PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim Q & A

Zeke
11 Nov 2011, 06:04pm
So yea like anyone playing Skyrim you've probably got a lot of questions. Or your looking to find something in particular.

Post your questions here and I'll try to answer them. Or better yet post your own Q & A and I'll add it to the OP. Also try to keep the answers as non-spoiler as possible.

Question:

Where can I find the Dark Brotherhood?

Answer:
I stumbled upon this by pure accident (well on one of the main quests I did). Go to the "Sleeping Giant Inn" in Riverwood (although any innkeeper should do). Ask the bartender about any rumors that he's heard. Eventually he'll tell you about someone that has been trying to join the Dark Brotherhood. You should get a miscellaneous quest at this time asking you to "Talk To Aventis Aretino." Alternatively you can go to Honorhall Orphanage in Riften and witness Grelod as she treats the orphans like shit; that will also give you the quest.

Question:

How can I level quick and gain items, gold etc at the start of the game quick and fast.

Answer:

When you have to find the Dragon Stone, go to the store and get a quest to find the Dragon Claw.
Both quests are in the same area and you will find loads of items and gold.

I gained 3 levels with the quests and grinding in the dungeon.

Question:

How good are the graphics on the game?

Answer:

Depends on your PC,
PS3 and Xbox360 are pretty good.

Question:

Where can I get mods for Skyrim?

Answer:

As always, the best place to find mods for any Elder Scrolls game are the Nexus websites.

Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/)

There are others but I find the nexus websites easy to find what you are looking for, and they tend to have the most uploaded mods.

Question:
When I try to talk to Esburn in the Riften Warrens, he is completely quiet and/or will not open the door during the quest line (Main). What do I do?

Answer:
Use the "movetoqt mq202 1" command so that you get into the room. Spam the "E" key on him, if that doesn't work try waiting a few hours "T" then try again. However he may be completely silent which has to be patched.

Question:
I've seen some videos and/or heard from friends that you can become a werewolf. How can I go about doing this?

Answer:
There are a number of methods of joining the ranks of the Companions (The Skyrim equivalent of the "Fighter's Guild"):
- You may occasionally find members of the Companions battling Giants. Prove your combat prowess and worth by helping them slay their foes, and they will direct you to Kodlak Whitemane in Jorrvaskr.
- You may also apply at their main guild hall.

You will then need to complete a few of their quests before the option is presented to you.

Question:

Where can I find the Thieve's Guild?

Answer:
Head to Riften, upon entering the city you will be bombarded by numerous quests regarding the Thieve's Guild and how to join.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Duruza/Skyrim-map.png
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Duruza/Skyrim-map.png
The most South Eastern Province displayed on the map is where you will find Riften.

More to come...

Metal
11 Nov 2011, 06:32pm
Question:

How can I level quick and gain items, gold etc at the start of the game quick and fast.

Answer:

When you have to find the Dragon Stone, go to the store and get a quest to find the Dragon Claw.
Both quests are in the same area and you will find loads of items and gold.

I gained 3 levels with the quests and grinding in the dungeon.

Im a Jackass
11 Nov 2011, 06:55pm
Question: how good are the graphics on the game?

Alucard
11 Nov 2011, 07:05pm
Answer:

Depends on your PC,
PS3 and Xbox360 are pretty good.

Metal
11 Nov 2011, 08:26pm
A bit better than the last game, but im going to say Fall out NV graphics + a bit more.

PC will get HD textures soon

Zeke
11 Nov 2011, 10:26pm
Someone always releases an HD texture pack later on. But it already looks pretty phenominal on Ultra settings. The weather is especially fantastic.

Also, another way to get the Golden Claw Quest Fullmetal was talking about is just going into the cave where the Dragonstone is (the first entrance, where you find two bandits talking about Arvel the Swift being an idiot for running off ahead). As soon as you listen to those two talk the quest will automatically be added.

Cromyth
11 Nov 2011, 10:48pm
Question: When I try to talk to Esburn in the Riften Warrens, he is completely quiet and/or will not open the door during the quest line (Main). What do I do?

Answer: Use the "movetoqt mq202 1" command so that you get into the room. Spam the "E" key on him, if that doesn't work try waiting a few hours "T" then try again. However he may be completely silent which has to be patched.

hV
12 Nov 2011, 07:06am
How do I stop lagging out in the open world every 5 minutes for 5 seconds?

Tweezy
12 Nov 2011, 10:00am
How do I stop lagging out in the open world every 5 minutes for 5 seconds?

What are your computer specs? Prob need to turn your graphics down. Try turning anti aliasing down

hV
12 Nov 2011, 11:35am
What are your computer specs? Prob need to turn your graphics down. Try turning anti aliasing down

It's a game issue whenever the world is rendering in the distance... My graphics are fine.

Im a Jackass
12 Nov 2011, 01:17pm
Question: I just got the game any starter tips?

Smiley :]
12 Nov 2011, 01:42pm
Question:
Are there any guilds equivalent to the mages', fighters' and thieves' guild on skyrim? Also, is there a dark brotherhood?

fanatiik
12 Nov 2011, 01:51pm
;638530']Question:
Are there any guilds equivalent to the mages', fighters' and thieves' guild on skyrim? Also, is there a dark brotherhood?

So yea like anyone playing Skyrim you've probably got a lot of questions. Or your looking to find something in particular.
Question:

Where can I find the Dark Brotherhood?

