PDA

View Full Version : peaches's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

peaches
14 Jan 2013, 03:09pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Avast Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
HP What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
WRT54GS v7.2 Please state your problem here
Lately I've been having the literal worst internet connection I have ever experienced, and I do not know why. So i decided to do a speed test, and came out with these amazing results (Sarcasm) and I do not know any way of how to fix it.

I've tried resetting it and updating the firmware, and nothing is working

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2436549570.png

Labarr
14 Jan 2013, 03:52pm
When you mean 'reset' it.. does that mean you did the power cycle reset? What I mean is:
hold down reset button for 30seconds
after the 30seconds, continue to hold down the reset button and unplug the power. hold for 30seconds more
After the power is unplugged continue to hold the reset button for 30 more seconnds
(In total, you will be holding the reset button for 90seconds straight.)

If you did not do that, then try that.

If you did do a reset like that.. and you still get crap speeds. Let me know how old the router is.
What kind of internet is COX? cable?fiber?dsl?
Try connecting your computer/laptop DIRECTLY into the modem. See if that fixes it.

Let me know how this goes.

peaches
15 Jan 2013, 03:20pm
Hello, I use COX
I've done a router bypass, and I got crazy amounts of speed like I normally should, but the problem with that is I cannot keep it in that stage because other people in my house use internet, could it be all the connections we have on the internet?
-Smart TV
-3 ipods
-2 tablets
-3 laptops
-ps3

I've not tried the power cycle reset you explained yet, because I wanted to ask you if I have to hold the reset on router or modem?

I've also found that when I have my ps3 on connected to the internet, that is when i'm unable to use the internet on my laptop because it runs very slow. Should I just get a modem and Ethernet cord for the ps3 directly?

Bullet Wound
15 Jan 2013, 04:10pm
Yeah, it's possible one or more of the other devices using the internet is sucking up all the bandwidth, causing yours to run slower. Every once in a while my internet does the same, when someone else in my house decides to stream tv shows via our internet connection.

Labarr
15 Jan 2013, 07:25pm
Hello, I use COX
I've done a router bypass, and I got crazy amounts of speed like I normally should, but the problem with that is I cannot keep it in that stage because other people in my house use internet, could it be all the connections we have on the internet?
-Smart TV
-3 ipods
-2 tablets
-3 laptops
-ps3

I've not tried the power cycle reset you explained yet, because I wanted to ask you if I have to hold the reset on router or modem?

I've also found that when I have my ps3 on connected to the internet, that is when i'm unable to use the internet on my laptop because it runs very slow. Should I just get a modem and Ethernet cord for the ps3 directly?

That is alot of stuff going on..and since you said the router bypass gave you normal speeds... It might just be not enough bandwidth.

I said power cycle the router because you said this is recent. But like bullet or I said, It most likely is just to much going on, not enough bandwidth

peaches
15 Jan 2013, 09:54pm
That is alot of stuff going on..and since you said the router bypass gave you normal speeds... It might just be not enough bandwidth.

I said power cycle the router because you said this is recent. But like bullet or I said, It most likely is just to much going on, not enough bandwidth

oh okay, well I'll make sure not to have it all connected at once if it doesn't need to, but I did the power cycle thing you said, and that pretty much fixed it, and I am at normal speed (with everything connected too)
thank you very much! :)