PDA

View Full Version : New TF2 Server?

Ultramarine
24 Jun 2011, 11:13am
Now that TF2 has been made Free by Valve, maybe SG should look into having a TF2 server again, except this time have it be a real server, not that 24/7 Balloon race crap that was doomed to die from the start.

With TF2 being Free, everyone in our community here will be able to play it on our server(s), and it would be another place were more people would be introduced to SG.

We could have a 24/7 2Fort or some other popular map to build a large player base in TF2 (which will be easy with it being Free), then we can expand it for other maps, game modes, etc etc.

HZK
24 Jun 2011, 11:37am
Actually the most popular servers on these games have a rotation of about the top 10 most played maps.

But yeah, that's a good idea.

Harry
24 Jun 2011, 11:39am
It's just hackers now that it's free. It'd be cool with it being 100% Vanilla though (so it can partake in matchmaking system = a ton more players). The dedi probably can't handle it though :p

Octa
24 Jun 2011, 11:44am
We could have a 24/7 2Fort

24/7 2Fort

2Fort

FORT

OR

Not. Lol.

But, all in all, 2Fort is probably the best map, I just think the same map gets old...

Elfbarf
24 Jun 2011, 11:49am
It's just hackers now that it's free. It'd be cool with it being 100% Vanilla though (so it can partake in matchmaking system = a ton more players). The dedi probably can't handle it though :p

Hackers, kids, and BRs.

Anyone that actually wanted to play TF2 have bought it by now, its been <$5 countless times.

Empire Strikes Black
24 Jun 2011, 12:08pm
please no 24/7 2fort nor balloon race.

Jazzyy
24 Jun 2011, 12:56pm
tf2 is ruined now. vac takes like a week to ban hackers so people basically are going to get away with hacking for a week, get banned, make a new account, rinse and repeat.

also tf2 has been awful for the past 2 years now anyway.

Metal
24 Jun 2011, 01:03pm
Nah, Its F2P.

Trogdor
24 Jun 2011, 01:18pm
Now that TF2 has been made Free by Valve, maybe SG should look into having a TF2 server again, except this time have it be a real server, not that 24/7 Balloon race crap that was doomed to die from the start.

With TF2 being Free, everyone in our community here will be able to play it on our server(s), and it would be another place were more people would be introduced to SG.

We could have a 24/7 2Fort or some other popular map to build a large player base in TF2 (which will be easy with it being Free), then we can expand it for other maps, game modes, etc etc.

I feel like somewhere in your post you hinted at TF2 being free.

Harbor
24 Jun 2011, 01:28pm
You can get a plugin to ban free accounts as they join. its very helpful.

b0red
24 Jun 2011, 03:23pm
Its called a IP ban.

floffypus
24 Jun 2011, 04:20pm
goood idea! put about that plugin. Will it ban everyone that have got the free tf2 or just accounts that only have the free tf2 on it?..

Sniper
24 Jun 2011, 08:29pm
I support a new tf2 server.

Im a Jackass
24 Jun 2011, 10:57pm
tf2 is ruined now. vac takes like a week to ban hackers so people basically are going to get away with hacking for a week, get banned, make a new account, rinse and repeat.

also tf2 has been awful for the past 2 years now anyway.

that is true the game is crap nopw all people care about are Hats. People call themselfs "collectors" and it makes me sad. Its not even a real thing just a shitty hat. People dont play the game to shoot and kill stuff they play the game to get stuff that they think will be "worth" something when its "old" Pointless game now not even worth it.

Guy
25 Jun 2011, 02:38am
I say we should run a TF2 server, rotation of popular maps, and use this plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=160049

Now people might complain and say that excludes player base, but anybody can buy just 1 item from the cash shop to become premium.
Running the server with that mod would keep the vac ban system working like it should in regards to hackers, and also deter any kind of ban evasion.

Harry
25 Jun 2011, 03:11am
The problem with banning all F2P players is that you ultimately disable the matchmaking system (which is the only thing that would ever get the server to remain populated, considering most oldfags to TF2 already have their own favorite servers).