Answer:
I stumbled upon this by pure accident (well on one of the main quests I did). Go to the "Sleeping Giant Inn" in Riverwood. Ask the bartender about any rumors that he's heard. Eventually he'll tell you about someone that has been trying to join the Dark Brotherhood. You should get a miscellaneous quest at this time asking you to "Talk To Aventis Aretino."

Post your questions here and I'll try to answer them. Or better yet post your own Q & A and I'll add it to the OP. Also try to keep the answers as non-spoiler as possible.

read first post much?

and to answer for the other guilds yes there is a fighter guild but this time it's called the companies there is a mage guild called the arcane college which can be found in winterhold and there is also a thief guild.

Gator
12 Nov 2011, 03:13pm
Q: I heard there's Werewolves and that you can become a Werewolf, Is this true?

Q: Is there still Vampires? Can you become a Vampire?

Tweezy
12 Nov 2011, 03:36pm
Q: I heard there's Werewolves and that you can become a Werewolf, Is this true?

Q: Is there still Vampires? Can you become a Vampire?

Vampire yes, werewolves no idea.

Zeke
12 Nov 2011, 03:48pm
Yes, I posted a tip on how to become a werewolf in OP. Basically join the Companions and do about three or so of their missions and you'll be offered to become a werewolf. More detail on joining in the OP.

Im a Jackass
12 Nov 2011, 10:21pm
Q:Im on a missian I have to ruff some one up and not kill him. But when I do it all the guards come for me and its hard to get away any way to do this with out all the guards comign for me?

Zeke
13 Nov 2011, 03:36am
Q:Im on a missian I have to ruff some one up and not kill him. But when I do it all the guards come for me and its hard to get away any way to do this with out all the guards comign for me?

You can try using some sort of paralysis on the person and then beating them senselessly. What mission is it in particular? I can help you out exactly if I know what mission it's for.

It's a game issue whenever the world is rendering in the distance... My graphics are fine.

Not sure...the game runs fine for me on Ultra settings. You should try lowering some of the fade settings located in the advanced options settings from the Skyrim Launcher. From there hit the View Distance tab and try lowering a few of the sliders. It may or may not work. If not I'll look into an .ini tweak that should fix it.

hV
13 Nov 2011, 08:02am
You can try using some sort of paralysis on the person and then beating them senselessly. What mission is it in particular? I can help you out exactly if I know what mission it's for.

Not sure...the game runs fine for me on Ultra settings. You should try lowering some of the fade settings located in the advanced options settings from the Skyrim Launcher. From there hit the View Distance tab and try lowering a few of the sliders. It may or may not work. If not I'll look into an .ini tweak that should fix it.

It's a common problem for XP users. I can run pretty damn high and experience no lag (just drops in FPS) but in Skyrim (in the open world) the distance rendering causes my game to freeze momentarily - sound still playing.

13 Nov 2011, 09:45am
Yes, I posted a tip on how to become a werewolf in OP. Basically join the Companions and do about three or so of their missions and you'll be offered to become a werewolf. More detail on joining in the OP.

So if/when ju become werewolf, what advantages/disadvantages comes with it? What even changes? Do ju lose ur ability to use weapons (demclawz), or are ju forced howling to the moon at night? lolol

Im a Jackass
13 Nov 2011, 10:00am

Mission called Hired Muscle. I have to rough him up in whiterun.

Edit Found out how I just had to wait for him to come out side

Movement
13 Nov 2011, 02:01pm
How do you get more words for shouts? I have 4 or 5 shouts, but I can only use 2 (The one from the first dragon and one from the greybeards) of them because my character hasn't learned the words for the shout.

Baykal
13 Nov 2011, 03:24pm
How do you get more words for shouts? I have 4 or 5 shouts, but I can only use 2 (The one from the first dragon and one from the greybeards) of them because my character hasn't learned the words for the shout.

To actually get more words, you find them on word walls found in dungeons all over Skyrim. If you have shouts but can't use them, you need to unlock them in your magic>shouts menu using dragon souls you've collected (it took me a while to figure that out aswell).

Zeke
13 Nov 2011, 05:20pm
Every dragon you slay = 1 dragon soul

;638588']So if/when ju become werewolf, what advantages/disadvantages comes with it? What
even changes? Do ju lose ur ability to use weapons (demclawz), or are ju forced howling to the moon at night? lolol

Advantages
Your maximum health increases by 100 points, but does not regenerate.
Your maximum stamina also increases by 100.
You have a faster sprint speed (even faster than horses).
Wolves will treat you as an ally, and won't attack you.
Any Crimes you commit as a werewolf don't count against your "normal" self.

Disadvantages
You can't loot any corpses you slay.
You can't pick up or use any items you find. Since this includes keys, you may find your progress blocked in some dungeons.
You can't equip or use any of your normal weapons, spells, items, equipment, Shouts, or Powers. You can't even open the Inventory Menu.
Your large, hulking form may have trouble fitting through some narrow passages.
You can't speak with anyone, even your own Companions brethren.
Citizens of Skyrim are rightly terrified of you; some of them flee, while the battle-hardened, brave, or foolish stand their ground and attack you.
If anyone sees you transform to or from a beast, the transformation is considered a major Crime (1000 gold bounty in the area).
You can not become "well rested" when sleeping in a bed.
If you die as a werewolf, you die. You don't turn back into your human form to continue fighting.

