PDA

View Full Version : Darkrp or Perp lite?

Snitch&Death
21 Dec 2010, 11:06pm
Maybe should bring back a roleplay server on gmod. I know darkrp was a disaster but lets give it one more chance but with the rules built.

Lucas15
22 Dec 2010, 02:47pm
PERP FTW :D

Paralyzed
22 Dec 2010, 02:50pm
If you're willing to get a blue name once, and donate to SG for PERP sureeeeee. SUPPORT. You're suggesting PERP which costs money, if you donate... SG got your support and might be able to do this.

b0red
22 Dec 2010, 02:55pm
darkrp because its quick and easy

plus i can get massive weed health bonuses

Chaoz`
22 Dec 2010, 03:09pm
wasn't DarkRP borked?
and PERP costs money

Dracula
22 Dec 2010, 04:13pm
Wont work, we cant handle it.

Spartan
22 Dec 2010, 05:35pm
Right, instead of just saying no, I'll explain this time.

While I admit Stranded is a bit of a failure now, we do need something different. Dark RP was tried and it brought players to begin with, but then barely any players were playing it towards the end. Lemme try and summarize some things that made me take it off.

1. The server had a constant habit of crashing no matter what I did to reduce the server stress. No matter what I do, the server will have a lot of entities and props. A lot of people driving, pushing props through walls, spawning them in the skybox etc. It's a lot of stress on the server compared to ttt or any other mod we have on css. Not to mention the maps themselves are huge, take ages to download and with the server slots that we had, they would seem pretty empty.

2. The sheer amount of extra things I had to add caused a massive amount of downloads. Cars, drug plant, drugz mod, weapons, skins for supporters and stuff.... it was a lot. Nobody likes a lot of downloads.

3. There was one rule and one rule only that people hated, and that was the nlr rule. Simply taken from Potshot's view, cops are exempt from it, like a gta scenario. But nobody seemed to like this, even though the alternative was that gangstars could kill cops and get away with it every time. What would be the point in there being cops?

4. The amount of things I had to restrict in tools, and the props I had to ban was annoying. People would abuse the tools to the point of making the server lag/crash.

There's probably other things here and there but I forget since it was a while ago. DarkRP is a well scripted mod, but notoriously known to be the kiddies play ground and QQ central. It's infamously hated throughout the gmod community.

Perp was suggested by Garf, who did think of maybe buying it. But have you seen the problems with the donations this month? Sure it's December, but there's no point in making a thread for it unless you got some sort of reassurance from Garf that he would buy the mod. IMO, it's a waste of money completely. The amount they charge to distribute it... no way.

All in all, will DarkRP come back? Maybe. Stranded needs to go with the other mods tried and failed. The majority of mods these days are broken since they're years old. Dark RP is still worked on however AFAIK. I haven't checked the google project on it recently but last time I checked (which was monnths ago) it was still active.

Edit: Re-reading my post, I remembered the server was basically cops v robbers. Every job became pointless except drug dealers/car dealers/gun salesman, all of which, would just buy stuff for themselves.

Lucas15
23 Dec 2010, 08:30am
If you're willing to get a blue name once, and donate to SG for PERP sureeeeee. SUPPORT. You're suggesting PERP which costs money, if you donate... SG got your support and might be able to do this.

I already knew this. You have to be a lucky mother fucker to catch hunts on at the right time and PERP2 is $400 USD. I was the one who told Garfield about this and that he should get it for SG at first.

Neutronrocks
24 Dec 2010, 04:17pm
Get PERP if January Donations are good.

I completely agree with Spartan about DarkRP. Every point he made was correct.

But I actually LIKED cops v robbers! It was annoying with other classes because when there were three car dealers, nobody would sell me a car for double the cost to them to purchase!

PERP has a load of downloads too. And isn't PERP Lite cheap/free?

Nasu
24 Dec 2010, 04:21pm
Printers were too easy to get money from

Neji
24 Dec 2010, 05:56pm
Right, instead of just saying no, I'll explain this time.

While I admit Stranded is a bit of a failure now, we do need something different. Dark RP was tried and it brought players to begin with, but then barely any players were playing it towards the end. Lemme try and summarize some things that made me take it off.

1. The server had a constant habit of crashing no matter what I did to reduce the server stress. No matter what I do, the server will have a lot of entities and props. A lot of people driving, pushing props through walls, spawning them in the skybox etc. It's a lot of stress on the server compared to ttt or any other mod we have on css. Not to mention the maps themselves are huge, take ages to download and with the server slots that we had, they would seem pretty empty.

2. The sheer amount of extra things I had to add caused a massive amount of downloads. Cars, drug plant, drugz mod, weapons, skins for supporters and stuff.... it was a lot. Nobody likes a lot of downloads.

Have you ever seen a DarkRP without a lot of downloads?

3. There was one rule and one rule only that people hated, and that was the nlr rule. Simply taken from Potshot's view, cops are exempt from it, like a gta scenario. But nobody seemed to like this, even though the alternative was that gangstars could kill cops and get away with it every time. What would be the point in there being cops?

Every DarkRP is like that. This ain't seriousRP. If you get Cops Vs Gangsters on SeriousRP, then there is a time to QQ...

4. The amount of things I had to restrict in tools, and the props I had to ban was annoying. People would abuse the tools to the point of making the server lag/crash.

Some mods just crash the DarkRP mod. Just get the original darkRP, no other mods except FadingDoorTool and an extra class for Supporters.

There's probably other things here and there but I forget since it was a while ago. DarkRP is a well scripted mod, but notoriously known to be the kiddies play ground and QQ central. It's infamously hated throughout the gmod community.

It is a lot of QQ, and it's full of little kids, but it is fun as hell. We all know little kids get raged hard, so just get dirty sanchez in there to make them rage :P.

Perp was suggested by Garf, who did think of maybe buying it. But have you seen the problems with the donations this month? Sure it's December, but there's no point in making a thread for it unless you got some sort of reassurance from Garf that he would buy the mod. IMO, it's a waste of money completely. The amount they charge to distribute it... no way.

Although I would love Perp server, I know it won't work out. Lets just stick with DarkRP. Or we can get SeriousRP going to if you want to.

All in all, will DarkRP come back? Maybe. Stranded needs to go with the other mods tried and failed. The majority of mods these days are broken since they're years old. Dark RP is still worked on however AFAIK. I haven't checked the google project on it recently but last time I checked (which was monnths ago) it was still active.

Ohh, DarkRP is still popular.

^

And no, I don't want to sound like a douchebag.

Riperzz
25 Dec 2010, 04:23am
Darkrp wont and will never work.

Methelod
25 Dec 2010, 10:03am
Ok, find a popular mod (somesort of RP) and just stick with it, I'd suggest a jailbreak RP.

Snitch&Death
26 Dec 2010, 12:31am
I'm just saying this... But i played on another DARKRP server right now and they have a red vs blue gangster. Gun dealers are a bit involved and drug dealers to. I suggest you have Hitman / Bounty hunters they seem like a big rage in the server. So the Red and Blue versus each other goes a bit like this. There's a red gang and a blue gang. The gangs are allowed to kill each other but gun stores are safe areas so no killing in gun stores and nlr and no spawn camping. Red and blues can fight it out to death if its not near spawn or if they are not repeatly getting camped there is a rule of letting the person you killed 3 minutes before you kill them again.

2DG
26 Dec 2010, 04:54am
Lol, I'd say make a GMOD DR, rather than this crap.