PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Against Science

Elfbarf
30 Aug 2011, 05:43pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/29/opinion/republicans-against-science.html?src=me&ref=general

I can't even begin to explain how screwed we are.

Also, the article doesn't mention them, but Michele Bachmann and Ron Paul have very similar feelings as far as evolution/environmentalism goes.

Bachmann Blames 'Radical Environmentalists' For Energy Problems : TreeHugger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/08/republican-bachmann-radical.php)
Michele Bachmann: Abolish the EPA (Video) : TreeHugger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/06/michele-bachmann-abolish-epa-gop-video.php)
On the Environment, Ron Paul is Even Crazier Than Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry : TreeHugger (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/08/on_the_environm.php)
Ron Paul: I don't accept the theory of evolution - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/29/scitech/main20098876.shtml)
Bachmann: Natural Disasters are God's Way of Saying "Cut Spending" (http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2011/08/29/bachmann_natural_disasters_are_god_s_way_of_saying _cut_spending_.html)

Drox
30 Aug 2011, 06:05pm
I don't mind people who have some creation theories (Like Alien origin kind of shit) or think evolution has it's flaws since it's still a theory, although I believe Bachmann is a full functioning retard. If she becomes president I might actually consider giving up my citizenship and taking my chances somewhere else. lol Although I still think Ron Paul is the best choice out of the GOP, since all the rest of them seem like the same shit different wrapping.

SexualHarassmentPanda
30 Aug 2011, 08:18pm
Shit like this makes me scared to death about the next election.

Silva
31 Aug 2011, 02:03am
“manipulating data” to create a fake threat. In his book “Fed Up,” he dismissed climate science as a “contrived phony mess that is falling apart.”

What the fuck are they/he trying to get at? Its real just not happening as quickly as "2012" But i guess they can beleive in their superstitions of an almighty being whos just fucking with the thermostat.

Harpr33t
31 Aug 2011, 06:29am
He's not as crazy as O'Donnell Of Delaware

James
31 Aug 2011, 09:53am
What the fuck is wrong with some of these people.. Is it pure ignorance? Oh wait - I get it, someone threw in God in that last article. Evolution may be a theory yes, however part is fact, and as far as I know, evolution hasn't actually been disproved; at least when I learnt about it. Religion just shouldn't be mixed up with politics at all.

Elfbarf
31 Aug 2011, 10:08am
It occurs to me that the GOP's current front-runners are a governor who held statewide (and ineffective) prayers for rain, a congesswoman who says/jokes that God sends messages with natural disasters, and Mitt Romney.

I would be laughing if this wasn't so depressing.

Harpr33t
31 Aug 2011, 10:18am
Till this day no religion has explained the presence of Dinosaurs. And the only religion to come close is Hinduism which has half man half monkey people actually existed (evolution)

Drox
31 Aug 2011, 12:21pm
Till this day no religion has explained the presence of Dinosaurs. And the only religion to come close is Hinduism which has half man half monkey people actually existed (evolution)

lol I remember someone who was a die-hard christian said "dinosaur bones were put on earth by god to test us". I thought that was pretty funny. :P So I suppose that's their explanation for them. lol

SexualHarassmentPanda
31 Aug 2011, 12:35pm
lol I remember someone who was a die-hard christian said "dinosaur bones were put on earth by god to test us". I thought that was pretty funny. :P So I suppose that's a explanation for them. lol

I remember another die-hard christian that believed that we should praise the tsunami in Japan and it was God's way of waking up the atheists. (I heard she was just trolling, but it still scares me to see people agree)

What makes me concerned is that some of these people aren't too far behind, just look at the last link in the original post.

Elfbarf
31 Aug 2011, 12:56pm
I remember another die-hard christian that believed that we should praise the tsunami in Japan and it was God's way of waking up the atheists. (I heard she was just trolling, but it still scares me to see people agree)

What makes me concerned is that some of these people aren't too far behind, just look at the last link in the original post.

Pastor Compares Atheists To "Terrorists, Sex Offenders," Suggests National Registry | Care2 Causes (http://www.care2.com/causes/pastor-compares-atheists-to-terrorists-sex-offenders-suggests-national-registry.html)
This guy is ahead of the pack.

Tamahome
31 Aug 2011, 03:33pm
I wonder what this country's gonna be like in 10 years...

Drox
31 Aug 2011, 04:33pm
I wonder what this country's gonna be like in 10 years...

I'd be surprised if we are still a country in 10 years, some have predicted the US would split up in the near future because the failing of the Federal government. Although this is unlikely but it's a possibility if things keep going bad for the US.

Fartingo
31 Aug 2011, 05:48pm
Oh, I can smell where this discussion is going...

Just to get the elephant (buh-dum-tish) out of the room, I'm both a Christian (Catholic) and a semi-Republican but I disagree with pretty much every Republican GOP candidate aside from McCain (who isn't even really a Republican). I think that evolution is an obvious reality and that it doesn't disprove the existance of a god in the slightest. So fuckin' what if it took 2 billion years for us to be created? Who's to say Adam and Eve weren't reduced to simple proteins for their betrayl?

I try my best not to get into heavy shit like this but when threads like this pop up they pretty much always turns into a battlefield of theist/atheist butthurt. I'm not out to convince anyone of anything but FFS just keep in mind that for every Fred Phelps or Sarah Palin there's a Martin Luther or Frederick Copleston.