Those are all the pretty much basic things of being a werewolf. There are other things of course like your increased strength. You can also only become a werewolf once a day (in-game time). And you are only a werewolf for a limited time. Although feeding on the residents of Tamriel will extend your bloodlust (lifeline basically).

andre1028
13 Nov 2011, 06:59pm
Randomly putting this out here. If you want to become married you go to Riften and speak to one of the priests who hangs out in either their Temple of Mara or the Bees in for the 'Amulet of Mara'

1)The priest himself explains how it works. Pretty much it's just getting a permanent (and free) companion that can make you sammichs on demand. There are also extra benefits like if they sell stuff they can give you a 'share' of their gold (I think they make profit whether they're following you or at their (or your) home, size depending on how frequent you ask. I think you also get a "lover's company" buff if you sleep with them around you. Imo you should just marry ones that can accompany you on journeys.

-Aela from the Companions in Whiterun is an example of a spouse that can give you gold regularly and is a kickass fighter. She hurts with a bow and can do considerable damage with her tiny dagger, which I think you can replace/

-Companions that accompany you in your journey, married or not, are always worth having around and really have saved me countless times in tight spots but drawing aggro first or by helping me fight hard 1v1 enemies.

-Also don't worry about any companions getting lost on your way to a place. All you need to do is fast travel or enter a new area and they spawn with you once you're done loading.

2) Also, this is personal preference, but I personally don't use horses. That 1k gold you spend is better off buying houses for storage (cheapest in 5k in Whiterun, I think) or getting 'training' to level up quicker and be more effective overall. If you go with the early main quest and learn the Sprint shout from the Greybeards, you can pretty much spam it to get around (especially if you have an Amulet of Talos that reduces the cooldown by 20%)

-If you really want a horse you can try this: Outside Riften is the local horse stable. I think it glitched but I challenged him to a brawl, won, and all his belongings changed status from 'steal' to 'take.' THAT included the horses in his stable.

3) There's a shit load of things you can do before continuing with the main quest. I've only finished training with the Graybeards and killed the dragon interrelated to the quest regarding training and I'm level 21/22 with my specialized skills (Archery, One/Two Handed, Block, Heavy Armour, etc) in the high 50s plus I found about 2 or 3 (disregarding the main quest ones) Dragon Shouts. That's about half way to the max, and I've played probably more or less 1% of the main quest and spent at least 25-30 hours with other things.

4) I wouldn't buy things from the merchant early level. I still haven't bought anything past lockpicks and potions (always worth the money) because if you just spend time exploring out in the field you can get a crap load of great loot exploring dungeons.

-If you can find one of the Dwarven mines you can get a crap load of Dwarven heavy armour, but you need to play safe. Bring a companion along.
-For light armour, In dungeons I've come across Elven armour which is one of the best early light armour you can get your hands on.

5) Always, always, always try to get a sneak bonus anywhere if you're the type that also levels up their Archery. In my opinion bows are much more viable than sneaking with a dagger when you're trying to assassinate weak enemies. There's a point where you can literally one-2 shot lower tier slumbering nord zombies and bandits before they could get up. Play enough and they're obvious to pick out which one is a zombie among the corpses in the Dungeon's Hall of Dead. Not only do you save ammo, you save time.

6) No matter what class you're going for, imo you should always look to pick every lock and keep your lock level high. There are a lot of rooms/chests in dungeons that are inaccessible without lockpicking and you miss out on a lot of loot. If you're worried about losing picks, just save right before.

-Note: I think locks reset their sweet spot every time you quit lock picking.

7) I know this may sound surprising but you can save DURING fights. I'm not even kidding about it. It's really damn useful to have a save when you're trying to clutch fight a giant or dragon that you can go back to and plan your next move every time you make a mistake and lose the fight.

8) On that note, don't try to fight giants early level. They one shot you into space.

-One thing I have to say though is that there are points in Skyrim where you can kite a giant (or equivalent) by luring them to one of the city watch towers (or equivalent) where they can't enter through the small doorway. At level 5 I lured two giants (and their mammoth) outside Whiterun to Whiterun's local watchtower and kited it at the doorway. That's also an easy way to get a mammoth tusk for one of the quests in Whiterun.

There's a lot more info I've amassed but I'll type in next time I'm not bored or busy not playing Skyrim.

Metal
13 Nov 2011, 07:36pm
As of now, my sword and shield are pretty bad.

Any dungeon or shop that have a sword and shield that are pretty good?
My sword has like 10+ no more than 20 damage so its pretty bad.

Gator
13 Nov 2011, 07:49pm

Depends. What kind of sword do you have? Two-Hand or One-Hand?

Metal
13 Nov 2011, 07:52pm
Depends. What kind of sword do you have? Two-Hand or One-Hand?

