PDA

View Full Version : Quake Style Deathmatch Server...

Pet Rock
15 Feb 2013, 09:23pm
I think this might be a fun idea...
Quake Style Maps on a deathmatch server
Low Gravity/No Fall damage
No Buy zones but weapon spawns (like finding the weapons across the map in Quake)
Maybe a bit of increased run speed

(I am learning on making a dedicated server so maybe I could even host it)

Just an idea I had :P

Could not find any custom maps that would work for this... so I decided to make a really really fast 1 and will post video of what the gameplay "should" look like in a bit

Pyro
16 Feb 2013, 01:12am
I actually like the sound of that. Ive never seen one in css before so i think it would be an original. If this were to happen we could hold a map competition for all the mappers to make their own map(s) for the server so we could have some type of rotation. Maybe even ask them to add SG decals around the map.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII from hickville.

Pet Rock
16 Feb 2013, 01:22am
I actually like the sound of that. Ive never seen one in css before so i think it would be an original. If this were to happen we could hold a map competition for all the mappers to make their own map(s) for the server so we could have some type of rotation. Maybe even ask them to add SG decals around the map.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII from hickville.

is what i thought... found no maps at all for this type of thing just reg dm with buyzones and what not...mapping thing would be epic

Dirk
16 Feb 2013, 01:25am
I would be onboard with this.

Pet Rock
16 Feb 2013, 01:30am
maybe have respawning power ups like armor and health... temp regen health or health boost
and of course the sounds :)

Pan32
16 Feb 2013, 02:20am
seems like a good idea, would def be an original and we could make some sick maps, but can't stop thinking that it is a lot of efford to put on a gamemode that you don't know if the cstrike population will like...

SexualHarassmentPanda
16 Feb 2013, 05:28am
All of this is possible, I could do a proof-of-concept later. We could probably first try adjusting dust2 rather than entirely new maps to test the water.

Banana Joe
16 Feb 2013, 06:33am
There's that map which was used a lot for WCS, was called something dm_hangemhigh I believe, it would fit great into this idea imo, if anyone remembers it.

WoLF
16 Feb 2013, 06:39am
I remember that there was a mg quake map somewhere. This will take a lot of enfort

HZK
16 Feb 2013, 06:44am
There's that map which was used a lot for WCS, was called something dm_hangemhigh I believe, it would fit great into this idea imo, if anyone remembers it.

I'm pretty sure it's zh_hangemhigh

Pet Rock
16 Feb 2013, 07:30am
Sinse pyro said earlier about the mapping competition or w/e I came up with a few requirements.
20+ CT and T spawns either in An Uncampable Team spawn area or all across the map
Well placed constrained weapon spawns
Enough room for low gravity jumping
Big Enough for 12+ people
not a fully "open map"... have obstacles/buildings or something to block vision to other side of map or something
speed modifier of 1.5(50% increase speed)(make sure it hits all the spawns) no higher
optional: healing power ups that disappear and reappear after like a minute, any other power up from quake you think ya can pull off
optional: steamgamers logos or tags
optional : fair secrets

may come up with more

would appreciate anyone that makes a quick one for testing purposes

RoverBot3
16 Feb 2013, 09:51am
This is an awesome idea and if I were a girl i would touch your butt and play the map at the same time

ShoieP
16 Feb 2013, 09:52am
'Bout to test this out with Pet Rock. Albeit he has a very bad upload rate and downloading the map required is incredibly slow.

MPQC
16 Feb 2013, 10:02am
Sinse pyro said earlier about the mapping competition or w/e I came up with a few requirements.
20+ CT and T spawns either in An Uncampable Team spawn area or all across the map
Well placed constrained weapon spawns
Enough room for low gravity jumping
Big Enough for 12+ people
not a fully "open map"... have obstacles/buildings or something to block vision to other side of map or something
speed modifier of 1.5(50% increase speed)(make sure it hits all the spawns) no higher
optional: healing power ups that disappear and reappear after like a minute, any other power up from quake you think ya can pull off
optional: steamgamers logos or tags
optional : fair secrets

If you're going quake style you might as well go full out. Weapon + ammo supplies on ground - meaning weapons spawn with low ammo. No "spawn areas" - spawn anywhere in the map randomly (unless it's a CTF-esque, but you're not going there AFAIK). Armor drops on floor - ie +10 armor. Weapon damage multiplier (plugin?). Health spawns at distinct locations across the map (ie +10hp...One massive one that does +100).

Pet Rock
16 Feb 2013, 10:20am
If you're going quake style you might as well go full out. Weapon + ammo supplies on ground - meaning weapons spawn with low ammo. No "spawn areas" - spawn anywhere in the map randomly (unless it's a CTF-esque, but you're not going there AFAIK). Armor drops on floor - ie +10 armor. Weapon damage multiplier (plugin?). Health spawns at distinct locations across the map (ie +10hp...One massive one that does +100).

is what i mean by the power ups.. and yeah the weapon spawns for the test map are already low ammo... i would prefer the maps to be all across the map but the team spawn area is a mapper option...

But yeah so far the testers are having lots of fun... even though the server is laggy lol xD

ShoieP
16 Feb 2013, 10:39am
After about 20 minutes of testing, this is a pretty fun concept. Pet Rock's internet rates aren't that great. 300 Ping isn't that fun to play with. Pushing aside the issues of extreme lag, I would like to see how this would go about in the future. :notbad:

dysfunctional
16 Feb 2013, 02:13pm
Slow Download :/ Need my FastDL server?

Pet Rock
16 Feb 2013, 02:23pm
Slow Download :/ Need my FastDL server?
Yes

Also need 2-3 Complete Maps for further testing and what not

Proffesor Caybara
17 Feb 2013, 02:41pm
Great idea I would definetly play it. Where will the Power ups be?

