PDA

View Full Version : Banana Joe's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

Banana Joe
27 Jun 2011, 05:09pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Trying to... Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Avast Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Sharkgaming What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
TRENDnet TEW-623PI N Please state your problem here
First of all, I'm not sure that it's the TRENDnet thing that's the evil doer, but just listing in case it's that. Atm I'm trying to download drivers for it(again), but, it got me confused.. I'll post some pics of what it shows, after clicking drivers --> Windows 7:
http://i.imgur.com/aqLHx.png

This is the things I get when I open x64(I guess it's that, since I'm running 64bit, though it's a bit confusing since it also says x86, and haven't heard of 86bit...)
http://i.imgur.com/4wDAN.png

So, since I got my computer around a month ago, I've been randomly getting some massive lag spikes (I sometimes get 1000+ ping in CSS and 1500+ ping on vent), and it's really frustrating. Also, sometimes when I join a server, I completely lose the connection to the internet. I hope that's it's just the drivers, but I still need some help at those..

Thanks,
~Banana Joe!

MindGames
27 Jun 2011, 07:51pm
It looks like you have a problem with your ISP there, not your computer, take a look here: Speakeasy - Speed Test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/) and post your results when you get back, here are mine:

Download Speed: 12494 kbps (1561.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4074 kbps (509.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Sniper
27 Jun 2011, 08:34pm
Use the x64 drivers if you have a 64-bit computer. 86x actually refers to a 32-bit system though I don't know why they just say 32-bit.

Banana Joe
28 Jun 2011, 04:31pm
It looks like you have a problem with your ISP there, not your computer, take a look here: Speakeasy - Speed Test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/) and post your results when you get back, here are mine:

Download Speed: 12494 kbps (1561.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4074 kbps (509.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I got:
4.33 Mbps down
0.71 Mbps up

I don't know if it affects anything that I live in Denmark, and only got citys from USA to choose from.

Use the x64 drivers if you have a 64-bit computer. 86x actually refers to a 32-bit system though I don't know why they just say 32-bit.

Oh alright. When opening the x64, it shows the things I listed. The 3rd and 5th option are the only one that isn't something text-ish, but when I try to open them, they come up with a warning, saying that it's a systemfile, used by the operating system, and if I change or delete something, it might damage the system. Is it safe to open them?

Edit: Also, when using faceobok, it runs fine for 5-15 minutes, then starts being slow as hell, until I close it and open it again. This haven't happened for other sites, so I don't know if that's something I should mention, but just throwing it out.

MindGames
28 Jun 2011, 06:34pm
Edit: Also, when using faceobok, it runs fine for 5-15 minutes, then starts being slow as hell, until I close it and open it again. This haven't happened for other sites, so I don't know if that's something I should mention, but just throwing it out.

See, if you are having problems on your internet browser also, it is no doubt your ISP, has nothing to do with the actual computer, I used to have the same problem, only solution I can recommend is call them up and complain, or just switch all together. The reason the other sites work fine is because most of it is saved on your Cache, try deleting your cache and then browsing through another website, it should be just as slow.

Banana Joe
28 Jun 2011, 08:10pm
See, if you are having problems on your internet browser also, it is no doubt your ISP, has nothing to do with the actual computer, I used to have the same problem, only solution I can recommend is call them up and complain, or just switch all together. The reason the other sites work fine is because most of it is saved on your Cache, try deleting your cache and then browsing through another website, it should be just as slow.

Alright, thanks for the help, will try and hear them.

MindGames
28 Jun 2011, 09:11pm
Alright, thanks for the help, will try and hear them.

Thanks appreciated and very accepted ;)

Shadowex3
30 Jun 2011, 10:42pm
Ok couple things here: First x86 is the name of the instruction set that modern consumer processors use. x64 is actually a shortcut for x86-64. Second those files you're messing with are not actually something mere mortals should touch, those are system resources that the OS uses. They are NOT actually driver files for you to install or choose.

Moving along the facebook problem sounds more like your browser has a memory leak or facebook itself is causing problems (which is possible, I have problems just with FB on occasion too). The lag could be from your ISP dicking with you which seems unlikely since unlike america you guys have, yknow, laws about fucking consumers for no reason so I'd guess it's your antivirus programs. Try shutting them off completely and seeing what happens.

La te ra lus
30 Jun 2011, 11:45pm
Forwarding your ports wont hurt either. All you need to do is find your routers model # and look it up at portforward.com (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fportforward.com%2F&rct=j&q=port%20foward&ei=zV4NTuK7C8f10gH7q_yzDg&usg=AFQjCNGu_qYU6-tf3mWUVa0U9cdojxVZ4w&sig2=yB7ixlQdIK8AuMYxn04OMA&cad=rja) . After you find the #, find the game/Ventrilo and the website will tell you what ports to forward for your specific router.