"Sword and shield"

1-Hand

Cromyth
13 Nov 2011, 08:15pm

If you do the main questline you eventually get to unlock Sky High Temple or something along those lines, there are The Blade's armor and shield in there. The Shield is pretty decent and as for a one handed go to the Dwarven looking city that starts with an M, I cannot remember the name of it, Markath or something along those lines. Go to the Abandoned house, there should be a guy there, he will ask you to go inside with him, follow him, you will go deeper into the house and find a shrine to a demon God pretty much, you will be asked to kill the guy with you, do it. Then you will need to go find some priest that the God wants to kill because he keep blessing the shrine keeping the God away. He was captured (the priest) so you need to go rescue him, after doing so return to the house, then when you go back into the house the priest will be there, follow him. He will get locked in the shrine and you will need to kill the priest. After doing so the God will give you a kick ass one handed mace. It does for me right now with like a 91 one handed skill 53 Damage, it does 25 Stamina damage as well as 25 magicka damage and if you kill the person in less than 3 seconds you harvest their soul which goes into a soul shard. I've been using it ever since.

Elfbarf
13 Nov 2011, 09:06pm
-One thing I have to say though is that there are points in Skyrim where you can kite a giant (or equivalent) by luring them to one of the city watch towers (or equivalent) where they can't enter through the small doorway. At level 5 I lured two giants (and their mammoth) outside Whiterun to Whiterun's local watchtower and kited it at the doorway. That's also an easy way to get a mammoth tusk for one of the quests in Whiterun.

There's actually a Mammoth Tusk on top of a shelf in the bar you get that quest from, it isn't very hard to steal and can be used for the quest without any issues.

Metal
13 Nov 2011, 09:12pm
newfag here-
Where is the imperial faction?
Their main city and where their leader is.

Cromyth
13 Nov 2011, 09:14pm
newfag here-

Solitude and the hold where the Jarl is. If you look at the map it should say the name of it once you discovered the city. It's some bitch I know that.

Dimitry
14 Nov 2011, 12:59am
Are you a wizard?

Joking aside, How do you fill the greater soul stone or what they are called it with greater soul stone?
Every time i look in my inventory, it says its filled with petty soul/common soul.

Golden Shower
14 Nov 2011, 01:08am
Are you a wizard?

Joking aside, How do you fill the greater soul stone or what they are called it with greater soul stone?
Every time i look in my inventory, it says its filled with petty soul/common soul.

I'm assuming kill a bigger being, maybe a human, or even a giant. I have never really tried.

also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfMPkbvBwY&feature=related

Zeke
14 Nov 2011, 02:08am
Are you a wizard?

Soul traps will always look for the smallest available empty soul gem it can find and fill that. The larger the soul the creature has, the better the gem it will require.

2) Also, this is personal preference, but I personally don't use horses. That 1k gold you spend is better off buying houses for storage (cheapest in 5k in Whiterun, I think) or getting 'training' to level up quicker and be more effective overall. If you go with the early main quest and learn the Sprint shout from the Greybeards, you can pretty much spam it to get around (especially if you have an Amulet of Talos that reduces the cooldown by 20%)

A way I got a free horse was from a quest in Riften. I don't remember the guys name but he will complain about trying to buy the horse "Frost" from one of the Black-Briars. But before the deal was finished the Black-Briar was arrested for murder. Once you get to the end of this quest, if your persuade is high enough you can keep the horse, and get payed a large sum of money on top of that. I also know there is another horse you can obtain for free but I have not done it yet (horse is Shadowmere). Although personally being a werewolf I can run faster than a horse as is.

8) On that note, don't try to fight giants early level. They one shot you into space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oso_mmhvm-Y

Also I love how you can save during fights now. It gives you either the chance to save yourself, or fuck yourself over royally.

I have amased 45 hours of gameplay so far (I think I'm either a level 32 or 33) and I just got my smithing to 62 (it's finally starting to become a bitch and super expensive to level faster). But honestly I have spent almost no time at all on the main quest. I did the same thing with Oblivion.

Nasu
14 Nov 2011, 03:03am
Best horse(probably) is the one you get from the dark brotherhood, it can sprint for a long time and has a massive amount of health/armour

Elfbarf
14 Nov 2011, 10:20am
Best horse(probably) is the one you get from the dark brotherhood, it can sprint for a long time and has a massive amount of health/armour

Yep, Shadowmere is back.

ConnorC
14 Nov 2011, 11:29am
If you want a house;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooIbHOjN7c&feature=related

Matt
14 Nov 2011, 02:02pm
Question: Do you need to play Oblivion before you play Skyrim? Or does it not matter?

Zeke
14 Nov 2011, 02:09pm
Question: Do you need to play Oblivion before you play Skyrim? Or does it not matter?

No, but you will hear a lot of references of things that happened in that game. A LOT. I would still recommend playing Oblivion since to this day it's one of my top 5 favorite games.

Nishok
14 Nov 2011, 02:29pm
I haven't played Oblivion, and I can still follow the storyline.

Nasu
14 Nov 2011, 03:16pm
I'll probably play oblivion again one day, it's still a very good game even compared to skyrim especially with mods

Banana Joe
14 Nov 2011, 03:31pm
fml, doesn't make sense.

Quick question: How the hell do I get to the skyborn altar?

Edit: Also, this site was pretty helpful when I played Oblivion, hopefully it will get pretty helpful for skyrim too: Skyrim:Skyrim - UESPWiki (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim)

Movement
14 Nov 2011, 04:44pm
newfag here-

Imperials are mainly on the left side of Tamriel (the island that you play on). If you look at the maps that the Jarls are around in major cities(theres one in the area where the Jarl of Whiterun tells you to fight the dragon), the side with red flags are the Imperials, the blue are the stormcloaks.

