PDA

View Full Version : How to get Admin - Poll + Q&A

Amit
2 Mar 2011, 06:13am
For everybody who is wondering abt the new system and have querie regarding it, here's the plan and guidelines -

How would new admins be selected -

1- Whenever there is a vacancy, we'll invite applications through a form, which would be screened by BDs and AOs. Candidates for admin position must have a certain minimum activity which would be decided later by the BDs and posted in the application thread.

2- Once we receive the applications, the BDs and AOs will shortlist candidates based on their profile, history, contribution (not $$) and expertise.

3- The above process(es) will be kept confidential, and will NOT be discussed in the public domain. It will be strictly prohibited, and complaints will be entertained only by PMs. No explanation will be provided on the selection (or rejection) of applications.

4- The selected candidates will go through a public poll for 3 days. The members shall vote Yes/No/Don't care for each candidate. To become admin, a candidate must achieve a majority YES ...

5- Any candidate 'lobbying' for votes will be disqualified.

Feel free to psot any query and I'll be more than happy to answer them.

--------------------------------------------------------

Guidelines to get SA rank -

1- Do not PM BDs/AOs or any higher rank and trying to convince them. Do not sell your case. If you lobby in private, your application will be rejected.

2- Must not show dissent on being rejected. It'll never help.

3- Only members with >xxx posts would be allowed to vote for/against a candidate.

4- Each public vote MUST accompany a reason. The voting section will be heavily moderated. Any vote without a proper reason would not be counted.

5- If you are not sure of your participation at SG in the near future, please do not apply for an SA rank

Amit
2 Mar 2011, 06:16am
So how do u get in?

Whenever there is a vacancy, we'll invite applications through a form..

MattShadows
2 Mar 2011, 06:18am
Sounds good.
Voted for BD's.

Amit
2 Mar 2011, 06:18am
so now u updated like the form right?

Not yet. We'll start accepting admins only after 15th. We'll update the form then.

struki
2 Mar 2011, 06:28am
How about SA's deciding who gets admin?

Amit
2 Mar 2011, 06:29am
How about SA's deciding who gets admin?

We don't want a small group of friends running the servers...

Sembrik
2 Mar 2011, 06:30am
Voted for Amit :)

BD sounds fine too...

(Hard Choise)

The process listed in the thread looks good too... AGHH!

Amit
2 Mar 2011, 06:30am
BTW...the third option - by you..Amit. We trust you. (PS - check your PM) .. is pure sarcasm. I'm not involved in selection at all...

Use tht option when you don't care how the SAs would be appointed.

Sembrik
2 Mar 2011, 06:33am
Would choose BD or one single person who are playing on all servers 24/7..

Don`t think Members only would be the right decision...

struki
2 Mar 2011, 06:33am
We don't want a small group of friends running the servers...

Okay.

But picking amit is not good option.

Seeing how he has like 3 forums to read...and that he cant really keep overwatch on all members.

I had no chance with garfield because i didnt play games that he played nor did spam forums.

So i would say that process described in this thread is best option.

Edit: Just saw your other post...nvm

Wicked Pissah
2 Mar 2011, 07:31am
Tough choice, can we pick more than one? JK.

Chose BD's though. They are a trustful kind. =D

Smiley :]
2 Mar 2011, 07:38am
Sounds good.

hV
2 Mar 2011, 07:47am
Chose the last option, I don't think the BDs alone should pick out applicants, AOs and BDs would mean that there's more likely the chance some of them know the applicants. Not to mention that the BDs have favourite servers *cough*Paul*cough*.

Boobcake
2 Mar 2011, 07:53am
Didnt see the last option, could you change my vote to it please.

SpaZMonKeY
2 Mar 2011, 08:01am

Ya I also voted BDs Only, but I prefer the listed process in thread. I jumped the gun voting before reading the thread lol. Woops :heh:

Spiffy
2 Mar 2011, 08:25am
None of the Above. Refer to CA section for best selection.

Sembrik
2 Mar 2011, 08:27am

Did the same mistake rofl :) -> Vote changed to last one

Chobber
2 Mar 2011, 08:32am
Did the same mistake rofl :) -> Vote changed to last one

HERP!

Me too..

Thought 3rd option was a 'or write something else yourself'-option..

I vote for the on in OP!

Hazmat
2 Mar 2011, 08:40am
Amit, I like your idea but for the public poll. Idk about that because there are allot of people that are new and may not have good input. Just spamming the forms. Maybe if it was for Don and up voting pole. But that's just my opinion...

