PDA

View Full Version : Tweezy's Operating System Errors

Tweezy
15 Feb 2011, 01:20pm
Tech Support Help Ticket
What general section does your problem fall under
Operating System Errors What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows XP If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Can't get this far... Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
No Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
No What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
N/A Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
I'm making it. What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
Monitor or maybe OS issue. Please state your problem here
Ok, I've just finished building a computer for a family, now I need to work on the software/OS side of things.

I'm having this major issue... When I first started up XP it was fine, but the resolution was incorrect, so I changed it to 1600x900 (Something along those lines)

But then an error appeared on the monitor saying "Out of range" I know why it's doing this, it can't support the desired resolution. When this happened I was like ok, I'll leave it for five minutes and it should revert back to the original setting, and I'll have another shot...

Well, it didn't. Now I'm stuck with a monitor that says "Out of range" every time I try and boot XP up.

This is what i've tryed so far...

Safe Mode - Same error
System restore - Same Error
Last known good config - Same Error
VGA Only - unable to find this selection... It just won't show up, even what I hit F8 at boot it just asks to either boot from HDD or DVD drive...
Unplugged Monitor - Display Cable and power.

I bet there is a really easy work around, but I just can't think at the moment... Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
~Tweezy

Labarr
15 Feb 2011, 01:24pm
IDK why safe mode wont work...But maybe you can try using a different monitor that does support that resolution and use that monitor to change the resolution?

Tweezy
15 Feb 2011, 01:27pm
IDK why safe mode wont work...But maybe you can try using a different monitor that does support that resolution and use that monitor to change the resolution?

I was thinking that, but my monitor is DVI/HDMI only, and the computer I'm building only had Integrated VGA support, kinda stuffed there...

tinkerbell
15 Feb 2011, 01:56pm
had this problem before, get another monitor that natively supports the resolution you set it at, let it boot up and then set the resolution to the native res of the monitor you will be using.

sorry, didnt see the above post, use dvi/vga adapter for your cable

Tweezy
15 Feb 2011, 02:11pm
hmm... I think I may have an old CRT in the garage, I'll try it later and give an update.

Spiffy
15 Feb 2011, 02:19pm
Can you boot into Safe mode command prompt? You could edit the registry key from there.

Tweezy
15 Feb 2011, 02:43pm
Can you boot into Safe mode command prompt? You could edit the registry key from there.

I tried that as well, unable to boot same error message... I'm going to fetch old monitor from Garage tomorrow.

Shadowex3
15 Feb 2011, 10:32pm
Out of range means your screen doesn't support the resolution and/or refresh rate you're trying to do.

Spiffy
16 Feb 2011, 07:22am
Out of range means your screen doesn't support the resolution and/or refresh rate you're trying to do.

... Which is why were are trying to fix it without connecting it to another monitor. Are you high?

tinkerbell
16 Feb 2011, 08:32am
you could edit the ini file through booting up msdos, but that would be more hastle than getting the other monitor.

Tweezy
16 Feb 2011, 08:41am
Ok, all sorted. I plugged the new monitor in - same issue (Lmao!) then I had another attempt at hitting F8 to enable VGA mode...

Well, finally it decided to work! If I hit F8 just after the flash screen with mobo info it bought up the option!

All sorted now, thanks guys :)