The Emperor isn't on the island. Unless you do the quests for the Brotherhood (as far as I know so far)

You assassinate the Emperor in a ship after almost everyone in the Brootherhood dies

Gator
14 Nov 2011, 04:58pm
The events in skyrim happened before the events in Oblivion AFAIK,]

What. Skyrim is 200 year AFTER Oblivion.

Silva
14 Nov 2011, 04:59pm
Q: can't get married to anyone due to lydia dieng earlier in game she shows up as a corpse and i can't re ask the person becuase they are like gone forever lol.

A: if you drag the old followers body downstairs then re propose days later you can get married without a corpse stopping the wedding,

Nishok
14 Nov 2011, 05:13pm
Now that Silva mentioned dragging:

Q: How do you pick up items (aka: just picking up, not putting in the bag, so you can throw them or so). I did it once on accident, never knew how to do it again xD

Gator
14 Nov 2011, 05:20pm
Now that Silva mentioned dragging:

Q: How do you pick up items (aka: just picking up, not putting in the bag, so you can throw them or so). I did it once on accident, never knew how to do it again xD

A: Hold E

Im a Jackass
14 Nov 2011, 09:53pm
Q: Im on the last part of a Quest called Tending THe Flames Im at the part were it says Attend the burning of the Kild Olfa but it seems glitched. It never stops loading from a past point but it did not work and they stil lare doing it. Still has the school guy waving a torch around it. ANy Ideas how to fix?

Metal
15 Nov 2011, 06:39pm
Q: How can i make dragons come on land?
A: There are a few ways to do so.
1. Wait.
2. You can get a shout that forces them to land
3. When they swoop over you, hit them with a arrow in the eye.
They will crash and take a bit of damage

Eldest
16 Nov 2011, 03:11am
No question here only a tip, if someone had told me before I would have saved a lot of gold xD.
Basically if you want to get Smithing to 100, you don't have to make better and better items you can just make the same old shit for 80 levels straight. Best item to do that with - iron dagger. Buy leather straps or leather and iron ingots from all the smiths around Skyrim, turn them in to loads of iron daggers, gratz, you got smithing 100 :P

Nasu
16 Nov 2011, 06:05am
No question here only a tip, if someone had told me before I would have saved a lot of gold xD.
Basically if you want to get Smithing to 100, you don't have to make better and better items you can just make the same old shit for 80 levels straight. Best item to do that with - iron dagger. Buy leather straps or leather and iron ingots from all the smiths around Skyrim, turn them in to loads of iron daggers, gratz, you got smithing 100 :P

Though remember that things level with you (like in oblivion) so dungeons can get a lot harder

Eldest
16 Nov 2011, 06:39am
Pffft. Craft better armor and weapons with 100 smithing, pwn dungeons :D

Banana Joe
16 Nov 2011, 09:58am
What. Skyrim is 200 year AFTER Oblivion.

The hell did I get that from.. must've been tired when I read about it, makes more sense now..

Nasu
16 Nov 2011, 11:08am
TIP: Don't play a twohanded character. If you want to play melee go with a shield and an onearmed weapon. Blocking can get pretty tactical when you get the timeslowing when enemies powerattack you and the shield bash which can interrupt a dragon.

Nishok
16 Nov 2011, 11:13am
TIP: Don't play a twohanded character. If you want to play melee go with a shield and an onearmed weapon. Blocking can get pretty tactical when you get the timeslowing when enemies powerattack you and the shield bash which can interrupt a dragon.

I'm doing fine two handed with a special sword :p

Nasu
16 Nov 2011, 11:50am
I'm doing fine two handed with a special sword :p

The combat for 2-handed weapons hasn't been improved much from oblivion so if you didn't like it there there's not much of a difference. I'm not saying it's bad it just felt pretty boring for me :/

Eldest
16 Nov 2011, 12:00pm

This is good advice :P. When I started, I anticipated this and even though at the time I had a 2H-sword I didn't put any points in that. Having a shield is good and having good survivability is even better :D.

Farmer Mick
16 Nov 2011, 12:04pm
Pffft. Craft better armor and weapons with 100 smithing, pwn dungeons :D

you dont need better armour i completed most of the game with steel plate armour although after i completed the main quest i did all the daedra q's and got some badass gear

i started off playing dual wield untill the first dragon and found out it was useless shield and axe/mace is the way to go

Movement
16 Nov 2011, 01:33pm
Q: I had my companion and a dog follow me to the black reach, (I'm not sure if thats what its called) while i was in there I told them I didn't need their help (The last option when talking to companions, not the "wait here" one). When I was done and ready to get them back, I went to the original places where I found them, but they weren't there. Where are they? o.o

Black reach:

the place with the glowing mushrooms or whatever they are you go through when you have to get the Elder Scroll

Cromyth
16 Nov 2011, 01:42pm
Q: I had my companion and a dog follow me to the black reach, (I'm not sure if thats what its called) while i was in there I told them I didn't need their help (The last option when talking to companions, not the "wait here" one). When I was done and ready to get them back, I went to the original places where I found them, but they weren't there. Where are they? o.o

Black reach:

the place with the glowing mushrooms or whatever they are you go through when you have to get the Elder Scroll

You got rid of them for good I'm pretty sure

Nishok
16 Nov 2011, 01:45pm
You got rid of them for good I'm pretty sure

lolno :p

They get transfered over to where your house is. Go to your house, they are inside.

