PDA

View Full Version : Too much crap.

Lemmings19
10 May 2008, 09:39pm
This map is really starting to hurt my brain when I try to add new things.

(pay attention to the map information on the right)

The freaking .vmf is up to 45mb, but I think I'm done most of what I want to make for it.

EvInReaLife
11 May 2008, 07:29am
try adding a nodraw texture to everything that isnt seen by ingame players. Also, make all of your brushes that arent something else into func_details(tie to entity)

Lemmings19
11 May 2008, 12:59pm
I've already been using nodraw for a lot of textures (you can clearly see the yellow from the screenshot in my first post), but I haven't bothered putting nodraw on the outer areas yet because I can't yet be sure if they will be seen or not when the map is done and everything is in place. I'm going to save that for last, along with the lighting and such.

As for changing stuff to func_detail, I've been doing that with some things already (things that I don't plan on having to go back and edit, and things that might be a pain to have to select all of the brushes to move them). The roflcopter is a fine example (see attachment).

I think that the area I might need a few pointers or tips might be when I come to finish the map and make it look and feel pristine when it comes time to play it (different triggers, maybe some lighting, etc.). The reason being that I've made a few maps in the past (years and years ago, before HL2) and I have yet to read any tutorials on how to do any of this. That is what I love about Hammer, I can just play around with it and figure stuff out as I go along - I don't need to read twelve thousand pages of tutorials just to create a brush.

SATAN
11 May 2008, 05:58pm
Wah! thats a lot of stuff, but looks like it could be cool.

Also lol @ the roflcopter

Lemmings19
12 May 2008, 05:01pm
Does this seem like a bad idea? (see attachments) I'm not sure if making a chain link fence with actual brushes and not just a texture will create some lag or not - it is a LOT of brushes on screen at once (probably around 9,000). If I put barbed wire on the top of those fences, it might be around 10,000-11,000.

I can just use the fence texture if need be, but that would suck in comparison. Maybe the prefab fence, but I haven't been using any prefabs in the map yet.

EDIT:

Added the barbed wire and finished what I want for the fencing, 2 more screenshots. (the last 2) Total of about 9,000-9500 total brushes from all of the fencing.

Bill Smauz
12 May 2008, 09:09pm
Just use prop_static fence much easier and less lag.

Lemmings19
13 May 2008, 02:22am
No. I'm not going to flood this map with the same prefabs that are in every other map in this game! In fact I mean to not use a single prefab! Hah! Eat it, prefabs! This is one map you won't infect so easily!

Bill Smauz
13 May 2008, 07:43am
Okay well then you're just going to have "Too much crap"