PDA

View Full Version : Spiritwind's Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc)

Spiritwind
15 Jan 2011, 06:24pm
Tech Support Help TicketWhat general section does your problem fall under
Internet/Connection Issues(Lag choke etc) What is your Operating System (OS)
Windows 7 If you use linux, post the build and any other pertinent info (kde/gnome etc)
- Have you tried the latest stable drivers for your product if any exist? If so please list the number/name of them in the box here.
Yes Do you understand complex tech explanations
Yes Would you prefer more personalized and simpler help?
Yes Do you have antivirus or anti-malware installed?
Yes What is the name of your Antivirus/anti malware?
Regrun and AVG Free Who made your PC? (Company name or you)
Myself What is the model number of the part or PC you are having issues with?
64-bit Windows 7 and Old network cards. Please state your problem here
Hey,
I've narrowed my latest lag problems down to my Network card. It seems that a lot of Wireless network adapters out there do not support windows 7 64-bit very well.
I am only about 50 feet from my Router, and its a good router - and I get extreme amounts of lag in game as well as bar jumps on my wireless network.
I have researched it greatly, the drivers for my current Wireless card only go to Windows Vista 32-bit.
My network connection will jump around to 4 bars down to 1 bar very quickly, but most of the time it will stay at 3 bars. The network connection was pretty strong and I rarely had trouble with it before I got 64-bit edition.
I am looking for a USB or PCI network card that works great with Windows 7 64-bit and will have a strong connect at 75-100 feet from the router.
Any recommendations?
My current spending range is $25-60 and if possible I would like to purchase it from Newegg.
Thanks in advance.

Crazy Swede
16 Jan 2011, 09:21am
Before you spend any money. Make a restore point, then install the driver for Vista 32-bit. 32-bit programs often works on 64-bit OS. And Vista is allmost the same OS as Windows 7. If it doesn't work, THEN consider buying a new network card.

duhoh
16 Jan 2011, 09:51am
^ solid suggestion from CS.

Shadowex3
16 Jan 2011, 06:05pm
Not even close, vista and win7 look similar but are quite different under the hood.

Also there can be many other problems with wireless connections ranging from interference to the fact that wifi just isnt reliable in general.

duhoh
17 Jan 2011, 12:35pm
yes, but windows 7 has a high compatibility rate with drivers for other OS's in my experience. i've been able to get xp/vista drivers to work on 7 multiple times, so it doesn't hurt to try IMO

Spiffy
18 Jan 2011, 09:12am
yes, but windows 7 has a high compatibility rate with drivers for other OS's in my experience. i've been able to get xp/vista drivers to work on 7 multiple times, so it doesn't hurt to try IMO

Yes, but you can't ever expect a 32 bit driver to work in a 64 bit environment.

EDIT: Could you tell us what the models are of your current router and wireless card?