Movement
16 Nov 2011, 06:08pm
lolno :p

They get transfered over to where your house is. Go to your house, they are inside.
What if I never bought a house...

17 Nov 2011, 01:58am

I'm mastering in destruction magic, and some regen. I have a pretty strong twohand axe, wiff a magical echantment, and it's pretty effective. Shockmagic for distance, then bash their heads in when they're close to me. If you get decent at blocking with it, it's not that bad.

Nishok
17 Nov 2011, 02:28am
What if I never bought a house...

Have you hired a hotel, gotten into a guild (such as the college, they give you a free room, and all that shit).

Go visit every place where you got a (temporary) room.

Eldest
17 Nov 2011, 09:29am
I also miss my companion, the lady I got to assist me in Whiterun.. I had to take another companion on a mission but now I want her back, can't seem to find her anywhere. I joined the Companions tho, maybe she is in their rooms somewhere?

Lux
17 Nov 2011, 11:23am
I also miss my companion, the lady I got to assist me in Whiterun.. I had to take another companion on a mission but now I want her back, can't seem to find her anywhere. I joined the Companions tho, maybe she is in their rooms somewhere?

Whenever I lost her (before she died) she would be in my house in Whiterun. If you haven't bought the house there yet then I dunno.

hanehane
17 Nov 2011, 12:36pm
lol that chick whiterun died with me within 5min on my way up to the greybeards a frost troll jumped us and she got killed fucking trolls

Eldest
17 Nov 2011, 12:45pm
lol that chick whiterun died with me within 5min on my way up to the greybeards a frost troll jumped us and she got killed fucking trolls

Lol. I killed that troll solo x)

Whenever I lost her (before she died) she would be in my house in Whiterun. If you haven't bought the house there yet then I dunno.
Yeah, no house Q_Q

Nishok
17 Nov 2011, 01:16pm

/lastsavedgame

:p

PingPong
17 Nov 2011, 01:25pm
Go buy a house in whiterun

Zeke
17 Nov 2011, 01:38pm
/lastsavedgame

:p

Lol if I remember correctly that troll one-hitted you. I have 73-hours of gameplay now and I only own two houses. Whiterun and Riften, and Riften's is a lot nicer. Also a tip on smithing. I just discovered that all those useless dwarven items like cogs and plates can be turned into dwarven ingots to use towards smithing.

Nishok
17 Nov 2011, 01:58pm
Lol if I remember correctly that troll one-hitted you.

Indeed, I had to steal a horse and run past the troll and ignore it xD

Protip: Never run around without armor.. ice-trolls will rape you early game :(

Banana Joe
17 Nov 2011, 03:34pm
Eh, I got that ice troll myself by using magic and jumping up and down A LOT, works wonders. You can still run backwards if you just press "a" or "d" at the same time, just harder to control it that way, but the speed is the same as with running forwards.

Movement
17 Nov 2011, 05:17pm
Couldn't find them so I just reloaded my save and got them back. My dog died anyways while I was attacking a fort with the Imperials. I accidentally hit him with my sword D: and for Lydia... well lets just say she flew off a cliff... when I shouted at her. Lots of lols.

Tweezy
18 Nov 2011, 01:06am
I'm a battlemage, has to be one of the best. I use fire bolt in both hands, usually one shot everybody with that. If they get too close, two one handed weps and batter the fuck out of them, if all else fails and I'm about to die, I freeze them with a shout then heal my self. :)

hV
18 Nov 2011, 04:22am
IF ANYONE IS LAGGING EVERY 5-10 MINUTES OUTSIDE OF CITIES

I think I found a temporary fix for it. It's a patch that a user released onto the Skyrim forums, you should find it with some Googling but since no one seemed to have the issue I won't bother posting a link.

18 Nov 2011, 05:15am
I'm a battlemage, has to be one of the best. I use fire bolt in both hands, usually one shot everybody with that. If they get too close, two one handed weps and batter the fuck out of them, if all else fails and I'm about to die, I freeze them with a shout then heal my self. :)

STOP STEALIN' MUH CHARACTER.

Zeke
18 Nov 2011, 09:55am
If the game is too easy for you, turn the difficulty up to expert or master.

Lux
18 Nov 2011, 11:23am
Falmer are OP

PotshotPolka
18 Nov 2011, 02:12pm
Falmer are OP

Not when you backstab them all with 30X multipliers on daggers.

Psyche
18 Nov 2011, 08:52pm
Not when you backstab them all with 30X multipliers on daggers.
also when you disintegrate them with fireballs

Farmer Mick
19 Nov 2011, 05:57am
also when you disintegrate them with fireballs

are you mad that i one hit them??

Psyche
19 Nov 2011, 02:25pm

I one hit falmer with magic and one handed, so yes I am quite frustrated.

Lux
19 Nov 2011, 05:46pm
Yeah well....I 3 hit them if I'm lucky.

Mad? Should be.

PotshotPolka
20 Nov 2011, 01:14am

Are you mad that you play on novice?

Farmer Mick
20 Nov 2011, 01:36am
Are you mad that you play on novice?

i wish i was playing novice turns out im on hard

how furious are you now?

Nasu
20 Nov 2011, 03:49am
I actually play characters that are hard to play, mad?

Psyche
20 Nov 2011, 10:43am
i wish i was playing novice turns out im on hard

how furious are you now?

why are the europeans always so mean, I don't even think its a coincidence now I think they are all like this.

