PDA

View Full Version : Another mapping competition!

Wertles
28 Jan 2013, 02:29pm
Last mapping competition brought out some really good maps for servers (and some really bad ones lol).

I really liked voting too, I also think it'd be cool if we had some more maps on our servers made by the people of SG.

HZK
28 Jan 2013, 02:36pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrWchX5rAU

Pan32
28 Jan 2013, 02:46pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrWchX5rAU

Finally found from where did Silent's avatar came from

Sniper
28 Jan 2013, 02:46pm
Sure why not. Went well last time.

Frosty
28 Jan 2013, 03:17pm

You mean.. you didn't know already?
/cutwrists

Yes, it would be cool to have another mapping competition!

omarfire00
28 Jan 2013, 03:40pm

I thought the same thing when I saw it, lol

Anyways, yes I agree we should have a competition getting everyone together working hard to win!

BlackEagle
28 Jan 2013, 05:09pm
I liked the idea behind the competition but if I remember correctly the voting process was a little messed up. Not sure if I am remembering the right event or not.

Vick
28 Jan 2013, 05:37pm
Sounds Fun! :amuse:
We should do it!

Bread
28 Jan 2013, 05:45pm
I liked the idea behind the competition but if I remember correctly the voting process was a little messed up. Not sure if I am remembering the right event or not.

As long as voting would be restricted to mems/regs+ it would be fine. Last time a bunch of randoms joined the forums just to vote on that one lego ze map, but it didn't end up winning anyways.

Kippe
28 Jan 2013, 11:24pm
TBH the voting should have been seperated for MG and ZE. I don't think it was fair to have to choose between the two.

WoLF
28 Jan 2013, 11:29pm
We should definitely do another one. It Will be fun to participate in it

Pan32
29 Jan 2013, 12:25am
You mean.. you didn't know already?
/cutwrists

Def kwen it was Agent Smith, just couldnt recall from which part he would make such face.

Anyway, I support this idea, as it could mean another go from me on hammer

Crazy Swede
29 Jan 2013, 07:13am
Sure, I am all in for a mapping competition. But can we please include other servers as well this time? Such as PB and TTT.

MPQC
29 Jan 2013, 09:31am
Deathrun. :^_^:

Neptune
29 Jan 2013, 10:23am
There is a billion maps for deathrun, I mean pb only has 3 maps we all know the names too.

HZK
29 Jan 2013, 10:23am
Sure, I am all in for a mapping competition. But can we please include other servers as well this time? Such as PB and TTT.

It should include less servers

Wertles
29 Jan 2013, 01:08pm

Deathrun. :^_^:

Most definitely!

Spartan
29 Jan 2013, 04:18pm
Sure, although you guys realize the prize last time was a fair bit of money, so I'm gona have to contemplate this again.

This time, I'd rather do all popular servers: MG, ZE, PB, DR, Surf, TTT. I don't think we should include surf dm, trikz or zriot just yet. However instead of competing the maps from across different servers, the maps are split up into different categories with each server having a separate winner. Since some servers take longer to make maps for, I can set different deadlines for each one. The voting can be done in 2 ways. One is a democratic vote with everyone getting to vote. Problem is people are gona vote who never played the map, or never got to play the map. People will play favourites or get told to simply vote for them. The alternative is to simply have a judging panel who review the maps one by one and rank them. Scores can be tallied and averaged.

Pet Rock
29 Jan 2013, 04:25pm
TTT_Luigis_Mansion... I got this lol xD!

Wertles
29 Jan 2013, 08:06pm
Sure, although you guys realize the prize last time was a fair bit of money, so I'm gona have to contemplate this again.

