PDA

View Full Version : BF3 64-slot servers. Nope.

Jazzyy
29 Aug 2011, 04:12pm
http://www.pwnedgamers.com/screensnapr/images/1z1fhg.png

Battlefield 3 64 Player Server Rental Priced At Over $1000 - Hooked Gamers (http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/chrispriestman/2011/08/29/battlefield_3_64_player_server_rental_priced_at_ov er_1000.html)

Mind you this is the price for some weird ass hosting company and that more "reputable" (lol) game providers may be slightly cheaper, but it's no doubt that all server providers will definitely keep it above 1.50/slot IMO.
It's definitely going to be atleast $100/mo. Starting to believe a BF3 server wouldn't be worth it :/

edit: i should mention it's not so much as the EA/game server having crazy prices, but it's been the standard to have inane prices. this is why people like SG use dedi servers, they are just a helluva lot cheaper than that.

ea is setting a shit standard as are activision. shit like this in all actuality, is going to kill pc gaming.

Tamahome
29 Aug 2011, 06:45pm
That doesn't really sound all that bad imo. I can imagine how much power it takes to run a server for a game as demanding as BF3 with 64 players. Considering the cost to run a server is usually split between clans/communities, I think it's not a bad deal.

sebak
29 Aug 2011, 07:22pm
i dont even like playing in the 64 player servers anyways.

Jazzyy
29 Aug 2011, 07:23pm
just realized that screenshot is pretty fake, has bc2 slated as 64 slots. but i think the price still stands at about $1k/yr from news source

Harry
29 Aug 2011, 07:47pm
1k/yr isn't that bad. Not good, but not bad either... I also think GSPs with gmod servers sell 64 slots for more than that.

Metal
29 Aug 2011, 08:18pm
With the money we have and the amount of SG getting bf3.
We should not waste this, lets just have fun..

Jazzyy
29 Aug 2011, 08:33pm
host it for a month and if it isn't full 14 hours out of the day, no more bf3 servers.

have fun seeding fullmetal.

Metal
29 Aug 2011, 09:49pm
host it for a month and if it isn't full 14 hours out of the day, no more bf3 servers.

have fun seeding fullmetal.

Pff I'll be seeding a lot.
Also advertisement on the gmod/css servers would help.

but hey, if we cant get one or we do and its not supported ill just move in with TG and TNS wink wink

Movement
30 Aug 2011, 12:03am
Is it really necessary for us to get 64 slots? 48 is fine too.

harro
31 Aug 2011, 09:48am
An early 64 slot server for BF3 is a good idea IMO, because hosting servers for new games are a good way to get new people introduced to SG, because there's going to be a lot of ppl that don't have a regular server to go to, and if they happen to come across ours, they'll probably stay for a while.

andre1028
31 Aug 2011, 10:23am
A 32 slot io server would be fine too.

Metal
31 Aug 2011, 10:40am
A 32 slot io server would be fine too.
^
It would be cheaper and a bit easier for the starting of a new bf game

Tamahome
31 Aug 2011, 01:45pm
I dunno. I don't think a 64-slot server would be a waste at all since there's already gonna be a lot of people in the community playin, the game's popular as fuck, and it's new so there's probably gonna be shitloads of newcomers in the server everyday.

Metal
31 Aug 2011, 02:31pm
I dunno. I don't think a 64-slot server would be a waste at all since there's already gonna be a lot of people in the community playin, the game's popular as fuck, and it's new so there's probably gonna be shitloads of newcomers in the server everyday.

its better and safer to do 32 slots

Harry
31 Aug 2011, 02:51pm
its better and safer to do 32 slotsOr no one joins at all because everyone will want 64 slots unless it's really bad.

Metal
31 Aug 2011, 03:22pm
Or no one joins at all because everyone will want 64 slots unless it's really bad.

Well if the 32 slot stays full/active, upgrade

Harry
31 Aug 2011, 03:28pm
Well if the 32 slot stays full/active, upgradeI think you missed the point I was trying to convey.

