PDA

View Full Version : Vista Questions

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 01:47pm
Ok I have Vista I have a couple questions

1.Should I turn Windows defender on?

2.Is fire wall woth being turned on?? [heard it makes so u cant download random things even if there is no virus]

tosh9i
22 Apr 2008, 01:49pm
Do you currently have a firewall or antivirus software (norton, mcafee, trend micro etc.)?

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 01:54pm
Trend Micro

Zero001
22 Apr 2008, 02:04pm
Just leave default settings. I rarely see Windows defender, unless you're talking about UAC which stops bugging you after the program is setup. Windows firewall does no such thing. If it has a problem with something it will ask you if you want to grant it permission, again rare pop-up. It's Windows not rocket science.

If you feel better about using other software feel free to do so.

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 02:11pm
when i click turn on in security center a thing pops up and ses

"Security Ceneter cant turn on windows firewall" then there is a thing under it saying

"turn on windows firewall manually"

what now?

Zero001
22 Apr 2008, 02:27pm
Idk why you would have so much trouble just trying to turn on a fire wall.

Try

Start> Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall (on the left column) > Turn Windows Firewall On or Off (on th left column) > click continue on the UAC > select ON and then click OK

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 02:48pm
The thing i click to turn on is faded i cant select it i click it nothing happens?

The only thing that looks out of place is a thing at the top in a yellow box which ses

"For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy"

any suggestions?

Itch
22 Apr 2008, 02:53pm
Is this a work computer? Group policy is usually used in a domain environment by a network admin to maintain certain settings on a computer. It can be worked around.. but if you are on a work computer or on a corporate network you probably should let the admins there know you'd like to use it or ask why you can't.

Zero001
22 Apr 2008, 02:54pm
Are you using an administrative user account?

The message "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy" leads me to believe that you're not on a user account with administrator privileges.

If you are can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 02:55pm
Oh no this is a house computer im the only one who uses it so wtf?

When i right click on certan things i can run as admin.

Itch
22 Apr 2008, 02:57pm
Are you using an administrative user account?

The message "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy" leads me to believe that you're not on a user account with administrator privileges.

If you are can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing?

What Zero001 said.. are you sure the account you are logged in with is an administrator? If this is a home computer and you are admin something isn't right.

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 03:07pm
I just checked im logged in as admin.

Zero001
22 Apr 2008, 03:14pm
I just checked im logged in as admin.

Some time ima bring it to Best Buy and have them figure it out thanx for the help guys.

Hit the print screen button.
Open paint, click edit then paste.
Save the image and post it.

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 03:31pm
think its here

Itch
22 Apr 2008, 03:51pm
Have you checked to see if you have something mis-configured in the LGPO (local group policy editor)? It could be that somehow inadvertently this was configured and is overriding the control panel firewall window.

Dracula
22 Apr 2008, 04:34pm
I have no clue the guys at Best Buy did this shit for me :[