Lemonstein
2 Mar 2011, 08:42am
Thats why he said only members with xxx posts can vote.

voted for the last option
BDs have their word on it so not everybody gets admin, and members get to have their word too

Lucid
2 Mar 2011, 08:48am
Voted for the process listed, sounds good but I hop we can maintain this system.

Also, it should be around 80% approval like the old admin system.

tic
2 Mar 2011, 08:56am
The thing is that with the proccses you listed is its going to become a fame game. People that are friends with each other are going to root them on and not because there the better admin or not and if you dont vote for your friend ect ect ect. IMO the proccses should be AO+ due to them being more experienced and knowing how to pick off the people that are just wanting to be admin just for bragging rights and don't actually do there job.

Crazy Swede
2 Mar 2011, 09:11am
The thing is that with the proccses you listed is its going to become a fame game. People that are friends with each other are going to root them on and not because there the better admin or not and if you dont vote for your friend ect ect ect. IMO the proccses should be AO+ due to them being more experienced and knowing how to pick off the people that are just wanting to be admin just for bragging rights and don't actually do there job.

Tbh... I still believe it would become a "fame game" with AO+ allso. If not, but atleast, ass-kissing contest. Atleast with this formula, the voting are more widely-spreaded.

Bullet Wound
2 Mar 2011, 02:02pm
For everybody who is wondering abt the new system and have querie regarding it, here's the plan and guidelines -

How would new admins be selected -

1- Whenever there is a vacancy, we'll invite applications through a form, which would be screened by BDs and AOs. Candidates for admin position must have a certain minimum activity which would be decided later by the BDs and posted in the application thread.

Whats the ideal number of admins you're looking to have at any given time then?

2- Once we receive the applications, the BDs and AOs will shortlist candidates based on their profile, history, contribution (not $$) and expertise.

What contributions can someone do if they are not admin already? It also seems like this part is where favoritism would come is, especially the "history" part.

4- The selected candidates will go through a public poll for 3 days. The members shall vote Yes/No/Don't care for each candidate. To become admin, a candidate must achieve a majority YES ...

So is a "majority" still 60% or is it higher now?

The method isn't bad, but tbh it sounds more like the higher ups are doing all of the work really. Seems like they are choosing the admins and the community is more or less just agreeing with their decisions.

Matt
2 Mar 2011, 02:28pm
May i ask how many SA's we have?

Dracula
2 Mar 2011, 02:52pm
Done by the members.

Chaos
2 Mar 2011, 02:58pm
Done by the members.

Agree. The members have the most interaction with the candidates, but only after BD's selection.

EvilShadow98
2 Mar 2011, 03:00pm
So am i right? we can apply for admin in march 15 somone correct me :/

Patience.

duhoh
2 Mar 2011, 03:07pm
Tbh... I still believe it would become a "fame game" with AO+ allso. If not, but atleast, ass-kissing contest. Atleast with this formula, the voting are more widely-spreaded.

i can guarantee that none of the AO+ likes being sucked up to.

this is a good process given in the OP.

Dracula
2 Mar 2011, 03:11pm
i can guarantee that none of the AO+ likes being sucked up to.

this is a good process given in the OP.

The same is said everytime, I still havnt seen it.

Prez
2 Mar 2011, 05:10pm
Process you posted sounds cool, I'd go with that

NIKO
2 Mar 2011, 05:15pm
im OG, can I have admin?

duhoh
2 Mar 2011, 05:30pm
im OG, can I have admin?

outta game?

Sai
2 Mar 2011, 05:46pm
I voted Bd's they have been here longer and know how to be an admin. They can choose who is good and who isnt.

Zealot
2 Mar 2011, 06:18pm
Process, except not members for the public poll. Make it SA+

Suicide
2 Mar 2011, 06:36pm
I voted for member vote.

Im a Jackass
2 Mar 2011, 08:53pm
I Like this I might have a chance to get admin now :LOOL:

and I dont think members should be able to vote becasue who ever has the most friends would win

Harry
2 Mar 2011, 09:35pm
and I dont think members should be able to vote becasue who ever has the most friends would win
Isn't that a good thing? If you have no friends it either means you're not active, you're an asshole 24/7, or you are not a good people-person. All three traits an admin should not have. :v

Labarr
2 Mar 2011, 09:42pm
Sounds good!!! As long as it's not based soleey onmembers votes. :D

MPQC
2 Mar 2011, 11:18pm
Isn't that a good thing? If you have no friends it either means you're not active, you're an asshole 24/7, or you are not a good people-person. All three traits an admin should not have. :v

It's not necessarily a good thing. A person can have loads of friends and still be immature, and unfit for admin, and I'm sure many of the people here can list you dozens of examples. While having many friends that play here does show that they are at least semi-active, it does not show anything else.