This time, I'd rather do all popular servers: MG, ZE, PB, DR, Surf, TTT. I don't think we should include surf dm, trikz or zriot just yet. However instead of competing the maps from across different servers, the maps are split up into different categories with each server having a separate winner. Since some servers take longer to make maps for, I can set different deadlines for each one. The voting can be done in 2 ways. One is a democratic vote with everyone getting to vote. Problem is people are gona vote who never played the map, or never got to play the map. People will play favourites or get told to simply vote for them. The alternative is to simply have a judging panel who review the maps one by one and rank them. Scores can be tallied and averaged.

Hmm.... I like the way of EVERYONE getting the chance to vote, instead of selecting judges to rank them, because then the entire community doesn't get a chance in it.

That being said, I also realize that some randies will join the forums to only vote for the map because they were told to by their friends. If I remember before, we had a limit where you had to be Mem or above, MAYBE we could change this to having a certain amount of hours played on the map?

Now that that has been said, I personally think the map should be automatically selected to play (if it's even possible) for an hour during the time at which the server is most populated, this way, everyone will play it.

And yeah money lol.

Maybe third place can be like 100k credits

I do like the separate deadlines idea.

Kippe
29 Jan 2013, 08:43pm
Better get working on my surf map then :x

Skyrocket
29 Jan 2013, 11:11pm
Better get working on my surf map then :x

nope, gotta make a map specifically for the contest, don't be one of "those guys" that enters a map they've been working on for 3 months

Bullet Wound
30 Jan 2013, 04:57am
Hmm.... I like the way of EVERYONE getting the chance to vote, instead of selecting judges to rank them, because then the entire community doesn't get a chance in it.

That being said, I also realize that some randies will join the forums to only vote for the map because they were told to by their friends. If I remember before, we had a limit where you had to be Mem or above, MAYBE we could change this to having a certain amount of hours played on the map?

Now that that has been said, I personally think the map should be automatically selected to play (if it's even possible) for an hour during the time at which the server is most populated, this way, everyone will play it.

And yeah money lol.

Maybe third place can be like 100k credits

I do like the separate deadlines idea.

I really think a panel of judges is the best way to ensure the maps get judged as fairly as possible. Maybe have a public poll as a part of the judgment, but for sure pre-selected judges should have the final say.

Paralyzed
30 Jan 2013, 07:13am
100k credits for a third place is a bit extreme, don't you think?

Nasu
30 Jan 2013, 07:43am

Yeah we don't want to flood the free trade market with virtual points

Wertles
30 Jan 2013, 02:08pm

Forgot that you could buy credits with actual money.

Maybe 50k?

To add even more fun, there should be an exclusive hat to people that entered.

Repus
31 Jan 2013, 06:19am
Mayby I should try make another pb map, I have had idea for it since I made my latest one years ago, never started making it.

DaFruity
31 Jan 2013, 06:49am
You should make sure a lot of mappers know that there will be a mapping competition.

Collect some internet-pages to make some adverts. Of course with permission of the owners.

Examples: Gamebanana or other forum where these mods get played.

omarfire00
31 Jan 2013, 04:16pm
Maybe we could make the amount of winners depending on the amount of people entering. For example, if 30 people enter, its would be a little that 3 only win, so like maybe have 5 winners instead of 3?

Also I would recommend having a voting panel to make it fair to all.

mapper
1 Feb 2013, 06:21am
Maybe we could make the amount of winners depending on the amount of people entering. For example, if 30 people enter, its would be a little that 3 only win, so like maybe have 5 winners instead of 3?

There were mapping contests in the past wich was promoted on other websites, and we had not even 15 mappers, of wich maybe 5 completed their map. It's not really popular

And if I recall correctly, the prizes were huge

Spartan
9 Feb 2013, 03:17pm
Perhaps the time limit was too short, but I did extend it a fair bit from what I originally planned. I could make it longer this time around which gives people a lot more time but it's slap bang in the middle of school for most kids and none will have the time. This is really something better organised nearer to summer.

Paralyzed
25 Feb 2013, 05:22am
With that being said I'll move this to accepted, you'll most likely hear about this competition later on (nearer to summer, like Spartan said).