Metal
31 Aug 2011, 03:52pm
I think you missed the point I was trying to convey.

Sorry busy eating cake.

Cromyth
1 Sep 2011, 11:58am
I like 64 servers since you can jump right into the action. Hopefully claymore/grenade/c4 spam won't happen like it did in BF2. So. Much. Rage.

Wall-Nut
2 Sep 2011, 11:37am
Start with low players like the normal 12v12. If people want more slots, start upgrading to 32,48,64.

harro
2 Sep 2011, 01:52pm
Starting low for a new game is bad IMO, because you're losing time to attract people that have not found a reg server to play on.

Hiphopopotomus
2 Sep 2011, 05:46pm
Just go for goddamn broke, we can afford the server. We either get the initial player base or the server will die. I personally only look for the 64 slot servers because I find them more realistic and entertaining. There is no need to be safe because we're paying for it anyways, just get a goddamn 64 slot and advertise the fuck out of it.

Tamahome
3 Sep 2011, 09:07pm
Start with low players like the normal 12v12. If people want more slots, start upgrading to 32,48,64.

If we start that low, the server will just die for sure....
I agree with Hippo. Just get the 64-man and advertise it to death. We don't really have much to lose and I doubt it won't be popular.
http://www.filemagazine.com/thecollection/archives/images/BrandIrony_Justdoit.jpg

duhoh
4 Sep 2011, 09:18am
64 slot is ONLY for conquest btw.

32 is max for rush. keep that in mind folks.

Tweezy
4 Sep 2011, 10:51am
64 slot is ONLY for conquest btw.

32 is max for rush. keep that in mind folks.

Rush is bad imo. 64 slot Conquest, fucking do it and see what happenes, SG isn't stuck for cash atm is it...

Metal
4 Sep 2011, 11:08am
Rush is bad imo. 64 slot Conquest, fucking do it and see what happenes, SG isn't stuck for cash atm is it...

Rush is far better than bc2 rush.
Were you even in the alpha?

Jazzyy
4 Sep 2011, 11:21am
Rush is far better than bc2 rush.
Were you even in the alpha?

rush was terrible and linear as fuck. the first stage was a complete fuckfest for defender. you are worse than a nintendo fanboy

Metal
4 Sep 2011, 01:33pm
Lol it was a linear map but still, you needed teamwork to win. Also wait till new rush maps are shown

duhoh
4 Sep 2011, 03:22pm

sure but there's no guarantee that this level of income can be maintained. rush is still incredibly popular, whatever your own opinions may be on it.

Metal
4 Sep 2011, 04:00pm
Thing is why only do half of a whole.
its the start of a new game, might aswell have all types/maps for a few months

Cromyth
5 Sep 2011, 12:03pm
Doesn't an open beta start this month sometime? I thought I read that in one of their blogs.

Tweezy
5 Sep 2011, 12:25pm
Doesn't an open beta start this month sometime? I thought I read that in one of their blogs.

I thought Beta started when MOH was released? (October)

Metal
5 Sep 2011, 12:33pm
Open beta is 4 days or a week after closed beta.

Cromyth
5 Sep 2011, 12:56pm
I thought Beta started when MOH was released? (October)

Well BF3 releases on the 25th of October so I'd assume that they would have beta before the release of the game a month or a few weeks in advance.

harro
7 Sep 2011, 09:23am
The thing is though, if we do manage to attract a full 64 slot server, the donations that come in will probably pay for the server itself, and the chances that we will get a full server are higher if we start early. If we don't which is HIGHLY unlikely, we can always downgrade to 32 or whatever the hell people want. Keep in mind that SG is one of the larger gaming communities out on the interwebz, so people from smaller communities which can't afford the 64 slot server may migrate to ours.

(THOUGH I REALLY CANT SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE I'VE ONLY DONATED $1 TOTAL)

Jazzyy
9 Sep 2011, 02:36pm
The thing is though, if we do manage to attract a full 64 slot server, the donations that come in will probably pay for the server itself, and the chances that we will get a full server are higher if we start early. If we don't which is HIGHLY unlikely, we can always downgrade to 32 or whatever the hell people want. Keep in mind that SG is one of the larger gaming communities out on the interwebz, so people from smaller communities which can't afford the 64 slot server may migrate to ours.

