PDA

View Full Version : Bob Loblaw's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

Bob Loblaw
20 Feb 2013, 05:39pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
Actually it's Windows 8, but it's mostly the same as Windows 7 for troubleshooting. Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Yes Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Right now I have mcaffee, probably going to uninstall it and just install AVG free with malwarebytes or something. Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Lenovo What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Wireless card (intel centrino wireless-N 2230) Please state your problem here
I recently got my brand new laptop, but it's having serious connection issues.

Sometime's it happens more often than others, but without fail, it will at some point completely lag out.

One time it completely disconnected me, and wouldn't let me reconnect for a while.

Usually (earlier today it was happening like 3-4 times every 10-15 minutes) it would spike to 12-13k ping, the highest I saw was 18k ping.

And this happens regularly (usually not every few minutes, but at least once or more per hour).

Any ideas? Could it be mcaffee firewall, and when I uninstall it it will fix it? I just haven't uninstalled it yet. But yeah, it happened out of the box, so I assumed I needed driver updates, but that hasn't helped at all (I did download up to date drivers for my wireless card).

Any other suggestions/ideas? Should I uninstasll mcaffee and see if it helps? I'm hesitant to uninstall it incase I have to just send my laptop back in a few days.

I know it's my wireless because while this laptop was spiking to 18k, my other laptop beside this one was fine, and my ping is perfect if I'm wired in.

Tweezy
20 Feb 2013, 06:08pm
Have you tried a wired connection just to rule certain things out?

Bob Loblaw
20 Feb 2013, 08:14pm
Yeah right at the end of my post I added that I know it's the wireless card because my other wireless laptop works fine, as does a wired connection.

Tweezy
21 Feb 2013, 01:52pm
Yeah right at the end of my post I added that I know it's the wireless card because my other wireless laptop works fine, as does a wired connection.

Oh yes sorry, I was reading your post at 2am, well attempting too. Can I have the exact model version of your lappy Bob?

Danthrax
21 Feb 2013, 04:54pm
What laptop model is it? I generally purchase new wifi cards made by Intel for any laptop I buy. Amazon.com: Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail: Computers & Accessories (http://www.amazon.com/Intel-6235AN-HMWWB-Centrino-Advanced-N-Bluetooth/dp/B007QXLIWI) before you do that you can check for an updated driver for it though. I think some of the recent Atheros cards got an update not that long ago that fixed a lot of issues.

Bob Loblaw
21 Feb 2013, 06:07pm
The laptop is Lenovo Y500.

I read somewhere you need a "Lenovo authorized" card or the bios won't accept it.

Daze
22 Feb 2013, 09:50am
Have you checked for a driver update from Lenovo for the wireless card?

If it's a brand new laptop you must have some kind of warranty. Give them a call and scream loudly, they'll soon help.

Tweezy
23 Feb 2013, 08:00am
I suppose the only thing you can do is check for driver updates, I've had some massive issues with my laptop and wireless drivers, once I manged to find the right one (Acer, using Lenovo wireless driver...) everything worked just perfectly.

Shadowex3
24 Feb 2013, 05:42am
Just throwing out there that McAfee or Norton anything is an abysmal POS that's so bad it's pretty much malware by itself.