Tweezy
2 Jul 2011, 04:35am
Forwarding your ports wont hurt either. All you need to do is find your routers model # and look it up at portforward.com (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fportforward.com%2F&rct=j&q=port%20foward&ei=zV4NTuK7C8f10gH7q_yzDg&usg=AFQjCNGu_qYU6-tf3mWUVa0U9cdojxVZ4w&sig2=yB7ixlQdIK8AuMYxn04OMA&cad=rja) . After you find the #, find the game/Ventrilo and the website will tell you what ports to forward for your specific router.

Forwarding your ports should only be done if you wish to host shizzle. Once a port is opened you are allowing people to connect to you on a specific port, like a gateway though you're firewall.

So yeah, only portforward when wanting to host things.

I can't really add much more.

Banana Joe
2 Jul 2011, 06:18am
Ok couple things here: First x86 is the name of the instruction set that modern consumer processors use. x64 is actually a shortcut for x86-64. Second those files you're messing with are not actually something mere mortals should touch, those are system resources that the OS uses. They are NOT actually driver files for you to install or choose.

Moving along the facebook problem sounds more like your browser has a memory leak or facebook itself is causing problems (which is possible, I have problems just with FB on occasion too). The lag could be from your ISP dicking with you which seems unlikely since unlike america you guys have, yknow, laws about fucking consumers for no reason so I'd guess it's your antivirus programs. Try shutting them off completely and seeing what happens.

Alright, I won't touch those files anymore.

And about the FB problem, I'll try what you suggested whenever I get home and then post the results(which would be some time monday). If it's my antivirus, do you know of any antivirus that doesn't fuck up, or is less likely to fuck up?

Thanks again.

Shadowex3
4 Jul 2011, 05:51pm
Malwarebytes and spybot are both excellent and work well together.

Banana Joe
4 Jul 2011, 06:18pm
Malwarebytes and spybot are both excellent and work well together.

Should I delete Avast then? I'm also running ZoneAlarm, can't remember if I listed that, haven't had a problem with it ever though, used it on my old computer.

Shadowex3
8 Jul 2011, 12:16am
It's always worth a shot to see if that was what was causing problems, shouldn't take long to confirm if it was. If not you can go right back to using it, although having ALL of those is pretty overkill.

Banana Joe
14 Jul 2011, 01:55pm
Alright, I've downloaded MalwareBytes and Spybot Search & Destroy, and deleted Avast. First off, windows doesn't detect either of them as an AntiVirus, so do they still protect me the same way as Avast would?

About the facebook slow down, I'll try and see if it still happens.

Again, thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Shadowex3
21 Jul 2011, 07:25pm
The line between antimalware and antivirus is really an arbitrary one drawn pretty much just by the guys selling for-pay antivirus programs. Malwarebytes is basically considered THE anti-malware program across the internet, and Spybot makes an excellent backup program as it can immunize you periodically. Sorry about the delay getting back to you, crazy shit in meatspace.

Banana Joe
22 Jul 2011, 03:28pm
The line between antimalware and antivirus is really an arbitrary one drawn pretty much just by the guys selling for-pay antivirus programs. Malwarebytes is basically considered THE anti-malware program across the internet, and Spybot makes an excellent backup program as it can immunize you periodically. Sorry about the delay getting back to you, crazy shit in meatspace.

I see, alright. Should I delete ZoneAlarm too, since I know that I might get trouble with it later on with various stuff, or does it offer some sort of protection that I won't get with Malwarebytes and Spybot?

And your timing is actually perfect, because I haven't been on the net since sunday anyways, so had it been 4 days earlier you had written, there wouldn't have been any difference.

About the internet problem, I guess you can mark it as fixed or whatsoever, deleting Avast didn't really do much, but haven't encountered the facebook problem since, so I guess that was good, but I don't think that there's more than that I can do, other than calling my ISP or getting a new one. So thanks for all the help, and for spending some of your time on me!

Shadowex3
22 Jul 2011, 06:37pm
Sorry we couldn't fix more but sometimes shits broken in the strangest place. I used to have a ton of what seemed like latency issues mainly because the wiring right inside my wall's outlet, the one place every tech had refused to check because they always blamed my setup, was practically rusted out and had bare wires arcing onto things.

Banana Joe
23 Jul 2011, 07:14am
Sorry we couldn't fix more but sometimes shits broken in the strangest place. I used to have a ton of what seemed like latency issues mainly because the wiring right inside my wall's outlet, the one place every tech had refused to check because they always blamed my setup, was practically rusted out and had bare wires arcing onto things.

It's alright, I mean, IF it ends up being my ISP being a big retard, there isn't anything else I could do anyways. The strangest thing is though, now that I think about it, I should probably have mentioned it before, but yeah, it has only been me and my brother who had issues with the internet, my mum and sister haven't had any problems, so that's also kind of strange..

But anyways, I hope that contacting them etc will help, if not, well, then I got a new situation.