PDA

View Full Version : Im_a_jackass's General Game Issues

Im a Jackass
27 Feb 2011, 04:14pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
General Game Issues What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
460gt Card Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
- Do you understand complex tech explanations
No Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Microsoft made it Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Antec What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
I dont know Please state your problem here
I just got Fallout3 and my computer should be able to run it. I start the game and when I start playing it frezes at random moments than stops working. It does not crash to desktop. The sound keeps playing but the game frezes plz help me D:

Im a Jackass
27 Feb 2011, 06:00pm
I found this from steam support

If you are having trouble running Fallout 3 on Windows 7 please do the following:

1. Navigate to your Fallout 3 folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3)
2. Right click on fallout3.exe
3. Click Properties
4. Click on the Compatibility tab
5. Check the box "Disable desktop composition"
6. Launch Fallout 3 from the .exe or from Steam

I tryed doing it but there is no tab called Compatibility tab

Gator
27 Feb 2011, 06:28pm
I found this from steam support

If you are having trouble running Fallout 3 on Windows 7 please do the following:

1. Navigate to your Fallout 3 folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3)
2. Right click on fallout3.exe
3. Click Properties
4. Click on the Compatibility tab
5. Check the box "Disable desktop composition"
6. Launch Fallout 3 from the .exe or from Steam

I tryed doing it but there is no tab called Compatibility tab

Your in that folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3) right?

Labarr
27 Feb 2011, 06:36pm
and make sure you are going into the fallout3.exe properties.. It SHOULD have a option tab for Compatability

Im a Jackass
27 Feb 2011, 06:40pm
Your in that folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3) right?

Yea It might be because im not clicking fallout 3 I thought I had to go to prop on fallout3 not fallout3 exe

Im a Jackass
27 Feb 2011, 06:42pm
and make sure you are going into the fallout3.exe properties.. It SHOULD have a option tab for Compatability

yea im looking now there is no campatability tab

I looked at both fallout3.exe's

Chaoz`
27 Feb 2011, 06:56pm
shouldn't there only be like 1 exe file that launches the game?
there should be a compatibility tab in the properties menu

maybe post a ss, so we can see what you're doing wrong or should do

Im a Jackass
27 Feb 2011, 06:57pm
Ok I found it but it was just called fallout3 had no exe and I could start the game from it I disabled desktop composition like it said and it still does not work

Sniper
28 Feb 2011, 08:18am
Did you verify your game cache files?

Chaoz`
28 Feb 2011, 09:09am
Ok I found it but it was just called fallout3 had no exe and I could start the game from it I disabled desktop composition like it said and it still does not work

it is an exe file, you just can't see it, cuz you disabled the 'show known file extensions'-option in Map options, but that doesn't matter.
did you use the compatibility option?

Im a Jackass
28 Feb 2011, 04:28pm
I did and it did not work. But I talked with afriend and he said I need to get the 64 bit update for the game for windows 7

I tryed googleing fallout 3 64 bit widnows 7 update and I cant find it any were

Im a Jackass
28 Feb 2011, 04:29pm
Did you verify your game cache files?

I did that too

Sniper
3 Mar 2011, 08:55am
The Steam store page says that the latest OS that runs Fallout 3 is Vista so it is likely that Windows 7 (especially 64-bit) may just not be able to run it.

Im a Jackass
3 Mar 2011, 04:13pm
Yea I looked it up on google and not alot of people who have windows 7 + 64 bit can not run it only a few people can run and game in windows 7 I tryed about half a dozen things and none of it works so I guess this can be called "Broken"

Crazy Swede
3 Mar 2011, 06:28pm
Before you give up. Make sure you do NOT use any Anti Aliasing and vertical sync in graphic settings. I noticed that fixed the crashing issues I had when I play Fallout3. (I have Win7 x64 allso)

Im a Jackass
3 Mar 2011, 08:34pm
Before you give up. Make sure you do NOT use any Anti Aliasing and vertical sync in graphic settings. I noticed that fixed the crashing issues I had when I play Fallout3. (I have Win7 x64 allso)

ah ok Ill try this if this works im going to rep you every time I see a post by you

Just tryed it it crashed even faster :P

Spiffy
4 Mar 2011, 10:55am
Adding This line

iNumHWThreads=2

and editing this line (add if you don't have it)

bUseThreadedAI=1

Fixed my issue. Add it under the [general] tag to your fallout.ini file in your my documents\my games\fallout 3

Found this in some random forum. You can try it.

Can you provide more information about your computer as well?

Im a Jackass
4 Mar 2011, 05:21pm
OK SPiffy here is some more info

Vid card: Nvida Geforce GTX 460

CPU:LGA1156 socket for intel Core i7/Core i5/Core i3/Pentium processprs

Memory: 4x DIMM,Dual channel

Chipset: Intel H55 express chipset

Windows: Windows 7 64-bit

Thats all I can find on the box dont know if it will help or not

And what do you mean

Adding This line

iNumHWThreads=2

and editing this line (add if you don't have it)

bUseThreadedAI=1

Fixed my issue. Add it under the [general] tag to your fallout.ini file in your my documents\my games\fallout 3

Spiffy
4 Mar 2011, 05:23pm
Did you try the fix in the quote?

Im a Jackass
4 Mar 2011, 06:58pm
Umm no dont know [general] tag is took a look around cant find it sorry I suck with stuff like this

Spiffy
4 Mar 2011, 07:01pm
paste your fallout.ini file

Im a Jackass
4 Mar 2011, 10:19pm
k did it it did not work I guess the game just does not work on 64 bit thanks any way guys

Spiffy
4 Mar 2011, 11:36pm
I play it on Windows 7 - 64 bit

Im a Jackass
5 Mar 2011, 10:56am
meh I was looking around and it works on some 64 bit computers and some it does not some of the people can fix it soem cant so guess this can be listed as "Broken"

Spiffy
5 Mar 2011, 11:19am
If that's what you want. Those people that couldn't get it working just gave up though. There is no reason it shouldn't work.

Im a Jackass
5 Mar 2011, 12:52pm
well I tryed every thing I can do and none of it works the last thing that might work but I cant find is a patch for fallout 3 or down grade to 1.6

Epsilon
14 Apr 2011, 08:28pm
BUMP!

Ok I may have found several solutions to you problem Chris...
I did some digging in the Bethesda forums and found 2 or 3 ways that might fix them
1. I read that updating GFX drivers through steam works as a temp solution
2. Updating the K-lite codec(actually found this elsewhere but only one person said this worked)

Also if you ever need to view your box's system specs for whatever reason use this prog.
It will tell you all of your system spec's plus the Temp they are running at currently
Speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy)