PDA

View Full Version : Daze's Multiple Issues

Daze
9 Sep 2011, 03:07pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Multiple Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
avg Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
custom What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
aint got one Please state your problem here
So here's the deal.

I've been having issues where my PC completely freezes and I need to reboot. I've got 1x 640GB HD which has the OS and a spare unused 320GB drive in there too. So I presumed it was bad sectors or some shit on the HD so I decided to format and install on the 320 drive. Anyway it appears to be having the same issues as the other drive so kinda rules out anything HD related.

I'm also getting BSOD's about IRQ requests so there's something dodgy going on.

I'm now leaning towards CPU dying. Thing is, my sys is outdated and I want to replace the whole thing afresh soon so I'd rather just grab the same CPU off ebay for the time being.

Can anyone share some light and agree/disagree with my self diagnosis?

Tweezy
9 Sep 2011, 03:53pm
Tech Support Help Ticket

What general section does your problem fall under
Multiple Issues
What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7
If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
-
Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
-
Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes
Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No
Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes
What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
avg
Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
custom
What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
aint got one
Please state your problem here
So here's the deal.

I've been having issues where my PC completely freezes and I need to reboot. I've got 1x 640GB HD which has the OS and a spare unused 320GB drive in there too. So I presumed it was bad sectors or some shit on the HD so I decided to format and install on the 320 drive. Anyway it appears to be having the same issues as the other drive so kinda rules out anything HD related.

I'm also getting BSOD's about IRQ requests so there's something dodgy going on.

I'm now leaning towards CPU dying. Thing is, my sys is outdated and I want to replace the whole thing afresh soon so I'd rather just grab the same CPU off ebay for the time being.

Can anyone share some light and agree/disagree with my self diagnosis?

BSOD? Could be your RAM? Try downloading and running this program;

http://www.pc-doctor.com/

it scans your hardware for any issues.

Silva
9 Sep 2011, 04:40pm
Yea sounds like your ram, in BIOS try setting the RAM voltage to Mfg same for timings, maybe its not on the recomended?

Daze
11 Sep 2011, 03:46am
I did re-seat RAM

I thought Interrupt requests were initiated by the CPU?

Tweezy
11 Sep 2011, 04:23am
I did re-seat RAM

I thought Interrupt requests were initiated by the CPU?

Hardware send IQR's to the CPU, then the CPU deals with the request.

The issue is, either the hardware part isn't sending the IQR, or the CPU isn't dealing with them correctly. (I think) I would of thought if it was the CPU, you would be having lots of issues with other parts?

Try running that hardware in my OP, might help shed some light.

Or, maybe the hardware is working perfectly, but you have a defect cable? (You said you were having issue with HDD) resulting in the CPU having no idea what to do, resulting in a BSOD? Just a bit of brain storming.

Spiffy
14 Sep 2011, 09:11am
Sorry for the delayed post, I've been busy.

There are a lot of unanswered questions here. What are the BSOD codes? When do you get the BSOD, immediately at bootup? You re-seated the RAM but have you tried using each stick of RAM in each slot by it self to see if one of the slots or sticks of RAM is bad? Were both hard drives plugged in on each boot?

P.S. - Tweezy, it's IRQ.

Daze
4 Oct 2011, 03:34pm
It was weird. I initially got BSOD's. - Rebooting too quick to get the code to google annoyingly.

Then it just started freezing and I had to reboot and if I was lucky I'd get back on Windows and if not I'd have to sys restore. It appears to be a dodgy stick of RAM that I've had in there for about 3 years.

Thanks for the help!

Jazzyy
4 Oct 2011, 08:41pm
It was weird. I initially got BSOD's. - Rebooting too quick to get the code to google annoyingly.

Then it just started freezing and I had to reboot and if I was lucky I'd get back on Windows and if not I'd have to sys restore. It appears to be a dodgy stick of RAM that I've had in there for about 3 years.

Thanks for the help!
i tend to keep a spare cd with Hiren's Boot CD on it or just putting Memtest on it, there's also a built in windows memory test (i think you have to spam f12 on boot to access it, usually if you're loading 2 oses it shows up automatically). i'd keep those handy just incase, memtest is usually your easiest, safest way (make sure to run it as a bootable cd/fdrive/dvd/etc) to get accurate results and not inside windows.

i know you already got your problems solved just wanted to mention memtest since i didn't see this thread before.

edit: one more thing to any badram a clear sign is usually applications crashing randomly and happening frequently while using a lot of ram. your web browser would usually be the first to start showing this as it usually uses a lot of resources and is used frequently

Daze
5 Oct 2011, 12:33pm
i tend to keep a spare cd with Hiren's Boot CD on it or just putting Memtest on it, there's also a built in windows memory test (i think you have to spam f12 on boot to access it, usually if you're loading 2 oses it shows up automatically). i'd keep those handy just incase, memtest is usually your easiest, safest way (make sure to run it as a bootable cd/fdrive/dvd/etc) to get accurate results and not inside windows.

i know you already got your problems solved just wanted to mention memtest since i didn't see this thread before.

edit: one more thing to any badram a clear sign is usually applications crashing randomly and happening frequently while using a lot of ram. your web browser would usually be the first to start showing this as it usually uses a lot of resources and is used frequently

I hear ya, I was just thrown off by the issues I was getting and started thinking it was bad sectors on the HD or the CPU was intermittently working.

Glad I've sorted it though :)