PDA

View Full Version : some oc help

sebak
19 Mar 2011, 10:27am
IF YOU CANT SEE PICS. RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT VIEW IMAGE.

info to know:
i7 920
P6x58D Premium Mobo
Thermaltake Frio Cooler
antec 902 case

my mobo allows me to oc from desktop without going into bios. though im not sure what is wrong with my cpu. its @ 58C idle Ive cleaned it with arctic cleaner products. and used arctic silver5. 2 different times, and i get high temps. it may be from the bad freq/volt i randomly put to try to oc. i manged to get to 3ghz on 60C idle but thats too high and will go prly go up to 80-100 in game. so question what should i do, is it possible i got bad cpu? bad fan placement? or just bad rates?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/trigun989/ocstats.png?t=1300553264

(see last pic)i have a thermaltake frio cpu cooler. it has dual 120 mm VR™ Fan on it and is adjustable to 2500rpm. you can see its set at ~1200 rpm and the dial for the intake fan(blue) to adjust speed doesnt do anything, only for the output fan works(the dial). how can i change the speed?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/trigun989/cpufan.png

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/ProductHtml/image/CLP0564/firo_airflow.jpg

Zealot
19 Mar 2011, 11:01am
Is your cooler plugged into your mobo? If it is, download speedfan and you can control the fan rpm of anything attached to your mobo.

sebak
19 Mar 2011, 11:48am
yea. and its not doing anything. i tried cpu>desired temp and put 37. doesnt change anything.

andre1028
19 Mar 2011, 01:19pm
afiak i7 CPUs are very tolerable for temperature up to 100C. My i7 930 @ 4.0GHZ does 85C on Prime95 stress tests and idles at about 42C. I haven't really had an issue since then. Biggest downside though for me is that my CPUs life span has been literally cut in half. There could be lots of reasons for the bad temps though. Inaccurate program (speedfan is wrong with certain mobos and operating systems), bad voltage, wrongly applied thermal paste, malfunctioning CPU cooler. I can't put my finger on whats causing it.

Also, I'd personally overclock through BIOS. In-windows overclocking programs aren't very great for stability and reliability from what I hear and BIOs settings can easily be reverted to default. It's not very hard to overclock through BIOS, it really depends on your mobo though.

sebak
19 Mar 2011, 01:25pm
guess ill try that instead. as for fans i tried changing speed in bios to no success

andre1028
19 Mar 2011, 01:43pm
I used to buy a lot of MaximumPC magazines. The April 2009 edition had an overclocking guide specifically for i7 processors. They posted the official article on their website too if you want to read it. It's a good read.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/ultimate_core_i7_overclocking_guide_we_push_nehale m_its_limits

Spiffy
20 Mar 2011, 09:03am
Over clocking with air cooling will always provide higher temps. It's the risk you take. Frankly, what do you need to over clock an i7 for right now?

sebak
21 Mar 2011, 12:34am
Over clocking with air cooling will always provide higher temps. It's the risk you take. Frankly, what do you need to over clock an i7 for right now?

just for the hell of it. though like i said i got 56-60C idle when its set @ 2.8ghz

Shadowex3
25 Mar 2011, 01:23am
That's a really surprising temperature since my Q9450 gets technically better than that across the board. Maybe you mounted wrong and got a bubble or something? Also try OCing in BIOS just in case...

Air coolers use heatpipes to transfer heat to a bunch of metal fins where ambient air blown over them carries it away.

Watercooling uses water to transport heat to... a bunch of metal fins where ambient air blown over them carries it away.

The only and sole advantage watercooling has over modern heatpipe towers is that one radiator can deal with all your stuff. You can plug your GPU, CPU, and even HDD's into the loop. If you want to really outperform a decent "normal" heatsink then you're going to need easily twice the money and to get into OC levels where you need to start using insulation, waterproofing, and chilled water.

Spiffy
25 Mar 2011, 07:25am
That's a really surprising temperature since my Q9450 gets technically better than that across the board. Maybe you mounted wrong and got a bubble or something? Also try OCing in BIOS just in case...

Air coolers use heatpipes to transfer heat to a bunch of metal fins where ambient air blown over them carries it away.

Watercooling uses water to transport heat to... a bunch of metal fins where ambient air blown over them carries it away.

The only and sole advantage watercooling has over modern heatpipe towers is that one radiator can deal with all your stuff. You can plug your GPU, CPU, and even HDD's into the loop. If you want to really outperform a decent "normal" heatsink then you're going to need easily twice the money and to get into OC levels where you need to start using insulation, waterproofing, and chilled water.

Water cooling is much more effective even with just one unit. Heat pipes don't even compare...

sebak
25 Mar 2011, 08:20am
well my mobo has built in heat pipes, plus the one on my cpu fan, so it should not be that high

Shadowex3
26 Mar 2011, 03:48am
Water cooling is much more effective even with just one unit. Heat pipes don't even compare...

... No, it's not. Confirmation bias and absurd comparisons of hundred dollar minimum watercooling setups to discount heatsinks are the only reasons anyone would say that. Also Colorado is not exempt from the laws of thermodynamics, you have the same limitations that a conventional heatsink does and which conventional heatsinks are already brushing up against. You need to get into competitive benchmarking levels to start causing issues for a heatsink that costs what a decent watercooling block ALONE costs, and at that point most people are already using exotics.

well my mobo has built in heat pipes, plus the one on my cpu fan, so it should not be that high

No it shouldn't, you shouldn't be running hotter than I am. The first thing to check is your mount... whether you're using too much thermalpaste or have bad contact because of a bubble or possibly even uneven (or just too weak) screwing. Can we get a picture of your computer's guts as it is now with the heatsink mounted and everything? Really terrible airflow could be a problem.

Also informing Spiffy that he's still subject to the laws of thermodynamics reminds me of another possible issue: What's your ambient? How cool you can get without active cooling is limited to a certain level above room temperature. If I were to turn off my A/C for example it'd be physically impossible for me to get below about 40-50C when I'm trying to cool a hot processor with air that's already 90 degrees.

PotshotPolka
26 Mar 2011, 05:53am
Cascades are the way forward.

Spiffy
26 Mar 2011, 09:05am
... No, it's not. Confirmation bias and absurd comparisons of hundred dollar minimum watercooling setups to discount heatsinks are the only reasons anyone would say that. Also Colorado is not exempt from the laws of thermodynamics, you have the same limitations that a conventional heatsink does and which conventional heatsinks are already brushing up against. You need to get into competitive benchmarking levels to start causing issues for a heatsink that costs what a decent watercooling block ALONE costs, and at that point most people are already using exotics.

No it shouldn't, you shouldn't be running hotter than I am. The first thing to check is your mount... whether you're using too much thermalpaste or have bad contact because of a bubble or possibly even uneven (or just too weak) screwing. Can we get a picture of your computer's guts as it is now with the heatsink mounted and everything? Really terrible airflow could be a problem.

Also informing Spiffy that he's still subject to the laws of thermodynamics reminds me of another possible issue: What's your ambient? How cool you can get without active cooling is limited to a certain level above room temperature. If I were to turn off my A/C for example it'd be physically impossible for me to get below about 40-50C when I'm trying to cool a hot processor with air that's already 90 degrees.

Please point out a heat sink that will keep my i7-930 at 27-30C idle and 40-44C under full load. I didn't say it was more bang for the buck, I said it was more effective and it is.

Shadowex3
28 Mar 2011, 11:28pm
Start with the latest revision of the TRUE and look around from there, also compare what you spend and do with a remotely decent watercooling setup to the cost of even a top end "conventional" heatsink.