PDA

View Full Version : America: At war with Libya

Octa
20 Mar 2011, 10:05am
Most of you have probably heard by now, but I just wanted to make the thread. What do you guys think? I hear the UN has joined in, but did America really need to take the lead in yet another war?

Edit: I do have to say, I posted this in the wrong thread. I must have been really tired o.O

MPQC
20 Mar 2011, 10:11am
http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/DDG-12%20Standard%20Missile%20Launch.jpg

President Obama authorized limited military action against Libya on Saturday, saying Moammar Gadhafi's continued assault on his own people left the U.S. and its international partners with no other choice.

"This is not an outcome the U.S. or any of our partners sought," Obama said from Brazil, where he is starting a five-day visit to Latin America. "We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy."

Navy Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, director of the Pentagon's Joint Staff, told reporters that U.S. and British ships launched more than 100 missiles on Libyan air defenses in an effort to lay down protection for a no-fly zone. The missiles targeted Libya's defense system, including "surface-to-air missiles sites, early warning sites and key communication nodes."

Gortney said they hit more than 20 sites along the Mediterranean coastline, but the success of the mission, dubbed Odyssey Dawn, was not immediately clear.

The head of Libya's parliament, Mohammed Abul-Qassim al-Zwai, called the strikes "barbaric" and insisted Libya had kept its promise of a cease-fire.

"This aggression will not weaken us," he said.

Source (http://www.npr.org/2011/03/20/134673008/attacks-reported-despite-gadhafis-cease-fire-vow)

Newest news as far as I can tell.

SilentGuns
20 Mar 2011, 10:41am
90 % about oil

10 % about actually helping people.

If you dont see it then you are ignorant as hell.

-------------------------------------------

However I support this . Gaddafi is a psycopath who needs to be topled from power.

Crazy Swede
20 Mar 2011, 11:21am
90 % about oil

Adds to my list....
If I want to be dictator of a country without other countries to involve...

[X] Make sure to not have oil

Anyhow...
I allso support what they are doing. But it's a shame there's dictatorship countries that doesn't have oil. Then every country would by now probably become a democratic country.

iNorris
20 Mar 2011, 12:52pm
Is that a SAM? Pshhh...there's a reason we have a stockpile of nukes...

SgtJoo
20 Mar 2011, 02:03pm
90 % about oil

Pretty jaded view there.

It's not a war in the sense of the traditional use of the word. It's limited military strikes conducted by coalition forces solely to help the rebels (who asked for the help in the first place).

Nasu
20 Mar 2011, 03:09pm
90 % about oil

However I support this . Gaddafi is a psycopath who needs to be topled from power.

Securing the oil production helps people doesn't it?

c0bra067
20 Mar 2011, 05:29pm
I have to say that your post is one of the most ignorant opinions I have read so far about this subject.

How on Earth have you deduced that it's about oil, other than trying to bandwagon it on Iraq and Afghan war protests?

I suppose somehow soldiers and peacekeepers will be teleported into Libya with a Chronosphere and then become oil oligarchs once Gaddafi has been removed?

you don't see it? clearly letting the rebels get overrun and allowing gadhafi full control over libya wouldn't normalize oil production at all.

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6326157/obviously-its-all-a-government-conspiracy.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Serious-SpongeBob

on a side note; who gives a shit if its about oil. the us and its allies keeping control of oil rich countries is a benefit to all of their citizens. oil is then cheaper and we can't be choked by some crazy authoritarian ruler who funds terrorists and tortures the population. somehow if the war was about perhaps water, i doubt so many people would be complaining. unfortunately what water is to our body, oil is to the global economy. think about it. it isn't exactly rocket science.

SilentGuns
20 Mar 2011, 06:08pm
I have to say that your post is one of the most ignorant opinions I have read so far about this subject.

How on Earth have you deduced that it's about oil, other than trying to bandwagon it on Iraq and Afghan war protests?

I suppose somehow soldiers and peacekeepers will be teleported into Libya with a Chronosphere and then become oil oligarchs once Gaddafi has been removed?

Im just saying what it looks like.

There are many other , somewhat worthless countries where people are in much worse conditions . Why not go help liberate them instead of Libya?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh hello. Lets all just go liberate some desert people with a cost of a lot of money just out of the goodness of our hearths because toppling other governments for our own gain is not what we do and not what we have been doing for decades.

love

- The US and friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but seriously. I am happy that they are helping take down Gaddafi but I just wanted to point out other motives. I'm honestly just waiting to see who will lead the puppet government after ( and If ever ) this stuff is resolved.

