PDA

View Full Version : Nishok's Video Issues

Nishok
28 Nov 2011, 04:57pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Video Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
AMD Catalyst 11.11 Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Eset smart security Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Me What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Radeon HD 6850 Please state your problem here
First I had a Radeon HD 4870, I got an average of 15FPS in every source game (which used to be +80fps months ago.. no idea what dropped it like that..), so I thought my graphics card was broken, so I bought a new one which is a Radeon HD 6850, all drivers updated and I still get 15 FPS ingame.. while this card is WAY much better than my previous one..

Anyone has any idea why my FPS is so low? What program could be doing this? Any way to find out/fix it?

As drivers for this GPU I use Catalyst 11.11, which automatically installs the correct drivers for my GPU.

Thanks.

Edit:

EvenJosh gets 60FPS with a Geforce 9500 GT (which is a damn low card), while I get 15fps, obviously something wrong..

I'm also running windows 7 64bit

Nishok
28 Nov 2011, 05:03pm
For screenshots of my FPS, look here: Steam Community :: [SG] Nishok :: Screenshots (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nishok/screenshots/)
the 3 screenshots include my FPS's in Gmod. (Look at the top right)

Jazzyy
28 Nov 2011, 05:26pm
Are you sure your GPU is even being used? It's possible your gpu is being defaulted to an onboard chipset, hence why the FPS didn't change.

Nishok
28 Nov 2011, 05:33pm
Are you sure your GPU is even being used? It's possible your gpu is being defaulted to an onboard chipset, hence why the FPS didn't change.

Every game gets set to the highest setting since that's recommended for my GPU, it says. So I do think my GPU is being used prior to my onboard, or else I wouldn't be recommended the best :/

Zeke
28 Nov 2011, 05:44pm
If it's gmod I can understand the shit performance.

Nishok
28 Nov 2011, 05:53pm
If it's gmod I can understand the shit performance.

I get around 20FPS in Skyrim too.

I'm going to test with a new Power supply tomorrow, one which is a bit stronger. If that doesn't work, then I guess it's my MoBo being corrupt :(

Harry
28 Nov 2011, 06:15pm
Source Engine doesn't use that much of your GPU. Check your CPU for problems.

Nishok
28 Nov 2011, 07:16pm
I replaced my PSU and it didn't improve. Tomorrow I'm going to replace my CPU to test. If that doesn't work then I'll have to replace my MoBo, I hope not because I might need to reinstall windows again because not every MoBo uses the same drivers...

Tweezy
29 Nov 2011, 01:00am
I replaced my PSU and it didn't improve. Tomorrow I'm going to replace my CPU to test. If that doesn't work then I'll have to replace my MoBo, I hope not because I might need to reinstall windows again because not every MoBo uses the same drivers...

By the looks of the graphics in-game I can tell your using the gcard (Low and High graphics show a big change) I don't see why it would be the CPU, more problems would occur, maybe your PCI-E slot is corrupt;

Test My Hardware - 100% Freeware designed for computer hardware test, hardware test, hardware testing, hardware tester, hardware tests, pc hardware test, hardware test software, hardware testing software, hardware test download, pc hardware testing, (http://www.testmyhardware.com/test_my_hardware.html)

Download, run and see if it tells you anything.

Suppose you could try turning v-sync off (If you have it on) thought not too sure how it would result in 15FPS...

Nishok
29 Nov 2011, 04:12am
It is clearly my CPU..
I inserted my old AMD 3.0ghz dual core CPU and I got 80FPS in gmod.
I placed my current CPY back (AMD Phenom 9600 quad core, 2.3Ghz) and I get 15FPS again..

I tried reinstalling the drievrs for the 9600 one, but it said my windows isn't supported for the drivers.. Is this CPU not 64bit supported? o.O

Edit:

I removed my CPU drivers, made windows reinstall them again, still same problem.. My guess is, the CPU is damaged.

Tweezy
29 Nov 2011, 08:01am
It is clearly my CPU..
I inserted my old AMD 3.0ghz dual core CPU and I got 80FPS in gmod.
I placed my current CPY back (AMD Phenom 9600 quad core, 2.3Ghz) and I get 15FPS again..

I tried reinstalling the drievrs for the 9600 one, but it said my windows isn't supported for the drivers.. Is this CPU not 64bit supported? o.O

Edit:

I removed my CPU drivers, made windows reinstall them again, still same problem.. My guess is, the CPU is damaged.

From what you just told us then I tend to agree. I originally thought it wasn't the CPU due to other errors I would expect to see, looks like I'm still learning :L (As I shall be for the rest of my life)

You still got a warranty on it?

Nishok
29 Nov 2011, 08:52am
From what you just told us then I tend to agree. I originally thought it wasn't the CPU due to other errors I would expect to see, looks like I'm still learning :L (As I shall be for the rest of my life)

You still got a warranty on it?

Everyone has got to learn :)

And nope, no warranty, it's over 2y/o :(

Shadowex3
2 Dec 2011, 02:24pm
Every CPU since the pentium 4 has had the x64 instruction set and every cpu likely will continue to have it since it's part of the mutual licensing standoff AMD and Intel have. Intel licensed AMD x86 to make CPUs and in return AMD licenses intel x64 to make 64bit CPUs themselves.

My guess here would be a BIOS problem with your mobo, which might not support the newer CPU fully, or like you suggested some kind of physical damage. Try updating to the newst BIOS version your mobo manufacturer offers and then give the new CPU another shot, check it with CPU-Z to make sure it's running with the right number of cores at the right speed, and if you STILL have issues... then yeah you're SoL.

Nishok
2 Dec 2011, 02:32pm
I've given a friend of mine my CPU earlier today, so he can test in the weekend, since he has the same CPU. If he has the same problem, then it's the CPU which is broken. If it works fine for him, then I know it's my MoBo.

Thanks for the info Shadow