PDA

View Full Version : A visualization of US debt

Ms. Blargh
27 Jul 2011, 09:40pm
Holy shit.

A visualization of US debt (credit card bill) stacked in 100 dollar bills (http://www.wtfnoway.com/)

APenguin
27 Jul 2011, 10:09pm
Ive seen things like this before, always cool though. Kinda makes you happy there are credit cards, fuck shoveling around pallets of Benjamins

Tweezy
28 Jul 2011, 06:03am
damn guys...

Zaraki
28 Jul 2011, 06:29am
And i thought belgium was fucked up.. :]

Jazzyy
28 Jul 2011, 06:58am
you guys are forgetting that we can easily pay this back.. the amount of money borrowed means absolutely jack shit because we have a high GDP. Countries like Britain, Greece, are much more fucked than us because we can easily pay back what we owe if we had a correct economic plan to do so.

Epsilon
28 Jul 2011, 07:24am
what is GDP?

A Loaf Pincher
28 Jul 2011, 07:25am
you guys are forgetting that we can easily pay this back...

Then how about you suggest the plan to Capitol Hill about fixing the debt? Because I sure as hell don't know how we can pay that back "easily".

Debt is a storm cloud around this country and normal citizens walk around like having a country in debt is a way of life. It'll be nearly impossible to pay it back in the amount of time with our dependence on foreign oil and shit like wars hanging over our heads. When I see stacks of $100 bills towering over the Empire State Building, that makes me nearly shit my pants to the point were they are unusable again aren't usable anymore.

Yes, we (USA) do have a high GDP, being a powerful Country. Staying powerful costs money. Our financial/housing crisis is up our ass but we still are fucked up and pay for stuff on a credit card left and right without realizing how much we're gaining or losing.

"Sure, let's buy a $600,000 house, but can we pay it back by the time the mortgage comes in? No? Oh well, I'll still keep buying shit off of infomercials and QVC all day."

This isn't pertained to all Americans, but to those affected (like my girlfriend's family) it really blows. It makes me really appreciate what I have. Hopefully our country will get out of it and not have any clouds looming on our heads.

Sure, the debt might be able to be "easily" paid off, but it comes at a higher price, c'est ironique.

That's my opinion, but I'm not saying I'm right.

what is GDP?

Gross Domestic Product - the market value of all goods and services produced by a country in a given period of time.

Epsilon
28 Jul 2011, 07:29am
that makes me nearly shit my pants to the point were they are unusable again.

I don't wanna know why this isn't first time this has happened

Drox
28 Jul 2011, 08:12am
you guys are forgetting that we can easily pay this back.. the amount of money borrowed means absolutely jack shit because we have a high GDP. Countries like Britain, Greece, are much more fucked than us because we can easily pay back what we owe if we had a correct economic plan to do so.

lol

Anyway, pretty crazy once you see it since to most people it's just a number.

Jazzyy
28 Jul 2011, 08:45am
Then how about you suggest the plan to Capitol Hill about fixing the debt? Because I sure as hell don't know how we can pay that back "easily".

Debt is a storm cloud around this country and normal citizens walk around like having a country in debt is a way of life. It'll be nearly impossible to pay it back in the amount of time with our dependence on foreign oil and shit like wars hanging over our heads. When I see stacks of $100 bills towering over the Empire State Building, that makes me nearly shit my pants to the point were they are unusable again aren't usable anymore.

Yes, we (USA) do have a high GDP, being a powerful Country. Staying powerful costs money. Our financial/housing crisis is up our ass but we still are fucked up and pay for stuff on a credit card left and right without realizing how much we're gaining or losing.

"Sure, let's buy a $600,000 house, but can we pay it back by the time the mortgage comes in? No? Oh well, I'll still keep buying shit off of infomercials and QVC all day."

This isn't pertained to all Americans, but to those affected (like my girlfriend's family) it really blows. It makes me really appreciate what I have. Hopefully our country will get out of it and not have any clouds looming on our heads.