Matt
20 Nov 2011, 01:23pm
Q:Will there be infinate quests for the PS3/Xbox 360 versions as well or is this only implemented in the PC's version?

Farmer Mick
20 Nov 2011, 02:41pm
Q:Will there be infinate quests for the PS3/Xbox 360 versions as well or is this only implemented in the PC's version?

should be its the engine they used i would imagine its the same for all

though the graphics will be bad and gameplay not as enjoyable

Zeke
20 Nov 2011, 02:49pm

For all versions, it's part of a series of scripts in the game itself. Though what Mick says is true. Your game will look like shit compared to the PC.

PotshotPolka
20 Nov 2011, 03:45pm
If by infinite quests, like how you can infinitely do thieves guild and dark brotherhood missions? Those ones are pretty lame, the targets are randomly generated, and lack any and all plot.

Matt
20 Nov 2011, 04:12pm
should be its the engine they used i would imagine its the same for all

though the graphics will be bad and gameplay not as enjoyable

If by infinite quests, like how you can infinitely do thieves guild and dark brotherhood missions? Those ones are pretty lame, the targets are randomly generated, and lack any and all plot.

For all versions, it's part of a series of scripts in the game itself. Though what Mick says is true. Your game will look like shit compared to the PC.

I know what your all saying but currently my comp cant support Skyrim so im forced to play on the 360. Thanks for answers. All 3 of you.

Lux
21 Nov 2011, 05:14pm
How long does it take to grind to 100 smithing?

I've not really done any smithing/enchanting/any "Make it yourself" stuff.

Nishok
21 Nov 2011, 05:30pm
How long does it take to grind to 100 smithing?

I've not really done any smithing/enchanting/any "Make it yourself" stuff.
travel to different cities and buy leather strings and iron ingots. Then just craft tons of iron daggers to level up fast

Movement
21 Nov 2011, 05:36pm
Q: Is there a quick way to level up enchanting?

Boobcake
21 Nov 2011, 06:09pm
travel to different cities and buy leather strings and iron ingots. Then just craft tons of iron daggers to level up fast

Q: Is there a quick way to level up enchanting?

Make iron daggers, and enchant them with whatever. Sell them and make dolla dolla.

Zeke
21 Nov 2011, 07:58pm
Yea basically, iron dagger spam. I think you need to make like 428 iron daggers as a nord to reach 100 smithing. It goes pretty quick. Now 100 alchemy...that's a whole nother challenge.

Elfbarf
22 Nov 2011, 12:33pm
Yea basically, iron dagger spam. I think you need to make like 428 iron daggers as a nord to reach 100 smithing. It goes pretty quick. Now 100 alchemy...that's a whole nother challenge.

Leveling alchemy really sucks.

high rws
22 Nov 2011, 02:06pm

also my question, are the infinite quests real full fledged quests or just miniquests?

Elfbarf
22 Nov 2011, 02:16pm
also my question, are the infinite quests real full fledged quests or just miniquests?

They're more like miniquests, mostly just sending you to random dungeons to retrieve items and stuff. It isn't possible to have an infinite number of individual quests with actual storylines/unique dungeons.

andre1028
22 Nov 2011, 03:25pm
anyone else getting the purple mash texture glitch after the recent patch?

Zeke
22 Nov 2011, 06:01pm
anyone else getting the purple mash texture glitch after the recent patch?

I've been getting purple textures since release. The real patch isn't coming out till next week. I have no idea what they released now.

Im a Jackass
22 Nov 2011, 06:53pm
I've been getting purple textures since release. The real patch isn't coming out till next week. I have no idea what they released now.

same I useally crash soon after I see it so I just save and restart the game works fine after that

andre1028
22 Nov 2011, 07:16pm
I'm talking about this patch.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim patch ties launcher to Steam, breaks tweaks and RAM mod | PC Gamer (http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/22/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-patch-ties-launcher-to-steam-breaks-tweaks-and-ram-mod/)

Anyways, I'm guessing it was just a glitch from alt-tabbing. I restarted the game and everything was fine.

Farmer Mick
23 Nov 2011, 05:47am
every now and then half my screen turns purple and textures fuck up i just carry on and it either crashes or fixes it self

Tweezy
23 Nov 2011, 10:15am
I get the purple texture glitches, but it never results in my game crashing. Though, after about an hour it crashes to the desktop with no error message. As you can prob tell, that gets very fucking annoying.

Zeke
23 Nov 2011, 10:59am
I heard it can be fixed with the large address aware program. Haven't tried it though.

hV
23 Nov 2011, 11:49am
Oh hey my game runs fine now after my original problem, shame about all your problems now that mine is fixed.

Farmer Mick
23 Nov 2011, 02:04pm
Oh hey my game runs fine now after my original problem, shame about all your problems now that mine is fixed.

why is our image application really shit that i can never post images just get the invalid url and it pisses me off

andre1028
3 Dec 2011, 04:46pm
any of you get a particle glitch around your player model where sparks/rain are coming out of it? It's really annoying playing in first-person and third-person with the effects around. Look at the screenshots carefully.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596955603782442745/2F43888AFAFFF4F1E1CBB2DB152326C4AA2ACDBD/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596955603782443684/C908D439D0979A0321D27562B284D6313DCF5495/

Zeke
3 Dec 2011, 06:52pm
I don't get that problem (and it's hard as fuck to see in those pics). I would suggest installing something like enhanced shaders or some graphic tweaks and see if that has any change on it.

floffypus
4 Dec 2011, 01:29pm
Is the game hard to understand when u first start playing it? And does it take long time to lvl up?