Harry
3 Mar 2011, 01:39am
It's not necessarily a good thing. A person can have loads of friends and still be immature, and unfit for admin, and I'm sure many of the people here can list you dozens of examples. While having many friends that play here does show that they are at least semi-active, it does not show anything else.
I guess you are correct, but it does somewhat solve the problem of people applying and no one knowing who they are. The BDs play a lot, but maybe not as much or at the same times as the applicant is, etc.

P3rg3
3 Mar 2011, 08:46am
People that are going to apply should also be able to read.
Some of you...
Damn.

Strike
3 Mar 2011, 09:51am
AO+ Don't buy any toilet paper for the rest of the month.

Ámber
4 Mar 2011, 06:07am

nrlly since some of the biggest douches got a Sh*tloads of friends..

Suicide
4 Mar 2011, 06:18am
Good luck to everyone on this! :)

Dracula
4 Mar 2011, 03:13pm
nrlly since some of the dumbest people such as myself got a Sh*tloads of friends..

:yawn:

andre1028
4 Mar 2011, 03:25pm
nrlly since some of the biggest douches got a Sh*tloads of friends..

Who doesn't want to be friends with a guy who cleans vaginas for a living?

Jazz
5 Mar 2011, 04:13am
«SG.Reg» players and folks with ranks above should be able to vote. The milestone of reaching 100 posts to achieve regular status has shown that he/she is active in the community, and is serious about things like this. I'm skeptical that we should allow members with 0 posts to vote. The applicant can simply say to his/her random friends to register and vote for me, despite the fact that those members don't know how the admins behaviour really is. If not, perhaps raise the milestone of «SG.Reg» status to 150-200 posts?

A strict rule of spamming should be brought here. If any spamming is shown, the player simply loses chance of becoming a «SG.Reg» (SG Regular Gamer.) Donators has shown their dedication to the community by supporting it financially and should therefor be able to vote too.

I think admin complaints should be shown in public because you learn from the admin's mistake (quoted by Blank, still a good argument). And they always give a good laugh.

As I see I made an argument that doesn't match any of the poll suggestions, so this is just an idea, I guess.

mapper
5 Mar 2011, 08:04am
«SG.Reg» players and folks with ranks above should be able to vote. The milestone of reaching 100 posts to achieve regular status has shown that he/she is active in the community, and is serious about things like this. I'm skeptical that we should allow members with 0 posts to vote. The applicant can simply say to his/her random friends to register and vote for me, despite the fact that those members don't know how the admins behaviour really is. If not, perhaps raise the milestone of «SG.Reg» status to 150-200 posts?

A strict rule of spamming should be brought here. If any spamming is shown, the player simply loses chance of becoming a «SG.Reg» (SG Regular Gamer.) Donators has shown their dedication to the community by supporting it financially and should therefor be able to vote too.

I think admin complaints should be shown in public because you learn from the admin's mistake (quoted by Blank, still a good argument). And they always give a good laugh.

As I see I made an argument that doesn't match any of the poll suggestions, so this is just an idea, I guess.

replace the post goal with a time goal: eg: 3months and I agree.

Crazy Swede
5 Mar 2011, 10:30am
replace the post goal with a time goal: eg: 3months and I agree.

Tbh that doesn't point out that a member has been active all those 3 month's. He could might aswell just have registered, stayed active the 2 first weeks and then stopped playing.

Instead, 100+ post's AND the member must have been logged in on the homepage X amount of times or been playing on one of SG servers X amount of hour(s) the latest month?

Jazz
5 Mar 2011, 01:17pm
Tbh that doesn't point out that a member has been active all those 3 month's. He could might aswell just have registered, stayed active the 2 first weeks and then stopped playing.

Instead, 100+ post's AND the member must have been logged in on the homepage X amount of times or been playing on one of SG servers X amount of hour(s) the latest month?

Well posting is beyond logging on to the home page, and by the spam rule, it just get's better. but the X amount of hour was a good idea too.

Elfbarf
5 Mar 2011, 02:03pm
Any form of public voting would be a popularity contest, I highly doubt that most people will actually base it off of how good of an admin someone would be.

Nasu
5 Mar 2011, 02:26pm
Any form of public voting would be a popularity contest, I highly doubt that most people will actually base it off of how good of an admin someone would be.

yea. Our main plan is to destroy and troll SG and pick bad admins so sg will fall!

