PDA

View Full Version : China and the Olympics

phatman76
15 Apr 2008, 09:27pm
I am actually having trouble thinking about this issue. China has a really troubled past of human rights violations (secret police, tibet, etc. ). Now that they want to host the Olympics, people are saying that we should boycott them. Sort of ironic considering how much we purchase from them, right?

I want to get some opinions and discussions going about how the US and the free world should address China's problems, if at all, and what their lack of freedoms means as they enter the global stage as an economic superpower.

Discuss\

Italian Jew
15 Apr 2008, 10:12pm
Well, boycotting the olymipcs...which really has no business on the political stage, is a dumb idea. The Chinese are not going to care that we don't show up to a ceremony. What they are doing is unjust and all, but what can we do? Nothing would stop them from doing it because we are not going to let go of our major manufacturer and we aren't going to attack them. We can point our fingers and ask them to stop, but that's about it short of starting a war. I really don't like being here with our thumbs up our asses, but what can ya do?

LegalSmash
15 Apr 2008, 10:37pm
This post was brought to you by 2 Scotch on the Rocks.. VAT 69 GOLD people, get it, learn it, love it....

As for china:

We showed up to the German Olympics, and those were run by the fucking Nazis. The NAZIS. I think that we should have our athletes compete, and win, or lose, for the sake of what the olympics stands for(unless the palestinians go apeshit and start killing israeli athletes)...international competition and fun.

Showing up, and giving china a little bit of "positive" screen time, may make them open up a little. Unless they are really like the Nazis... and then, well, lets all get ready for the draft. LOL.

In all seriousness. WTF would boycotting accomplish but likely alienate our largest source of cheap labor and mail order brides. Even doing it seems preposterous.... WTF does everyone think, they are actually going to free tibet? These guys arent in it for a popularity contest, they are in it for money and recognition.

the formula the protesting fools see is:

"Olympics @ china therefore they'z gonna want people to come.
If we'z protests, and hassle the torch, maybez, maaaybeeez, they free tibet... an area they have legal claim to"
or
1. china hosting olympics
2. we protest like idiots, asking they free tibet, or something equally unlikely, like we stop supporting israel.
3.?????
4. PROFIT!!!!

The reality is
1. china is hosting olympics,
2. protesters act like assholes, showing they are MORE irrational and stupid than usual for protesting something even MORE unlikely to end than their usual protest ideas: iraq, gay rights, woman rights, gay woman rights, child molesting asshat rights, etc.
3. nobody gives a shit
4. olympics go off without a hitch.
5. business as usual.

I think we should show up, be nice, and maybe some of our larger athletes nail many many many of their women in order to possibly throw off their future numerical superiority

PotshotPolka
16 Apr 2008, 10:47am
Did you never see Munich Havok?

Red
16 Apr 2008, 10:55am
Did you never see Munich Havok?

:rlol:

PotshotPolka
16 Apr 2008, 11:06am
:rlol:

Legalsmash's joke
|
|
|
:angry: =Havok

Slavic
16 Apr 2008, 01:22pm
I fully agree with Havok, the Olympics should be beyond political agendas and international intrigue. It is a sense of pride found in friendly competition.

I wonder how many of those protesters are wearing shirts, jeans, and shoes all made in China. If they truly want to protest China, they should work on detaching themselves from Chinese goods and organizing boycotts against Chinese manufacturers. Do they truly think that China would free Tibet because it is getting hit by bad PR in America lolz.

Its like going to Walmart to buy poster board and markers before you go to the anti big business protest. Protesters nowadays are just narrow sighted bandwagon jumpers. As soon as the Olympics are over, they are going to find the next new thing to protest on our "fair and balanced" news programs.

They should learn from the protesters from the early 60's era. The protesters back then boycotted, formed their own self sustained communities, produced most of their own goods, and didn't act like dicks by rushing police or innocent Olympic fire torches.

