PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Sun Times

SpikedRocker
22 Apr 2008, 04:59pm
Anyone check that out today? They printed their front page backwards...ON PURPOSE. http://www.suntimes.com/email_edition/frontpage_subscribe/ To make a stand against gun violence. The overall message that turning our backs on the issue solves nothing.
I agree that doing nothing will solve nothing. The solution though, for me, is unclear. I beleive there needs to be more gun control but how to control it is the touchy question. I remember one comedian, I don't remember exactly which one, but playing on the NRA's position that gun's don't kill people. He said, "well if guns aren't doing the killing, the bullet definatly is." He proposed that the price of bullets were way too low. If you already have a gun, to kill someone could cost you a few bucks (the cost of bullets). Raise the price of bullets to some crazy amount to where the people that use guns for violence/crimes would think twice of killing someone. Potentially costing them a bunch of money just to kill someone. I thought about this and this actually wouldn't work. The black market that rules the worlds street would make it possible. They'd find a way to make it affordable. The best way I can think of is the punishment for gun related crimes needs to be stepped up. If you use a gun to commit any crime, you should be put away for life, with no parole. The problem here is that jails would fill up with people that will never get out. Our(America's) justice system is so messed up anyway. Back before modern times, if you were sentance to death, you didn't stay put up in prison for years on end; you were taken care of with in weeks, if not days. Our death row grows expotentially every year, with arguemets in the SCotUS on wether or not leathal injecton is humane or not is just causing the system to jam up more. But I've really digressed.
I just wanted to see who saw the paper and what they thought of it.
Thanks for reading!

Jupina
22 Apr 2008, 05:38pm
i've seen it now...

personally, i think the only way to stop violence, gun related or not, is to change the human reaction. (to disappointment, rejection, jealousy, etc.)

which is pretty much impossible.

SpikedRocker
22 Apr 2008, 05:59pm
I agree that would be the ultimate way to prevent such things. I guess the closest we can come to that is just simple good parenting. Which I am learning the hard way, even though my little one is almost a year old, my mind is having a hard time wrapping around how to be a good parent. I'm sure that I'll do well and it will come naturally but I'll always have that in the back of my head.

PotshotPolka
23 Apr 2008, 04:00pm
Say what you'll say, I'd rather be mugged and shot, rather than mugged then flogged to death by a fucking 2X4.

SpikedRocker
24 Apr 2008, 02:59am
Say what you'll say, I'd rather be mugged and shot, rather than mugged then flogged to death by a fucking 2X4.

HAHA! Good point. I'd take a quick death over a long one anyday.

Slavic
24 Apr 2008, 11:34am
I'd have to say something similar to what Jupina stated.

Good morals must be taught to kids at a young age, primarily by their parents. I don't like how parents are relying on institutes of learning to teach their children proper morals, but that is a different story. Respect for life and property must be taught to children at young ages, and through out their life.

Guns should only be needed in extreme situations were all other actions have been utilized. The use should also not be glamorized, which it has commonly been in modern music and what not.

Captain Colon
25 Apr 2008, 05:23am
Guns should only be needed in extreme situations were all other actions have been utilized. The use should also not be glamorized, which it has commonly been in modern music and what not.
It's not necessarily "glamorization" I don't think...it's that they're presented as a solution to problems you might have.

Jupina pretty much said it. The only way to CURB violence (it's human nature, it can never be stopped) is to attack the causes. The simple fact is: pass all the gun control legislation you want, you're still going to get shot. England banned handguns in 1997 and their crime rate hasn't gone down any...in fact the number of crimes committed with handguns alone more than doubled despite the ban. The actual number of MURDERS committed with a handgun went down, but the number of murders committed with other weapons increased and the number of home invasions increased very drastically if I remember correctly.

http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF05.htm

and that's from a site that says "All our objectives are predicated on the belief that the interests of public safety demand a reduction in the availability and attractiveness of guns of all kinds."

SpikedRocker
25 Apr 2008, 06:50am
When rules are in place they seem to intice people to break them more often. That is a trend I see in a lot of places, not just guns and violence but something simple like skateboarding in public. In general, people see rules and sometimes because its wrong they do it. Underage drinking, speeding, the list can go on. This is why I think its hard for lawmakers or police officers to come to a solution. Human history is full of violence towards one another, it just might be our hidden nature that gets exploited by the enviorment the person is in. Goes back to how or even where you are raised.

zoL
28 Apr 2008, 06:03am
The best way I see fit for dramatically reducing not only gun violence but also crime is to send everyone who commits a felony away for life. It will cost a lot more money, but the amount of lives and dollars saved would be tremendous. You cannot "accidentally" commit a felony. "Oh, I accidentally robbed this convenience store." "Oh, woops, didn't know I couldn't beat someone over the head with a baseball bat and leave them there to die."

My proposition is pretty radical, but no real solutions come without being extreme.