(THOUGH I REALLY CANT SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE I'VE ONLY DONATED $1 TOTAL)

the problem is that we are big but BF3 isn't remotely appealing to our demographic. our demographic is zombie mod/escape players and minigames. i think people neglect that the regulars on the forums are a minority considering there are countless more people that regularly join the server without getting involved in SG's forums

Tamahome
9 Sep 2011, 10:17pm
the problem is that we are big but BF3 isn't remotely appealing to our demographic. our demographic is zombie mod/escape players and minigames. i think people neglect that the regulars on the forums are a minority considering there are countless more people that regularly join the server without getting involved in SG's forums

True but you also have to remember that even though we are a minority, the people on the forums won't be the only people playing the server. I think it just being a 64-man server alone will attract a bunch of new people half(at least) of which will bother to check out the community and get involved. Of course that's just my opinion. It could possibly go the other way. I think it's a chance SG can afford to take though.

Metal
14 Sep 2011, 07:11pm
The beta is Ready to go, DICE is just waiting for Microsoft to give the ok.

Zeke
14 Sep 2011, 09:38pm
This page made it to the top of results in google search for "bf3 64 slot server"...

bf3 64 slot server - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=bf3+64+slot+server&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Nasu
15 Sep 2011, 04:04am
This page made it to the top of results in google search for "bf3 64 slot server"...

bf3 64 slot server - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=bf3+64+slot+server&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)
Google changes search results according to your site history, :x

Harry
15 Sep 2011, 04:25am
Google changes search results according to your site history, :xSure but I just tried it on a new random IP on a clean browser install and it was first result. Jazzy should change the first post and make $$$ hurr

Metal
22 Sep 2011, 11:18pm
are we getting one or not.

Elfbarf
22 Sep 2011, 11:50pm

Apparently Amit is too busy to manage the community so we're most likely not getting one.

Jazzyy
24 Sep 2011, 04:52pm

Apparently Amit is too busy to manage the community so we're most likely not getting one.

Metal
24 Sep 2011, 06:07pm
Didn't get Medal of Honor, but still want to be in the early beta for Battlefield 3 on September 27th? You do have an option though! Pre-ordering Battlefield 3 through EA's Origin system will grant you early access to the beta. Simply download Origin, login with your EA account (or create one), and visit the Battlefield 3 page for more details. Those who pre-order Battlefield 3 will also get access to the Physical Warfare Pack. You must pre-order through Origin by tomorrow (9/25) to get early access to the beta.

Buy it!

Tamahome
24 Sep 2011, 10:06pm
Buy it!

Don't do it, man! It's not worth it! >_<

Butters
27 Sep 2011, 01:07pm
Is this officially a no go?

Metal
28 Sep 2011, 06:56pm
Is this officially a no go?

No idea.

Dirk
28 Sep 2011, 08:40pm
okay so are the only servers available through EA only or can you get them from other sources/host your own?

Jazzyy
28 Sep 2011, 10:19pm
okay so are the only servers available through EA only or can you get them from other sources/host your own?

souunds like only ea authorized servers atm. when the game is released im sure you can rent servers thru ea-backed game server providers

Dirk
28 Sep 2011, 10:28pm
souunds like only ea authorized servers atm. when the game is released im sure you can rent servers thru ea-backed game server providers

Thats incredibly stupid. I want the albility to host my own damn servers.

Metal
29 Sep 2011, 12:53pm
Thats incredibly stupid. I want the albility to host my own damn servers.

You will not host the servers but you will control them.

Dirk
29 Sep 2011, 01:23pm
that requires paying money. hosting is free if you have the equipment.

minx_snipes
29 Sep 2011, 01:40pm
Why do we need 64? Thats alot of people 48 is just as good too, we dont want to many people on at once, and if it does get really popular, its called another server :D