PDA

View Full Version : ConnorC's Operating System Errors

ConnorC
14 Mar 2011, 11:42am
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Operating System Errors What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Avast/AVG/EsetNod32/McAfee Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Dell What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
- Please state your problem here
Can't run exe files, When I run them I get a command prompt opening and then closing, the file does not open. I have googled this issue and a friend tried to help me, I did this regedit thing, which didn't work, he walked me through a system recover which I did, yet my .exe files still won't open. No clue what to do.

Bilbo Baggins
14 Mar 2011, 02:23pm
hmmm well I dunno about this one tbh but a few things that you could try making sure you don't have multiple antivirus programs running at once; sometimes wonky things happens. If you haven't already right click whatever .exe you want and click run that way and try booting into safemode and try running something then.

One question when you say System Recovery did you do a system restore, startup repair or what?

ConnorC
14 Mar 2011, 03:12pm
Just did a system restore, my friend walked me through it so I didn't really know what it was, but it just restarted my computer after about 10 mins.

And I don't really run anti-virus much, I just have those for the different scans, the one I mainly use is Avast.

I havn't tried booting in safemode yet and havn't really got a chance, in the last few days i've been doing hell loads of ICT coursework I should have been doing in september-now.

Shadowex3
17 Mar 2011, 03:26am
Now that's an interesting one, can you get anything from the command prompt that opens up? Try opening one and executing a program from it to see what it says...

ConnorC
18 Mar 2011, 01:05pm
Heres what I get when I try and open an .exe file:

Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?
Program name: Windows Command Processor
Verified Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Program Location: "cmd.exe" / c takeown /f
"C:\users\connor\blahblahblah\game\setup.exe" && icacls
"C:\Users\Connor\blahblah\Game\setup.exe" /grant
administrators:F

Yes / No

Spiffy
18 Mar 2011, 10:47pm
Trying running command prompt in admin mode (actually go into accessories, right click on command prompt and choose Run as Administrator) and type in 'assoc .exe=exefile'

Shadowex3
18 Mar 2011, 11:26pm
Wtf... that looks almost exactly like a CMD version of the UAC popup.

Also unrelated aside that came to me: Ditch McAfee, it's terrible.

ConnorC
19 Mar 2011, 11:15am
I tried what you said spiffy, I think I did it right, in the command prompt I got;

C:\Users\Connor>assoc .exe=exefile
Access is denied.
Error occured while processing: .exe.

I don't know why it says access denied, to note I am an administrator on the computer.
I went into the accesories folder, but when I right clicked the command prompt there was no option to run as adminstrator, I just ran it normally.

Spiffy
20 Mar 2011, 08:59am
It will says access is denied if you run it normally even if you are an admin. Try holding down shift when you right click on it and it might say "Run as different user" and just put in your credentials.

Daze
20 Mar 2011, 09:06am
Don't fuck around with the registry if you don't know what you're doing!

ConnorC
20 Mar 2011, 09:39am
It will says access is denied if you run it normally even if you are an admin. Try holding down shift when you right click on it and it might say "Run as different user" and just put in your credentials.

I did as you said and thought i'd take screenshots just so you can see if i'm doing something terribly wrong, I put my credential's in and the other admins but for both of them I got the same error;

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/ConnorCart1/Errorpart1.png?t=1300635521

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/ConnorCart1/Errorpart2.png?t=1300635522

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy275/ConnorCart1/Errorpart3.png?t=1300635519

Daze
20 Mar 2011, 09:52am
Who's Domain is CARTWRIGHT?

It would seem you don't have permissions to run exec files.

ConnorC
20 Mar 2011, 10:13am
Cartwrights my surname, the computers name. I can run everything, and used to be able to run executable's fine, as I said I am an administrator.

Spiffy
20 Mar 2011, 06:55pm
Dude, you probably have a rootkit raping your computer

Spiffy
22 Mar 2011, 10:23pm
Random idea...try going to C:\Windows\system32 and right clicking on the cmd.exe and going to properties.

Change the permissions for administrators to full control and save it. Then right click it and see if you can run as admin, even if you can't open it and run:

assoc .exe=exefile
ftype exefile="%1" %*

After that, regardless if it works, change the permissions back.

ConnorC
24 Mar 2011, 04:10pm
Access Denied for both commands again, and the administrators already had full control.

I friend did have me check in my regedit that the thing in your second command was correct.

Spiffy
24 Mar 2011, 05:09pm
I got nothing man. To be honest, this is well past my wipe and start over threshold.

Shadowex3
25 Mar 2011, 01:17am
If something is interfering with your ability to do this using an Administrator account it's into the territory where I start thinking somehow administrator and exec rights have been compromised, time to nuke the drive and try again. I recommend killing the partitions while you're at it just to be absolutely sure.

Shadowex3
25 Mar 2011, 01:17am
If something is interfering with your ability to do this using an Administrator account it's into the territory where I start thinking somehow administrator and exec rights have been compromised, time to nuke the drive and try again. I recommend killing the partitions while you're at it just to be absolutely sure.

ConnorC
30 Mar 2011, 09:04am
Now I can't run adminstrator commands and am told I don't have permissions, so yeah most likely a virus, is their anything I can do to stop this / remove the virus or is the best option just to re-install windows?

Spiffy
30 Mar 2011, 09:18am
With something that deep into permissions, it's best to start over.

ConnorC
30 Mar 2011, 09:37am
Fixed
My friend;

16:18 - Nidoran: Run that file and your computer will be fixed
16:19 - ConnoR!: Has been succesfully added
16:19 - Nidoran: your computer is fixed

16:22 - Nidoran: You were running all your programs in administrator mode for some reason
16:22 - Nidoran: When you have I own you script it replaces administrator mode as it isn't needed
16:22 - Nidoran: That script uninstalled I own you