bad hardware i'd expect the problem to be there from the beginning, only kicking in partway just seems wierd. Also I didn't mean that your card was in the right slot, I meant that the slot was set to x16 mode instead of working in x1 mode for some oddball reason.

I'd try some benchmarking software like rthdribl, prime95 and so on to see if you can replicate the problem out of game. Keep an eye on the task manager, see if you get any sudden spikes in ram or CPU usage.

Also does your computer make any different noises when performance goes down? If it starts sounding like it's really grinding or thrashing, the sort of noise you get when loading something huge, then it could be a memory issue causing you to start using swap instead of ram.

The only times the noises change on my computer are fan speeds increasing when playing games. Also, it was a lot worse yesterday. I was playing BF3 for around 10/15 mins I was at a stable 50 FPS. And then randomly it stopped to just getting to 30. I know it is a hardware issue, I've reinstalled my OS and even used my different hard drive for the primary OS and I still have the issues. My benchmarks have been a lot lower then what they should be, I can't even really play Direct X9 games because of how bad performance is. I may end up going back to me 5750, it performed better!

Tweezy
13 Mar 2013, 05:33am
Decided to reset it in its slot. Still using same slot and everything seems to be a little better. Will keep this updated for another week and then go from there.

Mr. Moop
21 Mar 2013, 03:17pm
That would have been my first recommendation.
I would also have blown it out with canned air.
I was also thinking about a lack of thermal paste on the cpu; i'd check task manager if the issue replicates itself before checking/adding thermal paste.

Tweezy
26 Mar 2013, 06:50am
Yeah my computer died. Getting a new motherboard for it.

Dirk
27 Mar 2013, 02:53am
What was it? Chipset going bad? Motherboards can overheat too to its possible that was causing it.

Tweezy
27 Mar 2013, 05:05am
What was it? Chipset going bad? Motherboards can overheat too to its possible that was causing it.

To be honest I wasn't too sure. I went through every check I knew and it just pointed to the motherboard. Going for something very very high ranking this time:
ASUS AM3+ SABERTOOTH 990FX S/L: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-SABERTOOTH-990FX-ASUS-AM3/dp/B0053GR2HA)

Staying away from MSI for a while I reckon.