I have no problem with the US doing this. I'd like to see the US, much like its people, big in size and growing , choke on their own fat.

SgtJoo
20 Mar 2011, 06:54pm
Im just saying what it looks like.

There are many other , somewhat worthless countries where people are in much worse conditions . Why not go help liberate them instead of Libya?

Oh hello. Lets all just go liberate some desert people with a cost of a lot of money just out of the goodness of our hearths because toppling other governments for our own gain is not what we do and not what we have been doing for decades.

love

- The US and friends.

but seriously. I am happy that they are helping take down Gaddafi but I just wanted to point out other motives. I'm honestly just waiting to see who will lead the puppet government after ( and If ever ) this stuff is resolved.

I have no problem with the US doing this. I'd like to see the US, much like its people, big in size and growing , choke on their own fat.

Although I'm addressing this in reverse order...

The rest of the world is rapidly catching up to us in obesity although bringing that in is just an off topic barb at our country.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

Secondly, the way the entire international system functions determines where the US intervenes and why. It's not simply "Oh look those silly Arabs are fighting and they have oil, AMERICA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" The US is intervening with NATO/UN coalition forces and with international respect, not condemnation. The rebels themselves asked for international assistance in combating Qaddafi's air superiority and we're obliging to avoid a loyalist genocide of the Benghazi citizens.

We're preventing genocide with tactical air/naval strikes, no ground forces are involved. Take your anti-US vitriol elsewhere.

SilentGuns
21 Mar 2011, 03:21am
Although I'm addressing this in reverse order...

The rest of the world is rapidly catching up to us in obesity although bringing that in is just an off topic barb at our country.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

Secondly, the way the entire international system functions determines where the US intervenes and why. It's not simply "Oh look those silly Arabs are fighting and they have oil, AMERICA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" The US is intervening with NATO/UN coalition forces and with international respect, not condemnation. The rebels themselves asked for international assistance in combating Qaddafi's air superiority and we're obliging to avoid a loyalist genocide of the Benghazi citizens.

We're preventing genocide with tactical air/naval strikes, no ground forces are involved. Take your anti-US vitriol elsewhere.

Yes they did and you took the opportunity. They will be reminded of your help , very much and as often as possible in the future. That I am sure of. I have no problem with you helping out people in need , I just worry what your plans are afterwards.

Trashed
21 Mar 2011, 07:40am
I am surprised noone has posted this yet

sWS-FoXbjVI

Nasu
21 Mar 2011, 07:54am
Also USA isn't the only country going to help Libya for example France was the first to announce it will take military actions against the government as I recall and it also was strongly supporting the idea of going there.

Trashed
21 Mar 2011, 08:00am
Also USA isn't the only country going to help Libya for example France was the first to announce it will take military actions against the government as I recall and it also was strongly supporting the idea of going there.

Where would Lybians refugees go? Tunisia? Egypt? Maybe Algeria.. but it rather seems to me like France doesn't want to have hundreds of thousands of people knocking at their door. I might be wrong tho :)

Harpr33t
21 Mar 2011, 08:56am
China or Russia should have vetoed this shit. Gaddafi learned his fucking lesson of not oppressing his people.

matt 187
21 Mar 2011, 09:09am
Also USA isn't the only country going to help Libya for example France was the first to announce it will take military actions against the government

France?
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad267/11363/1289172891872.jpg

c0bra067
21 Mar 2011, 06:17pm
Where would Lybians refugees go? Tunisia? Egypt? Maybe Algeria.. but it rather seems to me like France doesn't want to have hundreds of thousands of people knocking at their door. I might be wrong tho :)

france doesn't. at the moment there are serious tensions between migrants and the french population as france is struggling to hold onto its 'national culture'. sarkozy needs political points for his re-election campaign next year. he told the allies when they were meeting in paris deciding what to do that he had already ordered air strikes.

The US actually joined the campaign for a no-fly zone relatively late in its process - I think you'll find it was both the UK and France + the Arab League who were pressing for it.

agreed. silentguns, obama was actually getting shit for not doing anything, and he didn't want to. the reason the us is playing such a heavy roll that makes it look like they're leading this 'charge to save libya' is because the military of the united states has a much greater capacity to respond in force to incidents than the other coalition forces do.

