PDA

View Full Version : Overclock

Okdar
1 May 2008, 10:03am
does anyone know how to overclock? :confused1:

Itch
1 May 2008, 10:10am
There are a lot of variables..
Are you talking video card or processor.. or even RAM?

Okdar
1 May 2008, 10:13am
dang so close I almost got it right =) I made it not say buy Admin/Reserved slots.

Okdar
1 May 2008, 10:14am
processor

Itch
1 May 2008, 10:18am
Depends on motherboard and processor.

What do you have?

Okdar
1 May 2008, 10:25am
hmmm. I will have to look later.

EvInReaLife
1 May 2008, 01:04pm
Overclocking=how im able to run Crysis

Tcp-Kill
1 May 2008, 01:18pm
OCing is very dangerous, may fry your CPU or somthing

Misanthrope
1 May 2008, 01:19pm
OCing is very dangerous, may fry your CPU or somthing

It's only dangerous if you're dumb enough to jump half a gigahert on your first try.

Itch
1 May 2008, 01:22pm
Although I usually recommend that you spend a little more cash and don't overclock.. there are times where it comes in handy..

Obviously you should always step up slowly and monitor temps closely.

Tcp-Kill
1 May 2008, 02:03pm
It's only dangerous if you're dumb enough to jump half a gigahert on your first try.

Lol, my mate blew up his CPU and graphics card by being a dick weed

Omar
1 May 2008, 02:38pm
i dont think it matter if u want 2 overclock a cpu
when u overclock it will be hotter and if u dont and play some game not recommended for the cpu then it gets hotter 2 its the same thing , its not like if u dont overclock ur cpu is gonna fry , i mean look at me i have 2,4 cpu and it still can run crysis

Molotov
1 May 2008, 04:48pm

Which my friend did. He had a sweet setup, watercooled, clear case, the whole sha-banga bang. Then he overclocked it so much the motherboard caught on fire. Literally, on fire. Totally wasted all the effort he had put into that computer .

Captain Colon
1 May 2008, 06:26pm
i dont think it matter if u want 2 overclock a cpu
when u overclock it will be hotter and if u dont and play some game not recommended for the cpu then it gets hotter 2 its the same thing , its not like if u dont overclock ur cpu is gonna fry , i mean look at me i have 2,4 cpu and it still can run crysis
This isn't always true...temperature is generally a function of voltage more than clock speed. If you can overclock without increasing your core voltage then there probably won't be a big temperature jump. Likewise, if you lower your core voltage with the same clock speed, your temperatures should decrease.

nightmarejr
1 May 2008, 08:08pm
I keep arguing with people about these myths. I overclock alot and pretty much most of my comps are overclocked. now lets get started shall we?

Frying your cpu- How to...
1. Raising the voltage on your cpu
This is probably the one and major cause besides lack of cooling thatll kill your enitre pc. Heat circulated and the overall tempature will raise in your case which is not good for temp. sensitive chips like your gpu and your chipsets (eg. North/south bridge).

2. Lack of cooling
Always... I mean ALWAYS have a good enough exhaust flowing out and up away from your components. Having a negative pressure in your case is better then having too much air. Also, tidy up your wires. If youre not using sata wires or have the old school ide cables. wrap them, fold them, tuck them away or do what ever it takes so its nice and clean.

Long term oc.
1. If you can overclock without raising voltage youre good. Electron migration will start to happen if you raise it too much. This is basiclaly your chipset turns into a copper plate which freely lets the electrons flow.

2. Breaking in your new components is always a good thing. Running at stock speeds 100% for 24 hours. There is a debate whether this is good or not but if you really look at the facts, if its going to break itll be within the warrenty time.

3. Optimize your overclocks in conjunction with ram. Sometimes you can get faster speeds with just ram instead of muscling your way with cpu speed. Cpu/ram ratio is always key.

4. Buy a nice cooling system.

meh i got lazy writing everything, www.extremeoverclocking.com has alot of info.

Zero001
1 May 2008, 08:17pm
I don't keep my CPU overclocked. I don't need the speed, but I jumped 1.1GHz on the first attempt and it was stable. No voltage increase necessary. I just set the CPU's multiplier to my highest rated settings (x8) and pushed the FSB to meet a 1:1 ratio with my RAM (400mhz). I'll do it again and post a screen shot tomorrow, too lazy to restart my computer right now. For those of you wondering 400 x 8 = 3.2Ghz

Not overclocked my temps are always in the 20's, it might hit 30-31 after a while under full load. The OC added 10-15 degrees Celsius, which it completely safe considering the CPU is rated to run safely in the 60's. I have a good heat sink & fan (CNPS9700), along with a good flowing case (Antec 900).

Your overclock is completely dependent on your motherboard and cpu, so everyones attempts will be different. Having a good heat sink and fan is very important, do not attempt an OC on a stock cooler. A good motherboard will just shutdown and restart under normal loads if you mess up.

Zero001
2 May 2008, 01:39pm
As promised, 3.2GHz and my CPU didn't blow up. If you have the proper hardware, and you take the proper precautions, overclocking isn't anything to be afraid.

Italian Jew
2 May 2008, 02:14pm
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/1559510790_c3b0704e4c_o.jpg

BE AFRAID!!!! :tongue_smilie:

Tcp-Kill
2 May 2008, 02:30pm
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/1559510790_c3b0704e4c_o.jpg

BE AFRAID!!!! :tongue_smilie:

thats jews pc when he OC it too far

Italian Jew
2 May 2008, 02:42pm
I don't even attempt to overclock it, but if I tried...yeah, pretty much. :laugh:

If you have those 1950's bomb shelters, use them. Also, desks might work as well.

Captain Colon
2 May 2008, 03:26pm
As promised, 3.2GHz and my CPU didn't blow up. If you have the proper hardware, and you take the proper precautions, overclocking isn't anything to be afraid.
But have you ran CPU Burn In on it for a day? :wink:

Zero001
3 May 2008, 01:33am
But have you ran CPU Burn In on it for a day? :wink:

It is Prime stable for over 24 hours. Did it back when I first OC'd. I just didn't like the temps. I can overclock to 2.8GHz and not get a single degree increase in temps, which I probably run the computer on that when its necessary.

Zero001
3 May 2008, 06:39am
Decided to OC to 2.8GHz and after a couple rounds of CS:S and a few more in C&C3 my temps are still normal. I think I'm going to keep it this way :laugh:

Check out the sweet 22 degrees Celsius. It's almost room temperature.