Zeke
4 Dec 2011, 01:36pm
Is the game hard to understand when u first start playing it? And does it take long time to lvl up?

No, infact it's a bit quicker to level up than vanilla Oblivion. Your leveling gets really slow once you get to lvl 50 (I'm at lvl 55 and that took a while). The soft level cap is at 50, the max level is 81 but only if you master every skill. So basically after level 50 it's about getting as many level ups in your skills as possible.

Tweezy
4 Dec 2011, 02:14pm
any of you get a particle glitch around your player model where sparks/rain are coming out of it? It's really annoying playing in first-person and third-person with the effects around. Look at the screenshots carefully.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596955603782442745/2F43888AFAFFF4F1E1CBB2DB152326C4AA2ACDBD/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596955603782443684/C908D439D0979A0321D27562B284D6313DCF5495/

I get those issues as well, I had it so bad half the dungeon was missing...

APenguin
4 Dec 2011, 02:16pm
anyone find the other 10 stones? I only know the first 3 =[

Ace™
4 Dec 2011, 02:19pm
anyone find the other 10 stones? I only know the first 3 =[

Which are "the first 3" what are the locations of those 3 and what are they called? more in detail please.

APenguin
4 Dec 2011, 03:19pm
Which are "the first 3" what are the locations of those 3 and what are they called? more in detail please.

Uhm, the 3 guardian stones that you run across within the first 30 minutes.. thought i was kind of obvious..

Nishok
4 Dec 2011, 03:45pm
Uhm, the 3 guardian stones that you run across within the first 30 minutes.. thought i was kind of obvious..

I haven't gotten any guardian stones yet.. lol

APenguin
4 Dec 2011, 03:52pm
I haven't gotten any guardian stones yet.. lol

lol, you just skipped past that part??

Nishok
4 Dec 2011, 04:01pm
lol, you just skipped past that part??

What part? :x

APenguin
4 Dec 2011, 04:10pm
What part? :x

where you get a guardian stone blessing. in the beginning. after helgen. before riverwood. mage, thieves, or warrior..

Zeke
4 Dec 2011, 10:16pm
where you get a guardian stone blessing. in the beginning. after helgen. before riverwood. mage, thieves, or warrior..

I found most of them through sheer exploration. But by far the best I've found is the lover stone, which gives you 15% faster leveling in all skills.

Here's all the locations:
Guardian Stones - The Elder Scrolls Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian_Stones)

floffypus
5 Dec 2011, 02:47am
When playing Skyrim on easy difficult will there be stuff i can't get or will i get less stuff or is everything the same just easier?

hV
5 Dec 2011, 04:00am
When playing Skyrim on easy difficult will there be stuff i can't get or will i get less stuff or is everything the same just easier?

You can't get the professional Skyrimmer status.

floffypus
5 Dec 2011, 05:21am
You can't get the professional Skyrimmer status.

I wouldn't get it anyways. I have never playd rpg before so yea ^^

Zeke
5 Dec 2011, 10:17am

No, it's like Fallout. Pretty much higher difficulties are there to change your gameplay experience. They don't any extra experience or items.

floffypus
7 Dec 2011, 04:46pm
What race should i choose if i want to use magic and weapons?

Should have made one posts with all the questions XD I'm so buying this game to myself as a christmas present!

Nishok
7 Dec 2011, 04:50pm

Should have made one posts with all the questions XD I'm so buying this game to myself as a christmas present!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg?1288903617

Ontopic: It's very well explained when you get to chose your race. Whenever you get to pick a race, just read their description (which is like 3 sentences) and you'll know what type they are.

fanatiik
7 Dec 2011, 06:11pm

Breton make good mages but high elves are good aswell

Zeke
7 Dec 2011, 06:42pm
With Breton you get 50% magic resistance. But with additional enchanted armor or robes you can turn that into 100% easily. So Breton would probably be the best character to play as a mage.

floffypus
8 Dec 2011, 04:49pm
Okay so i just started playing. And now i need to get to the greybeards to learn some new stuff or something. And im lvl 2 soon 3. I'm i supposed to go find the greybeards now or wait until im higher lvl?

Why dont i just add u on steam Zeke cuz i think theres MANY more questions coming tomorow XD

APenguin
8 Dec 2011, 05:44pm
Okay so i just started playing. And now i need to get to the greybeards to learn some new stuff or something. And im lvl 2 soon 3. I'm i supposed to go find the greybeards now or wait until im higher lvl?

Why dont i just add u on steam Zeke cuz i think theres MANY more questions coming tomorow XD

Go around and level up some. Its not hard to get there, but its no fun to just follow the main story line. At least i didnt. Im only 1/4 the way through and lvl 40 already XD

Zeke
9 Dec 2011, 12:25am
I went to the greybeards right away, though after that I started doing sidequest and did one more main quest before doing sidequest for the next few weeks again. It wasn't until I was like lvl 52 that I finished the main quest.

Lux
9 Dec 2011, 02:30pm
I went Greybeards just to learn Whirlwind sprint so that I could run around faster