Trashed
22 Mar 2011, 02:04am
france doesn't. at the moment there are serious tensions between migrants and the french population as france is struggling to hold onto its 'national culture'.

Oh really? I didnt think that the National Front being one of the favorites for presidential election really actually meant that France didn't want more immigrants :)

PotshotPolka
22 Mar 2011, 03:06am
This thread isn't worth the iota of energy necessary to making it dialectical, die in pyroclasts, all of you.

Jaffa
22 Mar 2011, 05:58am
Any argument in this thread is defunct unless the person can actually spell Libya and Libyan. Grammar would be nice too :)

Chobber
22 Mar 2011, 06:00am
America is in it for the oil..
Denmark is in it to obliterate islam and all muslims..

And if you can't feel my sarcasm you should go shoot yourself..
We're a part of the UN, the rebels asked for UN help.. UN instated the no-fly zone, Denmark, UK, France, Italy and the US are amongst the only ones helping to keep this no-fly zone so Gaddafi won't bomb more cities and kill his own people.. Exactly the same as when Saddam Hussein threw mustard gas at a couple of his cities in the north.. It is wrong and as the UN we can't accept that..
That countries (UK, US, France) are more pro-active on bombing tactical places as well as military forces in Libya is because they joined a Coalition of the Willing.. They joined up and said, "Hey.. This fella is gonna keep killing his citizens unless we act with military power".. They didn't call each other and say "Word dawg, let's rush this shithole and steal their oil.. We just need to kill that Gaddafi-kid!" - why would they!?
By removing Gaddafi they're sure that new times will come .. And would we want new times to come when Gaddafi has been exporting oil to us with no problems the last 40 years!?
Removing Gaddafi = a possible change in the oil export.
Letting Gaddafi stay = no change in oil export, but a violation of the human rights of UN.. (Roughly.)

Ninja'd by Jaffa - but I spelled Libya right before I read it :D

Harpr33t
22 Mar 2011, 06:28am
IMHO I think the United States got dragged into this conflict at the behest of the Europeans and them trying to secure their resources.

SgtJoo
22 Mar 2011, 09:51am
Russia's head of the Liberal Democratic Party, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, has appealed to the Nobel Prize Committee to revoke U.S. President Barack Obama's Nobel Prize, the party's press service said in a statement on Monday.

Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 for his commitment to non-proliferation of nuclear weapons.

"The situation in Libya is yet another shocking act of aggression by NATO forces and in particular by the United States. This is a clear reflection of colonial policy. This is another crude invasion into the domestic affairs of an independent state. There is only one goal: to take control of Libyan oil and the Libyan regime and not saving the Libyan people," the press service quoted Zhirinovsky as saying.

The colorful and flamboyant leader of Russia's LDPR party plans to meet with Libyan Ambassador to Russia Amir al-Arabi on Wednesday to discuss the latest events in the North African country.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20110321/163134252.html

Trashed
22 Mar 2011, 09:56am
Any argument in this thread is defunct unless the person can actually spell Libya and Libyan. Grammar would be nice too :)

my bad?

PotshotPolka
22 Mar 2011, 05:22pm
http://en.rian.ru/world/20110321/163134252.html

Why is something from the head of the LDPR, the most fascist modern political party in the world relevant?

SgtJoo
22 Mar 2011, 07:05pm
Why is something from the head of the LDPR, the most fascist modern political party in the world relevant?

Because he's gonna get Obama's Nobel prize taken away and we all know that would be a terrible thing.

c0bra067
22 Mar 2011, 09:11pm
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/air-strikes-on-libya/100031/
^pretty good pictures of the air-strikes/conflict

SgtJoo
22 Mar 2011, 09:24pm
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

Go Canada.

sebak
22 Mar 2011, 10:18pm
get some!!!

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/libya032111/s_l28_RTR2K5X2.jpg

high rws
3 Aug 2011, 12:59pm
90 % about oil

alright then..
explain why the US and other nato forces bombed yugoslavia to help the croats, albanians, and bosnians break away from the serbs? neither of the countries stated have any large oil reserves.

the US gets way too much flak, when truly it's a great country.

edit: i just realized i bumped a very old thread, my bad

Toxin
22 Aug 2011, 05:22pm
bump
shit getting real?

