PDA

View Full Version : Bob Loblaw's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

Bob Loblaw
22 Mar 2011, 02:10pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Kaspersky-Expired (Because I never use this laptop, so I'm pretty sure it's not a virus. Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
HP What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Not sure Please state your problem here
I don't use this laptop anymore because the screen is mass cracked. It's a tiny netbook, but I've never had problems before.

Now it says it's connected to our wifi and says signal strength is excellent but when I open up internet (explorer, or google chrome) it can't open any web pages or anything because it says it's not connected.

The last thing I was doing with it (when it was working) ~2 weeks ago was trying to bridge wifi/ethernet connections to use the wifi from my laptop and send it via ethernet cable to my friends computer (didn't work lol).

Now internet doesn't work. Any ideas? I don't think it's bridged (i looked and it doesn't look like it is but...)

Wired internet still works.

More: When I click "repair" it gets to this:
"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Clearing the DNS cache

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

I looked it up and went to command prompt and put in ipconfig /flushdns and I got this:

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

Edit: I followed the instructions here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/09/09/fix-could-not-flush-the-dns-resolved-cache-function-failed-during-execution-when-flushing-dns/

And I fixed the fact I couldn't flush my DNS. Then I successfully flushed my DNS, but the internet still isn't working.

Spiffy
22 Mar 2011, 02:25pm
Try this first: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919746

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
In the list of services, click DNS Client.
Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.
If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.
In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.
Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

Bob Loblaw
22 Mar 2011, 02:27pm
Try this first: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919746

Yep actually just found that a couple mins ago and tried it and it flushed properly. But internet still doesn't work.

Spiffy
22 Mar 2011, 02:29pm
What browser are you using? Go into options and make sure that the proxy settings aren't checked.

What does it say now when you try to repair?

Bob Loblaw
22 Mar 2011, 02:33pm
What browser are you using? Go into options and make sure that the proxy settings aren't checked.

What does it say now when you try to repair?

I tried chrome + IE

Spiffy
22 Mar 2011, 02:36pm
EDIT: It ended up being a manually set IP address without a gateway for some reason.

Bob Loblaw
22 Mar 2011, 03:13pm
Thanks for the help Spiffy!