Lupin
17 Feb 2013, 02:49pm

The halo looking map? where there's like 2 teleporters across the map?

Pet Rock
17 Feb 2013, 02:53pm
Great idea I would definetly play it. Where will the Power ups be?

Um the powerups will depend on the map maker

Also we HAVE OUR FIRST MAP thx to HZK

ChriizCC
17 Feb 2013, 08:03pm
Looks nice, would love to try this out! :nuts:

Octa
17 Feb 2013, 08:13pm
(I am learning on making a dedicated server so maybe I could even host it)\

Last I heard, we frown upon this as an official SG server.

I like the idea though :D

Pet Rock
17 Feb 2013, 08:15pm
Last I heard, we frown upon this as an official SG server.

I like the idea though :D

lol i meant for SG xD

Nishok
17 Feb 2013, 08:18pm
lol i meant for SG xD

He meant the same. We do not accept servers from other people (because it brings too much trouble), only donations ^^

Pet Rock
17 Feb 2013, 08:23pm
He meant the same. We do not accept servers from other people (because it brings too much trouble), only donations ^^

i would at least like some part of it if this idea goes through... other then just suggesting or making maps lol

by that i mean helping maintain it or something... having a say in what maps get put on

Nishok
17 Feb 2013, 08:27pm
i would at least like some part of it if this idea goes through... other then just suggesting or making maps lol

by that i mean helping maintain it or something... having a say in what maps get put on

You mean suggesting? :P
Everyone gets to suggest. Not a single person decides anything, it is the whole community that decides.

and maintaining it, sorry, but such a server isn't hard to maintain, it is like a regular CSS server. Just put in the variables (runspeed, gravity, and some other tweaks) and let it run. And add/remove maps occasionally. This will be handled by the AO+.

Pet Rock
17 Feb 2013, 08:30pm
You mean suggesting? :P
Everyone gets to suggest. Not a single person decides anything, it is the whole community that decides.

and maintaining it, sorry, but such a server isn't hard to maintain, it is like a regular CSS server. Just put in the variables (runspeed, gravity, and some other tweaks) and let it run. And add/remove maps occasionally. This will be handled by the AO+.

could my map requirements at least stay... because i thought long about those and without em i dont think the maps would work

Nishok
17 Feb 2013, 08:32pm
could my map requirements at least stay... because i thought long about those and without em i dont think the maps would work

If it is going to be a "Quake" server, then it would be stupid not to run "Quake" maps, don't you think? :P

Pet Rock
17 Feb 2013, 08:34pm
If it is going to be a "Quake" server, then it would be stupid not to run "Quake" maps, don't you think? :P

lol :p well quake style because i doubt a lot of the map makers will try to make a map straight from the game

Lupin
17 Feb 2013, 10:34pm
lol :p well quake style because i doubt a lot of the map makers will try to make a map straight from the game

You mean like these?
CSSBANANA: Awp Space-quake (Counter-Strike: Source > Maps > Sniper War) (http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/84164)
FilePlanet: Counter-Strike: Source - Quake DM3 Map (http://www.fileplanet.com/157433/150000/fileinfo/Counter-Strike:-Source---Quake-DM3-Map)

Pet Rock
17 Feb 2013, 10:56pm
You mean like these?
CSSBANANA: Awp Space-quake (Counter-Strike: Source > Maps > Sniper War) (http://css.gamebanana.com/maps/84164)
FilePlanet: Counter-Strike: Source - Quake DM3 Map (http://www.fileplanet.com/157433/150000/fileinfo/Counter-Strike:-Source---Quake-DM3-Map)

No not at all like those... 1 that first map isnt from quake.. just has quake in its name lol and is way 2 damn small... 2 2nd has no screenshot and am 2 lazy 2 download

Lupin
17 Feb 2013, 11:06pm
But anyways doubt people will stick to this game type for long. The more popular servers we have, ZE,DR,MG,PB,and TTT. They're minigame like servers where it's not played the way CSS was meant. Servers like reg and surf's player base go up for an hour or so and then die for a week.

Pet Rock
18 Feb 2013, 07:46pm
But anyways doubt people will stick to this game type for long. The more popular servers we have, ZE,DR,MG,PB,and TTT. They're minigame like servers where it's not played the way CSS was meant. Servers like reg and surf's player base go up for an hour or so and then die for a week.

I donno lupin I think I could keep the population up... i has a bunch of friends i can constantly invite lol... plus its a server with no wait time... can just go back to playing after dieing... instead of waiting till round end

Pet Rock
4 Mar 2013, 01:22am
anyone have any maps at all so we can try this out?

Sniper
12 Mar 2013, 10:21am
Bit late to the party but whatever. This sounds like a great idea and I'd love to try it out.

Devastator4455
12 Mar 2013, 02:17pm
This would bring a load of attention to sg :D
and it sounds sick
But make sure to use Quake skins and textures for the extra awesome ness :D

Pet Rock
12 Mar 2013, 02:20pm
This would bring a load of attention to sg :D
and it sounds sick
But make sure to use Quake skins and textures for the extra awesome ness :D

Still have only 1 map lol :( cant really test it around

WoLF
13 Mar 2013, 07:59am
Hey i Have Been busy with my map and
Studyng, il post yours when i finish mine

Paralyzed
26 Mar 2013, 08:09pm
At this time there are no plans on hosting a Quake Style Deathmatch server. We aren't entirely sure whether this is gonna work for CSS either, the idea and all sounds promising but given the fact that there aren't really any maps laying around for this 'idea', I don't think it's going to work at this time.

Feel free to develop the idea further though, get more maps and perhaps this suggestion gets a better chance of succeeding somewhere in the future.