And it's not like hackers wouldn't just buy a 50 cent item from the store just to shit on your faces :p

Banana Joe
25 Jun 2011, 05:40am
Eh, so because I won't spend my money on a game that's free now anyways, I can't play if SG gets a server? Or what?

Im a Jackass
25 Jun 2011, 03:29pm
Eh, so because I won't spend my money on a game that's free now anyways, I can't play if SG gets a server? Or what?

I think thats what they are saying. A tf2 server would be nice IF it was played the way it should be played (shooting and Killing) Not just have people sit there and cry about tradeing and not alot of people in SG seem to play tf2 that much even when its F2P.

ExRev
25 Jun 2011, 05:41pm
I pop into Tf2 from time to time, to see if I can ever have fun with it again. And honestly if SG got a server and some of my friends here actually played I'd play more. But if you'd require me to spend more money with TF2 to be able to play on SG's server? No thanks. I'll stick with CSS and TTT.

Jazzyy
26 Jun 2011, 10:37am
enabling that plugin would ultimately just kill the server anyway, we've tried tf2 before (and once before that too?) and it died, so i mean f2pers are really your only shot to becoming even remotely filled.

Repus
26 Jun 2011, 10:55am
I have been playing tf2 for while now and I want SG server again! again ( this would be at least our third). Maps should be offical and top custom map rotation.

I would allow f2p players in, we have admins to ban them if needed and valve has something for them too:

Q. Won’t going Free to Play mean more griefers and cheaters?

We’re increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can’t ruin your fun. Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly.

For those who hate tf2 for the hats; why do you care if someone enjoys collecting hats? You might enjoy something they don't and they are not bitching to you .(not all of them at least)

Im a Jackass
26 Jun 2011, 01:29pm
I have been playing tf2 for while now and I want SG server again! again ( this would be at least our third). Maps should be offical and top custom map rotation.

I would allow f2p players in, we have admins to ban them if needed and valve has something for them too:

For those who hate tf2 for the hats; why do you care if someone enjoys collecting hats? You might enjoy something they don't and they are not bitching to you .(not all of them at least)

I dont care if they do or do not Im just sick of hearing people spam the chat saying "tradeing hat for gold" or somebull shit and it just makes me want to knife a baby to hear people obsesse with hats Im fine if people want to collect hats and stuff but when they bug me about tradeing something with them then I get sick of it. THats kind of why I gave every thing away I had in tf2.

gamer6463@hotmail.co.uk
26 Jun 2011, 03:24pm
I dont care if they do or do not Im just sick of hearing people spam the chat saying "tradeing hat for gold" or somebull shit and it just makes me want to knife a baby to hear people obsesse with hats Im fine if people want to collect hats and stuff but when they bug me about tradeing something with them then I get sick of it. THats kind of why I gave every thing away I had in tf2.

hud_saytext_time 0

Nishok
26 Jun 2011, 07:34pm
http://www.steamgamers.com/forum/community-announcements/47651-server-changes.html

2DG
27 Jun 2011, 09:12am

I c a collector thar!

Turtlefiish
27 Jun 2011, 02:17pm
I say we should run a TF2 server, rotation of popular maps, and use this plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=160049

Now people might complain and say that excludes player base, but anybody can buy just 1 item from the cash shop to become premium.
Running the server with that mod would keep the vac ban system working like it should in regards to hackers, and also deter any kind of ban evasion.

Yeah, kinda mean to block about 40,000 players because of a tiny majority. Understandable argument if you are stopping say 5,000ish people, but beyond that is just plain absurd.

Looking at that script thingy, go TF2 community for being larger elitist cocks then I expected:

"Are you fed up with your server full of people that don't know one end of the direct miss from the other?"

"Or just people that haven't contributed some of their hard earned cash to your favourite war-themed hat simulator?"

Wow.

high rws
30 Jun 2011, 03:22pm
NO. A PREMIUM SERVER ONLY. I heard about some plug in going around that blocks free players. if you're going to have a tf2 server, PREMIUM ONLY PLEASE