PDA

View Full Version : Hosni Mubarak steps down as president of Egypt

Turtlefiish
11 Feb 2011, 11:13am
Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down as president of Egypt.
In an announcement on state TV, Vice-President Omar Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the military.

It came as thousands massed in Cairo and other Egyptian cities for an 18th day of protest to demand Mr Mubarak's resignation.

Protesters responded by cheering, waving flags, embracing and sounding car horns. "The people have brought down the regime," they chanted.

Mr Suleiman said Mr Mubarak had handed power to the high command of the armed forces.

"In the name of God the merciful, the compassionate, citizens, during these very difficult circumstances Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down from the office of president of the republic and has charged the high council of the armed forces to administer the affairs of the country," he said.

"May God help everybody."

The military high command is headed by Defence Minister Mohamed Hussein Tantawi.

Mr Mubarak has already left Cairo and is in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh where he has a residence, officials say

What next then...?

Drox
11 Feb 2011, 11:48am
Now lets see if it turns into a military regime, or the military gives the country back to the people.

Sembrik
11 Feb 2011, 11:49am
Bad things are going to take place :D

Jaffa
11 Feb 2011, 01:15pm
Now lets see if it turns into a military regime, or the military gives the country back to the people.

It was already a military regime

Drox
11 Feb 2011, 01:49pm

I guess I should have said, stays a military regime then.

SgtJoo
11 Feb 2011, 05:06pm

No, it was a democracy. Duh.

Jaffa
11 Feb 2011, 05:16pm
No, it was a democracy. Duh.

?

SgtJoo
11 Feb 2011, 05:25pm
?

President Mubarak, come on now.

Turtlefiish
11 Feb 2011, 05:29pm
President Mubarak, come on now.

Election =/= Democracy.

SgtJoo
11 Feb 2011, 05:29pm
Election =/= Democracy.

Sarcasm = Sarcasm

Crazy Swede
11 Feb 2011, 05:30pm
I would actually dare to say, the military gives the country back to the people by some election (without cheating). At this point, the people of Egypt has proven how far they are ready to go.

SgtJoo
11 Feb 2011, 05:36pm
I would actually dare to say, the military gives the country back to the people by some election (without cheating). At this point, the people of Egypt has proven how far they are ready to go.

And do the people have automatic weapons?

Yeah, thought as much.

Crazy Swede
11 Feb 2011, 05:39pm

Yeah, thought as much.

No but look at how big military they have, and then how big population they have.

Jaffa
11 Feb 2011, 05:40pm
Joo, go take your crap to somewhere not the politics section

SgtJoo
11 Feb 2011, 05:43pm
Joo, go take your crap to somewhere not the politics section

What's that supposed to mean, exactly?

Jaffa
11 Feb 2011, 05:45pm
You are coming off as some kid failing at trying to be funny

SgtJoo
11 Feb 2011, 05:47pm
You are coming off as some kid failing at trying to be funny

Riiiiiiiight.

Don't project your own insecurities onto me "kid".

Shadowex3
15 Feb 2011, 10:45pm

Yeah, thought as much.

And Mubarak for all his faults did recognize israel, was slowly modernising the country, and wasn't putting up with Hamas' shit.

Now there's a legitimate chance of Egypt falling to extremists. How this goes depends a LOT on internal arab culture and politics right now... I hate to say it but for once our best bet would be to put a ball-gag on everyone from the president down to clinton so the extremists can't jump up and say "See? Look what the americans want you to do".