Caution
22 Aug 2011, 05:37pm
lol can't wait to get deployed there

(not)

Im a Jackass
22 Aug 2011, 06:11pm
lol at lady with the AK and some nice pics in there I have to say

Zeke
22 Aug 2011, 09:29pm
Just another place on my future deployment list.

Tweezy
23 Aug 2011, 07:23am
This is going to turn into another Iraq. Didn't take a very long time at all to kill Bin Larden, nor will it take along time to end Gaddafi's reign. Once again, what's going to happen when Gaddafi is killed? Are the rebels going to take over? Are the rebels going to try and elect there own representitive to rule the country. If so, it will never work and a civil war will break. There are still so many people loyal to the murdering scum bag.

Jaffa
23 Aug 2011, 08:36am
Tweezy do you even understand whats going on in Libya?

Spartan
23 Aug 2011, 09:10am
I read the thread title "Libia". I lost any motivation to post anything worthwhile.

(von dutch) delta force 8
24 Aug 2011, 10:57am
I read the thread title "Libia". I lost any motivation to post anything worthwhile.

Spelling corrections are no longer worthwhile O.o?

Harpr33t
24 Aug 2011, 12:19pm

you're homosexual anyway Spartan

Spartan
24 Aug 2011, 03:03pm
Nope.avi

Jazzyy
24 Aug 2011, 06:46pm
sounds like Gaddafi has one final city for the rebels to zerg

GG

Lux
25 Aug 2011, 05:33am
Tweezy do you even understand whats going on in Libya?

Those cunt Italians used Naval bombers and marines whilst the British were busy in Thailand >:|

PotshotPolka
25 Aug 2011, 03:46pm
Brown people shooting brown people clearly has no political connotations other than white people profit from it.

And if people are going to misspell countries, at least make it lulzy.

Ms. Blargh
25 Aug 2011, 04:33pm
Mmmm labia...

I havent really been following this at all, why are we at war with libya?

Fartingo
25 Aug 2011, 06:37pm
In B4 labia jo- shit.

Honestly though, the action in Libya isn't necessarily by the US military. Keep in mind that the US is a NATO heavy-hitter, the T standing for treaty, as in we get in there, fuck up Qaddafi's shit, then promptly GTFO. For the people claiming a second Iraq, note that the rebellion was well underway by the time NATO decided to level the playing field via air and arty, as opposed to a balls-out ground invasion. If the rebels don't have a post-victory plan prepared, it's on them, not us.

As for other countries having economic reasons to end the war, no fucking shit. The sooner the region stabilizes, the sooner the global economy can be pieced back together. I don't think anyone here's gonna lose any sleep over that.

Drox
25 Aug 2011, 07:17pm
Labia, always fun to invade it.

As for Libya, another useless country that will most likely turn on us that we are helping for oil gain. Getting old.

Lux
26 Aug 2011, 05:24am
Labia, always fun to invade it.

Tell that to the poor 14 divisions of U.S. marines who were captured :-(

Drox
26 Aug 2011, 06:11am

We will never forget them

PotshotPolka
26 Aug 2011, 07:28am
The U.S. needs more Labia, it always does. Canada is a dried old husk who nags and eats too much.

Harpr33t
26 Aug 2011, 09:58am

Wait what?

PotshotPolka
26 Aug 2011, 10:54am
Wait what?

He's being a faggot and repeatedly referring to a game only five people here play.

Tamahome
27 Aug 2011, 09:41am
He's being a faggot and repeatedly referring to a game only five people here play.

Every time I attempt to read one of your posts, I end up staring at your sig instead

In B4 labia jo- shit.

Honestly though, the action in Libya isn't necessarily by the US military. Keep in mind that the US is a NATO heavy-hitter, the T standing for treaty, as in we get in there, fuck up Qaddafi's shit, then promptly GTFO.

Except we didn't do the "promptly GTFO" part yet. I could kinda see this becomin another Iraq-like situation. It sounds like we're just slowly easin into it. You guys think after Gadaffi's gone everything's just gonna be rainbows 'n sunshine there afterwards?

Xoddox
29 Aug 2011, 09:39pm
Tell that to the poor 14 divisions of U.S. marines who were captured :-(\
Lux you can take a dick shoved far up your ass lol

Tamahome
29 Aug 2011, 11:29pm
\
Lux you can take a dick shoved far up your ass lol

You sure are blunt