Sure, the debt might be able to be "easily" paid off, but it comes at a higher price, c'est ironique.
we have 35% top tax rates and a 800b military budget.
when i say easily it means nothing is going to happen to you. you're a mid class citizen. you'd be paying the same amount of taxes as before. the problem is companies that are profiting 1b/yr and not paying taxes for it along with the rich only paying 35% income tax.

although it's a tea party slogan almost, federal spending is out of control as well. we can't expect to raise taxes and fix the economy, nor can we expect to cut federal spending and fix the economy. you need a mix of both. we need to boost education, or else we'll find ourselves having the work force equivalent to china. aka sweatshops.

understand i don't have the answers. if i did i wouldn't be discussing them on a fucking gaming forum, but to say the government is going down the right path is beyond conceivable. the easiest way to fix the economy is to boost tax rates. something the government isn't doing due to conflicting agreements between gop and dems

mapper
28 Jul 2011, 08:55am
holy shit! Nice find =)

Lux
28 Jul 2011, 11:54am

Lol, you can't throw Britain in the same boat as Greece....we're the ones bailing them out with billions of our taxpayer's money. Apparently it has cost each household (or person...I forget which) £300 ($490).

I haven't been checking up THAT much....but I'm pretty sure that Britain is a lot better off debt wise than the USA. You might have a greater GDP......but you also have a much bigger debt. It's not about how big or small the debt is......it is about the countries ability to pay it off.....and of course who it is owed to and what the interest rates are.......

How easy is it to pay off your debt? You seem to think that some magic strategy will make it disappear. Spending cuts will only go so far, and tax increases will only go so far.

You know you're fucked when you build up debts to clear other debts.....

A Loaf Pincher
28 Jul 2011, 12:01pm
Increase in taxing? Hmm, this all seems like Deja Vu to me.
Oh wait.

Look what that led to.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze %2C_MMA-NYC%2C_1851.jpg

Ms. Blargh
28 Jul 2011, 12:24pm
Uh the American revolution was started because of taxation without representation. Not because we were pissed that Britain increased our taxes...

A Loaf Pincher
28 Jul 2011, 12:34pm
Increased taxes on tea was another cause to revolution.

Sorry for topic switch.
:focus:

HZK
28 Jul 2011, 01:11pm

'Easily pay this back'

I would like to see that happen when the USA economy depends so much on borrowing. And how could you say that Britain is worse off than the USA? let alone in line with Greece.....

Drox
28 Jul 2011, 04:16pm
Raising taxes is a cute idea, considering most of our debt is owed to the taxpayers. :troll:

Lux
28 Jul 2011, 04:33pm
Oh wait.

Look what that led to.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware_by_Emanuel_Leutze %2C_MMA-NYC%2C_1851.jpg

Lol.

In other news, Greece and Spain are corrupt as shit and spend other people's money giving their people the good life.....and when then the bubble bursts, and the population wonder what happened.

Tax is not necessarily a bad thing, it depends on how it is used.

Raising taxes is a cute idea, considering most of our debt is owed to the taxpayers. :troll:

The American taxpayer? I think the very "cute" point you are bringing up is exactly why such an idea seems stupid. How can a country owe money to it's taxpayers? The government represents and spends on behalf of the taxpayer, so you'd think they would just say "Wait a minute.....let's just wipe our own debt?".

Geez....the political knots countries get themselves into.....:crazy:

Drox
28 Jul 2011, 05:43pm
The American taxpayer? I think the very "cute" point you are bringing up is exactly why such an idea seems stupid. How can a country owe money to it's taxpayers? The government represents and spends on behalf of the taxpayer, so you'd think they would just say "Wait a minute.....let's just wipe our own debt?".

Geez....the political knots countries get themselves into.....:crazy:

Well we still owe a lot of countries like China, Japan, UK, Saudi Arabia, ect. Really it's about 12 percent of the debt is for the American Citizens and US Institutions. Which China comes in at 9.8 percent of the debt (Which is 2nd place). Our government just dug us in a hole, and it seems our elected officials think the only way out of a hole is to dig deeper. Then both parties blame the other party when we can't climb out, while we keep spending trillions on waging 2 wars and funding a 3rd for NATO. lol

PotshotPolka
28 Jul 2011, 08:03pm
I haven't been checking up THAT much....but I'm pretty sure that Britain is a lot better off debt wise than the USA. You might have a greater GDP......but you also have a much bigger debt. It's not about how big or small the debt is......it is about the countries ability to pay it off.....and of course who it is owed to and what the interest rates are.......

List of National Debt by Country | Economics Blog (http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/economics/list-of-national-debt-by-country/)

We're actually fairly down the pecking order, we're just particularly loud about it. It's say's it's below 60%, but this is outstanding debt in the form of bonds, the other near 40% of GDP is obligations to federal programs.

Oh wait.

Look what that led to.

DIAF.

Harpr33t
30 Jul 2011, 12:05pm
TAX THE RICH!!!!!

Epsilon
30 Jul 2011, 07:12pm
TAX THE RICH!!!!!

too smart
the government must find a way to totally screw it up first