PDA

View Full Version : Epsilon's Other Issues(please be detailed)

Epsilon
12 Apr 2011, 09:18am
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Other Issues(please be detailed) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Yes Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Microsoft Security Essentials Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Lenovo What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
- Please state your problem here
I'm not really sure if it is an issue but it has been bugging me. There is a partition on my HDD that I didn't make and I am completely locked out of it. I can't take ownership and I can't delete it either. If I go into disk management it says it is supposedly taking up 14gb and has no assigned drive letter while in my computer it takes drive Q. It wasn't there when I first got my laptop either.

t8rtits
24 Apr 2011, 08:26am
That is your recovery partition, Lenovo has gotten cheap and figures why give you a cd to restore your computer when you can just restore right off the hard drive. but i would advise against removing that partition because if your OS STB then you have to reinstall everything manually.

Epsilon
24 Apr 2011, 08:39am
No its actually a totally different partition from that lenovo(drive D: ) gives you as I can take control and wipe that one
But this drive has no ownership, isn't formatted, I'm locked out of it(completely) and has this random drive letter (Q: )
I would have posted pics but the upload manager doesn't work for me
but thanks for replying

t8rtits
24 Apr 2011, 09:14am
when did you first notice this drive show up???

Epsilon
24 Apr 2011, 09:38am
After cancelling an install/download for Microsoft Office...

t8rtits
25 Apr 2011, 11:47am
that seems very odd, i see that you are running windows 7, have you upgraded it to SP1, and also what version of windows 7 are you running (home premium, home basic, business, ultimate).ALSO you may have to reboot into safe mode and try to blow the partition OR use some 3rd party software to remove the partition, then you should be able to reclaim the space by extending your partition through the disk management MMC

Tweezy
25 Apr 2011, 12:37pm
Epsilon, I want to try remote assistance to try some things out, if you could download Teamviewer then message me your ID/Pass I can get to work asap.

Thanks

Shadowex3
27 Apr 2011, 09:50am
Something else to try: Boot up an ubuntu liveCD and take a look at it in gparted or something.

Epsilon
28 Apr 2011, 05:52am
Epsilon, I want to try remote assistance to try some things out, if you could download Teamviewer then message me your ID/Pass I can get to work asap.

Thanks

Ok Ill let you know when I get it because I'm in school right now

@shadow
I have never used ubuntu before is it easy??

Harry
28 Apr 2011, 05:53am

@shadow
It's "different", but not too difficult I think. Has a bit of a learning curve, but shouldn't be too hard if you read a simple guide on how to do it.

Shadowex3
28 Apr 2011, 04:09pm

@shadow

If you've ever used OSX you'll be right at home, otherwise it'll be a little different but more or less fine. Basically until it asks you for the root password you're not doing anything capable of breaking something.

Epsilon
30 May 2011, 07:20pm
To everyone who attempted to help I want to let you know I fixed the problem
After cleaning my computer and deleting(through control panel) Microsoft office 2010 click-to-run the partition had went away

So I guess it was microsoft that had put that partition on my laptop since that was really the only thing I had gotten rid of and the partition only showed up after cancelling halfway through the install for office 2010

doesn't make much sense to me but weirder stuff has happened