PDA

View Full Version : PC Crash

Mercy
13 Feb 2013, 05:20pm
So my PC crashed 3 times in the past 2 days all the same way while playing a game, my screen freezes and my keyboard, mouse and headphones lose connection(I think the PC shuts off as well but the lights stay on so I'm not sure). When I turn it back on it makes a weak fan spinning sound and then it's normal until I play a game for a while and it crashes the same way again.

Here is picture of the monitor when it crashes.\
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/aneglofmercy/pc1_zps20c65768.jpg

Labarr
13 Feb 2013, 06:29pm
Graphics card seems to be dead/dying

Mercy
13 Feb 2013, 08:27pm
Yeah that's what I thought as well but wasn't sure. When my old graphics card started to fail, my monitor wouldn't even display anything which is why I was confused for this case.

Also could it be that one of the fans is failing and it's getting over heated or something? Or it's most likely that it really an issue with a graphics card?

Sniper
13 Feb 2013, 08:33pm
When's the last time you blew the dust out of your computer?

Labarr
13 Feb 2013, 09:14pm
Yeah that's what I thought as well but wasn't sure. When my old graphics card started to fail, my monitor wouldn't even display anything which is why I was confused for this case.

Also could it be that one of the fans is failing and it's getting over heated or something? Or it's most likely that it really an issue with a graphics card?

A) How old is the graphics card
B) I Doubt its a heat issue..but take the case off of the computer.. turn the computer on.. and look/listen... Also make sure you clean the dust out with compressed air (while computer off)
C)What graphics card?

Mercy
14 Feb 2013, 12:24pm
I actually cleaned my computer a month before the first crash and I cleaned it again after the first crash, anyway I have the ati 5870 and I believe I got it around May of 2010

Tweezy
14 Feb 2013, 02:01pm
I actually cleaned my computer a month before the first crash and I cleaned it again after the first crash, anyway I have the ati 5870 and I believe I got it around May of 2010

Hmm, the way the screen crashes does point towards the graphics card. If it was an overheating issue or power supply issue the computer would just switch off without warning. The way the screen goes points to artifacting, just I have never seen it like that. Do you have any other graphic cards you could test? Maybe a friends or another one in another computer?

Danthrax
14 Feb 2013, 04:59pm
Go back to older drivers if you updated them heard some people complaining about them at work recently.

Mercy
14 Feb 2013, 05:12pm
Don't have any myself but one of my friends might, also you might be right about the drivers, I just recently updated them so that might be the problem. I'll try to downgrade and see how that goes.

Mercy
14 Feb 2013, 05:33pm
I just had a different kind of a crash, my screen froze in dota with the regular game image, keyboard headphones and mouse lost connection but the pc was still on.

edit - I updated to the 13.2 beta and I'll see if it still happens, wasn't sure how to downgrade so just did this <.<

Shadowex3
17 Feb 2013, 05:54pm
Any other games, does Atitool's test function report any errors, does Rthdribl crash your computer, and are you sure that's a fan noise and not some other kind of high pitched squeel? Could be a bad capacitor or something if it's not actually a fan.

Also what kind of power supply have you got? Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or do you have an off-brand chinacrap PSU?

Mercy
24 Feb 2013, 08:27pm
it was a driver issue my computer hasn't crashed since I updated it, several of my friends had a problem with that driver too.