View Full Version : C/1LT Leon's Operating System Errors

Leon
9 Oct 2011, 02:15am
Tech Support Help Ticket

What general section does your problem fall under
Operating System Errors
What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP
If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
-
Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
-
Do you understand complex tech explanations
No
Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes
Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes
What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
McAfee
Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
SKIP THIS AREA
What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
IDK
Please state your problem here
So my tower has this red light (which is where the restart button is at) and I know my PC is about to fuck up because it starts to flash. Now the problem is after a while after playing a game or not doing anything except music on my PC it starts to 'lag' and I hear this error noise as if its about to crash but doesn't. I think my dad fucked with some settings and I'm pretty sure he made the CPU or something that processes the reading of whatever lower? I don't know anything about this :( And another issue sometimes my broswer freezes and long enough a blue screen appears. This happened only 4 times.

This has NEVER happened before the only problem I ever had was my tower overheating (Which causes a blue screen; I use a big fan to keep it cooled when I play) which was easy to fix.

1) Yes I do defrag every once a week
2) Updated drivers
3) Clearned the dust inside the tower
4) No viruses

Zeke
9 Oct 2011, 03:16am
First thought is a process is running in the background as a resource hog. I know on my laptop, sometimes if I have firefox running in the background while running cstrike it uses 60% of my CPU.

Next, definitely could be some sort of infection or a hardware problem. You aren't giving really specific details so I can't give a really specific answer.

You could try installing a tuneup program like tuneup utilities and see if that helps out at all. Otherwise run a virus scan, and a malware scan. I'm assuming McAffee doesn't have anti-malware (at least last time I checked). So you can try a program like malwarebytes to help out with that (or any other program you find works).

Last thing I could think of is your graphics card is dying. Had this happen years ago and this is how it started out. Turns out I fried it by running an awesome resolution on a shitty card (that and a lot of video game hours).

Leon
9 Oct 2011, 03:46am
Well I guess to help,

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 6000+
3.02 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
8500 GT

Well the only places I've gone are Youtube, SG, College site, FB, Email etc. There can't possibly be any infections, I've recently got AOL Computer Checkup which does more then my anti virus.. but it just seems odd that it started doing this after my dad was trying to make sure it was secure etc which hes the one that set up my PC.

Before I play, I always close out my browser and just let WMP playing (before now I use iTunes) while CSS or other games. I make sure all my games are set to low especially on Metro and RE5, I guess my card could be dying but I wanted my dad to do a reformat and see if it continued before buying a new one but he doesn't want to do the whole process over :/

Zeke
9 Oct 2011, 03:58am
Well I guess another thing to check would to be ask your dad what changes he's made. Something as simple as adding a new update or installing a program can cause pointless and annoying issues. You might just wanna rollback to a system restore point before all this started happening just to see if it fixes your problem.

Leon
9 Oct 2011, 03:06pm
Well I went to go check my dads settings (Our PCs are about the same when it started out) and saw he made no changes in the CPU and Memory area so I went back to mine and took off the options he added. Hopefully it doesn't cause anymore problems because the CPU usage was above 20+ and now its below like 8 or so.

And if not I will rage again XD

UPDATE: So bout 6 hours later I haven't had any problems with lag/error noises so I hope I really did fix this.

Shadowex3
14 Oct 2011, 10:57am
McAfee is so bad that like norton it may as well BE a virus. Ditch it, get Malwarebytes and Spybot. Same goes for ANYTHING from AOL.