Elfbarf
31 Aug 2011, 06:06pm
Oh, I can smell where this discussion is going...

Just to get the elephant (buh-dum-tish) out of the room, I'm both a Christian (Catholic) and a semi-Republican but I disagree with pretty much every Republican GOP candidate aside from McCain (who isn't even really a Republican). I think that evolution is an obvious reality and that it doesn't disprove the existance of a god in the slightest. So fuckin' what if it took 2 billion years for us to be created? Who's to say Adam and Eve weren't reduced to simple proteins for their betrayl?

I try my best not to get into heavy shit like this but when threads like this pop up they pretty much always turns into a battlefield of theist/atheist butthurt. I'm not out to convince anyone of anything but FFS just keep in mind that for every Fred Phelps or Sarah Palin there's a Martin Luther or Frederick Copleston.

I'm fully aware that not all Christians are fanatics, but unfortunately the people with the best chance of getting the Republican nomination are.

PotshotPolka
31 Aug 2011, 09:25pm
McCain (who isn't even really a Republican).

Bro. Surely you jest.

Lux
1 Sep 2011, 06:13am

What about Ghanesh :huh:

Half human half elephant? :tape:

Tamahome
1 Sep 2011, 10:44am
I think that evolution is an obvious reality and that it doesn't disprove the existance of a god in the slightest. So fuckin' what if it took 2 billion years for us to be created? Who's to say Adam and Eve weren't reduced to simple proteins for their betrayl?

Isn't the earth only 6000 years old according to the bible? :/

Ultramarine
1 Sep 2011, 01:06pm
I don't mind people who have some creation theories (Like Alien origin kind of shit) or think evolution has it's flaws since it's still a theory, although I believe Bachmann is a full functioning retard. If she becomes president I might actually consider giving up my citizenship and taking my chances somewhere else. lol Although I still think Ron Paul is the best choice out of the GOP, since all the rest of them seem like the same shit different wrapping.

My family already has plans to move out of the US if the Republicans win this election lol.

Harpr33t
2 Sep 2011, 11:23am
My family already has plans to move out of the US if the Republicans win this election lol.

Republicans don't like deaf people

Ultramarine
2 Sep 2011, 04:44pm
Republicans don't like deaf people

Probably.

(von dutch) delta force 8
3 Sep 2011, 08:58am
It's sad to see religion taking these ridiculous forms, it's even sadder when it reaches the parliamenet.
I know a good bunch of christians that believe but accept the world with all its science and the possible "flaws" in the bible and live on with a healthy mindset..
However I've met some dumb sorry so called "true believers" they really sicken it for the rest of the people out there when try to pucnh shit down your throat. Politics and Relegion should never go together.

Fartingo
3 Sep 2011, 06:26pm
Isn't the earth only 6000 years old according to the bible? :/

Hell, the Bible's been translated, transliterated, edited, and rewritten so many times I doubt any of it (aside from the whole God thing obviously) should be taken literally. There are stories where men (maybe you remember the name Methuselah) have lived for over 900 years, and no one knows if it's just a fuck-up in translation (may have been lunar months, or some ancient form of calendar) or for cereal.

Bro. Surely you jest.

No rly. The only reason he registers Republican is for the campaign support, not that it matters anymore but now I think it's out of convenience more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I'd still put him at the right end of the spectrum, but more in that moderate sweet-spot than...well...her.

b0red
3 Sep 2011, 06:41pm
What the fuck is wrong with some of these people.. Is it pure ignorance? Oh wait - I get it, someone threw in God in that last article. Evolution may be a theory yes, however part is fact, and as far as I know, evolution hasn't actually been disproved; at least when I learnt about it. Religion just shouldn't be mixed up with politics at all.

Gravity is also a theory but you don't see people questioning that. People who don't believe in evolution are idiots, the scientific evidence towards evolution is more than enough to justify it. Simply saying "god dun it" is the ignorant way of saying things. Fuck religion hardcore. Atheism erryday.

Also I'm not dissing your post. I'm just ranting about how much I hate some people in our country. Indeed religion and politics should never mix.

MlnnWbkMlbg

welcome to modern religion.

Also jesus promised a end to all people who are evil. Thor also promised the end of ice giants. I don't see any ice giants. hehe

Drox
3 Sep 2011, 07:09pm
No rly. The only reason he registers Republican is for the campaign support, not that it matters anymore but now I think it's out of convenience more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I'd still put him at the right end of the spectrum, but more in that moderate sweet-spot than...well...her.

Which John McCain are we talking about here? lol The fact that you think John McCain is more Independent than Republican is laughable. Although I'm sure McCain wishes the Republican party was even more Neo-Con than what they are turning into (Since he is one of the idiots who thinks we should put troops in Libya, as if our defense budget is just magically and eternally refilling for war efforts). He is far from moderate. lol

harro
9 Sep 2011, 01:21am
Hell, the Bible's been translated, transliterated, edited, and rewritten so many times I doubt any of it (aside from the whole God thing obviously) should be taken literally. There are stories where men (maybe you remember the name Methuselah) have lived for over 900 years, and no one knows if it's just a fuck-up in translation (may have been lunar months, or some ancient form of calendar) or for cereal.

Of course the translation of the bible these past thousands of years are fucked up. When there's something disproved in it, it gets erased, edited, or given a different vague meaning.