PDA

View Full Version : (2nd Suggestion) Potential admin app. process modification

Blank
1 May 2008, 07:35pm
I brought this idea to vent a couple of days ago, I thought I would go ahead and make it official. I have a second idea for admin application process.

Okay, so my point system suggestion didn't gather too much support. I don't consider it a failure because I have learned a lot about what our community thinks of our admin process. I have developed a second idea, one that may make more sense.

One complaint concerning admin applications was the lack/nonexistence of forum activity. I agree, an admin app. with less then 10 posts will either, take weeks to get approval, or not get approved at all.

A second complaint was that, of the individuals applying for admin, few were known before they applied for admin. It is difficult to gauge the true nature of a player, once they have applied for admin. It would seem very unlikely that this person would cause any problems in the server if they knew someone was watching them.

I would like to propose that, once this process is refined, all future admin applications require the sponsorship of at least one current admin. The sponsor admin will be the creator of the admin application thread. In this original post, the sponsor would give as much background info as possible concerning the person applying. Some suggestions for this post would be items such as, "How long you have know this person", "Why you think this person should be admin", and "Your thoughts concerning this person." Vital info, Steam ID, age, etc., will be provided by the player in a post within this thread. Once the original post is created, then anyone will be allowed to post their thoughts, just as we are now.

But, I don't think the sponsor admin should be considered responsible for the admin applicant. The purpose of this process is to allow us to to get to know the applicant, and for the applicant to learn about SG before they apply for admin.

I think this may not be necessary at this point. But once we reach the vicinity of 100 current admins, a change may be necessary to retain the validity of the application process.

Once again, I am interested to know what everyone thinks of the idea. If this is a failure as well, I'll take the data from this thread and develop another method. Thanks for reading, I look forward to your thoughts.

Your wingman,

Blank

Itch
1 May 2008, 08:26pm
I like the idea.. It assures that at least one admin knows the player well enough to vouch for them.

The only downside is that no one in their right mind would sponsor me! :001_tt2:

Hazardous
1 May 2008, 08:36pm
U Sir R Teh Smart Guy

Blank
2 May 2008, 06:13am
I see a couple of problems with this concept:

This may way over restrict the number of applications we receive.

I don't want to discourage applicants, I just want them to become familiar with our protocol here at SG. Unfortunately, requiring someone to find an sponsor may dishearten all but the most determined applicants.
Also, our admins may be overly cautious in sponsoring applicants.

This is why I don't believe that a sponsor should not be accountable for their applicants. My sponsor concept is simply for the applicants to find someone to help them integrate into our community and to guide them thru the application process. In the past few months, I have witnessed a few people that I would have gladly sponsored. But in retrospect, they have tanked as admins. This is why the three strike concept is good. If someone turn out to be a jerk, he can be dealt with.

Jaffa
2 May 2008, 06:22am
I think one issue that may arise through this is that admins will be pestered by a lot of players to sponser them