Do we need to set up a 12 step program for Olympic fire torches who've been publicly assaulted?

VirDeBello
16 Apr 2008, 04:00pm
Well weren't we like that with the labour laws when America was starting out or any other country? I mean we didn't do the exact same thing as them but somewhat similar right? And plus the Olympics is a honourable game. Back in the day (like greek/roman times) Wars were put on cease fire just for the Olympic games and there were no hard feelings at these games. Just good fun. :thumbup1:

Captain Colon
16 Apr 2008, 04:08pm
We showed up to the German Olympics, and those were run by the fucking Nazis. The NAZIS. I think that we should have our athletes compete, and win, or lose, for the sake of what the olympics stands for(unless the palestinians go apeshit and start killing israeli athletes)...international competition and fun.

Showing up, and giving china a little bit of "positive" screen time, may make them open up a little. Unless they are really like the Nazis... and then, well, lets all get ready for the draft. LOL.

In all seriousness. WTF would boycotting accomplish but likely alienate our largest source of cheap labor and mail order brides. Even doing it seems preposterous.... WTF does everyone think, they are actually going to free tibet? These guys arent in it for a popularity contest, they are in it for money and recognition.
That's what I think everyone has a problem with: giving money and recognition to a country with that kind of record. Wasn't Berlin chosen for the 1936 Olympics before the Nazis even gained power? And even if it wasn't, I don't think they were far enough into the conquer Europe thing at the time for anyone to really have a compelling reason to switch cities. China's history of human rights abuses is well-known to the international community.

LegalSmash
16 Apr 2008, 04:36pm
no, you are right... Germany had not yet started WW2, they were just planning it, they were just disenfranchising jews, killing the retards, and arresting homos, dissidents, communists, and anyone else considered outside of hitler's purview of "aryan society." By then they had also pretty much wiped their collective asses with the Versailles treaty and the non-aggression/armament agreements they signed after WW1.

The difference is that Tibet IS part of the Chinese areas. Human rights, etc. is not a very widespread concept on that side of the world, unless someone is fighting us, and then they bitch about us violating their human rights, which they didnt have 4 minutes prior to the bombing according to the previous regime.

Again, I dont see the point of doing any boycotting. We still kiss China's ass every step of the way, and if it was REALLY an issue, they wouldnt have chosen china for the site of the olympics when they did. There are plenty of places they could have had it outside of china that has less of a "history".

PotshotPolka
16 Apr 2008, 04:44pm
The problem is that when people think about Tibet, they think about a homeless Dalai Lama in exile :P.

Dracula
16 Apr 2008, 05:47pm
It dosent matter either way the Chinese are gonna keep being like this unless we do more then dont show at the Olimpics plus it realy dosent effect us all that grately plus realy what is so great about Tibet some country in Asia big deal not our fault they wont fight back they just protest wich by now they should have learnd wont work they will just get locked up killed ect.

LegalSmash
16 Apr 2008, 05:55pm
^ HOLY FUCKING RUN-ON SENTENCE BATMAN!!!! :scared:

Polka, and the Dalai is apparently more attractive to americans than the boatloads of jews that we turned away prior to our entry in WW2 according to these protestors I suppose.

Not deriding your idea, bc you are spot on, just the whole rationale for these protesters' idea...

Dracula
16 Apr 2008, 05:58pm
I am a firm believer in the wall of text with no punctuation.:001_tt2:

broncoty
16 Apr 2008, 06:02pm
Why does everyone take me too seriously?

Anyways, my point is, is that the Chinese are showing incredibly restraint considering what they've done before to protestors.

ya we should give them a cookie.........

Italian Jew
16 Apr 2008, 07:01pm
a fortune cookie...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4479/fortunecookieyu2.jpg

PotshotPolka
17 Apr 2008, 05:06am
All I'm saying is that if you look at previous Chinese protests you'll see that they get fed up, pull out all stops and go in shooting.

*Cough* Tiananmen Square *Cough*