Dracula
5 Mar 2011, 02:29pm

Lol you do know that no matter what its going to be a popularity contest, the only thing we are changing here is who you need to be popular with.:yawn:

Italian Jew
5 Mar 2011, 03:06pm
Lol you do know that no matter what its going to be a popularity contest, the only thing we are changing here is who you need to be popular with.:yawn:

^

More likely for someone to kiss the admins' asses than for them to kiss everyone else's.

People will know who the bullshitters are (mostly) rather than an admin getting his ego stroked.

Shine
5 Mar 2011, 05:33pm
how do i apply?

Dracula
5 Mar 2011, 05:36pm
how do i apply?

You dont.

Jazzyy
5 Mar 2011, 10:19pm
Figured out a full proof way to promoting admins:

http://www.random.org/

sebak
5 Mar 2011, 11:25pm
good that he made a thread, tired of every member asking for admin. though i doubt it will stop ;)

Neji
5 Mar 2011, 11:39pm
members.

Im a Jackass
6 Mar 2011, 12:15pm

no its just that if the members vote it could easly be "who has the most friends" vote not who REALLY should have admin

Repus
6 Mar 2011, 12:58pm
BD's is bad choise for 2 reasons:

1. They have other duties
2. They are too reconiced, (kiss ass)

Here is my suggestion: assemble new team, secret team! They have no special title, they are not indefied to public in any way, not even current admins perhaps even secret from BD's.

They also should contain members, admins, supporters mayby even noobs.

This should give ppl reason to be nice to everyone.

Bullet Wound
6 Mar 2011, 01:55pm
BD's is bad choise for 2 reasons:

1. They have other duties
2. They are too reconiced, (kiss ass)

Here is my suggestion: assemble new team, secret team! They have no special title, they are not indefied to public in any way, not even current admins perhaps even secret from BD's.

They also should contain members, admins, supporters mayby even noobs.

This should give ppl reason to be nice to everyone.

Sounds good, but its a lot of effort and lets face it, the "secret" team would not be a secret for very long, eventually they'd give themselves away.

Repus
7 Mar 2011, 08:25am
Sounds good, but its a lot of effort and lets face it, the "secret" team would not be a secret for very long, eventually they'd give themselves away.

Mayby it could be often rotating team, secret is who is on the team currently.

Crazy Swede
7 Mar 2011, 08:35am
Mayby it could be often rotating team, secret is who is on the team currently.

...or
The every momber wouldn't know about eachother. So they can only give THEMSELVES away. When they cast their vote, they do it to Amit (President/Owner)

HZK
7 Mar 2011, 09:22am
Reg+ can vote but everyone must give a reason why.

The Joker DK
10 Mar 2011, 08:00am
soo.... after the march 15 we get new admins ??

D-Team oll
11 Mar 2011, 02:59pm
Not yet. We'll start accepting admins only after 15th. We'll update the form then.

will will be able 2 upload demos to the form for the complaints

Strike
12 Mar 2011, 12:29am
A new great way to pick admins.

1. Go onto Reg/Donator list.
2. Close eyes
3. Scroll randomly with you mouse arrow on the nmes
4. Stop
5. Open eyes
6. See what derp you just picked to be admin

Crazy Swede
12 Mar 2011, 06:41am

2. Close eyes
4. Stop
5. Open eyes

And add some fancy math calculations to it. Like, every player on the list is a number. For example, 48.

Player 48 gets picked, multiply it by 2, then you divide it by Pie (3,14159265). And all of a sudden, we have a fancy advanced system that overrules popularity contest :nuts:

EDIT: For all the serious people, I was being sarcastic.

Bullet Wound
12 Mar 2011, 01:59pm

2. Close eyes
4. Stop
5. Open eyes

1. Go to Reg/Donator list
2. Realize that both lists are blank
3. Regroup and figure out new method

bamfers
13 Mar 2011, 10:47am
lol me having a chance to get Admin? xD
I bet someone is going to do some things to have me not get it at all.

MPQC
13 Mar 2011, 10:51am
lol me having a chance to get Admin? xD
I bet someone is going to do some things to have me not get it at all.

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae257/steve777_07/challenge-accepted.png

Toxin
17 Mar 2011, 04:39pm
So, what about former admins, that were deemed inactive by GarfieldH and removed? Will they have to go through the process again?

Bullet Wound
17 Mar 2011, 05:31pm
So, what about former admins, that were deemed inactive by GarfieldH and removed? Will they have to go through the process again?

Why wouldn't you?

jeN
17 Mar 2011, 05:37pm

They were deemed inactive by a group of people, including their stats on the servers that showed us they simply weren't playing..

Suicide
19 Mar 2011, 11:27pm

They should have too... no reason for them to just get admin without do anything for it.